PDA

View Full Version : The "no kids allowed" movement

Slater
07-27-11, 11:09
Looks like many people can't fathom the concept of parenting, or this whole thing wouldn't have gotten started. To be fair, I'm sure that every generation says that about the next one.:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/the-no-kids-allowed-movement-is-spreading-2516110/

SteyrAUG
07-27-11, 11:18
There was a time parents took unruly children outside until they stopped acting up. OR they got a babysitter. Nobody on their "night out" wants to put up with somebody else's kid.

Take them to McDonalds or someplace more appropriate. Don't even get me started on kids in movie theaters.

variablebinary
07-27-11, 11:23
A: Rise of the homosexual

B: Bad parenting with screaming kids, and it's "okay".

C: Increase of "adult children" where people are in their 30's but not married, with no kids, so they don't want real children around

D: Cranky ass retired baby boomers that can't a child that isn't drugged up on Ritalin.

This is something I really like about Utah. Since pregnancy is the norm (even for white people), this is a very child friendly state.

Littlelebowski
07-27-11, 11:23
The people that can't handle children certainly don't need our earnings going towards their SS nor our children's earnings either.

montanadave
07-27-11, 11:30
First things first, I don't have kids. Never wanted them. Nothing against 'em, really, just not for me.

That said, I resent the notion that expressing my aversion to having other people's children detract from my enjoyment of certain activities, events, or locations makes me a hateful prick. A lot of parents seem to think everyone should be awed into silent admiration of the wonder that is their child and feel privileged to be in the company of their spawn, regardless of how noisy, ill-behaved, unruly, etc., said child may be.

I see nothing wrong with setting some boundaries between adult-appropriate venues and child-appropriate venues. When I walk into a fast-food joint or a chain-restaurant, I expect to see families with kids (although I still can't fathom parents that let their children misbehave in public). If I'm paying to have a good dinner in an upscale restaurant, I don't think I should have to put up with a crying baby at the next table. If the management can ask an obnoxious adult to leave, why not "86" the kid?

Children are not "little adults." They're kids and adults should have the opportunity to get away from them now and again.

And get off my lawn, goddamit! :smile:

Zhurdan
07-27-11, 11:33
The whole concept of "age appropriate" should have nothing to do with the business/location/event. That should be squarely on the parents.

Unfortunately nowadays, many people who are parents were barely more than children when they had them. If I acted up when I was a child, I got a stern look from my father, and that was the end of it. Why? Because if I continued, it was to the bathroom we went and a belt across my ass it was. Now days, if that happened, the police would be called and the child taken away to family services.

This "ban on children" is a result of the pussification of our country, in my opinion. Yes, I'm a DINK, but I don't mind well behaved children. My nieces and nephew, we could take them to a high dollar steak house and they'd never even be noticed. That's simply because they were taught by their parents that there is an appropriate time and place for everything. They are 7, 9, 11 and 15 and they have figured it out. Probably has something to do with their parents giving a shit.

ETA - So, LittleLebowski, being that turnabout is fair play... why should my earnings go towards people with families SS? I don't use the local schools, I don't use day care. Never have, never will, but my tax dollars still help to pay for those services.

SteyrAUG
07-27-11, 12:10
The people that can't handle children certainly don't need our earnings going towards their SS nor our children's earnings either.

Time and place.

If you take your wife out for a nice dinner and a relaxing evening out and some old woman parks at the table next to you with doused in 10 gallons of old lady perfume, does it kind of **** up your evening?

It's the same sort of thing, and it all comes back to consideration for others.

If I am at the "Kids eat Free on Wed Night" buffet, I sorta know what to expect. If I'm at a McDonalds with a play area during peak soccer mom hours there is a similar expectation.

But if I take my wife out for a relaxing night out and a nice meal the last thing I want to do is spend that kind of money and listen to somebodies brat screaming the entire time.

Again, simple solutions.

