PDA

View Full Version : Officer Harless, Canton PD...more performances found

QuietShootr
07-29-11, 07:03
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9c0_1311892748

Clearly, this was an isolated incident. That happened more than once.

Did I call it in the other thread, or what? That guy had done this numerous times before. He was way too sure of himself for that to have been the first time.

Which means his partner and everyone who worked with him is culpable, IMO.

sammage
07-29-11, 08:16
I am Jack's Complete Lack of Surprise. Good thing the recent video got such attention, or he would still be on the job, getting ready to put people in their graves for no reason.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-29-11, 09:59
The good news is: Good Cops will put this piece of shit in a cell, not in a grave.

ALCOAR
07-29-11, 10:48
//////

QuietShootr
07-29-11, 11:12
The good news is: Good Cops will put this piece of shit in a cell, not in a grave.

Please...this guy isn't going to jail. He might get fired, but he's not going to jail.

SteyrAUG
07-29-11, 11:34
As we don't even seem to be able to have a "good cop" thread anymore, I don't see this one lasting very long.

I don't know why the forum is so sensitive about the subject, bad cops exist. So long as they hire "people" sooner or later you will get bad cops despite your best efforts.

You handle it the same way you handle it when somebody can't manage the fries at McDonalds. You get somebody new.

120mm
07-29-11, 11:38
You handle it the same way you handle it when somebody can't manage the fries at McDonalds. You get somebody new.

Unfortunately, the fry cook at McDonald's does not have the power to ruin someone's life, and then walk away untouched, because he does it under the mantle of "the law".

And the fry cook doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in the eyes of the "brotherhood" of his fellow fry cooks.

mrbieler
07-29-11, 11:43
I know you don't want to step on your partner in a conversation/confrontation, but I am not understanding why someone doesn't disengage this guy once there are multiple officers on scene.

I doubt there will be any charges placed on him, but I do hope the department has enough sense to kick him to the curb.

Littlelebowski
07-29-11, 11:52
Officer Harless is very afraid and angered by citizens with firearms. I hope he loses his firearms rights.

VooDoo6Actual
07-29-11, 12:01
Just wait more coming... bank on it

Littlelebowski
07-29-11, 12:02

I agree. A pattern is emerging. Hopefully his union will not circle the wagons.

QuietShootr
08-26-11, 08:18

Give that man a cigar!

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/investigations/exclusive-third-dash-cam-video-released-of-canton-police-officer-making-death-threats

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-26-11, 09:40
Give that man a cigar!

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/investigations/exclusive-third-dash-cam-video-released-of-canton-police-officer-making-death-threats

NewsChannel5's investigative team obtained a third video that once again shows a Canton police officer making death threats during a traffic stop.

Hat Trick!!!!

He's gone. He says at 5:00 that he will perjure himself in court to justify shooting the passenger. What will happen any time he takes the stand in a court case?

CoryCop25
08-26-11, 10:10
Officer Harless is very afraid and angered by citizens with firearms. I hope he loses his firearms rights.

This guy doesn't care about firearms rights. He has no clue. He probably barely qualifies every year. If he would loose his badge and gun, he would only miss his badge....

CoryCop25
08-26-11, 10:14
As we don't even seem to be able to have a "good cop" thread anymore, I don't see this one lasting very long.

I don't know why the forum is so sensitive about the subject, bad cops exist. So long as they hire "people" sooner or later you will get bad cops despite your best efforts.

I agree with this. I will also add that the forum doesn't have any positive posts about good cops doing good things. I think that is the norm for most news worthy police incidents. If there were more "Hey this cop saved this guys life" or "this cop rescued this dog" threads, there wouldn't be much of an issue. I saved a guys life with our newly issued AEDs a few years ago and it never made the local news. It made the last page of the Borough Paper.

Oh yeah, I want to be a McDonald's fry cook when I retire....:p

khc3
08-26-11, 10:42
Hat Trick!!!!

He's gone. He says at 5:00 that he will perjure himself in court to justify shooting the passenger. What will happen any time he takes the stand in a court case?

What happens to anyone his testimony helped convict?

hatt
08-26-11, 10:47
I'm not following this "you have to post good stories in order to post bad stories" logic. If we extend it to fry cooks, since we don't recognize fry cooks for frying good fries, and can't talk about fry cooks spitting in our fries.

Not many people get a lot of recognition from simply doing their jobs. They **** up and they get all kinds of exposure. I don't know why anyone would think this would be different with LE? It does indicate that many LE feel they're a protected class.

Nathan_Bell
08-26-11, 11:04
Recall the axiom of sales: If someone has a good experience they will tell 3 about it; a bad one....12. Now with the Internet I would add an order of magnitude to the negative.

