PDA

View Full Version : New BCM upper?

TCB
07-24-11, 17:43
I am currently building up a new rifle and am looking for some advise. I currently run a BCM 16" Middy with a T-1 and am very pleased with it.

What I'm looking to do for the new one is to run a 1-4 or 1-6X optic on it (haven't decided what scope yet).

I'm thinking of getting a new BCM 14.5 Middy lightweight to run with the T-1 with and swapping the 16" over to run a 1-4/1-6X with.

My question is when using a magnified optic should I just go ahead and get a nicer barrel (BFH or SS) for my 16" Middy or complete new upper (BFH or SS) or is the Std. BCM barrel "good enough" for a semiprecission / "Recce" kind of thing? I'll be using it for 3 gun, classes, etc.

I'm just trying to figure out if I want to buy 1 or 2 new uppers? Thanks for the advise.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-24-11, 17:49
How far do you think you'll be shooting?

There is a SPR vs Reece thread around that talked a lot about magnified optics like you'll be considering.

MistWolf
07-24-11, 17:54
Before spending a pile of cash on new barrels and/or new uppers, install the scope you want to try on your current upper and shoot it. It may be your current upper will work fine. If it doesn't, you'll gain a better understanding of what will work and why. This, more than anything, will help you decide what direction to take

TCB
07-24-11, 18:47
Yes, That's what I'm thinking. Just shoot it and see how it goes. My only hesitation is that I'm going to be using a TRX tube and will have to cut down the FSB to install it, so I figured if I'm going to get a different barrel anyways.... just do it all at once while installing the tube and be done with it. Kind of a economy of motion thing. That way I can sell of the Std. barrel/upper with an uncut FSB.

I did check out the "Recce" vs "SPR" thread (great info) and thats what led me to stick with the 16" rather than go out to 18". I think the Std. BCM barrel will be fine, I'm just wondering how much better a nicer barrel will be for me shooting with magnification in the 4-600 yard range.

I'm not worried about the optic yet (I'm going to run it with irons untill I decide) I've got some buddies with different optics I can borrow so that should make up my mind. I'm thinking something like the Accupoint or Vortex....

Wormydog1724
07-24-11, 20:26
I've got a 16" White Oak Armament barrel with a Troy TRX Extreme 13" that I use in 3 gun. It is topped with a 1-4 TR24G Accupoint and I love it. I can make hits at 400 fairly easily.. Haven't tried 500 but it should be possible with some work. 300 is easy. Too easy. Upclose its fast. I've got pics and youtube vids of my rifle and me running it.

TCB
07-24-11, 21:17
Thats basically the rig I'm building. Did you see a difference at distance when you went to the nicer barrel (if you had a std. on there before)?

Wormydog1724
07-24-11, 21:22
I have an 18" chrome moly barrel with a 3-9x40 TR20-2 Accupoint, and I feel more confident with my 16" WOA stainless barrel with the 1-4 TR24G.

I wish my WOA was fluted. It's kinda heavy.

TCB
07-24-11, 21:33
So, the upgraded barrel was a marked improvement?

Wormydog1724
07-24-11, 22:20
I'm not sure if it was significant. But I was out shooting yesterday and with the 18" I was on a 22" plate all day long at 300. With the 16" WOA I was on a 12" plate all day long at 300. I haven't done a true test, not sure that I would even know how.

I have a hard time explaining fully in a thread. If you want to PM me some specific questions, I can usually answer them better. I am not an expert, just give my opinions and experiences.

MistWolf
07-24-11, 22:41
Yes, That's what I'm thinking. Just shoot it and see how it goes. My only hesitation is that I'm going to be using a TRX tube and will have to cut down the FSB to install it, so I figured if I'm going to get a different barrel anyways.... just do it all at once while installing the tube and be done with it. Kind of a economy of motion thing. That way I can sell of the Std. barrel/upper with an uncut FSB...

I see where you're coming from. Ask yourself this- Is it more important to save a little money & time, or to do and learn?

TCB
07-25-11, 01:01
I hear that. Ive always just tried to just suck it up and topgrade everything I have so I can just focus on training rather than screwing around with gear. I figure if I'm going to end up with an upgraded barrel down the road I might as well just do it now if is going to make a difference out around the 400 mark.

I don't think that blowing $ on hear is going to make me a better shooter but if what I have is not going to cut it in this roll im not going to cry over the expense of a better barrel.

I'm just wondering how much more accurate the BCM BHF or SS barrels are over the STD.

warnerd
07-25-11, 03:15
I have a 14.5 BCM Light Weight Upper and I can tell you that I'm very impressed in its accuracy and I think you would be happy with it. Honestly I don't think there is a big difference between 16 and 14.5 barrels. I think you should just keep with your BCM 16 upper because there honestly isn't a much improment in accuracy with the others.

TCB
07-25-11, 09:30
Thanks, that's just the kind of thing I'm looking to hear.

ra2bach
07-25-11, 09:48
How far do you think you'll be shooting?

There is a SPR vs Reece thread around that talked a lot about magnified optics like you'll be considering.

R-E-C-C-E.

or is this now some kind of joke that I'm not aware of...