1. Hire a babysitter
2. Have well mannered children (your best effort is better than no effort)
3. Remove them from the area when they become so unruly they are disturbing others.

Failing that grab your Happy Meals at the drive thru and enjoy the company of your little ones.

QuietShootr
07-27-11, 12:13
Holy free-flowing high pressure shit. I agree with montanadave.

This is living proof that a million monkeys at a million typewriters for a million years will eventually produce Shakespeare.

(I doubt if we agree for the same reasons, but whatever - that's not really important right now. I think it's the duty of every civilized American to have a kid and beat back the tide of the barbarians...)

SteyrAUG
07-27-11, 12:16
The whole concept of "age appropriate" should have nothing to do with the business/location/event. That should be squarely on the parents.

Unfortunately nowadays, many people who are parents were barely more than children when they had them. If I acted up when I was a child, I got a stern look from my father, and that was the end of it. Why? Because if I continued, it was to the bathroom we went and a belt across my ass it was. Now days, if that happened, the police would be called and the child taken away to family services.

This "ban on children" is a result of the pussification of our country, in my opinion. Yes, I'm a DINK, but I don't mind well behaved children. My nieces and nephew, we could take them to a high dollar steak house and they'd never even be noticed. That's simply because they were taught by their parents that there is an appropriate time and place for everything. They are 7, 9, 11 and 15 and they have figured it out. Probably has something to do with their parents giving a shit.

Agreed. They don't have the balls to single out bad parents and tell them their child is unacceptable. So they ban every single kid. Sucks too cause I know quite a few 4-6 year olds who know how to shut the hell up and enjoy a good meal when it is required. I have some fond memories of spending time with my parents at that age and unlike my brother, I never had to be "taken out to the car."

The worst thing that happened was some fancy places had to find something close to a hamburger or hot dog for me, but they really didn't seem too bothered by it and we all had a good time.

They really should just ask parents of unruly children to leave. This will tell parents "this isn't acceptable" and it won't punish the parents who happen to have children who can mind their manners.

montanadave
07-27-11, 12:17

This is living proof that a million monkeys at a million typewriters for a million years will eventually produce Shakespeare.

(I doubt if we agree for the same reasons, but whatever - that's not really important right now. I think it's the duty of every civilized American to have a kid and beat back the tide of the barbarians...)

Shall we seize the moment and resolve the debt-ceiling stalemate?

:lol:

SteyrAUG
07-27-11, 12:18

It happens sometimes.

Littlelebowski
07-27-11, 12:48
I prefer the "pull the parents aside and chat with them" school of thought. I am a father and if my child is not behaving, I will fix it one way or the other. She's too young to understand corrections for the most part and I'm not dumb enough to take her to a theater (not that I go to theaters anyway).

Doc Safari
07-27-11, 12:49
Don't even get me started on kids in movie theaters.

This is my main one. Not that I go to an actual movie theater that often but I think every time I have over the last 5 years some little screaming brat has ruined it.

glocktogo
07-27-11, 13:14
I prefer the "pull the parents aside and chat with them" school of thought. I am a father and if my child is not behaving, I will fix it one way or the other. She's too young to understand corrections for the most part and I'm not dumb enough to take her to a theater (not that I go to theaters anyway).

You appear to be in the minority among parents these days.

I'm all for kids and letting them feel their oats in appropriate settings. But a store or nice restaraunt or theater is not appropriate. For all those parents who refuse to discipline their unruly little brats, I have every intention of embarassing you by asking if you've always sucked at parenting. :D

Irish
07-27-11, 14:28
Every business owner should be entitled to run their business how they see fit to maximize their profits. Simple free market solution is if you like being sans kiddos go to places that enforce that rule. If you're a parent or not and don't like the idea don't utilize their services. The success or decline of their business will be influenced by their decisions. I think the same thing should apply to smoking VS non-smoking and all other similar issues.

