PDA

View Full Version : I bought a Bushmaster now what

foxtrapper
10-28-07, 14:56
I am new to the AR scene and have a few questions? I bought a NY complaint Bushmaster M4 A3. I thought that it was the only post-ban M4 carbine that you could own living in NY. Now doing some research and reading the below thread about Bushys it was not the wisest buying choice:( Beside selling the carbine, what should I do to upgrade to make it more reliable? I know I'm going about this ass backwards but this is where I'm at and would appreciate any help. The carbine will be used for casual shooting . Thanks in advance:)

M4arc
10-28-07, 15:06
Honestly bro, just shoot the piss out of it and enjoy. Don't worry about what you don't have. Clean it, keep it wet, take it out and shoot it. If it proves to be reliable just keep going and have fun. Spend your money on ammo, a good sling and a range membership.

That said there are a few small changes you could make to ensure better reliability;

1. Either a BCM or FN bolt from C4iGrant or Bravo Company USA. Both of those should come with a heavy duty extractor spring or a Crane o-ring for more positive extraction.
2. Send your bolt carrier to someone like C4iGrant or GotM4 and have them properly stake the gas key. Your's probably isn't staked the right way.
3. Purchase an H buffer.

Other than those items I wouldn't mess with it unless you have to. :)

Jeff_M
10-28-07, 15:21
I second M4arc's comments. Don't worry about it. Just shoot it and enjoy it!

Failure2Stop
10-28-07, 15:37
This one was made for you:
"Oh No! I bought a BM/RRA/Stag before I knew better!"
(https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376)

Gun Runner
10-28-07, 17:17
The anti-Bushmaster Kool-Aid is pretty thick here it seems.

I doubt you'll have a problem, they're fine rifles. I've had 3-4k rounds through mine with no malfunctions that weren't caused by faulty magazines.

I wouldn't buy another complete Bushy though, the price you pay for what you get isn't that great. The last rifle I put together was a Bushmaster upper on a CMMG lower and it's also been 100%.

Don't worry about the naysayers, it's a Bushmaster, not a damn Olympic or Hesse.

AMMOTECH
10-28-07, 17:44
I bought a NY complaint Bushmaster M4 A3.

NY Complaint.... Does your M4 have a full size A2 stock or a non-moving fake adjustable stock? Which buffer/spring does it have? long or short?

I would just swap out your BCG and buffer as M4arc had suggested. I did the same to my BM.

Needed Parts:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LMT-Bolt-Carrier-Semi-AR15-p/bcg-lmt-ar15.htm
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/H-Carbine-Buffer-p/buffer%20carbine%20h.htm

I also changed out the stock and the front sight post but that was just because I wanted too. (Pic is near the bottom of the page)
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=642&page=11

IROCZ
10-28-07, 18:07
Thanks Ammotech, I was gonna ask what an H buffer was but didn't want to look like a dork! My 6920 buffer should be fine stock ya think? Thanks again

BushmasterFanBoy
10-28-07, 18:08
For me, I had to swap out my extractor springs, inserts, add an o-ring, and replace my buffer with an H-buffer.

You should be good to go with it. Shoot it till it jams, then find out what causes it and upgrade that part. In about 2-3k rounds you should have all the kinks ironed out smooth.

Gun Runner
10-28-07, 18:16
As long as we're changing parts that so far have proven to work just for the sake of it we had better get a different barrel too as the Bushy isn't parkerized under the front sight base.

BushmasterFanBoy
10-28-07, 18:22
As long as we're changing parts that so far have proven to work just for the sake of it we had better get a different barrel too as the Bushy isn't parkerized under the front sight base.

IIRC that's just a preferential thing, I don't see where it is that much of an issue, I think LMT skimps on that as well.

M4arc
10-28-07, 19:16

Settle down.

No one is swapping out parts just because they came on a Bushmaster (except for the gas key). I make sure that all of my carbines have HD extractor springs or a Crane o-ring and a H buffer. It's just cheap insurance.

Don't turn this thread south.

Gun Runner
10-28-07, 20:45
I will admit my stock carbine buffer and bushy BCG live in my #2 rifle.

This was just because I upgraded to a SOPMOD stock which I think comes with an H buffer (couldn't tell a difference) and I wanted a full auto carrier so I got an LMT unit for the perceived greater reliability it would add. I should mention that I needed a BCG anyway for rifle #2.

