PDA

View Full Version : LMT MRP Query

chat.josh
07-26-11, 14:00
I am ready to purchase my second rifle and my top choice is the LMT MRP. Other than regularly checking the bolt that holds the LMT MRP barrel, how do make sure it is always torqued and tight?

I've seen some rifles on this forum that are marked with what seems to be red markers to indicate that bolts/screws have not loosened up.

Thanks!

Apricotshot
07-26-11, 14:04
I am ready to purchase my second rifle and my top choice is the LMT MRP. Other than regularly checking the bolt that holds the LMT MRP barrel, how do make sure it is always torqued and tight?

I've seen some rifles on this forum that are marked with what seems to be red markers to indicate that bolts/screws have not loosened up.

Thanks!

It will come from LMT with a torque wrench that is factory set at 140 inch pounds (A lot of guys get better quality aftermarket wrenches instead). FWIW I have 3 MRPs (CQB, Rifle and MWS) and I have as part of regular maintenace just check them and have never had my sample of 3 guns bolt's come loose at all. Witness marks don't hurt either. YMMV

chat.josh
07-26-11, 14:08
It will come from LMT with a torque wrench that is factory set at 140 inch pounds (A lot of guys get better quality aftermarket wrenches instead). FWIW I have 3 MRPs (CQB, Rifle and MWS) and I have as part of regular maintenace just check them and have never had my sample of 3 guns bolt's come loose at all. Witness marks don't hurt either. YMMV

Thank you. I've been struggling all morning what you guys call those marks - witness marks. I was a bit embarassed to ask my hubby.

PatrolRifleGroup
07-26-11, 14:15
That MRP is one heavy Mo-Fo. My 16" rifle weighed in at 8.2 pounds, which included: DD LW 14.5" barrel w/BC 1.5, CTR, 13" TRX Extreme rail, T-1 in Larue 660, TLR-1 w/pressure switch, MBUS, MS2 sling, and loaded 30 round Pmag.

By comparison, his 12.5" LMT MRP with SOPMOD, Comp M4, threaded Phantom, Surefire Scout, sling and 30 round PMAG was a little over 12 pounds. I know it's not exactly apples to apples, but I find it interesting how a shorter weapon can quickly weigh more than a 16" gun. The barrel and rails is where the biggest weight differences were. His scout light was pretty small, probably didn't weigh much more than my TLR-1. SOPMOD vs. CTR was probably a slight difference.

Point is, if you plan on actually carrying the thing, I would take the weight into consideration. If not, drive on.