I've got an 8 month old who is too young for corrections as well. He's typically very well behaved and we've taken him to family restaurants several times and only on one occasion did I scoop him up and take him out to get some fresh air, he was about 5 months at the time and he wanted to be fed. As a reminder, babies only way of communicating is crying, what their parents do about it is another thing.

One of the biggest problems I believe is lack of parenting and lack of respect for the people around you. I would not let my child ruin someone else's evening out, period.

rob_s
07-27-11, 14:28
No kids allowed is a result of parents taking kids places they shouldn't be taking them to begin with.

I don't know what changed in the last 35 years but I distinctly remember my mother NOT going places because she had us in tow, which today seems to be the furthest thing from anyone's mind and the prevailing attitude seems to be that everyone else in the world should just accommodate the screaming brats.

J-Dub
07-27-11, 14:42
No kids allowed is a result of parents taking kids places they shouldn't be taking them to begin with.

I don't know what changed in the last 35 years but I distinctly remember my mother NOT going places because she had us in tow, which today seems to be the furthest thing from anyone's mind and the prevailing attitude seems to be that everyone else in the world should just accommodate the screaming brats.

I'm with rob, i cant remember going to a "sit down and eat" resturant...hell i can only think of a hand full of time we ate out when i was a kid.

My parents were OLD SCHOOL, my mother was mid 30's my father early 40's when i was born. Mom didnt work, Dad did. She took care of us at home, he took care of us finacially (also in the discipline side)

I thank my lucky stars i had the upbringing i did.

militarymoron
07-27-11, 14:42
our son is 3-1/2 and is reasonably well behaved. he's restless, but not noisy, nor does he run around in restaurants. however, he's had his moments, and if he does, one of us will immediately remove him from wherever we are, take him outside, and return only when he's stopped and quiet. we do it consistently enough for him to know that if he acts up, he's going outside.
one thing i've learned being a parent is that you can't always be in control of your toddler's actions. there comes a point where nothing will stop them from crying - threats, warnings, a calming voice etc. sometimes the severity of the threat or punishment makes them even more upset, rather than stopping them from crying. but usually, you ARE in control of where it happens.

the only thing to do is remove them from the area and let them cry it out where they don't disturb anyone.
the main reason we haven't taken him on a plane yet is out of concern for other passengers, and there's no 'outside' where we can take him if a meltdown occurs.
becoming a parent has made me more understanding of other parents, but also more aware of the people around us. before i had a child, i used to think 'why don't you shut your child up?'. now, i realize that you can't always do that, so i think 'why don't you take your child outside?'

Watrdawg
07-27-11, 14:43

I agree with you 100%. It's the sorry parents fault not the yard apes with them. Thankfully I can take my kids about anywhere and not have to worry about them being unruly. It's been that way since they were very young. We've never had a problem and have been complimented many times on their good behavior. So I have very little patience with those that let their kids run wild or become very loud. If mine were ever to act out I wouldn't be upset if a manager of some type pulled me aside and told me I was disturbing others. I'd probably thank him and then go beat the tar out of my kids:D

Militarymoron also has a very good point and means for when a situation is hopeless. Sometimes there is nothing you can do but go outside and wait your child out until he/she is done.

rob_s
07-27-11, 15:02
before i had a child, i used to think 'why don't you shut your child up?'. now, i realize that you can't always do that, so i think 'why don't you take your child outside?'

or, oftentimes "why the hell did you bring a child here?"

Moose-Knuckle
07-27-11, 16:19
As a paying customer I have rights too.

