PDA

View Full Version : If not BCM, then who?

KFields
07-24-11, 14:53
I'm really wanting to buy the BCM mod 2, but everytime I look to order one they have stopped ordering because of the demand. What is the next best brand after them?

GeorgiaBoy
07-24-11, 14:57
Daniel Defense. Although they wouldn't be "after them", they are just as good.

I would say DD because similar to BCM they offer a wide, wide range of possible options from the factory.

GermanSynergy
07-24-11, 14:58
These folks (http://palmettostatearmory.com/2240.php) have Colt SP 6920's in stock right now, for around $1064, shipped.

Iraqgunz
07-24-11, 15:37
There are plenty of options. LMT, Noveske (basic models), Daniel Defense, Colt 6920. Have you bothered to look around at all and read any of the threads here?

titsonritz
07-24-11, 16:02
Looks to me BCM4 Lower Receiver Groups and COSMETIC BLEM Lower Receiver Groups have a 3-5 week delivery time, so what’s the problem?

jhs1969
07-24-11, 19:05
Or you could do as I did;

I ordered a BCM 14.5 upper (insert whatever upper you want here) when I found it in stock.

I then ordered a BCM BCG and Gunfigher CH when back in stock.

And then ordered a blem lower receiver from G&R (kudos btw).

There is more than one way to skin this animal, do some research, be patient and get what you want.

Good luck

Wiggity
07-24-11, 19:16
I'd go with a Daniel Defense OP

OIPactual
07-24-11, 19:22
^ this

arizonaranchman
07-24-11, 20:21
Or you could do as I did;

I ordered a BCM 14.5 upper (insert whatever upper you want here) when I found it in stock.

I then ordered a BCM BCG and Gunfigher CH when back in stock.

And then ordered a blem lower receiver from G&R (kudos btw).

There is more than one way to skin this animal, do some research, be patient and get what you want.

Good luck

Bingo!

This is the way to go. Get the upper, then the lower, the BCG, the CH and put it together over a period of a couple months and you've got your BCM and are good to go.

Jake Bauer
07-24-11, 22:36
Daniel Defense, colt, LMT.

Dunderway
07-24-11, 22:40
There were some reasonable complete BCMs on GunGroker today.

warnerd
07-25-11, 03:25
I ordered a BCM 14.5 Light Weight Upper and then bought a DD BCG because of its good price. Bought a Blem complete lower from G&R. Put on a TA-33 ACOG I already had and now I'm waiting for my Gun Fighter charging handle to come in from Midway so I guess me and jhs1969 Have a very similar build going....

C4IGrant
07-25-11, 08:43
Looks to me BCM4 Lower Receiver Groups and COSMETIC BLEM Lower Receiver Groups have a 3-5 week delivery time, so what’s the problem?

We have BCM lowers in stock now.

So no need to wait. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
07-25-11, 08:44
I'm really wanting to buy the BCM mod 2, but everytime I look to order one they have stopped ordering because of the demand. What is the next best brand after them?

Which gun are you looking for? We might have it in stock.

C4

BLINDFIRE
07-25-11, 09:31
If I may (I know I'm extremely new), I ordered my Daniel Defense through smartgunner.com and had an excellent experience.

g5m
07-25-11, 09:41

Contact GandR Tactical--see above-- and see what he/they can do for you: www.GRTactical.com

Or buy a Colt 6920 from GandR at their unbelievably low price.

JW1069
07-25-11, 14:42
Order the BCM complete upper and lower of your choice, seperately. By doing so, you will save a little bit of money and open up a ton of options for upper configurations. I have a few BCM rifles in the safe and this was the route I went. Absolutely worth any short wait time. ;)

VIP3R 237
07-29-11, 20:20
i personally went with an LMT upper, i cant wait for it to get here, should be anyday now.... did i mention i can't wait?

BLINDFIRE
07-30-11, 05:30
i personally went with an LMT upper, i cant wait for it to get here, should be anyday now.... did i mention i can't wait?

VIP3R, I know where your coming from! I must have jumped on the UPS tracking site a half a dozen times a day. The minute I received the notification that my FFL had signed for it I was on my way down. :D

VIP3R 237
07-30-11, 19:38
Oh its been bad, my tracking # says wednesday; so wednesday afternoon if you hear a girlish squeal of joy in the distance you'll know i got my package.

BLINDFIRE
07-30-11, 20:32
There are few things in this world worth squeeling like a girl over and this is one of them!

BH321
07-30-11, 22:02
You guys say that he should just buy the lower and upper separately and have a day, but you need to take into account that if he is under 21 then he can not do that as the actual legal age to purchase firearms in the USA is 21 with a special provision allowing for the purchase of non-NFA long arms at age 18.:mad: The lower receiver of an AR 15 is according to the ATF a firearm (because it is the serialized part) but not a long arm and as such can not be purchased through a dealer until the age of 21 has been reached.

However, if he is 21 or older then I do agree with you that he should purchase the lower and upper separately. Additionally, if he can not acquire the BCG from BCM then I would recommend purchasing one of the new ones that Colt has begun selling through their site.

Clarkm
07-30-11, 22:03
I like Daniel Defense, Noveske and Colt.

I may like others too, but I have not owned others that I like. I have owned others that I do not like.

Hatchie
07-31-11, 04:47

I ordered a blem lower last month and it arrived in 4 days.
One of the guys in my unit ordered the regular (non-blem)
lower last week and got it this week.

Just checked and they're both in stock. Grant has lowers too,
in stock.

