PDA

View Full Version : Single point sling options

Bauer C
07-26-11, 00:14
What is a good single point sling attachment that wouldn't require removing the buffer tube? I know the stock won't be able to close completely and I'm ok with that. I want it to be simple to take off and put on for when I go shooting at places other than the range.

Javelinadave
07-26-11, 00:57
I suggest you try one before you buy one. All though it is very tacti-cool I find single pointing a rifle to be an annoyance to say the least.

Pax
07-26-11, 01:05
Why dont you want to take off the buffer tube? Its really very easy. You might even save money by buying an armorers wrench and an endplate adapter over a bolt-on adapter. Some of those latter ones are pretty expensive. Just sayin. And then youve got an armorers wrench.

edicut
07-26-11, 01:08
Here's one I have on a rifle, it's way beefy but as you can see doesn't require tube removal. You can use it for single point or 2 point if you change your mind. Sorry about the link, I know there's a way to make it so you can just click on it but, I know more about guns than computers....

https://danieldefense.com/mounts-1/sling/ez-carbine-qd-swivel-attachment-point.html

eta. I used this sling attachment because my buffer tube was staked on (LMT Defender) and didn't want to mess popping it loose and restaking another to as close to factory spec as I could...

Take care,

Edicut

GTifosi
07-26-11, 02:29
Pic from the above link:
https://danieldefense.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/0/30ec4fd9e6265204bd6522ac121be499.jpg

To make a hyperlink, type the following code without '*' anywhere in it:
[*url=web page you want to jump to]descriptive text for where the link goes[*/url]

If you want to highlight the link with color to make it more obvious its a link, then:
[*url=web page you want to jump to][*color=blue]descriptive text for where the link goes[*/color][*/url]

So your above link could be written like:
[*url=https://danieldefense.com/mounts-1/sling/ez-carbine-qd-swivel-attachment-point.html][*color=blue]DD Single point carbine sling mount[*/color][*/url]

And appear like this:
DD Single point carbine sling mount (https://danieldefense.com/mounts-1/sling/ez-carbine-qd-swivel-attachment-point.html)

kartoffel
07-26-11, 02:44
With a 2-point sling, you can take both hands off your weapon to do other stuff and it won't flop all over the place.

With a 1-point, you'll end up with a gun swinging from you like Flavor Flav's clock.

Wiggity
07-26-11, 03:44
Get a BFG VCAS

Vegas
07-26-11, 04:50
Stark SE-2 Pistol Grip. I have an SKD single point sling attached with an HK hook.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6021/5955221903_4e6206debd_b.jpg

I thought I would give the single point thing a go, jury is out thus far. That's what EE and eBay is for, failed experiments :D

ZoneOne
07-26-11, 06:06
I use the Midwest Industries MCTAR-13 single point adapter. It's been great. The only advice is put CLP under it when installing or once you remove it you may be for a rusty surprise.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=97

rob_s
07-26-11, 06:16
If you want a castle-nut single-point sling attachment point and can't (lack the tools or ability), won't (simply don't want to take the gun apart) or are not allowed (prohibited disasembly of an issue gun), the Tango Down PR-4 (http://tangodown.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=40) is the A-answer.

http://tangodown.com/shop/images/pr4.jpg

JSantoro
07-26-11, 08:35
Agreed. On the surface, one may think "That thing's +/- $30 more than the DD, and all you get is a 3rd QD hole on the back!?"

I thought the same thing when I got one of each to try on each of my guns, but I was willing to give it a shot because a lot of dudes whose opinions I trust implicitly swear by that thing.

In instances where my face was firmly pressed up against the back end of the mount because I was proned out in some form or another, I didn't even notice the PR-4, whereas the DD gave me a pressure-cut on my face from the combo of recoil and the sharp corners on that thing. Ow.

I still have the DD one, but won't use them again until I get the corners chamfered. I acknowledge that positioning could prevent that, but I ain't changing the way I cheek the gun for the sake of a swappable inanimate object.

The only valid thing I hear folks crab about in regard to the PR-4 is the lack of rotation limiters on the QD holes. I'd have to be paid to care less about limiters on the rear point (I use 2-point slings), but some see that as a requirement for any QD mount, and I understand why.

DWood
07-26-11, 12:10
I started with a DD clamp on and it worked, but eventually bought the slimmer DD that goes in front of the castle nut. It works great.

I wouldn't hesitate to try that Tango Down clamp on either.

My lowers are LMT which are known for a decent staking job on the castle nut. That said, with a vise, a good armorer's wrench, and an action block it wasn't hard to do. Several friends and I got together and did 4 or 5 of our guns. It's probably something you should learn.

Spend the money for a good wrench though.