Several weeks ago my better half and I went to see a movie in 3D at our local IMAX. Two adult tickets cost me $31.98. For the duration of the movie I have the right to enjoy said movie with out the interpuction from inconsiderate patrons. This includes but not limited too, crying babies, unruely children, cell phone use of any kind; texting, talking, games, etc. During this past weekend’s “date night” we caught Captain America, this one cost me $19 and some change for the two of us to see. There was a family of four several rows in front of us. They had one child and a baby, the baby kept doing what a baby does and so the father finally got up and left motioning his wife and older child to follow. They never returned to the theatre. So how much money was that family out for the movie and confections? The dad did the courteous thing and removed the fussy baby from the theatre so props to him but now he is out all that money he just dropped on a fun evening for his family.

The lesson here is DON’T TAKE SMALL CHILDREN THAT CANNOT EVEN COMPREHEND THE MOVIE TO A THEATRE! It’s not fun for a baby or small child to sit for a long period of time in a dark room surround by strangers having their hearing damaged by the theatre’s state of the art digital sound system. Not to metion the graphic scenes in some of the movies idiot parents take their kids to see.

SteyrAUG
07-27-11, 16:52
our son is 3-1/2 and is reasonably well behaved. he's restless, but not noisy, nor does he run around in restaurants. however, he's had his moments, and if he does, one of us will immediately remove him from wherever we are, take him outside, and return only when he's stopped and quiet. we do it consistently enough for him to know that if he acts up, he's going outside.
one thing i've learned being a parent is that you can't always be in control of your toddler's actions. there comes a point where nothing will stop them from crying - threats, warnings, a calming voice etc. sometimes the severity of the threat or punishment makes them even more upset, rather than stopping them from crying. but usually, you ARE in control of where it happens.

the only thing to do is remove them from the area and let them cry it out where they don't disturb anyone.
the main reason we haven't taken him on a plane yet is out of concern for other passengers, and there's no 'outside' where we can take him if a meltdown occurs.
becoming a parent has made me more understanding of other parents, but also more aware of the people around us. before i had a child, i used to think 'why don't you shut your child up?'. now, i realize that you can't always do that, so i think 'why don't you take your child outside?'

or, oftentimes "why the hell did you bring a child here?"

And all these things "used" to be Parenting 101.

montanadave
07-27-11, 17:04
Don't even get me started on kids in movie theaters.

My personal favorite. Years ago, I went to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon at a local theatre. Sitting several rows away, but easily within earshot was a guy with a four or five year old little girl who proceeded to ask "What's it say? What's it say?" every time an English subtitle was displayed on the screen. :rolleyes:

If you're gonna take your kid to a movie with subtitles, how about making sure they can read.

Doc Safari
07-27-11, 17:11
I would also suggest complaining to the manager or ticket counter or whomever instead of confronting the people yourself. I watched a shouting match develop a few years ago because the guy with the noisy kid thought he was being disrespected by the complainer and all that crap.

My personal action is to complain to the theater people and also to demand my money back even if they shut the kids up. Enough of that and theaters will become no-kid zones.

SteyrAUG
07-27-11, 17:51
I would also suggest complaining to the manager or ticket counter or whomever instead of confronting the people yourself. I watched a shouting match develop a few years ago because the guy with the noisy kid thought he was being disrespected by the complainer and all that crap.

My personal action is to complain to the theater people and also to demand my money back even if they shut the kids up. Enough of that and theaters will become no-kid zones.

That and the typical "guy who just can't shut up" nonsense is why I almost never go to movies anymore. I see maybe 4 a year. I'd rather get them on DVD, watch them on my own time in the comfort and QUIET of my own home.

Not to mention saving $25.00

Safetyhit
07-27-11, 17:53
What a waste of energy all the anti-child crap is. A disruptive person is a disruptive person, none should be welcome anywhere whatever the age.

We expect a little better from adults and have a right to, but in all honesty it's been years since a loud child has disrupted my meal in public. Some people just need to complain to be relevant.

Belmont31R
07-27-11, 18:12
What a waste of energy all the anti-child crap is. A disruptive person is a disruptive person, none should be welcome anywhere whatever the age.

We expect a little better from adults and have a right to, but in all honesty it's been years since a loud child has disrupted my meal in public. Some people just need to complain to be relevant.

