PDA

View Full Version : ContourHD w/1911 Vid. Possible training tool.

JohnnyC
07-27-11, 17:17
Got a wild bug to mount my ContourHD to my earpro and see how it went. Not shooting for groups or speed as I'm just trying to get a decent amount of camera footage to play with. I like the potential for this as a training tool. I can also tell I need practice shooting with gloves as this is the first time I've tried it. I also switched guns to see if I could hear any significant change in sound level on video, but it seems that it compresses the sound similarly to normal video cameras.

Anybody else have good head/rail cam footage and how do you use it to adjust your training?

ContourHD indoors w/1911's (http://youtu.be/MYDpNsYJz34)

Steve S.
07-27-11, 17:32
Are you running slim grips? You may want to try some thicker grips. I could be wrong but it looks like you're fighting to hold the gun tight a bit.

Very cool though. I could see this as a great tool in training. You should show the paper next time too.

Out of curiosity - why the gloves at an indoor range?

JohnnyC
07-27-11, 18:13
Running VZ grips. The ones that look like the Gunner grips, and the Strider Gunner grips that Brownell's has. The aluminum slim grips that were originally on the Nighthawk didn't suit me at all.

I'm shooting in a carbine class that requires gloves as well as a sidearm for transitions. Just wanted to get a feel for them beforehand. I'm borrowing a pair of Sitka shooting gloves my dad had lying around for when he shoots skeet. I've never shot pistol with gloves before and my nomex flight gloves are in storage so I'll take what I can get. We'll see how it goes.

Aside from a couple of called flyers, my groups were all in the black, just not nearly as precise or fast as I normally am, and the visible readjusting of my grip. It's nice to go back and catch my screwups after the fact.

I don't know if I'll get so into it that I show a closeup of the paper coinciding with each round. Maybe if I can get some similar targets with something that shows hits easier I'll just put a freeze frame of the target after every string of fire.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-27-11, 18:26
What was with the hand movements between shots? Was the gun moving that much in your hands?

Like the camera work. It would be nice if you could get a light mounted on the side of the booth to light the gun up so you can see more what is going on.

Keep the gun in your workspace when changing mags. I think indoor ranges with shelves like that lead to bad habits. I bring a belt or clip on mag carrier when I shoot at the indoor range. Picking a spare mag up off the shlf in front of you is rarely going to happen and I found it to be a training scar I wanted to eliminate.

JohnnyC
07-27-11, 18:56
What was with the hand movements between shots? Was the gun moving that much in your hands?

Like the camera work. It would be nice if you could get a light mounted on the side of the booth to light the gun up so you can see more what is going on.

Keep the gun in your workspace when changing mags. I think indoor ranges with shelves like that lead to bad habits. I bring a belt or clip on mag carrier when I shoot at the indoor range. Picking a spare mag up off the shlf in front of you is rarely going to happen and I found it to be a training scar I wanted to eliminate.

Gun wasn't really moving, just weirdness with the gloves. I think they're too small to begin with, so fingers and thumbs feel constricted.

Good idea re:light, I'll have to see if I have anything battery operated lying around. I know they make some cool little LED-based ones.

Again my only intention was to do a camera test. I stopped by on the way back from running some errands and happened to have it. Didn't have any mag carriers on, etc. otherwise I absolutely agree with you. I wasn't prepared to go to the range and do any real training, just a little plinking while I had the camera with me.