PDA

View Full Version : Parent charged for boarding bus.

Irish
07-27-11, 01:52
Although the stories from the mother and the bus driver are conflicting (http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/07/perry_county_mother_charged_wi.html) I'd have to say I'd side with the mother who thought her child was in danger. I had no idea that it's illegal to board a bus that you pay for with your tax dollars. Obviously you don't want every parent coming on board at every stop but if someone feels the need to check on their child's welfare I wouldn't stand in their way. I also think it's a huge waste of tax dollars for this woman to be prosecuted.

I also find it ironic that the person who owns the bus company who takes the kids to their unconstitutional, indoctrination center is named Dennis Dum.

P.S. I also know his last name is missing a "b" on the end.

woodandsteel
07-27-11, 11:01
I understand the reason for the law prohibiting adults coming on school buses. However, there is such a thing as common sense application of the law.

It sounds like there was an initial misunderstanding, followed by a police response. Apparently, if I read correctly, a State Trooper investigated the incident and let it go. The fact that the prosecutor came back later and filed charges, leads me to believe that someone was badgering them to bring charges forward.

SteyrAUG
07-27-11, 11:26
A nurse tried to help a kid she believed was sick who just happened to be her kid. Turns out the kid was just fine. End of story.

Irish
07-27-11, 11:50
A nurse tried to help a kid she believed was sick who just happened to be her kid. Turns out the kid was just fine. End of story.

I agree with you but apparently the people who have the power to dictate your life and the power to imprison you don't.

No man, beast or the devil himself could keep me from my son if I felt he was in danger, regardless of the consequences.

SteyrAUG
07-27-11, 12:02
I agree with you but apparently the people who have the power to dictate your life and the power to imprison you don't.

No man, beast or the devil himself could keep me from my son if I felt he was in danger, regardless of the consequences.

I'd have been just as fine if a "nurse" was helping any other kid. Along those lines if the bus driver was willing to check things out and was able to determine the kid was "just sleeping" the parent wouldn't have had to do a damn thing.

montanadave
07-27-11, 12:09
I am sympathetic to the mother's actions and don't fault her for doing what she did. And I think a sensible interpretation and application of the law would preclude prosecution.

But I also see the necessity for such a law. Once those kids are on the bus, they become the responsibility of the bus company and its agents. It is highly unlikely a school bus driver is going to know the parents of every child on their bus. If a bus driver willingly let a child exit the bus with an adult who subsequently turned out not to be the child's parent or guardian, there would be hell to pay.

The bus company needs to cover their ass and probably needs to do a better job of informing the public with regards to their policies. And there do seem to be some conflicting accounts of how this particular situation developed.

Regardless, from a PR standpoint, this is a loser for the bus company and the prosecutor's office. Hopefully, clearer heads will prevail.

BrianS
07-27-11, 14:54
But I also see the necessity for such a law.

Any law like that should be carefully crafted with exceptions to include a parent getting on a bus if they reasonably believe their kid is in danger. Plus it is a pretense to claim that an unarmed bus driver is going to stop a real bad guy from taking a kid anyways, or that fear of a misdemeanor is going to deter a sex offender who wants to deceive somebody so they can commit a felony.

Furthermore, Prosecutors are given wide discretion as to whether or not to charge. If a Prosecutor or Deputy Prosecutor has no discretion they should be thrown out of office or fired.

SteyrAUG
07-27-11, 15:04
Any law like that should be carefully crafted with exceptions to include a parent getting on a bus if they reasonably believe their kid is in danger. Plus it is a pretense to claim that an unarmed bus driver is going to stop a real bad guy from taking a kid anyways.

Furthermore, Prosecuters are given wide discretion as to whether or not to charge. If a Prosecutor or Deputy Prosecutor has no discretion they should be thrown out of office or fired.

And on this we agree.

If nobody is breaking up a fight, and a bus driver isn't willing to do so, I can completely understand a parent who boards a bus to end the fight. You can't expect parents to do NOTHING if nobody else is doing anything to help kids who are or seem to be in danger.

That said, I can understand the reason for "rules" that say parents can't just get on the bus for any reason.

Moose-Knuckle
07-27-11, 16:31
This is the kind of asinine shit people have to endure when living under such a yoke of tyranny.

The red tape these days make me want to commit ritual suicide. :bad:

Belmont31R
07-27-11, 18:20
Didn't you know kids are state property now...?