Our last dinner out was listening to two 18/19/20 year old girls chatting loudly about everything in their lives. Gossip, guys, and other random stupid shit. Our 5YO twins were quieter than they were.

QuietShootr
07-27-11, 18:31
Our last dinner out was listening to two 18/19/20 year old girls chatting loudly about everything in their lives. Gossip, guys, and other random stupid shit. Our 5YO twins were quieter than they were.

I have a 95% solution for that. I beckon them over to me, then when they come over, I tell them, "I can't hear you with your top on."

You would be AMAZED at the results. They either look puzzled, go back, and quiet down, or they giggle, sit down, and one time I even got a girl to show me her tits right at the table at Landry's in Kemah, TX.

threeheadeddog
07-27-11, 19:03
I have 2 rambunctious children (ages 5-6). They are generally very well behaved but they are also very active and, like their father, tend to be all over the place as far as focus goes. I am sure I could drug it out of them, but I refuse to put my kids on a medicine to change behavior. They, I would like to think because of good parenting, also usually see the treat or special circumstance of "going out" and act appropriately. The biggest issue I have is that no matter how hard I try I simply cant get the good natured boys to not laugh like little hyenas when the mighty Kung Fu Panda does something funny. I take them to age appropriate movies, but I fulley expect them at some point to go full hyena for a few seconds while I try and take control of the situation back:D I am ok with that and ok with other children around me like that.

What I cannot stand is parents who dont try and take back control of the situation. Like was stated above, It is your JOB to get control back. You do it by making them mind or you do it by removing them. I also cant stand parents who will let there 12 year old(who should know the F@#$ better) kick my seat until I have to turn around and try to say something nicely with "eyes that can kill" drawing both terror out of the little adolecent prick and very much the same look that I just gave the little @#$% from the mother. I mean dammit I would like to see the big panda kick some ass too. I paid for it I diserve it.

Safetyhit
07-27-11, 19:07

Exactly. And the point that I meant to clarify is that not only are adults more likely to be an issue, they should obviously know far better than children how to behave.

And if their kids are too loud, that's also on them as parents.

Belmont31R
07-27-11, 19:24
I have 2 rambunctious children (ages 5-6). They are generally very well behaved but they are also very active and, like their father, tend to be all over the place as far as focus goes. I am sure I could drug it out of them, but I refuse to put my kids on a medicine to change behavior. They, I would like to think because of good parenting, also usually see the treat or special circumstance of "going out" and act appropriately. The biggest issue I have is that no matter how hard I try I simply cant get the good natured boys to not laugh like little hyenas when the mighty Kung Fu Panda does something funny. I take them to age appropriate movies, but I fulley expect them at some point to go full hyena for a few seconds while I try and take control of the situation back:D I am ok with that and ok with other children around me like that.

What I cannot stand is parents who dont try and take back control of the situation. Like was stated above, It is your JOB to get control back. You do it by making them mind or you do it by removing them. I also cant stand parents who will let there 12 year old(who should know the F@#$ better) kick my seat until I have to turn around and try to say something nicely with "eyes that can kill" drawing both terror out of the little adolecent prick and very much the same look that I just gave the little @#$% from the mother. I mean dammit I would like to see the big panda kick some ass too. I paid for it I diserve it.

Thats what the under the table squeeze with the look is for. In a booth my wife and 1 kid sits on her side. I take one them. So we can each control a kid.

We can take them $30/per person steak houses and they are fine. Even when they were 3 we would just take a baggie of snacks for them to eat. A kid eating doesn't make noise. Even the manager used to come around and give us free drinks and stuff. Never once going out have we had anyone complain or anything.

Even take them to the park and let them wear themselves out before going out. Since I stay at home with them now I take them out back probably 10 times a day to let them run around and expend all that energy.

