PDA

View Full Version : Tru Glo TFO

C4IGrant
07-27-11, 11:14
Worked on a customers gun today with a set of these installed.

Gotta say that I was impressed with them. The $10,000 dollar question is, are they durable?

For those that don't know what they are: http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;PRODUCTS_NO_TREE?cat=30500?company=TGI

C4

Robb Jensen
07-27-11, 11:16
Worked on a customers gun today with a set of these installed.

Gotta say that I was impressed with them. The $10,000 dollar question is, are they durable?

For those that don't know what they are: http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;PRODUCTS_NO_TREE?cat=30500?company=TGI

C4

I've used them quite a bit a few years back. They wouldn't last long, the fiber would break and or get etched from cleaning and carbon.

glockshooter
07-27-11, 11:44
I agree with Robb they just don't last. I had two sets and each set was replaced by truglo due to the FO breaking or coming loose.

silviacrazed
07-27-11, 12:01
Mine have held up well. I'm by no means a professional so take it for what its worth. I'm just a civilian with a CCW. I shoot a few hundred rounds a month through my carry pistol and I carry 8-12hrs a day almost everyday. I've had them on my carry gun for about 6-7months now and I've yet to run into a problem. My carry gun is a M&P 40c.

Sent from HTC EVO using taptalk

Paul45
07-27-11, 12:37
I started using TFO's in early 2006 for my IDPA and USPSA guns. In SSP and Production divisions. I had 4 different fiber optics fall out on the early sights. The sight still worked and the tritium still glowed. The company's customer service was outsatnding with fast replacements.
Since 2009 I have put them on 7 different Glocks - ALL HAVE BEEN FLAWLESS! I have even put them on my 2 G21SF house guns and one of my G30SF car guns. The new sets are heads and shoulders about the older models. I still avoid getting solvent on the fibers optics.
They have made my old eyes function like much younger eyes. Based on the last 2 1/2 years, my personal experience says they work very well with a little care while cleaning. Bright at night, bright during the day and bright in-between.
I don't have them on my 1911 carry guns but I have put a set on my G36 BUG which I have carried everyday for the last 9 months. No issues.
Probably need more data points before I would make a ABSOLUTE recommendation but so far, so good. Contact them and ask about failure/replace rates or trend data.

Beat Trash
07-27-11, 14:49
Buddy had one on his Glock 34 that he used for steel matches. Worked great, until it fell out...

Shawn.L
07-27-11, 15:13
Ive seen more than one go MIA

jenrick
07-27-11, 15:16
I went through three pair on my work G34 in less then a year. All had the front sight fiber fall out around the 5,000 mark. If you don't shoot a lot it's probably not an issue. If you do it's a show stopper. Great sights, just not durable enough.

-Jenrick

C4IGrant
07-27-11, 16:29
That's a shame that they are not more durable. They are a good design I think.

C4

JohnnyC
07-27-11, 17:11
I think generally they're not all that durable based on evidence I've seen around the web. However, and my sample size is exactly 1, I have a set on my 229 that's been my carry gun for a year and haven't experienced anything other than fantastic performance out of them. It hasn't fallen out, it picks up light well, the tritium works as advertised, and they're more accurate than I am. I wish they came in an i-dot/straight 8 type of setup instead of the stock 3-dot, but other than that gripe I've been nothing but impressed.

glen
07-27-11, 17:31
The negative reports on these have been dropping as of late.

Personally have had two sets. They did not break on me FWIW. Ditched them for Sevigny sights because I wanted a narrower front sight with a wider rear notch.

I do agree that TFOs are a neat concept.

Whatever happened to the VTAC M&P TFO -style sights?

lethal dose
07-27-11, 18:57
I've always admired the design... but was scared off by internet/gunshop rumors... the same people who call the AR platform unreliable... wait... maybe I SHOULD try the TFOs...

C4IGrant
07-27-11, 19:05
The negative reports on these have been dropping as of late.

Personally have had two sets. They did not break on me FWIW. Ditched them for Sevigny sights because I wanted a narrower front sight with a wider rear notch.

