PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on the new USMC bayonet?

jhs1969
07-24-11, 20:38
I have seen them a couple of times and I am begining to grow impressed with the blade design, length and the fact that it uses 1095 carbon steel. I recently asked my Marine knephew about his thoughts on it, he was very happy with it during his tour in A-stan.

My thinking is that it would make a very good field blade considering the mentioned attributes and could also double as an actual bayonet (although I can't actually see much need for this use).

Anyone else have any thoughts or advice with this one?

Apricotshot
07-25-11, 08:23
I never really used my knife for anything other than opening MRE's. Otherwise it stayed mounted on my chest per my unit's SOP for SAW gunners. That aside, it's a pretty tough knife and kept an edge pretty well for what I used it for. The few times I used it to pry open ammo boxes the point held up fine.

Failure2Stop
07-25-11, 09:21
It's too thick for GP use.
If you just want to stab with it or stick it to the end of a rifle for recreations of Napoloenic warfare, knock yourself out.

JSantoro
07-25-11, 09:49
It's best uses are that of the following:

-tent peg.
-thing that throws off one's weapon zero because it alters the jump angle of the barrel when attached because it weighs two frickin' pounds.

My own unit decided that, since we weren't doing crowd control, 2) it belonged in the bottom of our stored seabags, and 2) that our Marines should use human-sized knives and just wear a big Suunto watch to make up for any perceived physiological, ahhh, shortcomings.

Outside of crowd-control applications, bayonets are idiotic; oversized bayonets are idiotic...on a larger scale.

Yes, it holds up well, but so do many other knives that aren't the size of a damned cutlass.

jhs1969
07-25-11, 09:50
If you just want to stab with it or stick it to the end of a rifle for recreations of Napoloenic warfare, knock yourself out.

This is the insight I was looking for. Blade thickness is also why I never cared for the ESEE-5. I guess my $$ would probably be better spent for a more refined GP blade. Thanks for the compass correction.:smile:

jhs1969
07-25-11, 09:56

-tent peg.
-thing that throws off one's weapon zero because it alters the jump angle of the barrel when attached because it weighs two frickin' pounds.

My own unit decided that, since we weren't doing crowd control, 2) it belonged in the bottom of our stored seabags, and 2) that our Marines should use human-sized knives and just wear a big Suunto watch to make up for any perceived physiological, ahhh, shortcomings.

Outside of crowd-control applications, bayonets are idiotic; oversized bayonets are idiotic...on a larger scale.

Yes, it holds up well, but so do many other knives that aren't the size of a damned cutlass.

Thanks guys, my knewphew was combat engineer and said he used it for probing. It probably is a good blade for THAT purpose. I guess size isn't everything after all. The picture is becoming clearer. Thanks again.

Littlelebowski
07-25-11, 10:03

-tent peg.

Missed one. MRE opener for those too poor to buy a Randall to open those plastic packets of gastronomic bliss.

cody0341
07-25-11, 14:18
My bayonet sat in the bottom of my sea bag, right where our chain of command told us to put it.

R0N
07-25-11, 16:36
As a Bayonet it is a good bayonet, but that being said the utility of of a bayonet these days is low.

theblackknight
07-25-11, 17:11
Its a ok hammer in a pinch

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-25-11, 21:13
Mine did nothing but get stolen....YMMV.

SOW_0331
07-25-11, 21:22
I had something along the lines of twenty goats, killed, gutted, and cleaned with my bayo. Never felt like it wasn't working then.

Other than that, not too much use.:smile:

ETA: Not some weird sadistic thing, we needed to eat...

ApacheTactical
07-25-11, 22:14
I have seen them a couple of times and I am begining to grow impressed with the blade design, length and the fact that it uses 1095 carbon steel. I recently asked my Marine knephew about his thoughts on it, he was very happy with it during his tour in A-stan.

My thinking is that it would make a very good field blade considering the mentioned attributes and could also double as an actual bayonet (although I can't actually see much need for this use).

Anyone else have any thoughts or advice with this one?

For what its worth to you, i own one and have actually used it in the woods for cutting. chooping on 2-3 inch limbs for sometime now and it has held up well. If you are just a weekend woodsman it will do jut fine.

Apricotshot
07-26-11, 06:57
Mine did nothing but get stolen....YMMV.

lol gear adrift......or locked up, disappears all the same.

Abraxas
07-26-11, 07:37

Oh I disagree, it was great at opening MRE's :p

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-26-11, 22:04
I had something along the lines of twenty goats, killed, gutted, and cleaned with my bayo. Never felt like it wasn't working then.

Other than that, not too much use.:smile:

ETA: Not some weird sadistic thing, we needed to eat...

Ahh, a fellow goat killer haha.... (we needed food too)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/DSC00781.jpg