That's the way it goes...

I agree with this. I will also add that the forum doesn't have any positive posts about good cops doing good things. I think that is the norm for most news worthy police incidents. If there were more "Hey this cop saved this guys life" or "this cop rescued this dog" threads, there wouldn't be much of an issue. I saved a guys life with our newly issued AEDs a few years ago and it never made the local news. It made the last page of the Borough Paper.

Bolt_Overide
08-26-11, 11:23
I really hope they fire this jackass and send him down the road soon so he can stop giving good cops a bad name.

Irish
08-26-11, 11:30
I will also add that the forum doesn't have any positive posts about good cops doing good things. I think that is the norm for most news worthy police incidents. If there were more "Hey this cop saved this guys life" or "this cop rescued this dog" threads, there wouldn't be much of an issue.

Honestly we could extend that to a lot of different things. I used to post positive incidents with concealed carry holders defending themselves and loved ones every day but got tired of it and it didn't add that much to the forum. On the other hand people post videos of knuckleheads doing stupid shit with firearms all the time so we can jump on them. Different but similar...

I think the vast majority of people feel that most of the police are the good guys most of the time. I also think that people take it for granted that the police are doing their job and that is to keep people safe so when they veer out of the good guy lane into the bad it's definitely something worth talking about. Talking about Officer Jones helping Citizen Jane isn't nearly as interesting as talking about Jones beating the snot out of someone without provocation.

Suffice it to say the majority are the good guys the same way most people are good people. You have an equal amount of bad people percentage wise in society, the police, the military, etc. Putting on any type of uniform doesn't make one a saint.

In my opinion the dickhead in the videos threatening people's lives under color of law needs to be in jail, period.

Title 42, U.S.C., Section 14141 makes it unlawful for state or local law enforcement agencies to allow officers to engage in a pattern or practice of conduct that deprives persons of rights protected by the Constitution or U.S. laws.

Cory and the rest of the good guys thank you for doing a great job!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-26-11, 11:37
In my opinion the dickhead in the videos threatening people's lives under color of law needs to be in jail, period.

Exactly. I was under the impression that his conduct was an offense great enough for jail time. Are we wrong? Im sure politics will keep him out the slammer, but whats the technicalities here?

Sensei
08-26-11, 11:51
Exactly. I was under the impression that his conduct was an offense great enough for jail time. Are we wrong? Im sure politics will keep him out the slammer, but whats the technicalities here?

There is more than enough evidence to pursue a Communicating Threats or Simple Assault charge. It's more of a matter of getting the DA to bite.

CarlosDJackal
08-26-11, 11:54
As with any line of work that happens to be a position of authority, Cops belong in one of three possible categories:

1) Someone who wants to serve their community and willingly risks their very lives to do so.

2) Someone who views the job as a means to a paycheck and will only do the bare minimum to stay employed.

3) Someone who has an over-inflated ego and enjoys the power trip that comes with the job; especially when it comes to pushing people around.

Which category do you think this idiot belongs under? :rolleyes:

CarlosDJackal
08-26-11, 12:08
Unfortunately, the fry cook at McDonald's does not have the power to ruin someone's life, and then walk away untouched, because he does it under the mantle of "the law".

And the fry cook doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in the eyes of the "brotherhood" of his fellow fry cooks.

Yeah, but by the same token how many McDonald's Fry cooks do you know of that:
- Have to wear body armor as part of their job.
- Have to wear a uniform that has a bullseye on the back.
- Have to carry a gun.
- Have to deal with and sometimes arrest our society's scum that anyone else with a brain would keep their distance from.
- Have to respond to a Domestic dispute where the danger of extreme bodily harm does not necessarily always come from the attacker.
- Have to go out in a blizzard, hurricane or any other natural disaster when those with any brains would stay home.
- Have to run towards the sound of gunfire against what their instinct for survival is telling them.
- Can get fired for posting their opinions on facebook.
- Can get fired for doing exactly what society has hired them to do just because the person they arrested is of a particular race or is well-connected.
- Can get sued for doing exactly what they were trained for, in the manner they were trained to do it in, with the preferred out come for all (except the bad guy).
- Has to, by law, intervene when they come upon in a felony in progress or face getting fire or worse.

This guy is a POS in the highest order. I could not even finish watching the video he pissed me off so much. But I wonder hwy there isn't as much of an outcry over what the Canton, OH mayor said in defense of this "uniformed criminal" (it's the best description I can come up with)? Just sayin'.

nickdrak
08-26-11, 12:19
While I agree that this guys is an idiot, I personally feel that in the video posted at the beginning of this thread he is completely justified with his mouth up until the point that he removes everyone from the vehicle and has them detained. I have no issue what-so-ever with using threatening verbal control in a situation where I feel my life or the lives of others is at risk.

