PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Viper 2x7

crusader377
07-25-11, 12:01
I found a few deals on these online $150-$170 dollar range and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with these. This scope would likely be used for an upcoming Recce or M16A4 build. Whatever that I end up building, I will use it shooting between 300M to 500M because I have limited experience shooting past 300M. This will strictly be a range scope and if I get into more long range shooting would probably upgrade sometime in the future. Please let me know your thoughts.

ccoker
07-28-11, 09:01
I have tested one, it is a good scope
Glass is comparable to scopes costing a lotmore
They just discontinued them, hence the price

M&P45
08-02-11, 07:50
I recently put on the Beowulf upper I built. It sits in and ADM mount. I you get a great bang for the buck with this scope. Mine has had no issues with a couple of hundred rounds of 335-400gr .50 Beowulf rounds. I have the circle plex reticule. I forget what they call it but it's thin enough for decent precision and the circle does a good job of getting you in target fairly quickly. The glass is on par with the Bushnell Elite 3200 scopes I have. I really like the resettable capped turrets and I find that it tracks very well. I think the power range is perfect for what most consumers us an AR for. I don't know of anything else in the price range that I could recommend.

Warg
08-02-11, 09:36
I've used one of these as well and, as ccoker mentioned, this is a nice little scope that compares IMO favorably to more expensive offerings like the Leupold VX-III, Nikon Monarch and others.

It's being discontinued so snag one now. Rumor has it that Vortex is working on a 1.X-8ish, scope that will replace it, but after the PST debacle, this could take a while.

armakraut
08-02-11, 14:16
PST debacle?

Warg
08-02-11, 14:29
PST debacle?

Yes, the issues discovered among the initial production run of the Viper PSTs that required Vortex to redesign and remanufacture the scopes. I think there were two main problems: a. (minor) cant of reticles; and b. tracking problems and "feel" of the turrets.

This is the primary reason these scopes were on backorder for, in some case, over a year. It's also the reason I have new Nightforce scopes on two of my rifles instead of a Viper PSTs (not because I dislike Vortex- I couldn't wait any longer) . ;)

Ironman8
08-02-11, 14:36
Any idea when Vortex will come out with their improved scopes? And the new 1.x-8?

Warg
08-02-11, 14:58
The "improved" PSTs are out now. Many backorders are still being fulfilled, though last I checked they're catching up pretty well. The 6-24x50 FFPs have been the most difficult to find, but inventory is available as I write this.

No idea on the other scope. It could be pure speculation AFAIK.

BBJones13
08-03-11, 13:24
The "improved" PSTs are out now. Many backorders are still being fulfilled, though last I checked they're catching up pretty well. The 6-24x50 FFPs have been the most difficult to find, but inventory is available as I write this.

No idea on the other scope. It could be pure speculation AFAIK.

Yes Vortex fumbled a bit on the PST line. Credit to them to fixing the issues rather than rushing them to market. I am very happy with my 1-4 PST and am considering a 2.5-10 PST.

Would love to get a 1-6 or 1.x-8 by Vortex. I would actually prefer a 1-6. Hope they are working on that too.

To OP - No experience with that scope but for $150 how could you go wrong. Vortex has excellent customer service. If you have any problems, I am sure they will take care of you.