I do agree that TFOs are a neat concept.

Whatever happened to the VTAC M&P TFO -style sights?

As tends to happen, a product comes out, is not reliable and people ignore it. Then the manufacturer pulls head out of butt and fixes the issues.

So I think we need to see some NEW owners with these sights in order to see if they have addressed the issues.

I might buy one set and see if I can break them.

C4

aaron_c
07-27-11, 19:14
Would you guys say these fiber optic sights are less rugged than the tritium sights TruGlo makes, about the same, more rugged?

payj
07-28-11, 00:58
Have a set on my M&P, so far so good. They are very bright in the sunlight/natural light and are bright at night......

Ty_B
07-28-11, 07:22
I had a set of Tru Glo sights on a turkey gun, and I consider them some of the lowest quality gun parts I've ever used. First, they were almost impossible to mount as the bracket wasn't engineered correctly. This is understandable since I was trying to install them on the rarest of shotguns - the Remmington 870, so I'm sure they couldn't get one for T&E.

They were made of low-grade aluminum, and when I tried to adjust the rear sight, the screw started to strip. Not wanting to strip it completely, I stopped adjusting and had to resort to Kentucky windage to center the pattern.

Finally, I bumped (and I mean bumped, not slammed) the front sight into a 1" sapling while hunting and it sprung off to be lost forever in the leaves. I'm sure it didn't break, but instead shot of because it mounted with the approximate stability of a person standing on a greased beach ball. Any movement and the 2-piece bracket would shift and disengage from the vent rib, which is what made it such a joy to install in the first place. ALL that would have been needed to correct this would have been a 1-piece bottom portion of the sight, or giving a shit - either one.

Since a rear sight is not particularly useful without a front, I was lucky to be able to fairly easily (no surprise at this point) snap the rear off with a multi-tool.

This was about 2 years ago. Never again for me.

Using Grant's link, I see they were the Tru Point Extreme sights. They evidently now sell a more expensive "Pro Series" version that seems to have a better mounting system, but like many suck-ass companies, instead of scrapping the shitty product, they keep it and sell a "premium" version (meaning it actually works) for more money.

Rosco Benson
07-28-11, 11:15
I had a set on a G17 that I ran pretty hard. I was the guy saying "Yeah, I've heard that they aren't durable, but mine are still okay". At least I was until they weren't.

The front sight on mine lost its tritium glow for no apprant reason. No impacts to the sight or anything. It went out just prior to a low-light match. I discovered the problem in...ummmm....stage one.

Sad that the execution isn't as good as the concept.

Rosco

fixit69
07-28-11, 11:25
Had them on my glock22. Not carried and they still broke. Had another set for a 1911, but returned them back. They work well, but they are just too fragile. Maybe I'm just clumsy, but I still like to be able to use sights.

Oh and the tritium in mine was horrible.

GitmoSmoke
07-28-11, 11:46
I have been interested in these sights for about a year now. The only thing that kept me back was the duribility. I talked to a friend who has these installed on several of his glocks and he hasn't had a faliure over about 50,000 combined rounds. His secret is to heat the visible end of the fiber so it expands and then apply super glue.
I am thinking of using some fiber optic epoxy and encapsulating the fiber through the top of the sight. Master Bond has several epoxies that are I used in fiberoptic transmission lines. It held up to carrier aviation duty so I think it would stand up to recoil and cleaning solvents. Their EP39-2 epoxy is designed to bond the fiber to its holder.
Now if I can figure out how to pair the truglo front with a single dot rear I'll have the sight set I want. If I can't get that it is the Ameriglo Pro I dots for me.
http://www.masterbond.com/tds/ep39-2.html

jmlshooter
07-28-11, 12:12
Cheeseball Bass Pro Shops junk.

stinkyDrunk
07-28-11, 13:28
Have them on an M&P9 since last october or so, purchased new. So far so good, about 2000 rounds later.

payj
07-29-11, 00:08
Wrong thread on accident never mind....

orionz06
07-29-11, 22:23
I have been witness to one or two breaking on the range a few years back.