PDA

View Full Version : Is this a decent scope for the $$$?

JrFreak
07-27-11, 20:01
I have an EoTech EXPS3-0 and a G23 magnifier on my Stag AR15. I am now looking for an inexpensive scope good for 200-300 yards range. The 3X magnifier is good for me up to about 100 yards, but not much more.

I found this one for $80... I know you usually get what you pay for, but I'm not looking for anything high end.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=826287

Any other scope idea welcome.

ryan
07-27-11, 20:10
You have got to be kidding right?

JrFreak
07-27-11, 21:08
You have got to be kidding right?

You got me!! Yep... completely joking!

Actually... no I'm not. I don't know much about scopes. Haven't hunted in some 30 years and haven't owned a rifle in about the same time.

Thanks for your informational input...

ryan
07-27-11, 21:31
I would rather light 80 bucks on fire than put that scope on one of my guns.

Leupold, Burris, Nikon hell bushnell, simmons, or tasco would most likely be better than that thing.

If I cant afford Leupold or Burris I cant afford a scope.

120mm
07-27-11, 21:40
The cheapest new scope I am aware of that is any good is the SWFA Super Sniper.

You can often get good used Weaver T-series scopes in the $200 range or even a little bit less, if you look for them.

Rattlehead
07-27-11, 21:40
I have an EoTech EXPS3-0 and a G23 magnifier on my Stag AR15. I am now looking for an inexpensive scope good for 200-300 yards range. The 3X magnifier is good for me up to about 100 yards, but not much more.

I found this one for $80... I know you usually get what you pay for, but I'm not looking for anything high end.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=826287

Any other scope idea welcome.

You answered your question with the 'you get what you pay for'.

I understand wanting to buy something cheap to hold you over, but there is no substitute for buying quality.

i.e. - Leupold, Nightforce, Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender, Trijicon

You have already invested in an XPS, and a G23, which combined go for over a grand. I recommend you do the same with a magnified optic, and don't buy junk.

Rattlehead
07-27-11, 21:43
The cheapest new scope I am aware of that is any good is the SWFA Super Sniper.

I second that, the SWFA Super Sniper's are not bad for the price. In fact, they are quite good.

DS-11B
07-27-11, 21:45
Save your money. That is NOT a good deal on a scope. I did the same thing you are thinking about doing a few years ago and learned the hard way. Scopes like that are not built well at all and especially not built for ANY recoil.

Honestly you would be lucky if that scope lasted you 500 rounds before it suffered from some catastrophic failure or another such as the reticule falling out or canting, your zero floating, or your adjustment knobs falling out, seizing up, breaking off, etc. They are that cheap for a reason. Unfortunately scopes are one of those items you really cannot cheat by going cheap.

Unlike how you can do with less expensive ARs, you can't get a cheap scope for taking to the range once a month and putting some rounds down range. They can't handle anything above 22lr. Mine lasted 3 months.

If you want to go cheap, some may disagree with this, but try looking at shotgun/muzzleloading scopes by Nikon, Leupold, Burris, Bushnell etc that are on the lower price end. Hypothetically they should be built to withstand more recoil and last longer.

JrFreak
07-28-11, 05:57
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely pony up some more cash for a better scope.

This is just for casual targeting shooting.

Singlestack Wonder
07-28-11, 10:15
Burris has pre-released their 1x4 MTAC. It's a repackaged Fullfield TAC 30 in black with a rheostat know instead of a pushbutton for illumination. SWFA has them right now for $299. Order the Fullfield TAC 30 and use "BO" in the discount coupon area to receive the MTAC. Burris is doing this due to the lack of being able to deliver the Fullfield TAC 30's.

broylz
07-28-11, 15:36
i use a millett dms right now and shoot to 400 with it. the low/medium power scope im looking at now is the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x. the vortex seems to have good options and warranty for the price.

JrFreak
07-28-11, 17:09
This a decent choice?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=376489

broylz
07-28-11, 18:12
cheapest i personally would go would be a millett TRS-1. they run around $300. but thats for a tactical style scope. if your shooting fixed ranges or dont care as much, ive had ok results with a bushnell sportsman 3-9x off the shelf at walmart on a mossberg 30-06, was my first deer rifle.

ryan
07-28-11, 18:53
This a decent choice?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=376489

Yep thats pretty good, head and shoulders above Millet.

I got my new shooters catalog, check out item# H1A1-207696. Its a weaver not top of the line but not throwing your money away either, the fact that it comes with flip up covers is a nice touch IMO.

JrFreak
07-29-11, 18:57
Yep thats pretty good, head and shoulders above Millet.

I got my new shooters catalog, check out item# H1A1-207696. Its a weaver not top of the line but not throwing your money away either, the fact that it comes with flip up covers is a nice touch IMO.

I like that one. How far out is 10x good far?

seb5
07-29-11, 20:01
1000..............if you are, maybe more. Lots of variables when you go long.

Crow Hunter
07-29-11, 22:55
I like that one. How far out is 10x good far?

Do a little math dude!;)

If a 3x magnifier is only good for you out to 100 yards, by linear interpolation I would assume that 10x would only be good for you out to 333.3333 yards. :D

Seriously, it all depends on you. All the 10x magnification will do is make it look 10 times closer to you than your unaided eye.

If you are having trouble making the hits you want at 100 yards at 3x, which means your target looks the same as it would at 33 yards to the un-aided eye, will having the target 10x larger improve your shooting or would improved fundamentals or better ammo give you the results you are looking for?

Like Seb said, there are WAY more variables to shooting at range than optics, otherwise anyone could be a 1000 yard sniper, all they would need was a 10x scope.;)

And I am not someone who can do it either.

JrFreak
07-30-11, 07:22
I'm not talking about all of the other factors... just the what 10x is realistically good for. Heck, my eye sight is a factor also...

I use a 10x50 pair of binoculars to observe my shoots on target and it doesn't seem to be much better than my 3x, honestly. Those binoculars are old and perhaps of low quality, which doesn't help. But I cannot see using them for 300 yards... not even close... and I have 20/10 - 20/15 vision.

Crow Hunter
07-30-11, 08:39
I'm not talking about all of the other factors... just the what 10x is realistically good for. Heck, my eye sight is a factor also...

I use a 10x50 pair of binoculars to observe my shoots on target and it doesn't seem to be much better than my 3x, honestly. Those binoculars are old and perhaps of low quality, which doesn't help. But I cannot see using them for 300 yards... not even close... and I have 20/10 - 20/15 vision.

The higher the optical quality, the better resolution you will get. The higher the optical quality, the higher the cost.

Are you saying the optical quality isn't letting you see your bullet holes? Or something else?

Could you better define the problem you are having with the Eotech & magnifier? Maybe that will help us give you some better advice.

d90king
07-30-11, 10:53
Burris has pre-released their 1x4 MTAC. It's a repackaged Fullfield TAC 30 in black with a rheostat know instead of a pushbutton for illumination. SWFA has them right now for $299. Order the Fullfield TAC 30 and use "BO" in the discount coupon area to receive the MTAC. Burris is doing this due to the lack of being able to deliver the Fullfield TAC 30's.

Those appear to be a great buy and definitely worth looking into!