The video shows a bunch of subjects in a vehicle in a high crime area with a firearm on the floor within hands reach of 2 or more of the subjects, and no one is claiming ownership. That should be a clue! THIS ISN'T A 2nd AMENDMENT, OR A LEGAL CCW ISSUE FOLKS! I have no problem communicating the fact that I will shoot them in the face if anyone makes a movement towards that weapon. Especially if it keeps me from needing to actually do so.

I think Ofc. Harless is compensating for piss-poor tactics & training with his big mouth more than anything. He should be taken off the street before he gets himself or someone else killed due to his shitty tactics. Who ****ing searches the interior of a vehicle with a subject still seated in the driver seat before checking him or even asking him if he has a weapon? Stupid does!

JSantoro
08-26-11, 12:34
I'm not following this "you have to post good stories in order to post bad stories" logic.

It does indicate that many LE feel they're a protected class.

Nobody posted that anybody HAS to do anything of the sort. This is you cherry-picking what you've read IOT support conclusions you may already possess. It is not making a note of things as posted and drawing conclusions thereof.

It's also gonna stop, immediately.

Irish
08-26-11, 12:37
The video shows a bunch of subjects in a vehicle in a high crime area with a firearm on the floor within hands reach of 2 or more of the subjects, and no one is claiming ownership. That should be a clue!

Are you referring to the 2nd video that was released or the 3rd? It sounds like you're referring to the older video and not this one.

nickdrak
08-26-11, 12:46
Are you referring to the 2nd video that was released or the 3rd? It sounds like you're referring to the older video and not this one.

I was referring to the video posted at the start of this thread with those comments you quoted.

With the example of searching the vehicle while the driver is still seated in the car I was specifically referring to the first video in the series with the CCW driver and the pimp & prostitute in the back seat of his car.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-26-11, 13:09

If we didn't hold LEOs in such high regard, we wouldn't be so incensed when they are bad apples like these guys.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-26-11, 13:42
Yeah, but by the same token how many McDonald's Fry cooks do you know of that:
- Have to wear body armor as part of their job.
- Have to wear a uniform that has a bullseye on the back.
- Have to carry a gun.
- Have to deal with and sometimes arrest our society's scum that anyone else with a brain would keep their distance from.
- Have to respond to a Domestic dispute where the danger of extreme bodily harm does not necessarily always come from the attacker.
- Have to go out in a blizzard, hurricane or any other natural disaster when those with any brains would stay home.
- Have to run towards the sound of gunfire against what their instinct for survival is telling them.
- Can get fired for posting their opinions on facebook.
- Can get fired for doing exactly what society has hired them to do just because the person they arrested is of a particular race or is well-connected.
- Can get sued for doing exactly what they were trained for, in the manner they were trained to do it in, with the preferred out come for all (except the bad guy).
- Has to, by law, intervene when they come upon in a felony in progress or face getting fire or worse.

This guy is a POS in the highest order. I could not even finish watching the video he pissed me off so much. But I wonder hwy there isn't as much of an outcry over what the Canton, OH mayor said in defense of this "uniformed criminal" (it's the best description I can come up with)? Just sayin'.

Actually, there was a discussion in a thread, or a whole thread about the mayors comments. Someone even posted his email, work and home phones.

If you uniforms have a target on the back, may I suggest getting some other retail chain store giant to sponsor you guys.

I'm sure there are people involved in politics and the financial sectors who get hacked off by generalizations and missrepresentations of what happens in their line of work that get discussed here. Fire fighters risk their lives everyday for community and we don't give them near limitless authority to screw with peoples lives. If I'm grilling in my back yard I can tell a firefighter that stops by to go screw himself. An out of control cop can meddle and intrude at any time, try telling him to buzz off. As we have seen many times, try to assert your rights and all you seem to do is attract more attention. They don't say "You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride" for no reason.

It's a crappy situation brought on by an underclass or criminals that makes our LEOs jobs very difficult and dangerous, but then we expect the same cops to be able to tell who the good guys are instantly. 99.9% of the time you guys get it right, but its the fraction of a percent of the time that you treat a really innocent person like a repeat offended that gets all the attention. And I think is where most of the arguements here about 'LEO bashing' come from. We good guys see a cop do something that seems unprovoked and we insert ourselves as good guys into the bad guys spot. Two totally different view points on agreed facts.

I'll even stick up for the cop a bit. WTF where the people in the first video doing just sitting in the car in the middle of the night, and one of the guys in the car in this video has a PO. Doesn't come near to excusing what he said. Does that cop make his kids play Russian Roulette if they don't eat their vegetables?