Still no problems with either the buffer or inadequately staked BCG; 99% of people never will experience any.

Shoot your rifle and don't worry about it, buy ammo and mags.

AMMOTECH
10-28-07, 20:49
I I upgraded to a SOPMOD stock which I think comes with an H buffer (couldn't tell a difference) .

The heavy "H" buffer has an "H" on the face.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Buffer%20Carbine%20H-3.jpg

Gun Runner
10-28-07, 21:06
I should've known that. Well I assumed it was a carbine buffer until I saw the only one LMT sells on their website is the H buffer. Apparently my kit didn't include that though.

foxtrapper
10-28-07, 21:27
I wish I found this sight before I bought ,where you heard that before;) To answer the NY compliant question, it came with a fixed adjustable stock,10 rd mag and no bayonet lug. I really had no interest in black rifles and really just impulse bought due to the upcoming political climate. If they were gonna ban it I wanted one just to stick them in the ear. Turns out now its the one gun that comes out of the safe every day. With the module design of the AR and all the different available configs, its has become one of favorite guns. So I'm here to learn:D So H buffer and I think I'll just buy the LMT bolt and carrier assembly. Keep the stock one for a spare ................To start!!!!! Thanks again.

Failure2Stop
10-28-07, 21:29
Deleted.

Added nothing useful to the thread.

ZGXtreme
10-28-07, 21:55
I wish I found this sight before I bought ,where you heard that before;) To answer the NY compliant question, it came with a fixed adjustable stock,10 rd mag and no bayonet lug. I really had no interest in black rifles and really just impulse bought due to the upcoming political climate. If they were gonna ban it I wanted one just to stick them in the ear. Turns out now its the one gun that comes out of the safe every day. With the module design of the AR and all the different available configs, its has become one of favorite guns. So I'm here to learn:D So H buffer and I think I'll just buy the LMT bolt and carrier assembly. Keep the stock one for a spare ................To start!!!!! Thanks again.

You said it all... despite my experience with the M16A2/A4 platform, for my entry into the ownership of a private weapon I too started with a Bushmaster; a damn fine one too. As I shot it and learned more regarding the platform I realized that in addition to enjoing myself at the range I would also need to possibly rely on the weapon at work (L.E.) so I upgraded to a Colt 6933 when I felt comfortable doing so.

Being in your position you have done just fine. The members of this forum that are far more technically experienced than us have made great recommendations as to parts you may want to and/or should replace on your rifle. You can do that obviously as you choose and put the rifle through its paces as you learn and in turn get sucked into the hobby haha.

I may not have added anything to this topic but maybe a "+1" to what the rest of the members have said to you, but just wanted to one; say congrats and finding this as something you enjoy and two; take it slow, learn, have fun and enjoy your new rifle as is until you decide you want or need to upgrade.

Just remember, how well the rifle suits You is all that matters so just simply enjoy it and learn all you can! Have a good one.

Shihan
10-28-07, 22:47

Welcome to the site, there is much to learn here and enough to keep you up many late nights reading.

AMMOTECH
10-28-07, 22:54
I To answer the NY compliant question, it came with a fixed adjustable stock.

I think that the stock that you have has the rifle length spring and buffer. If that is the case then you do not need an "H" carbine buffer.

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_parts_stocks_grips_p2.asp#10050878988PK
"Complete Fixed Position Tele-Style Stock Assembly
This assembly includes the full length A2 Buffer Tube, Buffer and Spring."

Double check this before you order any parts!!!!

kingc
10-29-07, 02:18
For starters, why don't you bring that BM out here into the light. Tell us the model you chose, length of barrel. Any muzzle device? Got any pictures?

Like before salting your foodplate, perhaps you should taste it first. Take that BM out for a date and see how she swings. Then you can start spicing things up. :D

Robb Jensen
10-29-07, 07:29

I doubt you'll have a problem, they're fine rifles. I've had 3-4k rounds through mine with no malfunctions that weren't caused by faulty magazines.

It's not anti-Bushmaster Kool-Aid. When Bushmaster learns to assemble an AR let me know.

When you get to 15-20K let me know............and then tell me what failures of parts and functioning you've had. One particular instructor has have seen in excess of 900K rounds per year go down range and sees the deficiencies of Bushmaster time and again..........this is a 'clue'.

