PDA

View Full Version : Training with/Parts for the 1911

Lazy eye
07-26-11, 09:48
Search isn't working for me (I get a blank white page) and I've gone back 15 pages in this forum and not found what I'm looking for so I figured I'd take the plunge and make a thread.

I'll be taking a 1 day carbine course in a month with some friends which requires us to use a sidearm. Normally I'd be using my XD, but one of my friends doesn't have a handgun yet. I'm letting him use my XD for the course while I will use my Kimber. (I know, I know) I had originally bought the 1911 as the "fun" gun, not the "fighting" gun, so this will be my first real test of it's reliability. What I'm looking for from you guys is a list of suggested parts to have on hand to avoid a hard down during training. Does anyplace sell a "consumables" parts kit for 1911's? I've never had issues with it up till now, and I use CMC mags.

Also, any miscellaneous 1911/training tips are welcome.

Atchcraft
07-26-11, 10:02
I think this is what you are refering to, http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/COLT/1911%20GOV'T%20PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1#819

Lazy eye
07-26-11, 10:07
I think this is what you are refering to, http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/COLT/1911%20GOV'T%20PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1#819

Thanks for the page, I'll bookmark it. I think what I had in mind is something like a recommended spare parts kit for a 1911. For you guys that go training, what are the parts you keep with you all the time.

This is my first 1911 and I haven't had it for long, so I'm not up to speed on the weak points that show up during classes or hard use.

davidjinks
07-26-11, 13:16
A spare 1911.

Stangman
07-26-11, 13:19
Springs and or mags are the usual culprits. However, if it's a fairly new 1911, you're not likely to run into those problems. You're far more likely to be dealing with the gun being tight & loosening up.

Lazy eye
07-26-11, 13:21
Springs and or mags are the usual culprits. However, if it's a fairly new 1911, you're not likely to run into those problems. You're far more likely to be dealing with the gun being tight & loosening up.

I'll make sure to pick up a spare set, thank you

Ha, you edited your post while I was replying. Would the loosening up cause any issues or will I not even notice it?

JohnnyC
07-26-11, 13:40
A spare 1911.

Hahaha!!!!!! Nice.

Lazy eye
07-26-11, 13:42
Hahaha!!!!!! Nice.

When I get the money, that will definitely end up in the "parts" box

Stangman
07-26-11, 13:47
I'll make sure to pick up a spare set, thank you

Ha, you edited your post while I was replying. Would the loosening up cause any issues or will I not even notice it?

You'll likely not notice it, & it's not the loosening up, it's the initial tightness of the gun. The reason why I edited it though is because is if it's a new 1911, they're known to be tight & therefore cause some ftf or fte in the first 500rds or so. You're far more likely to have magazine issues if it's got some rounds through it than issues with the spring.

Lazy eye
07-26-11, 13:50
Alright cool. I think I'm good on the mag front then. Now I just need to practice drawing from holster and dealing with the thumb safety. Primarily remembering I have one.

Titleist
07-26-11, 13:52
Spare extractor or two. I broke one in my 9mm 2011 only 34 rounds from finishing Magpul Handgun 2.

Thankfully I had my M&P to use for the final drills, but yep...

Lazy eye
07-26-11, 13:56
Nice. I'm guessing Wilson makes one. I'll pick one of those up too. Is there anything specific I'm looking for in these parts or can I just grab a "standard" extractor for a full size 1911?

Stangman
07-26-11, 14:01
Nice. I'm guessing Wilson makes one. I'll pick one of those up too. Is there anything specific I'm looking for in these parts or can I just grab a "standard" extractor for a full size 1911?

Well you said you had a Kimber, so it should have a internal extractor. That's what you'd need to look for (unless you have an older model that has an external extractor)

Lazy eye
07-26-11, 14:19
What about a reference or maintenance book by a reputable source? The ones I've seen seem more like catalogs than a service manual.

Corey
07-28-11, 10:45
Springs are always good to have, consider them a consumable item. Get a spare extractor, have it fitted and shoot a couple hundred rounds through the gun with it, then put it in your spares kit. Also take extra lube and don't be afraid to add more during the class, 1911s need more lube than more modern designs.

As for a manual, the Jerry Kuhnhausen books are great but may be a little more detailed than you are looking for. Still, I think they are the best reference out there.

Jason F
07-28-11, 12:04
A spare fitted extractor (fitted & tested actually), a spare fitted (& tested) slide stop, replacement springs, extra mags.

If you can't fix it with those on the range in a few minutes, then you might as well move to a backup gun for the rest of the day and try and work out the problem after class.

Extra mags, extra mags, extra mags.... :D

Exiledviking
07-28-11, 12:28
A spare fitted extractor (fitted & tested actually), a spare fitted (& tested) slide stop, replacement springs, extra mags.

Extra mags, extra mags, extra mags.... :D

This and a fresh recoil spring & main spring if you have some rounds thru that Kimber. Make sure that you have run the mags to check for proper function. One of my major issues with Kimbers is the plastic main spring housing.

How many rounds do you have thru the XD?

Lazy eye
07-28-11, 12:59
Awesome responses, thanks guys. I'll be sure to get all that stuff together when I get back in the states.

Evildviking, I've got over 1000 rds through the XD, and probably 800 since it's been cleaned. I'll get to it before the class though. Why? Got suggestions for XD parts?

Exiledviking
07-28-11, 17:39
Awesome responses, thanks guys. I'll be sure to get all that stuff together when I get back in the states.

Evildviking, I've got over 1000 rds through the XD, and probably 800 since it's been cleaned. I'll get to it before the class though. Why? Got suggestions for XD parts?

The reason I asked about the XD is to make sure that it has proven itself and not self-disassembled.
See this thread below:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83511

Lazy eye
07-28-11, 17:51
Oh yeah, mines a tank. Never had an issue, even during the 4 day pistol course I took in the desert with no cleaning over the 4 days.

samuse
07-28-11, 23:06
A spare 1911 is really the best backup if you're hell-bent on running one.

Most common parts to break IME: extractor, slide stop, barrel link.

davidjinks
08-03-11, 16:29
What about a reference or maintenance book by a reputable source? The ones I've seen seem more like catalogs than a service manual.

Maybe a little late…

Patrick Sweeney has a pretty good guide book to the 1911. I've found his information/reference books pretty straight forward with lots of good information.