PDA

View Full Version : Moving to RI?

stitchclimber
07-27-11, 20:13
So, I'm moving to Rhode Island.

Currently I'm sitting on a pile of
Custom AR's, AK's SBR's SBS's suppressors, and a few handguns and shottys...

I'm guessing my NFA toys are a no go, what other firearm laws should I be aware of? Are AK's and AR's cool?

Also how hard is it to get a carry license in RI, how about carrying in surrounding states?

Thanks for the info.

Jfkudla
08-08-11, 21:22
RI is surprisingly not bad. The state is quirky with CCW licensing..the state AG is May Issue, but each town police Chief is Shall Issue. Both licenses hold the same weight.

I'm not sure about NFA stuff.

There are no other real restrictions..not like MA. No magazine caps, ARs/AKs allowed, etc. Let me know if you have specifics. Where are you moving to in RI?

stitchclimber
08-08-11, 21:53
There are no other real restrictions..not like MA. No magazine caps, ARs/AKs allowed, etc. Let me know if you have specifics. Where are you moving to in RI?

thanks for the info.

Moving to the north side of Providence...

Jfkudla
08-11-11, 18:54
Are you the same person that posted on CRALRI?

stitchclimber
08-11-11, 19:12
Are you the same person that posted on CRALRI?

nope. what is CRALRI?

Jfkudla
08-11-11, 20:14
Gun rights site for RI. Check it out for a wealth of CCW info: cralri.org

There was a guy posting on there with similar questions about moving to RI soon. Coincidental, I suppose. Where are you moving from?

-Justin

stitchclimber
08-11-11, 20:24
moving from Portland OR

Jfkudla
08-11-11, 20:27
Sweet. I just re-read your post..I believe suppressors are illegal in RI entirely, but you should consult someone on cralri and find out if that is correct.

drsal
08-11-11, 22:09
Moved from RI over ten years ago, pretty state, very easy to live there, minimal traffic even during rush hours, parochial and somewhat inbred esp around the towns of Warren and Bristol !

Jfkudla
11-14-11, 10:32
OP, how'd you make out with your move?

stitchclimber
11-14-11, 19:17
OP, how'd you make out with your move?

well to be honest, moving plans are still pending. But I've made arrangements for my NFA toys to be stored at my inlaws place out of state.

Jfkudla
11-16-11, 08:20
Nice. I'm still looking around at ranges here..I really need to get on it because it seems all the good ones have 4-8 month waiting lists.

TMS951
03-23-12, 09:20
There is a state range down in south county I want to join. No waiting, it is seasonal, and some one told me pistol only, but I did not read that any ware official.

The thing that sucks is there are many more places to shoot in MA, but you have to abide by there bans, same with CT.

Jfkudla
03-26-12, 10:31
There is a state range down in south county I want to join. No waiting, it is seasonal, and some one told me pistol only, but I did not read that any ware official.

The thing that sucks is there are many more places to shoot in MA, but you have to abide by there bans, same with CT.

Shooting in MA also sucks because you are commiting a felony, I believe, by going into the state without an FID. Additionally, they've got the MA-compliant gun list (the bans you mentioned). My GF lives in Mass, which sucks. RI is like Texas compared to MA.

Have you given any thought to any private gun clubs in the area? The public range seems a little...public.

Hdog83
03-29-12, 00:15
OP: cralri.org is a great resource, as is northeastshooters.com; both are excellent sources for answers and insights on law/legalities/processes/norms for their respective geographies. Here is my quick summary of your new surroundings:

CT non-resident CCW is shall-issue and done by mail, so go right ahead as soon as you get your RI license. Standard capacity magazines are good to go, but CT does have an AWB in place that you should research with respect to long guns.

MA non-resident CCW is nearly shall-issue, but they issue with restrictions tied ('at a minimum') to any home state restrictions. Oh, and it costs $100/year, and you have to make a trip to Chelsea (outside Boston) for interview and re-fingerprinting every year. Other than that, its a breeze :rolleyes: . MA has a full-on AWB as well, including magazine capacity restrictions (with pre-9/14/94 ban exception). The 'MA-compliant gun list' only affects a dealer's ability to transfer a handgun to a non-LEO, but even though Glocks and HKs (for example) are not on the "approved roster" set forth by the state AG, they are still frequently seen in state (and perfectly lawful for possession, carry, use and face-to-face transfer). There are also statutory exceptions for non-resident possession of various firearms without an LTC or FID in the MGLs, but I bet that most LEOs won't have the foggiest (even if you carry a printout), so if you're going to bring hand- or long guns to MA, I would recommend getting the non-resident LTC-A. Oh, and MA gun stores can't sell ammunition to non-residents (even with the NR LTC), so bring your ammunition with you.

NH non-resident CCW is shall issue, by mail, good for multiple years. NFA friendly. Live free or die.

VT has constitutional CCW, statewide preemption and effectively no firearms laws of which to speak...as a result it is the wild, wild west with drive-bys and Sinaloa/Chihuahua/Tamaulipas-level street violence....

ME non-resident CCW is shall issue, by mail, good for multiple years. I don't recall there being any AWB or unusual long gun restrictions.

NY is, for almost all intents and purposes, a no-go for non-residents with respect to handguns. There is a statutory exception for handgun transportation (not carry) to attend an NRA-sanctioned competition, so switched-on trainers have sanctioned competitions at each day of their NY training classes. Like MA, NY has a full-on AWB and magazine capacity restrictions. FOPA may be Federal law, but it gets interpreted "differently" at the ticket counters at NY airports, so best advice I can give is, avoid at all costs, but if you have to transit through/connect, carry & follow the rules to the letter, and do not take possession of cased handguns at LGA or JFK.

Hope this is helpful; please PM (or ask here) and we will try to point you in the right direction.

halo2304
04-04-12, 12:16
ME non-resident CCW is shall issue, by mail, good for multiple years. I don't recall there being any AWB or unusual long gun restrictions.

Maine does not have any sort of ban on any firearm, NFA items included. While Maine is a Shall-Issue state, it takes a lot longer than 30 days. Also, there are not too many gun shops that "get it." Many carry Bushmaster, DPMS and RRA, etc. Also, tactical nylon and other support gear suppliers are VERY few and far between.

Mjolnir
03-17-13, 16:28
What are the laws like driving through NY State?

I have an opportunity to work in NH but I fear driving through the state as well as any flight redirections in nearby states that would relish capturing a "dangerous felon" at their airport.