PDA

View Full Version : My new Arsenal 106 FR

JB326
07-24-11, 23:44
Some of you may remember helping me in my ignorance a few weeks back when I entered the AK market. I ended up buying an SGL 31 in 5.45x39, though my "requirements" from the outset were .223, folding stock, and ability to mount a red dot. (Obviously I only ended up 1 for 3 with my purchase).

But as luck would have it, I ran into a gentleman who wanted a 5.45 rifle, and had a .223 that he didn't particularly care for anymore. So, I swapped my almost new SGL 31, 5 mags, and 2K rounds for his well loved 106 FR and 13 Circle 10 mags.

I had read that there were some issues with the 106's, and that is part of the reason I decided to make another post. I met him at the range this afternoon so we could both shoot the rifles, and I ran the 106 as hard as could for about 300 rounds, and only had three issues. On three occasions, it FTE'd with steel cased ammo, but never even the slightest issue with any of the vast assortment of brass fodder that I put it through it. I had no problem with this whatsoever since that is probably the last time any steel cased rounds will go in this rifle, and it was FILTHY to boot. He told me he had not cleaned it in quite a while, and I have no trouble believing it, but I fixed that once I got home.

We re-zero'd it with me on the rifle, and at twenty five yards I was getting several 3-5 round groups where every round was touching. I'd say based on just this afternoon's shooting it is a fair +/- 1MOA gun, and I was ecstatic.

So in the end, I went from only having one of the things I "had to have" to now having all three. I'm quite the happy camper with my new rifle now, and I certainly hope the other gentleman is equally pleased with his.

pbr streetgang
07-25-11, 00:22
Let's see a few pics...

DeltaSierra
07-25-11, 18:49
I have an SLR-106FR that I purchased new two years ago.

I have beaten that little rifle hard, and it has only choked once (failure to extract) in the many rounds I have put through it...

I did a quick "field repair" by kicking the bolt back with the heel of my boot to extract the case... Crude, but effective...

I bought the rifle to burn up a stash of really cruddy steel case ammo I had. I'm almost out now, and have to decide whether or not to buy some more Wolf....

I don't think that I'll ever get rid of it, and I am considering getting it a brother so that it doesn't get lonely!

You won't regret your choice of rifle!

JB326
07-26-11, 01:33
Pics as requested...

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x212/shooter_john/Arsenal%20106FR/029-1.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x212/shooter_john/Arsenal%20106FR/024-1.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x212/shooter_john/Arsenal%20106FR/027-1.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x212/shooter_john/Arsenal%20106FR/049.jpg

It now wears an MI/ US Palm rail and a Primary Arms Micro dot (while I save for a T1), an M3 rifle light, and an AFG. I also made up a "poor man's Vickers sling" out of some tubular webbing and various bits and pieces from my random gear pieces box. It's not pretty, but it works.
The other piece of gear in the pics is my brand new StrikeHard Gear AK chest rig. I stumbled across the proprietor of Strikehard online, and ended up buying the rig from him. I love helping out "little guys" and based on my initial impression and inspection, the rig seems to be bombproof, and it didn't break the bank. I'll try and do a review of that once I've had it for longer than 12 hours.

doodi1
07-26-11, 09:26
I have a 106 FR also. Great rifle! What red dot do you have on the Midwest rail? Do you like it? Does it co-witness with the iron sights?

JB326
07-26-11, 10:01
It is a Primary Arms Micro Dot. I like it very much, but I still want an Aimpoint when I can afford it. It does co-witness, but I'd say that it is even lower than a bottom 1/3 co- witness.

I'll have to remember deltasierra's malfunction drill/ procedure... I just grabbed the bolt and slammed the butt into the ground.

doodi1
07-26-11, 10:44
It is a Primary Arms Micro Dot. I like it very much, but I still want an Aimpoint when I can afford it. It does co-witness, but I'd say that it is even lower than a bottom 1/3 co- witness.

I'll have to remember deltasierra's malfunction drill/ procedure... I just grabbed the bolt and slammed the butt into the ground.

Thank, I thought it was PA microdot. I will buy one of those for mine and then saver up for an Aimpoint.