Abraxas
07-27-11, 19:40

We certainly don't need any more broodmares.

threeheadeddog
07-27-11, 20:01
Thats what the under the table squeeze with the look is for. In a booth my wife and 1 kid sits on her side. I take one them. So we can each control a kid.

We can take them $30/per person steak houses and they are fine. Even when they were 3 we would just take a baggie of snacks for them to eat. A kid eating doesn't make noise. Even the manager used to come around and give us free drinks and stuff. Never once going out have we had anyone complain or anything.

Even take them to the park and let them wear themselves out before going out. Since I stay at home with them now I take them out back probably 10 times a day to let them run around and expend all that energy.

Just to clarify. I dont generally have any issues at all with getting them back under control. I have used the squeeze myself. It would just be nice if they didnt laugh out loud to begin with. Also my kids have very good tasts in food. Taking them to a nice restraunt just means shrimp for them. And at least for that evening, I am the best dad in the world and they are golden.

Don Robison
07-27-11, 20:15
First things first, I don't have kids. Never wanted them. Nothing against 'em, really, just not for me.

That said, I resent the notion that expressing my aversion to having other people's children detract from my enjoyment of certain activities, events, or locations makes me a hateful prick. A lot of parents seem to think everyone should be awed into silent admiration of the wonder that is their child and feel privileged to be in the company of their spawn, regardless of how noisy, ill-behaved, unruly, etc., said child may be.

I see nothing wrong with setting some boundaries between adult-appropriate venues and child-appropriate venues. When I walk into a fast-food joint or a chain-restaurant, I expect to see families with kids (although I still can't fathom parents that let their children misbehave in public). If I'm paying to have a good dinner in an upscale restaurant, I don't think I should have to put up with a crying baby at the next table. If the management can ask an obnoxious adult to leave, why not "86" the kid?

Children are not "little adults." They're kids and adults should have the opportunity to get away from them now and again.

And get off my lawn, goddamit! :smile:

Pretty much my feelings as well. I had no qualms about disciplining my kids if they acted up. We never took them to "nice" restaurants until they were old enough to understand what was acceptable in public and I never wanted them to be a burden or annoying to others around us. Now that I have grand kids; not much has changed. If I go out for a steak I want good steak and could care less if little Jimmy can fit 6 ice cubes in his nose and can make fire truck siren sounds 12Dbs louder than a real fire engine.
If I want that; I take the grand kids to Chucky Cheese. :D :eek:

Ya' don't have to get off my lawn; just don't crap on it.

GermanSynergy
07-27-11, 21:05
Not too many kids eating in my favorite Afghan, Indonesian or Indian places, and the few that are with their parents are very well behaved.

orionz06
07-27-11, 21:52
I am heading to the one restaurant this weekend, McDain's. I am not a parent nor do I choose to be one so I don't need to hear yours. Not everyone in the world thinks your obnoxious baby is cute. Parents today just don't realize that some things need to be given up for a short period of time.

Belmont31R
07-27-11, 22:18
I am heading to the one restaurant this weekend, McDain's. I am not a parent nor do I choose to be one so I don't need to hear yours. Not everyone in the world thinks your obnoxious baby is cute. Parents today just don't realize that some things need to be given up for a short period of time.

While I don't think my kids will disturb anyone's meal you do have to realize you are eating out basically in public, and if you 100% need a meal without ANY kids either eat at home or go somewhere that doesn't allow kids or would eject those with bratty kids.

I can 98% guarantee you if you were sitting next to us, and were actually paying attention to your date/company you wouldn't even know you had kids next to you. Now if you want to be the type to scan the fellow guests and get all uppity because a kid is within 20ft of you then the kid isn't the heart of the problem.

orionz06
07-27-11, 22:21
While I don't think my kids will disturb anyone's meal you do have to realize you are eating out basically in public, and if you 100% need a meal without ANY kids either eat at home or go somewhere that doesn't allow kids or would eject those with bratty kids.

