PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a Tactical Backpack/Go-Bag for a LEO

At The Ready
07-28-11, 18:59
I need some advice on a backpack/ go-bag, mainly for storing all of my LEO gear to include:
12ga Micro rig
AR Micro rig
Med gear
traffic vest
extra cuffs/ flex cuffs
flashlight
batteries
Pmags
.45/5.56/12ga ammo
Hydration bladder
paperwork folder
and any thing else i need to throw in there

This will be thrown in the trunk of my car most of the time, but I share a car with other shifts right now so i need something all-inclusive and easy to transport. I also want something that I can grab and throw on my back if we have an active shooter/ shots fired situation as I am on the SWAT team and trained as a combat lifesaver through the USMC.

I am liking the 5.11 Rush72, but want to see what others are carrying.

fourXfour
07-28-11, 19:31
I have the rush 72. It should fit your needs pretty well. I use it as an emergency kit in my truck. I have thought about doing the same thing as you.

I currently have a 5.11 bail out bag loaded up with all of my active shooter needs. I have a small attache bag with my day to day patrol needs. Then I have a duffel bag setup with my riot gear, luckily I don't have to carry it everyday. On top of that I usually bring my lunch and have a fourth bag. We can't leave any gear in the car and I'm always lugging it around. I have also considered consolidating everything.

Chameleox
07-28-11, 20:01
Seriously consider keepng your mundane patrol stuff separate from your SWAT gear. Mixing your paperwork, traffic vest, maglite, etc in with your promask, rain gear, binos, and ammo will cause disorganization, and weigh you down when you least need to be.

Will this require you to make two trips to the car at the start and end of each shift? Maybe, but its a better system than loading up everything in one bag. I've been using a Tactical Tailor three day pack so far, with excellent results.

Redberens
07-28-11, 20:07
+1 on the above. Leave the day to day stuff in a 5-11 patrol gear bag in the car. I use a Maxpedition Active Shooter bag to carry three extra PMAGS, a spare pistol mag, flashlight, med kit and cell phone. I don't want to get weighted down with a ton of gear if I have to run to a problem.

At The Ready
07-28-11, 20:53
I appreciate the advice guys, but maybe I should have explained further.

I have the 12ga Micro and AR Micro from SOE for active shooter calls, they each have more than enough ammo for that specific mission, or until I can egress and put the battle rattle on. this is used much like your maxpedition go bags, many of my buddys have these and I like them as well.

Thanks for the advice on gear separation, I agree and am going to set that up before tmrw nights shift.

Any more rec's?

Also, here is the web address for SOE and there AR/12ga micro's. They are great, especially for keeping in the front seat with your long guns.
http://originalsoegear.com/productrigs.html

Chameleox
07-28-11, 21:09
In that case, how about leaving your micro rigs up front with your regular patrol gear, and keeping a 12-24 hour pack in your trunk with H2O, rain gear, lickie/chewies, a couple more mags and binos? Or, depending on your role, whatever you'd need to hold a perimeter for 8-12 hours.

My front seat has an Eagle Patrol bag. Has all of my regular crap. Towards the back of the bag is an Eagle/SKD vest with my active shooter load. With 4 PMAGs, and an IFAK, I think its larger than your OSOE rig, so what you're carrying should fit up front with no issue.

Weaver Service & Supply
07-28-11, 21:16
We like the 5.11 Rush 72, or how about the Maxpedition Vulture-II?

Kfgk14
07-29-11, 00:08
Maxpedition.

Tiny86
07-29-11, 01:49
I also carry a few extra knives and a good quality pair of wire cutters.
Some good electrical tape and a few pairs of extra gloves. (latex, and regular)

At The Ready
07-29-11, 08:28
In that case, how about leaving your micro rigs up front with your regular patrol gear, and keeping a 12-24 hour pack in your trunk with H2O, rain gear, lickie/chewies, a couple more mags and binos? Or, depending on your role, whatever you'd need to hold a perimeter for 8-12 hours.

