PDA

View Full Version : Noveske 6.8 upper or SCAR 17 for work?

gamewarden
07-29-11, 15:02
Still contemplating keeping this...however i'm also working on a SCAR 17. I get 7.62 ammo issued for my M14. I just can't have both... I realize6.8 has potential as a great all around LE round, however all the LEO's around me either have 5.56 or 7.62 so I think it would be smart to use the same for access to ammo when needed. 6.8 isn't used by anybody in the area. But I don't want to continue to carry a rifle that is over 40" long in my squad anymore...can't get it out let alone fire it while seated!

thanks,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=243552227

iveschrhis
07-29-11, 16:05
I'd suggest a few questions for you to think about:
What are your requirements for range?
Penetration?
Accuracy?
You mention ready availability of 7.62x51 but does the free/issue ammo meet your requirements for range/penetration/accuracy?
What manual of arms are you most familiar with, ARs or other?
Who will buy your magazines?

I don't have an operational requirement any longer (retired military) other than as a citizen but I have gone down the 7.62x51 road lately with a PredatAR. I went down the 6.8 road several years ago with a Noveske and an AR Performance.

The rifle and uppers are all accurate and share the same manual of arms.

I have different optics on them based on my idea of what I want each to do (respectively a Nightforce 2.5-10X, a Trijicon TR21, and an Aimpoint M4S with a magnifier in a Larue flip-over mount. I think I'm pretty well covered from DC to daylight.

Good luck.

VooDoo6Actual
07-29-11, 17:29
imo, the SCAR 17 would be the better choice given the criteria & situation you described.

TXBob
07-29-11, 18:07
imo, the SCAR 17 would be the better choice given the criteria & situation you described.

With all due respect, could you elaborate provide some details--I'm not disagreeing, I'd like to know what your thinking was so I can be educated.

I'm guessing its ammo?

Littlelebowski
07-29-11, 18:17
That's a high speed low drag game warden.

VooDoo6Actual
07-29-11, 21:31
With all due respect, could you elaborate provide some details--I'm not disagreeing, I'd like to know what your thinking was so I can be educated.

I'm guessing its ammo?

Sure TXBob,

Ubiquitous utility of ammo, fellow Game Warden's / LEO response to active shooter / first responder scenario, back up etc.

FWIW,
I like both my 6.8's as well.

gamewarden
08-01-11, 20:53
Thanks for the comments. My one hangup against an AR10/SR25 style rifle is the length. I want something I can easily maneuver around the cab of my truck if need be. I know its not ideal to fire the SCAR 17 with the stock folded but it makes it possible/easier to fire within the truck.

As far as caliber, 6.8 is out just because no other LEO around has it. 5.56 is a maybe, plenty LEO's around have it however, i'm not issued it and as a warden we shoot a lot of animals (mostly whitetail) and i like 7.62x51 for that. 7.62 is the ammo i'm issued, just couldn't find a system compact enough and light enough for my liking. Don't get me wrong I love shooting my M14...its just not very practical IMO.

thanks again,

I think I will continue with my SCAR 17 plan...