I can 98% guarantee you if you were sitting next to us, and were actually paying attention to your date/company you wouldn't even know you had kids next to you. Now if you want to be the type to scan the fellow guests and get all uppity because a kid is within 20ft of you then the kid isn't the heart of the problem.

Your kids aren't the problem here, and if the kids were an issue it is really the parents to blame. And I have been to many places that have fewer kids and most of those places are frequented by good parents.

07-27-11, 22:38
We take our 9 month old daughter with us almost everywhere, including nice restaurants. We prepare. Change diaper right before going in. Make sure she is hungry. She has had a nap recently. Diaper bag stocked with food. She eats while we eat. Wife and I take turns feeding her while the other eats. Baby stays quiet and if she does get loud, it is usually a happy noise. If she gets loud, in a pissy way, one of us immediatley takes her and head out to where she will not bother anyone. When she is calmed, wife or I returns with her. We also get the check as soon as we order so if she gets rambunctious to the nth degree, we can just leave. Haven't had to do this yet.

However, it seems our child is less disruptive than some of the other people that one comes into contact with regulary in public places. The issue is their behavior is tolerated while a child is not.

skyugo
07-27-11, 23:22
if people want to pay extra not to have to listen to white trash brats scream i dont' see the issue. Hell i'd even buy in if i wasn't such a broke bastard.

free market.

R/Tdrvr
07-28-11, 07:04
Again, simple solutions.

1. Hire a babysitter
2. Have well mannered children (your best effort is better than no effort)
3. Remove them from the area when they become so unruly they are disturbing others.
4. Duct tape

Made a small addition to your list. :D

orionz06
07-28-11, 07:06
We take our 9 month old daughter with us almost everywhere, including nice restaurants. We prepare. Change diaper right before going in. Make sure she is hungry. She has had a nap recently. Diaper bag stocked with food. She eats while we eat. Wife and I take turns feeding her while the other eats. Baby stays quiet and if she does get loud, it is usually a happy noise. If she gets loud, in a pissy way, one of us immediatley takes her and head out to where she will not bother anyone. When she is calmed, wife or I returns with her. We also get the check as soon as we order so if she gets rambunctious to the nth degree, we can just leave. Haven't had to do this yet.

However, it seems our child is less disruptive than some of the other people that one comes into contact with regulary in public places. The issue is their behavior is tolerated while a child is not.

I have seen this done before, but not often enough.

Zhurdan
07-28-11, 08:38
I have a 95% solution for that. I beckon them over to me, then when they come over, I tell them, "I can't hear you with your top on."

You would be AMAZED at the results. They either look puzzled, go back, and quiet down, or they giggle, sit down, and one time I even got a girl to show me her tits right at the table at Landry's in Kemah, TX.

Ha. Silence by stun! Nice. Best make sure that's a hard 18 though. ;)

Rider79
07-28-11, 10:16
I have no problem with the "no kids allowed" movement. Being in Vegas and working in a casino, I see kids at all hours of the day and night. You wonder why your kid is crying? That might be because you have him in TGIFriday's at 3am. I usually just laugh at it.

I did get annoyed a few weeks ago when I saw the new Transformers movie though. Movies come out at midnight Thursdays here and alot of times you'll see young kids at the opening night. So I saw Transformers at 12:45am the second day it was out, figuring there'd be no kids there, since every theater in town had been showing it every half hour since 11:30am that morning. Wrong. There were at least 6 kids in the theater under the age of 3. Amazingly, all of them stayed quiet except one, and a hard look at the parents convinced the dad to remove the child from the theater. I have no life, so I see at least a movie a week in the theater and I try to go late at night to avoid kids.

Jellybean
07-28-11, 11:28

:lol:
That's brilliant.