Get you a lower and keep an eye on the Equipment Exchange.
I've seen several uppers that may not be at bargain basement
prices but are priced below retail. Same goes for bolt carrier
groups.

Great way to save a few bucks for ammo, optics and maybe even a class down the road.

Iraqgunz
07-31-11, 05:09
I may be wrong about this. Under 21 applies to STRIPPED lowers only as they can be used to build pistol or rifles.

If it has a stock and is already assembled then he is good to go. So you may want to re-read what they are saying.

You guys say that he should just buy the lower and upper separately and have a day, but you need to take into account that if he is under 21 then he can not do that as the actual legal age to purchase firearms in the USA is 21 with a special provision allowing for the purchase of non-NFA long arms at age 18.:mad: The lower receiver of an AR 15 is according to the ATF a firearm (because it is the serialized part) but not a long arm and as such can not be purchased through a dealer until the age of 21 has been reached.

However, if he is 21 or older then I do agree with you that he should purchase the lower and upper separately. Additionally, if he can not acquire the BCG from BCM then I would recommend purchasing one of the new ones that Colt has begun selling through their site.

Scoby
07-31-11, 08:55
I may be wrong about this. Under 21 applies to STRIPPED lowers only as they can be used to build pistol or rifles.

If it has a stock and is already assembled then he is good to go. So you may want to re-read what they are saying.

This is the way I understand it.

If I wanted a M4 profile rifle, I'd build it.
If that wasn't an option and a couple of hundred more dollars wasn't either, I'd get this:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=sc-moe&cat=152

BH321
07-31-11, 09:06

Iraqgunz, please reread the instructions relating to ATF Form 4473 (5300.9) Part 1 (Revised August 2008) Question 18 found here (http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf). It states that "If a frame or receiver can only be made into a long gun (rifle or shotgun), it is still a frame or receiver not a handgun or long gun. However, they are still 'firearms' by definition and subject to the same GCA limitations as any other firearms. See section 921(a)(3)(b). 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b)(1) makes it unlawful for a licensee to sell any firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to any person under the age of 21. Since a frame or receiver for a firearm, to include one that can only be made into a long arm, is a 'firearm other than a shotgun or rifle.' it cannot be transferred to anyone under the age of 21.".

steelonsteel
07-31-11, 10:28
if it has a rifle stock on it it, it is a rifle then.

Iraqgunz
07-31-11, 11:42
As I stated before- I believe that it applies only to stripped lowers and not complete ones that have a stock attached. That is because you cannot use a lower with buttstock attached (that was purchased in that configuration) to build anything but a rifle.

Maybe Grant or Robb J will chime in.

Iraqgunz, please reread the instructions relating to ATF Form 4473 (5300.9) Part 1 (Revised August 2008) Question 18 found here (http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf). It states that "If a frame or receiver can only be made into a long gun (rifle or shotgun), it is still a frame or receiver not a handgun or long gun. However, they are still 'firearms' by definition and subject to the same GCA limitations as any other firearms. See section 921(a)(3)(b). 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b)(1) makes it unlawful for a licensee to sell any firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to any person under the age of 21. Since a frame or receiver for a firearm, to include one that can only be made into a long arm, is a 'firearm other than a shotgun or rifle.' it cannot be transferred to anyone under the age of 21.".

DeltaSierra
07-31-11, 19:52
As I stated before- I believe that it applies only to stripped lowers and not complete ones that have a stock attached. That is because you cannot use a lower with buttstock attached (that was purchased in that configuration) to build anything but a rifle.

That was the way I understood it as well.

BH321
07-31-11, 20:23
That is because you cannot use a lower with buttstock attached (that was purchased in that configuration) to build anything but a rifle.

"If a frame or receiver can only be made into a long gun (rifle or shotgun), it is still a frame or receiver not a handgun or long gun.

Iraqgunz, according Title 27 CFR Chapter 2 Part 478 - Commerce in Firearms and Ammunition in Subpart 478.11 "Firearm frame or receiver. That part of the firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel. [Bold present in original]". This regulation is the regulation that defines a frame for part 478.99(b)(1) which defines certain unlawful sales or deliveries by licensed dealers. Additionally, several other statutes and regulations further specifically define a firearm frame or receiver as a frame that is not a component part of an assembled rifle though none that I can find directly related to the above regulation.

C4IGrant
07-31-11, 20:27
Stripped lowers have to be sold to someone that is 21.

Another interesting thing is that I believe that if you buy two or more stripped lowers (within 5 business days), the FFL dealer has to fill out paperwork and report the sale to the ATF (just like if you bought two pistols).

C4

DeltaSierra
07-31-11, 20:31

Another interesting thing is that I believe that if you buy two or more stripped lowers (within 5 business days), the FFL dealer has to fill out paperwork and report the sale to the ATF (just like if you bought two pistols).

C4

But what about lowers that have a buttstock or a buffer tube attached?

They are not stripped receivers...

I understood that ATF considered a "lower half" as a rifle as there was a buttstock attached....

BH321
07-31-11, 20:33

C4Grant, the consensus has already been established on stripped lower receivers, we are currently discussing "complete" lower receivers that already have the grip, stock, and lower parts kit installed. Interesting note on the ATF paperwork for multiple lowers though.

C4IGrant
07-31-11, 20:34
But what about lowers that have a buttstock or a buffer tube attached?

They are not stripped receivers...

I understood that ATF considered a "lower half" as a rifle as there was a buttstock attached....

Those are classified as rifles.

C4

DeltaSierra
07-31-11, 20:36
Those are classified as rifles.

C4

Thanks for the clarification.