Belmont31R
08-26-11, 14:20
This is why we can't have nice things.

Leave that type of stuff off the website. If you want to look up your state laws.

CoryCop25
08-26-11, 14:32
There are some tactics that police use to get their point across to certain individuals. We (my area) call it talking down. This means that sometimes to get your point across to maybe an intoxicated person or a gang member, you have to speak their language. Like use profanity or slang. I am not sticking up for this guy in any way but he may be trying this tactic and going about it in a horribly bad/wrong way.

As to the two other posters on this thread, this is precisely why threads like this get closed. It is the "who do these cops think they are?" attitude that gets added to a reasonably intelligent conversation that ruins it for all. If you guys don't like police, no sweat. When the "what if I gun one down for threatening me?" questions start, the little closed tab appears.

Irish
08-26-11, 14:39
Just a thought and a little info for the new guys who don't know... Here at M4C there used to be a "no cop thread" rule that was in full effect and that ban was lifted not too long ago. Since then there have been several good threads on different matters concerning the police which have been informative and some might say even slightly controversial. However, they were all dealt with in an intelligent, respectful manner so let's try to keep it that way in this thread as well.

Best,
Irish~

nickdrak
08-26-11, 15:00
JEEZUS:rolleyes:

What if Arthur Fonzarelli reached into his pocket to pull out his comb and officer Harless told the Fonz that he was going going to shoot him in the face?

ENOUGH!

ETA: The above was in response to a ridiculous "What if" posted by another member who's posts here in this thread have since been removed.

PaulL
08-26-11, 15:59
Last I checked, the thread isn't about how to get away with shooting cops. Why do I keep seeing it mentioned? Chip on shoulder much, perhaps?

I use threads like this to learn how to have pleasant experiences when dealing with police officers. Don't be a jackass and get it closed, please.

ETA: Full retard posts were removed after I posted this.

nickdrak
08-26-11, 16:07
Last I checked, the thread isn't about how to get away with shooting cops. Why do I keep seeing it mentioned? Chip on shoulder much, perhaps?

I use threads like this to learn how to have pleasant experiences when dealing with police officers. Don't be a jackass and get it closed, please.

^BINGO!

JSantoro
08-26-11, 16:22
I am in no way disrespecting Law Enforcement Officers, or their profession in general.

This is absolutely correct...

....instead, you're just trying to narrow down the circumstances under which you think you can get away with slotting one with your quote-un****ingquote peacemaker.

You can stop posting, now, before you get the option taken out of your hands.

All posts by this lunatic and those that quoted him have been deleted.

C4IGrant
08-26-11, 16:29
I talk to several of Canton PD's officers monthly. Dan (guy in the vid) was almost killed by a bad guy a couple years ago (BG bit his finger off, etc). Because of this he was never quite right and really should have been given a medical retirement.

Not an excuse for how he behaved, but there is usually something underneath that causes behavior like this.

C4

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-26-11, 17:14
I talk to several of Canton PD's officers monthly. Dan (guy in the vid) was almost killed by a bad guy a couple years ago (BG bit his finger off, etc). Because of this he was never quite right and really should have been given a medical retirement.

Not an excuse for how he behaved, but there is usually something underneath that causes behavior like this.

C4

If this is the case, then there is a serious failure of leadership and many positions at the Canton PD need to open up...

nickdrak
08-26-11, 18:17
To reiterate my thoughts on this officer's actions shown in the videos which were edited out due to the this thread being cleaned up....

Indeed this officer has some serious issues and shouldnt be on the street. His actions put himself and his fellow officers at risk. His tactics are piss poor and are a sure way to get himself or someone else killed during one of his stops if he/they were to come across a bad guy intent on not going to jail.

That said, I certainly hope that no legitimate pro 2nd Amendment group out there is using the stops/circumstances shown in these videos as a standard to claim that police are infringing upon law abiding citizens 2nd amendment rights.

Suwannee Tim
08-26-11, 18:30
Other than run his mouth, what crime has the officer committed? This is nothing but bluster, an extreme case but bluster nevertheless.

Sry0fcr
08-26-11, 18:37

C4

Quoted because it makes 100% sense.

Irish
08-26-11, 18:43
Other than run his mouth, what crime has the officer committed? This is nothing but bluster, an extreme case but bluster nevertheless.

Terroristic threats come to mind, speaking of all incidents not just this one. Also Color of Law violations as was previously stated in this thread. http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/civilrights/federal-statutes and http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/civilrights/color_of_law

I'm unsubscribing from this thread. If you've followed the first incident that was reported along with the 2 other videos that have been uncovered than there really isn't much to talk about in my opinion. The officer in question is an embarassment to his community, his uniform, his badge and the profession of community policing and he deserves to be in jail.