Things Bushmaster should know and use/do:

Should use MP tested bolts.
Should learn what barrel torque spec is and use Moly lube at the threads.
Should use the proper rate extractor spring, proper black extractor buffer and o-ring.
Should use H buffers (3.8oz).
Should learn what proper carrier key and castle nut staking is.
Should use mil-spec receiver extensions.
Should use M16 carriers.
Should use the proper F height FSBs.
Should use a proper sized 5.56mm NATO chamber (instead of just pretty close).
Should offer 1x7 barrel twist as a standard option (easily available ALL of the time).

BTW parkerizing under the FSB is a non-issue and for what they charge they are far from 'fine rifles' and aren't 'as good as'.

Cold Zero
10-29-07, 07:49
It's not anti-Bushmaster Kool-Aid.

When you get to 15-20K let me know............and then tell me what failures of parts and functioning you've had.

O.K., I have about 15K rounds thru my 2003 Bushmaster. Like you said this is not an anti Bushmaster post. Just stating my experience, based on my own purchase, when I did not know any better.

Corrective actions taken:

Heavy duty extractor spring and Arm Forte D Fender installed.

Gas Key properly staked.

I beleive the castle nut was properly staked when the stock was changed?

Still has the original buffer spring, bolt and bolt carrier.

The first time this was sent back to B-Master the barrel was improperly torqued/ front sight tower canted. Rear sight was maxed out on windage and still could not get a decent zero. I understand that this is a common problem.

Barrel was providing about an 8" group at 50 yds, with a variety of target ammo. This could not be duplicated by their armorer, his group was even worse.

Remedial action by armorer when sent back the first time, install new barrel and properly torque it. No charge.

Around 10K rounds the Lower was double firing and even though it was no longer in warranty, they repaired it, no charge.

In some ways, I feel that this gun has some of the common problems they are known for. In other ways, I feel that the bolt and bolt carrier are better than the avg. ones that they provide. Read, I got a good B.C.G.. I am surprised that the bolt has not broken already.:eek:

Don't forget to add shipping and insurance expense to your purchase price for the warranty work you will need, in addition to the parts and labor to swap parts out.

C4IGrant
10-29-07, 08:26

I wouldn't buy another complete Bushy though, the price you pay for what you get isn't that great. The last rifle I put together was a Bushmaster upper on a CMMG lower and it's also been 100%.

Don't worry about the naysayers, it's a Bushmaster, not a damn Olympic or Hesse.

Not sure how you can say that as no one started an anti-BM thread. A guy bought a BM and has questions about it.

It is great that your BM has 3-4K through it and runs well. Have you taken it to a 3 carbine school yet?

C4

C4IGrant
10-29-07, 08:31
I will admit my stock carbine buffer and bushy BCG live in my #2 rifle.

This was just because I upgraded to a SOPMOD stock which I think comes with an H buffer (couldn't tell a difference) and I wanted a full auto carrier so I got an LMT unit for the perceived greater reliability it would add. I should mention that I needed a BCG anyway for rifle #2.

Still no problems with either the buffer or inadequately staked BCG; 99% of people never will experience any.

Shoot your rifle and don't worry about it, buy ammo and mags.

You are somewhat correct. Most people that buy a BM rarely take carbine training and don't shoot a lot. So their chances of seeing something falter, is pretty low.

If people do buy their BM with thoughts of using it to defend themselves and their families, then they should "worry about" how the weapon was built and what parts were used.

C4

Gun Runner
10-29-07, 14:06
It's not anti-Bushmaster Kool-Aid. When Bushmaster learns to assemble an AR let me know.

When you get to 15-20K let me know............and then tell me what failures of parts and functioning you've had. One particular instructor has have seen in excess of 900K rounds per year go down range and sees the deficiencies of Bushmaster time and again..........this is a 'clue'.

Should use the proper rate extractor spring, proper black extractor buffer and o-ring.
Should use M16 carriers.
Should offer 1x7 barrel twist as a standard option (easily available ALL of the time).

BTW parkerizing under the FSB is a non-issue and for what they charge they are far from 'fine rifles' and aren't 'as good as'.

The things in red certainly aren't reliability issues. The buffer could be argued too. It would be nice if they did all that, but for the average (90%+) user, none of it is going matter. How many AR users shoot their rifles more than a thousand rounds a year? He's not heading to Iraq with it, it's not a select fire rifle. It's good enough for what it's for in almost all cases.

