PDA

View Full Version : What's a Good Blade Tech Holster Here?

Shrike9
10-28-07, 01:45
Since I don't know anything about blade tech I'm a wondering what holster of these holsters would be better for general OC and a limited CC for a P229R W/TLR-1 as I've found out any holster for the M3 should work with the TLR-1 and if ya have a TLR-2 the M6 holsters should fit them.

The Tactical Light Holster w/Sting Ray Loop (what's the sting ray loop???)

http://www.blade-tech.com/product_images/d_181.jpg

The Level 2 Tactical Holsters w/light attachments (Loops)

http://www.blade-tech.com/product_images/d_160.jpg

Or the Tactical Light Holster w/Paddle

http://www.blade-tech.com/product_images/t_967.jpg
http://www.blade-tech.com/product_images/d_418.jpg

Failure2Stop
10-28-07, 05:35
Blade-Tech holsters are great for competition, but in my experience are not so good for concealed carry.

If your heart is set on a Blade-Tech, go with the level 2 holster for open carry. It reduces the access to your firearm by others.

I really like Blade-Tech stuff, but it is not very concealable. If you want an OWB holster in kydex, there are better choices out there.

Mojo58
10-28-07, 11:54
I use the Blade Tech IWB holster and find it very effective for concealed carry. Our federal police UCs use the Blade Tech IWB holsters almost exclusively. Are we talking about the same model holster for concealed carry from Blade Tech or are you referring to their belt slide OWB holsters?

SuicideHz
10-28-07, 12:04
My bladetech is PERFECT for CC.

Glock 32 and you can't tell it's there. I even forget it's there.

John_Wayne777
10-28-07, 12:53
The Tactical Light Holster w/Sting Ray Loop (what's the sting ray loop???)

The SR loop is a new loop Blade Tech came out with that bolts on the back of the holster. It causes the holster to sit out a little bit farther than the traditional loops they used:

http://www.blade-tech.com/product_images/d_182.jpg

What you are seeing in that picture is the Sting-Ray loop on the back of an XD holster.

If you can't get the belt width you need in a standard loop, the SR is for you. If you can use the standard loop, I would stick with that. I personally don't find the SR loop to be as comfortable as the standard.

Overall Blade-Tech's stuff has served me well over the years. I have a Blade-Tech IWB for all my carry guns. I have OWB scabbard holsters from them for most of my carry guns as well.

I don't own any of their injection molded holsters, so I can't tell you if they are any good.

If you are going to be doing actual open carry, a holster with some sort of security built into it isn't a bad idea. Personally when I use my OWB holsters I am usually carrying with a covering garnment of some sort.

Failure2Stop
10-28-07, 13:56
Holsters, and especially concealed carry holsters are very much individual preference items. My experience may be very different from yours, and yours will be different than most others. I am 5'11" and 175 to 180 lbs with a 30" waist, so my waist doesn't hide a lot, I need what I get to do it's job flawlessly.

All you can do is try out whatever you can get your hands on, or like many of us, you will wind up with a box of holsters you no longer use.

Expect to buy many more holsters than you will wind up liking. I bought my first concealed carry holster on the advice of an old friend and experienced instructor. The next one I bough I bought from my limited personal experience, other people with limited experience, and shiny marketing. Guess which one I still own.;)

So many shooters will spend multiple hundreds to thousands of dollars on a defensive pistol, but will elect to save money on their holster. What gets used more, the pistol or the holster? They are a team, and can only be as strong as the other. I have learned that the hundred bucks and a few months waiting is worth it. Sure, I might buy a Galco or something for use until my "real" holster arrives, but it only makes me that much more appreciative when I strap it on.

This wasn't supposed to be a hijack, but you offered forth three nearly identical holsters, all of the same basic design, from the same maker, asking which one would be best for concealed carry. I think that you might want to widen your horizons a little, for your own benefit.

Not trying to be a dick, just wanting to help fellow real people with the advice they deserve.

John_Wayne777
10-28-07, 14:01
Holsters, and especially concealed carry holsters are very much individual preference items. My experience may be very different from yours, and yours will be different than most others. I am 5'11" and 175 to 180 lbs with a 30" waist, so my waist doesn't hide a lot, I need what I get to do it's job flawlessly.

All you can do is try out whatever you can get your hands on, or like many of us, you will wind up with a box of holsters you no longer use.

Amen.

One size doesn't fit all with weapons or with holsters.

All people can do is give you some ideas based on their experience.

Shrike9
10-28-07, 14:30
This wasn't supposed to be a hijack, but you offered forth three nearly identical holsters, all of the same basic design, from the same maker, asking which one would be best for concealed carry. I think that you might want to widen your horizons a little, for your own benefit.

I want to stick with Kydex & they are the only ones I've found from a known maker. I'd rather have a Comp-Tac MTAC, but they don't make any holsters for mounted lights.

I've only found a couple other holster makers that make holsters for the P229R/TLR1 combo and am not really enamored by them.

This holster for the most part will be used Open Carry & possibly covered by a coat, heavy shirt or some such other garment, but it's a out and about holster & not intended for "serious" concealment as that's when I'll switch to the CTAC and P239 :D :D It's great living in a state where open cary is no big deal & ifin somebody gets a glimpse of a concealed weapon it's also no biggie as long as you are not screaming & yelling while running across table tops in a resturant :p :p

Failure2Stop
10-28-07, 16:01
It's great living in a state where open cary is no big deal & ifin somebody gets a glimpse of a concealed weapon it's also no biggie as long as you are not screaming & yelling while running across table tops in a resturant
LOL!

Right- Then I would go with the tactical level 2- but probably with the Tec-Loc.

Have you looked at the Safariland series?
http://www.safariland.com/product.aspx?pid=6280 Good retention woth good draw speed and not too bad for concealing.

Happy shooting hombre.:cool:

Striker5
10-29-07, 07:06
I can't answer all the questions, but I own several BT products and they offer high quality at a very reasonabl price. The one that gets the most use is an IWB w/ pull the dot loops.

Robb Jensen
10-29-07, 07:34
For open carry I strongly suggest something with retention..........something along the lines of a Safariland with ALS (http://www.safariland.com/product.aspx?pid=6377).