PDA

View Full Version : Movies as promotional material for firearms

Slater
07-28-11, 21:47
The thread on "Lethal Weapon" kinda got me thinking: a few (maybe a lot) folks went out and bought a particular firearm because they saw it featured prominently in a movie or TV show. "Lethal Weapon" probably helped boost Beretta 92 sales to some extent.

Personally, I went out and bought a SPAS-12 shotgun after "The Terminator" hit theatres in 1984 (I was 24 then, what the heck). A big, heavy, and not so practical shotgun that was actually fun to shoot, very well built, and (in the semi-auto mode) the softest recoiling shotgun I've ever fired.

In the 1970's - for those of you old enough to remember - everyone went out and bought an AR-15 after the TV show "S.W.A.T." premiered in 1975. Of course, all the bad guys in that show seemed to be armed with M1 carbines, but I don't know if that influenced sales at all.

I read somewhere that the SIG P-226 made it's big screen debut in "Rambo: First Blood Part II", but I don't recall what scene it was in.

OK, who else will admit to being swayed by the movies in regard to a firearms purchase? Admittedly, it's probably not advisable to let Hollywood pick your weaponry.

militarymoron
07-28-11, 22:10
i picked up a colt SP1 with 16" barrel and collapsible stock after seeing 'Platoon'.

SeriousStudent
07-28-11, 22:15
The most obvious one that leaps to mind is the S&W Model 29 in .44 Magnum after "Dirty Harry" was released.

And no, I was not one of the people that bought one.

Slater
07-28-11, 22:31
"Saving Private Ryan" and "Band Of Brothers" probably got a lot of folks interested in M1 Garands and M1 carbines.

LHS
07-28-11, 22:43
It's not a movie, but I became rather interested in the FG-42 after playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Before that, I'd never heard of the gun at all. Now it's my holy grail, if I ever win the lottery.

SeriousStudent
07-28-11, 22:59
It's not a movie, but I became rather interested in the FG-42 after playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Before that, I'd never heard of the gun at all. Now it's my holy grail, if I ever win the lottery.

That's funny, it made me buy a chainsaw......:D

SteyrAUG
07-28-11, 23:55
The thread on "Lethal Weapon" kinda got me thinking: a few (maybe a lot) folks went out and bought a particular firearm because they saw it featured prominently in a movie or TV show. "Lethal Weapon" probably helped boost Beretta 92 sales to some extent.

Personally, I went out and bought a SPAS-12 shotgun after "The Terminator" hit theatres in 1984 (I was 24 then, what the heck). A big, heavy, and not so practical shotgun that was actually fun to shoot, very well built, and (in the semi-auto mode) the softest recoiling shotgun I've ever fired.

In the 1970's - for those of you old enough to remember - everyone went out and bought an AR-15 after the TV show "S.W.A.T." premiered in 1975. Of course, all the bad guys in that show seemed to be armed with M1 carbines, but I don't know if that influenced sales at all.

I read somewhere that the SIG P-226 made it's big screen debut in "Rambo: First Blood Part II", but I don't recall what scene it was in.

OK, who else will admit to being swayed by the movies in regard to a firearms purchase? Admittedly, it's probably not advisable to let Hollywood pick your weaponry.

There are two primary influences on my firearms collection: My father and my favorite movies and TV shows.

A-Bear680
07-29-11, 08:10
"Saving Private Ryan" and "Band Of Brothers" probably got a lot of folks interested in M1 Garands and M1 carbines.

And 1911's too , I think .

This movie could fire up the market for M1 Garands , M1 Carbines and 1911s :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtNsksG5_mo

71 - Into the Fire

A-Bear680
07-29-11, 10:48
Another clip from " 71 - Into the Fire " :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf3kysh1K-4&feature=mfu_order&list=UL

Looks like the first 8 1/2 minutes of the movie .

glockeyed
07-29-11, 10:54
ill admit it.

i bought a 92, but it was from diehard not LW. :D

and always wanted a 1911, because magnum PI had one. (still working on the Ferrari)

SteyrAUG
07-29-11, 11:54
ill admit it.

i bought a 92, but it was from diehard not LW. :D

and always wanted a 1911, because magnum PI had one. (still working on the Ferrari)

That really might have been the greatest intro of any 80s TV show.

Slater
07-29-11, 12:17
...and let's not forget our buddy Jack Bauer:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/24_-_Season_1

glockeyed
07-29-11, 14:36
That really might have been the greatest intro of any 80s TV show.

i don't know... dukes of hazzard and knight rider, are up high on the list too.

always wanted a T/A, and a bow and arrow.:ph34r:

SteyrAUG
07-29-11, 16:21
i don't know... dukes of hazzard and knight rider, are up high on the list too.

always wanted a T/A, and a bow and arrow.:ph34r:

Excuse me a moment while I go ahead and revoke your credibility license.

:laugh:

The_War_Wagon
07-29-11, 16:41
Not a 1: 1 perfect correlation, BUT...

My first pistol, was a S&W 1006 - inspired by LOTS of Dirty Harry movies, and his love of the S&W (albeit, a slightly different model :p ).

Dennis
07-29-11, 17:24
Stainless Mini-14 with matching factory folder when I was 16 courtesy of my Dad and the A-Team!

Dennis.

glockeyed
07-29-11, 19:18
Excuse me a moment while I go ahead and revoke your credibility license.

:laugh:

lol, never had one!:p

LOKNLOD
07-29-11, 22:56
For a long time growing up, the MP5 was the epitome of "cool gun" for me, largely thanks to our buddy John McClane and his Teutonic terrorist associates.

Moose-Knuckle
07-29-11, 23:43
Red Dawn made me into an Kalashnikov junkie.

Slater
07-30-11, 11:18
Then there's one of Arnie's greatest hits, and a personal favorite of mine from the 1980's. Some guys turn this movie into a drinking game (take a drink every time Arnold kills someone):

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Commando

Cagemonkey
07-30-11, 13:17
I think Miami Vice helped make revolvers obsolete in the minds of the average novice gun enthusiast. Every one wanted a BREN 10.

Moose-Knuckle
07-30-11, 14:30
For any serious film student you cannot over look the Micheal Mann films. IMHO they are the "best" firearm related movies; The Last of the Mohicans, Heat, Collateral, Miami Vice (the movie), and Public Enemies.

A side note about Miami Vice the TV show Micheal Mann was it's executive producer so he had a heavy influence on the firearms utilized and action sequences.