I'm not a huge Bushmaster fan, like I said, I wouldn't buy another complete rifle, I just don't see throwing away brand new parts that will more than likely function just fine before you've ever fired the thing.

C4IGrant
10-29-07, 14:17
The things in red certainly aren't reliability issues. The buffer could be argued too. It would be nice if they did all that, but for the average (90%+) user, none of it is going matter. How many AR users shoot their rifles more than a thousand rounds a year? He's not heading to Iraq with it, it's not a select fire rifle. It's good enough for what it's for in almost all cases.

I'm not a huge Bushmaster fan, like I said, I wouldn't buy another complete rifle, I just don't see throwing away brand new parts that will more than likely function just fine before you've ever fired the thing.

Mil-Spec RE's tend to me be stronger than commercial RE's. They also allow the consumer to have a much wider seleciton of collapsible stock.

M4C is not a "Hobbyists" forum. This is a professional forum geared towards LE, Military and Defensive minded civy shooters. "Just as good as" or "will do" mentality doesn't fly around here.

The members of this forum are looking for reliable, quality fighting tools. Little else matters.

C4

Gun Runner
10-29-07, 15:17
I didn't realize this was a HSLD board. In that case, I don't belong here.

There was one thing that really stood out to me in the orginal post in this thread:

The carbine will be used for casual shooting

Doesn't compute with:

M4C is not a "Hobbyists" forum. This is a professional forum geared towards LE, Military and Defensive minded civy shooters. "Just as good as" or "will do" mentality doesn't fly around here.

My crappy Bushamster is used for casual shooting too, unless that TEOTWAKI thing that everyone talks about happens. In which case I have an LMT BCG, an O-Ring around the extractor spring, and a mil-spec buffer tube. I'll keep my toes crossed. At least all my accessories are quality, nobody here would argue that.

Saginaw79
10-29-07, 15:38

+1

My Bushmaster has at least 4 or 5K through it and several carbine classes and I have not has malfunction one attributed to the gun(just bad mags)

I dont buy into the BM hate, never had an issue and neither have my friends who have them

C4IGrant
10-29-07, 15:44
I didn't realize this was a HSLD board. In that case, I don't belong here.

Please do not read into what I said. No one said that this forum is ONLY for HSLD types. What I did say is that it is for serious minded shooters.

Of course any member that is only interested in AR's for plinking is welcome, but they may feel out of place (especially if they wish to inform us that all AR's are created equal).

C4

C4IGrant
10-29-07, 15:46
+1

My Bushmaster has at least 4 or 5K through it and several carbine classes and I have not has malfunction one attributed to the gun(just bad mags)

I dont buy into the BM hate, never had an issue and neither have my friends who have them

You got a good one! Congrats. Not everyone is as lucky as you and is why the BM weapons must be looked over to ensure that they were built right.

A spare bolt and parts that wear (no matter who made the weapon) is always a good idea as well.

C4

markm
10-29-07, 15:46
+1

Have you read the chart? It's pretty cut and dry. I takes the emotional knee jerk reaction out of the equation.

I mean... there's even occasional reports of Olympic Arms rifles that will run pretty good. But that doesn't mean you can refuse to accept the situation.

I'm not here to bash Bushmaster. I run some of their upper halves on my builds. But I can't argue with the facts in the chart.

Dport
10-29-07, 16:33
Just my $.02.

What I would do right away:
-Replace the extractor spring and add a Crane o-ring.
-Check to make sure the gas key and RE are staked properly.
-Check to make sure the barrel is torqued properly.
-Get the chamber reamed for 5.56.
-Shoot it. Are there reliability problems? If so then troubleshoot and fix the problem.

What I would replace later:
-I'd get a new stock/RE later on. Perhaps if you upgrade to a Magpul CTR, just go ahead and get the full kit including H-Buffer.
-I'd also get a spare bolt. I'd really start shopping around 1K rounds and would replace by 5K.

kal
10-29-07, 18:35
Check to make sure the barrel is torqued properly.

What does that mean and how would you check for it?

Canonshooter
10-29-07, 18:44
foxtrapper, I too live in NY and have the same rifle. Mine is anout 3 years old and I have (thus far) been quite pleased with it. It's very accurate, the FSB is on straight, the finish is flawless, the trigger pull is quite nice and it has not had any malfunctions of any kind. I think an important point to keep in mind is that loose QC does not neccessarily mean that every rifle will suffer. If you have a "good one" it's worth holding on to.