As to the comment above about a single point allowing the gun to swing all over, a good carbine class will teach you how to deal with that. I have both single and two points and can use either

titsonritz
07-26-11, 13:20
I have used an O.S.O.E. Single Point Bungee Sling / 550 Para-chord adapter on several long guns with good results. The 550 adapter will girth hitch around a standard stock wrist or an AR receiver extension. It will also Prusik knot around an AK wire folder. No sling adapter plates or clamps required.

http://originalsoegear.com/1point.html
http://originalsoegear.com/550.html

ETA: Another thing I like about the 550 adapter is its very low profile.

JW1069
07-26-11, 14:29
Companies such as BCM, LMT and HK do an outstanding job with their factory staking. I simply didn't want to mess with mine, but also understand there are many others who couldn't if they wanted to per department policy. So far, the PR-4 has proven to be the best solution for me. It clamps on tight and stays put. I use it with a MS2 sling plus QD sling swivel and there is no binding at all when doing shoulder to shoulder transitions.

The main negatives I can think of are the price and that you can't use the center QD socket if the stock is in the first position. For me, SKD's "SUCKIT" promo took care of the price issue and I personally don't care about losing that center socket. YMMV.

Bauer C
07-26-11, 16:04
I'm not opposed to the 2 or 3 point slings, but I don't want to get tangled up in them. Anyone tried the spectre 3 point?

dcs12345
07-26-11, 20:39
I'm not opposed to the 2 or 3 point slings, but I don't want to get tangled up in them. Anyone tried the spectre 3 point?

If you are worried about getting tangled up, pass on the 3 point.

I have a blue force gear vcas 2 point and I love it.

Pax
07-26-11, 21:31

Singlepoint: webbing extends away from your body to the rear of the receiver. Period.

Two point: webbing extends away from your body to at least the rear of the foreend, passing all essential weapon controls in the process.

You tell me which is more likely to restrict access to weapon controls. Im not saying get a singlepoint only and ever, Im saying get a damned hybrid and find out which works best for you.

titsonritz
07-26-11, 22:05
Im saying get a damned hybrid and find out which works best for you.

My next sling will be a 1-to-2 point convertible, just haven’t decided which one yet.

Pax
07-26-11, 22:48
My next sling will be a 1-to-2 point convertible, just haven’t decided which one yet.

In my opinion, much like the weapons they support, the best slings are the ones you make yourself using the best parts available. If youre interested in rolling your own, I could make some suggestions. Otherwise, IWC QD Triglide on the 2 point of your choice or Emdom Gunslinger IMO.

titsonritz
07-26-11, 23:14
In my opinion, much like the weapons they support, the best slings are the ones you make yourself using the best parts available. If youre interested in rolling your own, I could make some suggestions. Otherwise, IWC QD Triglide on the 2 point of your choice or Emdom Gunslinger IMO.

I have wanted to check out those IWC QD Triglides so that is the route I'll no doubt try first, I’ll end up putting one on my VCAS along with some MASH hooks.

I think your right on the roll your own thing, I see several slings out there that have some features I want but none that have all the features I want, that Gunslinger comes close. Suggestions are always welcome.

Pax
07-27-11, 14:02
I have wanted to check out those IWC QD Triglides so that is the route I'll no doubt try first, I’ll end up putting one on my VCAS along with some MASH hooks.

I think your right on the roll your own thing, I see several slings out there that have some features I want but none that have all the features I want, that Gunslinger comes close. Suggestions are always welcome.

A VCAS with the IWC Triglide and some MASH Hooks sounds pretty damned good. I havent used the VCAS, but if you put the triglide behind the SRB, the end of the singlepoint that extends away from your body and to the weapon might be a little long. Certainly workable, but it looks like youd have to tighten the loop of the singlepoint around your body to get the weapon to ride at the proper height when slung. Not a big deal, just makes rotating the weapon around your body, especially when wearing load-bearing equipment, a bit more of a bitch.

Apart from that and the fact that the VCAS uses plastic hardware, (which is only a minor gripe), it sounds really nice. Good luck.

Pax
07-27-11, 14:16

A VCAS with the IWC Triglide and some MASH Hooks sounds pretty damned good. I havent used the VCAS, but if you put the triglide behind the SRB, the end of the singlepoint that extends away from your body and to the weapon might be a little long. Certainly workable, but it looks like youd have to tighten the loop of the singlepoint around your body to get the weapon to ride at the proper height when slung. Not a big deal, just makes rotating the weapon around your body, especially when wearing load-bearing equipment, a bit more of a bitch.

Apart from that and the fact that the VCAS uses plastic hardware, (which is only a minor gripe), it sounds really nice. Good luck.