PDA

View Full Version : C7 UPPER ON XM CLONE

elia.jon1
07-29-11, 10:13
I'M TOSSING UP THE IDEA OF GETTING A F/A A1 UPPER FOR THIS CLONE BUILD BUT I'M A LEFTY. I HAVE A C7 I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE WHO SHOOTS FROM "THE WRONG SIDE" WHO HAS PUT TRIGGER TIME ON A1 UPPERS COULD CHIME IN

THANKS
JON

elia.jon1
07-29-11, 13:38
SO NO LEFTYS HAVE SPENT TIME ON AN A1 I WANT TO FIND OUT IF IT WILL TOSS BRASS IN MY FACE OR IF I SHOULD GO WITH " NOT CORRECT" UPPER FOR MY FACE'S SAKE

***sorry about the caps i am at work and i forgot to turn off caps lock. we run it on all the time****

mini4m3
07-29-11, 20:44
You should be fine....

I'm not left handed but have a couple friends who are. They never complained and there has never been an issue with any of my A1s (or earlier) rifles.

ccosby
07-29-11, 21:02
As a lefty I'd personally use the c7 upper with the brass deflector. Generally you should be fine but for the few rounds that it will help it will be nice.

Dump1567
07-30-11, 21:11
As a lefty I'd personally use the c7 upper with the brass deflector.

This.
I hated shooting my retro's without a brass deflector. IIRC, it was especially annoying during rapid fire.

Brownells sells a brass deflector, but mine managed to deflect hot brass onto my arm.

For me, the C7 is the only way to go.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=18554/Product/BRASS_DEFLECTOR

http://spinstage.http.internapcdn.net/Spinstage/userdocs/products/p_100001133_1.jpg

b_rogers
08-09-11, 14:22
Im a lefty, so far none had hit me on my slicksides.

Buy a extra ejector spring and if you catch a case in the face, remove a few coils of the spring. Or get a deflector like the above poster suggested.

Brent

Ross
08-10-11, 00:49
I would go with the C7 upper. I've seen a couple southpaws dance around with hot brass in their shirts. My lefty son hasn't had a problem, but why bother with a non-deflector upper when the deflector upper is available if you're left-handed? The technology is there, I'd recommend using it.

If you're really a stickler for authenticity or something, then go retro and try it, and then buy a brass deflector if you need it.

sdacbob
08-10-11, 11:06
I'm a lefty. When I fired a M16A1 (full stock) the brass would hit me in the face unless I used one of the Army's clip-on brass deflectors. When I fired my Colt SP1 Sporter (CAR 15 type) the brass didn't hit me. Must have been the difference in the stock length.

BUBBAGUNS
02-04-12, 09:29
All the orgianal M-16s (marked AR-15 on the receivers) I have shot, had been rebuilt by Crane with the C-7 style of uppers on them. I say build it with the C-7 upper.

sdacbob
02-04-12, 10:12
If you're using a collaspible stock you should be ok but if you use a rifle stock you will need one of the brass deflecters.

savage
03-25-12, 23:53
All the orgianal M-16s (marked AR-15 on the receivers) I have shot, had been rebuilt by Crane with the C-7 style of uppers on them. I say build it with the C-7 upper.

^ same. I shoot south paw and just removed my colt slicky and installed a C7 on my 603 m16a1 clone. I had a Bushmaster XM177E2s that came with the C7 installed at the factory, saves the brass from clipping my right ear muff and eye.