I have made a number of upgrades/improvements to mine including;

1. Replaced the "Izzy brake" with the FSC556 compensator (http://www.primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=2&idproduct=9) (not pictured below)
2. Installed the Magpul enhanced trigger guard
3. Installed the Sully entry stock
4. Installed a Hogue grip

The rifle remains AWB compliant at this point;

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/M4-3.jpg

When I move to NH in the next few months, I will be doing the following;

1. Installing the Magpul CTR stock with milspec receiver extension (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=CTR-PKG)
2. Installing the Magpul MIAD grip (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MIAD)
3. Installing the BCM™ (MPI) BCG (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=BCG-BCM&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dgroup%20bolt%20carrier%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html) (that will address all of the bolt/bolt carrier group issues mentioned in previous posts)

Let me know if you are interested in the Sully stock as I plan on replacing that in the next month or so with the Magpul CTR. The Sully is one of the few decent options for post-ban rifles.

Dport
10-29-07, 18:52
What does that mean and how would you check for it?

I probably should have said indexed properly. That would include the sight tower as well.

kal
10-29-07, 19:00
I probably should have said indexed properly. That would include the sight tower as well.

I still don't know what a torqued barrel is or how to check if it's done properly.

I think it's time for me to use the search function.:D

Dport
10-29-07, 19:09
I still don't know what a torqued barrel is or how to check if it's done properly.

I think it's time for me to use the search function.:D

It is my understanding that if the barrel nut is over torqued it can bend the index pin on the barrel extension and cause the front sight tower to be misaligned. The most obvious indication of such a condition is excessive windage adjustment. The alternate explanation for excessive windage is that the front sight base was installed incorrectly. This can be a serious problem as the gas port probably isn't aligned, which can cause malfunctions.

User Name
10-29-07, 21:42
Don't sweat it. I am sure other guys that know allot more about AR's have already told you. I've heard bushies go down because of having an incorrectly stacked carrier as well as other quality control issues. I've also seen them run very well under a harsh conditions. Is it my first choice or even 3 or 4? No. But if it worries you take the gun to a good AR gunsmith and have him go over it. Also relax it won't be the only AR you'll own. Welcome to the club.

ddemis
10-30-07, 02:48
I agree with Kingc take that bushy for a nice long shooting session and see how she performs. If things start to go wrong get back on the forum and get some advice and start to build the rifle you want. Buy the way send some pics!

Robb Jensen
10-30-07, 05:43

Should use M16 carriers.

So now you're going to debate me in what I think Bushmaster should do to build better rifles?

Regardless of the end user nor the money spent on an AR all shooters should have the best parts available and a properly assembled rifle.

If someone was to whine/bitch about the cost of a properly built AR then maybe they should look at good used ones, if as you say the end user probably isn't going to shoot 1K rounds per year nor take it to Iraq.

You simply don't know what you don't know..................and that's okay unless you are unwilling to accept it.

Gun Runner
10-30-07, 16:15
So now you're going to debate me in what I think Bushmaster should do to build better rifles?

I didn't say that.

You all act as if I came here and said Bushmaster is right on par with Colt or something. I didn't say they were great or good or swell or anything. They're obviously good enough for their target market and the people who buy them or they wouldn't be the most popular AR type rifle floating around.

Quite the 'holier than thou' attitude here, I must have gotten lost on my way to a different forum. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's the status quo to treat new members here like they just fell off a turnip truck. As if I haven't been involved in the online (and real world) firearms community for years and heard this all before.

Shihan
10-30-07, 18:47
I didn't say that.

You all act as if I came here and said Bushmaster is right on par with Colt or something. I didn't say they were great or good or swell or anything. They're obviously good enough for their target market and the people who buy them or they wouldn't be the most popular AR type rifle floating around.

Quite the 'holier than thou' attitude here, I must have gotten lost on my way to a different forum. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's the status quo to treat new members here like they just fell off a turnip truck. As if I haven't been involved in the online (and real world) firearms community for years and heard this all before.

This is your first post in this thread
"The anti-Bushmaster Kool-Aid is pretty thick here it seems.

Don't worry about the naysayers, it's a Bushmaster, not a damn Olympic or Hesse."