I had a teacher many years back who had her own version- if a kid was being disruptive, she'd stop and say "I'm sorry for talking while you're interrupting". Worked every time too....:confused:

Honestly, I really don't have a huge problem with very young children being noisy- to a point (after that, it's war...:p).
Maybe I'm just more tolerant than some people, or that I don't have kids. I just tend to view the very young ones as the spawn of Mr. Murphy himself, and as such they're going to make noise and do stupid stuff when you least want them to- not a thing you can do to stop it, no matter how good a parent you are at picking where/when you go, or damage control.

What really grinds my gears is the older kids who should already know better (like mentioned above)- pisses me off to no end. I have been in an appalling number of classes, meetings, etc., where the kids (and often young adults as well) caused incessant disruption throughout the entire event regardless of what anyone did to stop them- they'd just start right back up again. Morons.:angry:

maximus83
07-28-11, 13:23
Although there are WAY too many undisciplined brats in public, I don't see that there is some unprecedented increase in the % of annoying brats out there. There are still a lot of parents who make sure their kids know how to behave in public, and enforce good discipline in public. I know we do with our kids, as do most of our acquaintances who have kids at our church.

I suspect--but cannot prove--that the real catalyst behind the "no kids allowed" movement is the so-called "culture of death" (to borrow a phrase from the Catholics) that Western society has largely embraced. The culture of death is extremely anti-child, and values our present convenience over all other values, including human life. We accept many things that may be convenient to the present generation, but were unthinkable to previous generations (like abortion-on-demand, gay marriage, no-fault divorce, redefinition of the family, etc.). Most of these trends are harmful to children. The "no kids allowed" movement, to me, just seems like a logical extension of the direction we are already going.

Honu
07-28-11, 13:43
some kids like mentioned are not disciplined and some are ?
I see more obnoxious 20-30 year olds these days than kids though !

last time I was at Red Robin my 7 year old loves the place the loud obnoxious 20-30 somethings were the distraction to most people so we should ban all sports yelling high 5 types that have foul mouths and have to share it with everyone !
also ban the people that dont turn off the cell phone at a place like that cause they are a distraction

free market is fine and I am all for anyone having their own rules :)

I am waiting for the lawsuits to start happening soon with this new ban and age discrimination ?

sadly most people and that includes singles or parents are to wrapped up into self worth and its all about ME and also have no tolerance yet they are often offenders themselves

the only answer is single out some that dont seem to control themselves or those they are with and that should go for the loud mouths the cell phone idiots and others :)

QuietShootr
07-28-11, 13:45
Although there are WAY too many undisciplined brats in public, I don't see that there is some unprecedented increase in the % of annoying brats out there. There are still a lot of parents who make sure their kids know how to behave in public, and enforce good discipline in public. I know we do with our kids, as do most of our acquaintances who have kids at our church.

I suspect--but cannot prove--that the real catalyst behind the "no kids allowed" movement is the so-called "culture of death" (to borrow a phrase from the Catholics) that Western society has largely embraced. The culture of death is extremely anti-child, and values our present convenience over all other values, including human life. We accept many things that may be convenient to the present generation, but were unthinkable to previous generations (like abortion-on-demand, gay marriage, no-fault divorce, redefinition of the family, etc.). Most of these trends are harmful to children. The "no kids allowed" movement, to me, just seems like a logical extension of the direction we are already going.

Oh, I think you're probably on to something. But it's too late for me to change my ways -and I knew from the time I was old enough to know I could MAKE a kid (about 11 or so) that there was no way in hell I wanted one.

orionz06
07-28-11, 13:46
loud obnoxious 20-30 somethings were the distraction to most people so we should ban all sports yelling high 5 types that have foul mouths and have to share it with everyone !

You mean douchebags?

montanadave
07-28-11, 16:52
You mean douchebags?

But let's be honest, shall we? Didn't all those "douchebags" start out as children?

:sarcastic:

ST911
07-28-11, 17:59

We read the same parenting book. Either that, or we both had the same parenting book across our bottoms. Or both. :D