PDA

View Full Version : Should I stay away from the FNX?

SpookyPistolero
07-29-11, 16:01
Howdy-

I've been handling a few FN X9's in a local shop. I like the overall 'feel', and I like that it can be carried C&L. The DA was fairly poor; quite long and almost difficult to finish off at the end of the pull.

All my pistols are bought with the possibility of being carry/house/defensive guns. But honestly I am looking for a new toy to play with, too. That said, I do not want to get involved with something unreliable.

I've been doing some research and found several reports of failures when the FNX gets hot. I'd dismiss the claim if it weren't so consistent and seemingly frequent. Reports suggest that once hot, the DA trigger pull will not release the hammer when pulled all the way back (or it only releases the hammer once the trigger is released). Sometimes this involves the SA trigger, sometimes not.

So! Should I just stay away from the FNX all together? Are newer production models improved? A gamble?

Thoughts are welcome...

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-29-11, 20:55
I have been running one for the last few months. I have run over 1000 rounds of various ammo without a single drop of oil. The gun has munched every common weight of bullet and shape of hollowpoint.

SpookyPistolero
07-29-11, 21:24
I have been running one for the last few months. I have run over 1000 rounds of various ammo without a single drop of oil. The gun has munched every common weight of bullet and shape of hollowpoint.

That's a good endorsement. Is it... 'feasible' to run the FNX C&L all the time? I try to stay away from da/sa when I can.

ccrn_csc
07-29-11, 21:47
I carried an FNP Condition 1 for a while because I hated the DA trigger. Very reliable and ate up everything. I'd like to hope the FNX is as good if not better.

Good luck. I dont think you could go wrong with an FN product.

aaron_c
07-29-11, 22:28
I have the FNX-9 and love it. I think that people very much exaggerate the failure when the select few got too hot- even on the FN boards, there were only a small handful and it seemed pretty isolated. FNH also fixed them for free. Some of them who complained of it on the FN boards I still question, as they appeared to sign up only do voice that complaint, and then some even 'sold their FNX' after FN fixed it for them free of charge because they were just so disgruntled with the piece of junk. For the record, at around 500 rounds if I had to guess, my FNX has had one FTE. That was a Fiocci round that made a weird 'thuddish' noise when it was fired, and the casing stovepiped.

Mine, on the other hand, runs SILKY smooth. I absolutely love it. And, I can definitely say there is a far smaller percentage of failures than guns like the Gen4 Glocks are having/had when they were new. The fix for the issue with the FNX is apparently really simple, so I'm sure it's being implemented in the factory now and probably has been for a while. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from FNH.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l13/aaron_c_2006/WX150pics001.jpg

jmreagan
07-30-11, 12:08
OP, I have only handled them at the shop and not shot them but.... I hated dry firing the DA trigger. I also hated handling it in mock condition 1. When swiping the safety in the on and off position, the click didn't feel solid. I'm spoiled with 1911's though. I have M&P's and had Glocks. The FNX didn't feel as good in the hand as the others mentioned. To each its own though. In all fairness you should rent one and put a couple hundred rounds through it to see how it feels and shoots.

ETA:
Also, I seem to remember some threads about the magazines not seating correctly on some FN model pistols recently. If I'm wrong someone will "kindly" correct me on that.

SpookyPistolero
07-30-11, 12:14
OP, I have only handled them at the shop and not shot them but.... I hated dry firing the DA trigger. I also hated handling it in mock condition 1. When swiping the safety in the on and off position, the click didn't feel solid. I'm spoiled with 1911's though. I have M&P's and had Glocks. The FNX didn't feel as good in the hand as the others mentioned. To each its own though. In all fairness you should rent one and put a couple hundred rounds through it to see how it feels and shoots.

ETA:
Also, I seem to remember some threads about the magazines not seating correctly on some FN model pistols recently. If I'm wrong someone will "kindly" correct me on that.

Good advice, forgot to check to see if the local range had one for rent. I wonder if those mag seating problems are related to the fact that FNP mags don't work in a FNX? (From what I read...)

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-30-11, 12:59
I also need to add that I have shot my FNX with the light mounted extensively and it hasn't resulted in the pickyness that some guns are known for.

I tried to reproduce the "heat" problem by leaving my FNX exposed for moure than two hours in direct hot-ass GA sunlight while I shot my rifles. Nothing. I wouldn't worry about it. You can cherry-pick crap from the interenet and drive yourself crazy:

1. Glock Kabooms, slam-fires, brass-in face, POI issues, limp-wristing jams, gen 3s don't work with lights, gen 4s don't work at all.
2. M&P has had about a zillion different firing pins to deal with the breakage issues, some highly respected trainers saying you can't trust S&W QC, etc.
3. HK USP45 compacts used to break firing pins, etc. P7s break their FP bushings, etc.
4. Sigs are just trash now.
5. Berreta locking blocks, etc.

and so on and on forever and ever. The fact is that the FNX is a quality product by a very well-respected, serious manufacurer of weapons. You can trust it.

In terms of the safety, it is excellent. It is true that it doesn't have the exact same tactile feel as the 1911. But only the 1911 feels like a 1911. It works perfectly.

As far as mag seating. The issue is when the gun is brand-new it is difficult to get 17 rounds in the mag (heck 16). If you do he-man the bullets in it is hard to seat. This goes away after two sessions as the springs break-in. Non-issue.

TonyTacoma
07-30-11, 13:07
I've handled it and shot it, I would run one any day. I also own an fnp45 tactical which I love and has been flawless. FN makes good stuff, shoot it, if you like it. Buy it and you'll be happy. Im not saying it will be perfect but if it does have a a problem, FN stands behind their products and will make it right.

Omega Man
07-30-11, 13:07
Good advice, forgot to check to see if the local range had one for rent. I wonder if those mag seating problems are related to the fact that FNP mags don't work in a FNX? (From what I read...)

No, the mag issues are only with the FNX. The mags were redesigned and have to be pushed forward as they are being seated. So unless you make sure to push the mag forward, it might not seat properly.

Beat Trash
07-30-11, 14:15
I wouldn't stay away from the FNX just from internet chatter.

They're functional guns. I have no desire to own one, only because they bring nothing to the table for my needs that my M&P's or older Glock's don't already do.

I feel the best advice given to you so far is to go rent one and put some rounds through it. Many guns feel good in the store, but not so much when firing.

If it works for you, then go for it.

aaron_c
07-30-11, 14:57
Re: the magazine seating issue. Mine had this issue during my first two range trips, which was 100 rounds and 50 rounds, and only had it when loading a full 17-round mag (which are a pain to load when new by the way) with one in the chamber.

Re: the DA trigger pull. I don't hate it, but I definitely don't care for it, either. My issue with mine is this- it feels like 95% of the trigger pull is nice and steady, then it takes a little extra pressure for that last little bit to fire a round. I don't know if that's just mine or not, but after practice, I'm not half bad on the DA shots. The SA trigger pull may be the best of any handgun I've ever fired, but no I haven't fired a 1911 yet.

Now I'm an extremely unbiased person, so here are some things I don't like. It feels less comfortable to hold than some guns, like my 24/7 Pro DS and the S&W M&P...that said, it feels MORE comfortable than anything I've shot, to shoot. Personal preference thing- I wish the front of the trigger guard was flat instead of rounded off, so that my weapon light could sit one slot further back. That's really all I can think of at the moment, but I'll keep thinking.

Here's a great thread to read through: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83282