By these last 2 posts your contradicting yourself.
Also its not the practice to belittle anyone on the site but when a brand new member comes in preaching people like Gotm4 are straight to the point in giving out factual information. Disagreeing is fine but you need to be able to back it up with facts that are verifiable.

Your statement
"As if I haven't been involved in the online (and real world) firearms community for years and heard this all before."
Whats this have to do with anything? I carried a M16, CAR15, M4 and some other stuff throughout 18years in the military in a combat unit and learned more about the platform from the guys here than I ever did in the military. One thing that crosses over from what is talked about here to when I played Gijoe, is that I want a weapon that wont fail under any conditions and the knowledge that is given here is invaluable for that.

Gun Runner
10-31-07, 03:59
What am I disagreeing with? Spending $200+ to make a rifle "reliable" when you've never fired it? Spending $200+ to make the rifle "reliable" to go plinking?

Both.

Try the damn thing out. If there's a problem (I'd bet there's not), come here, get some advice, throw money and parts at it and see if fixes it. If you're plinking with it, burning 500rds a year, you'll likely never have an issue. It's certainly built good enough to do that, and then some.

A Bushmaster isn't a finely crafted rifle, nor is it a piece of garbage like some here believe. It's a good middle of the road gun, it's price reflects that, and for 9 out of 10 people, it will be just fine.

Whats this have to do with anything?

It means I've been around numerous gun boards for several years, and been into guns since before I was old enough to shoot a real one. That's all. I still have room to learn, but this thread hasn't taught me anything, as a matter of fact this board hasn't taught me anything, but I've only been here a week or so, the future may be bright. I hope so, that's what I'm here for. If I can impart my minimal knowledge on some lesser-knowing people, that's a definite bonus too. My minimal knowledge does say that a Bushmaster is better than DPMS, and good enough for 99%+ of the people who buy one. If it's not good enough for them, they likely know enough about the AR platform to buy something else.

C4IGrant
10-31-07, 07:48
What am I disagreeing with? Spending $200+ to make a rifle "reliable" when you've never fired it? Spending $200+ to make the rifle "reliable" to go plinking?

Both.

Try the damn thing out. If there's a problem (I'd bet there's not), come here, get some advice, throw money and parts at it and see if fixes it. If you're plinking with it, burning 500rds a year, you'll likely never have an issue. It's certainly built good enough to do that, and then some.

A Bushmaster isn't a finely crafted rifle, nor is it a piece of garbage like some here believe. It's a good middle of the road gun, it's price reflects that, and for 9 out of 10 people, it will be just fine.

It means I've been around numerous gun boards for several years, and been into guns since before I was old enough to shoot a real one. That's all. I still have room to learn, but this thread hasn't taught me anything, as a matter of fact this board hasn't taught me anything, but I've only been here a week or so, the future may be bright. I hope so, that's what I'm here for. If I can impart my minimal knowledge on some lesser-knowing people, that's a definite bonus too. My minimal knowledge does say that a Bushmaster is better than DPMS, and good enough for 99%+ of the people who buy one. If it's not good enough for them, they likely know enough about the AR platform to buy something else.

I did not see where anyone said that they had to drop $200 on a new BM. What I have seen people say is to get a spare bolt and maybe upgrade the extractor internals. This advice should apply to ANY AR as bolts are wear items.

So no matter if the weapon is for plinking or defense, a spare bolt is always a good idea.

You have to remember that this is not a forum geared toward the bump firing, plinking crowd. They are of course welcome, but that is not the focus here. Defensive weapons that are as reliable as we can make them are. So when members give advice, there are not looking at it from a "plinking" role. It is up to the person asking the question to figure out which role he intends to use his AR in and then decide what is over kill for their needs.

C4

Jack_Stroker
11-08-07, 22:16
There's nothing wrong with the Bushmaster depending on what your goals for the weapon are. If it's a toy to shoot at the range, then I'd say you made a fine purchase. Unfortunately I purchased my Bushmaster wanting a self-defense carbine and something that can be used with confidence in a SHTF scenario as well as using it heavily for training. I want absolute reliability and I'm not 100% positive about the Bushmaster based on all the things I've read. After doing my research I'm pretty much settled on the idea of purchasing a Colt 6920 and then using my Bushmaster's lower and getting an LMT upper for it and configuring that for long range use. So I'll have one rifle length and one carbine.

Money wasn't the issue, I just bought the Bushmaster without knowing better.