My front seat has an Eagle Patrol bag. Has all of my regular crap. Towards the back of the bag is an Eagle/SKD vest with my active shooter load. With 4 PMAGs, and an IFAK, I think its larger than your OSOE rig, so what you're carrying should fit up front with no issue.

thats a great idea, thanks man

Weaver Service & Supply
07-29-11, 20:00
thats a great idea, thanks man

Did you get a chance to look at the specs of the Rush 72 and Vulture II? The Rush 72 has been a favorite but the Vulture II is a great product.

snake9761
07-30-11, 08:49
I am in the same boat as you as we share cars so here is what I do:

I have a crye jpc with 3x AR mags, 2x glock mags and an ifak that sits on my front seat for active shooter etc.

I then have an Eagle A-III pack with a traffic vest, more med gear, extra gloves, paper work, batteries, cuffs etc. The med gear I put into some large zip loc bags so I can grab that and go if I don't need the whole pack.

Sean

BC520
07-30-11, 14:07
Did you get a chance to look at the specs of the Rush 72 and Vulture II? The Rush 72 has been a favorite but the Vulture II is a great product.

Here's the thing though. As patrol officers going into a Rapid Response environment, those packs are too large. We don't need packs that are the size of 72-hour packs for most of what we are doing. 2500-3000 ci is too much capacity. Extra ammunition, water, medical, small items to help clear rooms, lickies/chewies maybe, that's pretty much what you will charge in with. A pack half that size, like a HAWG or the like would be a better thing to go with. Remember, the larger the pack, the more you'll put in it. The more you put in it, the more cumbersome.

BC520
07-30-11, 14:10
I also carry a few extra knives and a good quality pair of wire cutters.
Some good electrical tape and a few pairs of extra gloves. (latex, and regular)

A few extra knives? Are we still talking about Rapid Response, or the day to day in-case tools you're carrying in your squad bag in the trunk?

Tiny86
07-30-11, 14:41
I keep an extra knife in my my rapid responses bag and two in my patrol/trunk bag.
I guess it can be a little excesseive for a speed bag but honestly it dosent take up much room.

Chameleox
08-01-11, 10:54
Here's the thing though. As patrol officers going into a Rapid Response environment, those packs are too large. We don't need packs that are the size of 72-hour packs for most of what we are doing. 2500-3000 ci is too much capacity. Extra ammunition, water, medical, small items to help clear rooms, lickies/chewies maybe, that's pretty much what you will charge in with. A pack half that size, like a HAWG or the like would be a better thing to go with. Remember, the larger the pack, the more you'll put in it. The more you put in it, the more cumbersome.

Lot of truth here. Consider dividing your gear into 1st line through 3rd line. 1st line is your belt. 2nd is what you can put on for an active shooter or quick deployment Vest, chest rig, bandoleer. 3rd line is your pack, for longer term deployments or perimeters.

ClintHall
08-01-11, 11:31
I'm not sure what your budget is, but the Kifaru XRay or Molle Express might suit your needs. They're expensive, but you can pick them up used on the Kifaru forums for much less than what you'd pay for a new one. And they hold up well enough that buying used is rarely a risk.

I've owned several. Quality is top-notch.

PatEgan
08-01-11, 13:07
Lot of truth here. Consider dividing your gear into 1st line through 3rd line. 1st line is your belt. 2nd is what you can put on for an active shooter or quick deployment Vest, chest rig, bandoleer. 3rd line is your pack, for longer term deployments or perimeters.

A big +1 on this.
I like keeping ALL of my admin crap away from my 'grab n' go' stuff, less to go wrong and less time spent forking through the unnecessary to get to the necessary.

Pat

At The Ready
08-02-11, 07:38

I like it! Going to try this out tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help guys

jklaughrey
08-03-11, 00:03
I am sure glad I take my vehicle home at night, but I will second the rush72.

ra2bach
08-03-11, 20:13
I keep an extra knife in my my rapid responses bag and two in my patrol/trunk bag.

what for?

Tiny86
08-05-11, 01:49
what for?
The two in my patrol bag, in case I forget one I usually carry, or if one breaks, if a buddys needs one for the day. Granted I have yet to break one. And also if I need a stronger/bigger knife then the ones on me.
As for as the speed bag, same reasons. I want that to be as complete a set up as possible. So if for some reason I don't have a knife one me and I'm in the middle of a C. F. I'll at least have a knife in my bag.

When you have to ass our of you cruiser as fast as possible everything on your person seems to get caught, tangled or torn out of your pouch/pocket without your realizing it.