PDA

View Full Version : MARS Armament 1911 makeover

militarymoron
10-27-07, 23:06
last year i met steve morrison from MARS Armament at the SAR show and was impressed with his no-bling, utlitarian 1911s that he had on display. one of them was darryl bolke's THUG gun, which was featured this past summer in SureFire's Combat Tactics magazine. anyways, i had this series 80 stainless Colt govt model that i've had for 15 years, but didn't like too much (it was too good a deal to pass up when i bought it used), which i decided to send to steve for a makeover in jan '07. the pistol would string vertically (bushing/barrel slop)and when it got dirty, around 100 rounds, it'd get sluggish and sometimes fail to go into complete battery. not reliable enough to make it through a match. rather than send it out to get fixed, i just didn't shoot it much (i had 3 other 1911s), and it eventually became a safe queen.
after 10 months of anticipation (he moved his shop from utah to AZ, which took quite a bit of his time), i just got it back in my grubby hands. took some pics then headed to the range. i'm extremely pleased with the results - i think it looks great, and it shoots better than i do. no more accuracy probs, nor reliability probs.
i did pretty long writeup on my site, so rather than cut and paste it here, please follow the link for many more pics and details. it should answer most of your questions if you have any. steve was a great guy to deal with and really took his time to accomodate my wants.
link to writeup: http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/pistols.html#mars

BEFORE:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/before.jpg

AFTER:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/m1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/m2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/m3.jpg

SuicideHz
10-28-07, 00:05
Thank God!! I saw the first picture with the extended slide release and adjustable rear sight and didn't look at who you were and was like oh no... ;)

That pistol turned out very nice.

Do you like the two toned better generally? I may have (personal opinion) kept the slide as it was. It looks very nice in your first pics- perfect SS but somehow darker- probably your background lighting.

I've got a Series70 MKIV that's about 95% condition that I wouldn't mind having reworked by Dave Berryhill to upgrade the fire control although it's got a very nice pull now.

I'd like a longer trigger and similar sights- I like my 10-8 on the Loaded I have but to be honest, I actually shot better with the teenie weenie Colt sights last time I fired the two. Probably because I forced myself to aim with them. I'm 100% sure they aren't better in a self defense situation...

I've got a (I believe) MARS MSH like that but without the magwell. I also have a set of green/black gunners that I should put on her.

She's minty blue though. Would look much nicer on your SS frame...

ETA: Mine really needs a beavertail like that too..

Paulinski
10-28-07, 08:20
Wow it indeed turned out very nice.

militarymoron
10-28-07, 12:51
thanks - i've always preferred the two-tone look to all-stainless. it's the background lighting that's creating any dark areas - the slide had the typical shiny brushed finish. i had the 10-8 rear sight notch widened - i found it too narrow for my liking.

M4arc
10-28-07, 15:11
WOW!!!

That is stunningly beautiful!!!

Lumpy196
10-28-07, 21:21
NICE :D

snacks
10-29-07, 00:19
Wow that is beautiful. Nice Colt base as well. Your making me jealous wishing i had a Colt just like yours:D

DKircher
10-29-07, 00:27
Very nice!

Robb Jensen
10-29-07, 07:50
Excellent. :D

Turbo Supra
10-29-07, 12:03
Absolutely beautiful! Love the matching straps, grips, and even the background! Great photos!

SGB
10-31-07, 01:25
That is awesome. :D

Mojo58
10-31-07, 12:53
Wow! That is the tits! After reading Darryl's article in Combat Tactics, I became very interested in the T.H.U.G. pistol. Your pistol looks the way I would love my 1911 (had I never sold it) to look. Congratulations on a fantastic piece of kit!

griff609
11-02-07, 22:07
Very nice!

I'm considering a Retro I really like the basic classic look

graffex
11-03-07, 12:59
That's gotta be one of the nicest 1911's I've ever seen. May I ask how much the modifications ran you? Congrats on a beautiful pistol!

OD*
11-03-07, 14:03
Very nice indeed! https://www.m4carbine.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

Looey
11-03-07, 15:53
nice!!!!

MattC
11-06-07, 16:29
Wow! That looks awesome and I'm sure shoots even better.

I need to get one of those mag wells for my Springfield.

-Matt

luckyguy1
01-12-11, 23:27
Thank God!! I saw the first picture with the extended slide release and adjustable rear sight and didn't look at who you were and was like oh no... ;)

what's wrong with an extended slide release?:confused:

Uglyguns
01-13-11, 15:58
what's wrong with an extended slide release?:confused:

They are a no-go on 1911. They tend to cause more problems than they are worth. In a high grip your support thumb can rest on it causing it to lock back prematurely. On multiple shot it can also move enough to engage. Most people have to adjust their grip to hit an extended slide stop anyways, so the reasoning behind it is lost on me. I don’t run them and most 1911 shooters don’t recommend them. YMMV

V/r
Uglyguns

militarymoron
01-13-11, 16:10
They tend to cause more problems than they are worth.

it came on the gun when i got it (back when extended everything was cool), but never needed it since i'm a lefty anyway. besides what was mentioned, it also prevents you from using many holsters that aren't made to accommodate an extended slide stop.

Phazuka
01-13-11, 18:26
That is $#it hot, MM! I been thinking of what I'm going to do with my Colt Commander, this might be the package I'm looking for. Thanks for the review!

redefined
01-13-11, 21:37
So after doing my own build, and it being far from perfect in my eyes, I have even more respect for the top dog builders out there. However, the guys that do those stainless builds just blow my mind! Haha!! Crazy perfect work. :agree:

MPK9Cop
01-21-11, 22:01
Awesome!

Gray Man
02-28-11, 17:26
Beautiful pistol. I love the salt and pepper look too.

How is the Cerakote holding up after 3+ years?

jtsikes0204
09-08-11, 11:40
great looking gun!

militarymoron
11-02-11, 21:49
just noticed the question - there's some wear on the bearing surfaces inside the slide, but externally the cerakote is holding up really well.

Serlo II
12-14-11, 12:32
Very nice.
Steve does excellent work.
That is a gun will last you for the rest of your life.
Congrats

ctc3006
05-09-12, 23:05
That is sweet, very nice work

freightdog1911
06-14-12, 21:36
MM you still using your MARS tuned gun?

militarymoron
07-09-12, 19:39
yes - if i'm shooting a .45, it's the MARS. but i've been shooting my glock a lot more (cheaper). i used the MARS for half a 2-day tigerswan pistol class last october, and my glock for the other half.

CPD15-5
02-28-13, 22:29
Oh my, makes me want to just toss my plain springfield milspec in the garbage!

din
03-02-13, 01:19
Oh my, makes me want to just toss my plain springfield milspec in the garbage!

don't do that, I'll give you a tenner for it.

_Stormin_
03-26-13, 12:24
That is an absolutely gorgeous pistol!