PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a tactical sniper???

kymudder08
07-29-11, 17:10
So ive got my ar pretty much built and now I'm bored lol. Now it's time to start on a tactical bolt gun. I have a 10 year old savage model 111 .270 but am thinking about selling it and buying something else. What would be a good rifle for around $700 without scope? What caliber? Scope suggestion for around $4-500?

Looks like a Remington model 700 of some sort chambered in .308win is pretty popular with alot of people. Scopes seem to go all over the place.

My friend is curious on this subject too. He's looking at a 700 vtr .308 in digi camo and a millett scope. Good choice or no?

Thanks for the help guys, helped me out alot on the ar so figured this would be good for bolt gun help too!!

Stumanbmx
07-29-11, 20:37
Remington SPS Tactical AAC-SD.

Used Leupold Mark 4.

orkan
07-29-11, 21:27
Whatever you get, go shoot it until you know what you want out of a rifle.

Then come back and ask specific questions.

The current trend of asking for advice without ever mentioning what you want to do with it, and at what ranges... is disturbing.

Not to come down to hard on you, but think of it. This is like asking someone what kind of vehicle you should buy, not knowing whether you are going to be commuting 80 miles every day, or if you plan to take it mudding. You follow?

If you want valuable and thoughtful answers, you must ask pointed and specific questions and provide enough information as to your intended use to give the would be answerer's SOME clue as to your intentions.

kymudder08
07-29-11, 21:37
Thanks to the first guy. And to the second, I figured the words "tactical sniper" would be a good enough description of what it would be used for and at what ranges... Not that my targets would be people unless SHTF but that's what it would be used for. I mean what did tactical sniper imply to you? And how far does a sniper shoot with a .308 bolt gun? Usually within 800 meters correct?

Alaskapopo
07-29-11, 22:03
The word tactical gets way over used these days. Tactical means the application of tactics. There is no reason to call a sniper a tactical sniper.
Pat

cheaptrick
07-30-11, 05:43
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50716.aspx

http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-ss-39x42-review-by-mike-miller_topic23715.html

austinN4
07-30-11, 05:51
Remington SPS Tactical AAC-SD.

This is an excellent choice for the money.

Also, consider one of Mel's builds at Sniper Central:
http://www.snipercentral.com/scriflepackagedetails.phtml?packageid=1

http://www.snipercentral.com/scriflepackagedetails.phtml?packageid=2

QuietShootr
07-30-11, 08:44
Thanks to the first guy. And to the second, I figured the words "tactical sniper" would be a good enough description of what it would be used for and at what ranges... Not that my targets would be people unless SHTF but that's what it would be used for. I mean what did tactical sniper imply to you? And how far does a sniper shoot with a .308 bolt gun? Usually within 800 meters correct?

I would say if you don't know the answers to those questions already, what you are looking for is a bolt-action for precision target shooting. Start from that premise and go forward.

Words mean things around here.

kymudder08
07-30-11, 11:03
Thanks guys. Mels builds look sick! And that ss looks like something worth while. Only thing is I've never used a scope with knobs like that and have yet to understand how they work

orkan
07-30-11, 11:52

"tactical sniper" means you've watched too many movies... and don't have a clue what the hell you are talking about. That's what it means to me. It may mean something else to others.

Your posts are comedic... in the extreme. :lol:

I shoot my 18" barreled 308 to 1200yds. Is that a tactical sniper? lol

orkan
07-30-11, 12:47
First, If you really want to learn the way of the rifle, you are going to have to shoot a lot, and possibly continue to ask questions on forums like this one. The first thing you need to do is change your choice of wording. Snipers are in the military or law enforcement. The rifles they use, are sniper rifles.

Civilians, (you and me) and military personnel or ex-military personnel whom were never snipers (me) call their rifles "rifles" or "precision rifle" or "long range rifle." To call them sniper rifles when not in the use of a sniper is annoying to those whom are snipers. Even most of them have come to call their rifles precision rifles. The anti-gun left, likes to label all bolt action rifles "sniper rifles" attaching us to the movies and all the assassination that takes place in the movies with the evil "sniper rifles."

Telling us what distance you intend to shoot, will allow us to suggest more accurately which cartridges and rifles you should be looking at. The term "tactical sniper" doesn't mean shit to us in that regard. Yardage, that is something that we want to know. 800yds max? Ok, a 308 of any barrel length will work. Longer barrels will get it done with authority, while the shorter barrels not so much.

Optics, well there isn't much available for a "tactical" scope in the $500 range. Although, the word "tactical" in reference to optics holds more water than does a rifle. As most people think tactical in scopes, are thinking exposed turrets, matching reticle/turrets, first focal plane reticle, etc.

Super Sniper's... maybe the uber cheap junk like bsa, ncstar, and barska. If you would save up just a little more money your options would be MUCH improved. For instance, a Vortex Viper PST mil/mil/FFP 4-16x50 would be an excellent choice. Liberty Optics has them for $850. Best deal going in my opinion. Bushnell elite tactical would be a close second choice. Weaver, and a few others have also stepped into the sub-$1000 "tactical" optics arena.

Ask pointed specific questions and we will bend over backwards to answer them for you. Lots of informed opinions here. Lose the video game/hollywood movie verbage and speak in plain english. However, if you just want a "sniper rifle" so you can call it that and be cool among your friends... I'm sure there are plenty of opinions for that here as well. :)

Travis B
07-30-11, 14:08

The words "tactical sniper" implies, to me, that someone has 15 pounds of accessories on his BM AR and now wants a zombie bolt gun to "reach out and touch 'em." Like others, it also implies that you're a wannabe. YMMV.

Are you going to be bench shooting? Crawling around in your paintball ghillie suit?

Have you done any long distance shooting before? If you want to be like a "sniper" then you will have to spend thousands on a set up, even more on optics, then study the art of precision shooting WITH YOUR SPOTTER for a long time before getting behind the trigger.

Do you have a range for 800m? A good enough spotting scope to tell you your distances? Can you call your shots and get good dope? Do you know how temperature, humidity, wind, etc, etc, affects your 800m shots?

cheaptrick
07-30-11, 15:48
Super Sniper's... maybe the uber cheap junk like bsa, ncstar, and barska. If you would save up just a little more money your options would be MUCH improved.

Super Sniper's are the same as BSA, NC STAR, etc.??

orkan
07-30-11, 19:05
uh... no. Where the hell do you see that? It was simply a reference to optics in or under the prices he gave.

You are right though, I should be hurt for mentioning those shit brands in the same sentence as anything else. :bad:

cheaptrick
07-30-11, 19:21
You are right though, I should be hurt for mentioning those shit brands in the same sentence as anything else. :bad:

No shit.

carbinero
07-31-11, 01:32
A more general answer would be: 700 in varmint/police contour. This gives you maybe 6-8 models to choose from, with barrel length being a main question (20 or 26) and factory installed features as the second (stock upgrade, threaded barrel, thread pitch). Of course it's easy to do aftermarket to the 700, and cutting to desired length is $50 or less, so don't let that deter you (unless you want the threaded AAC, which is possibly the best all-around choice).

Get quality bases/rings, like Warne (less $) up to Seekins, Badger, etc. Your call on 1 or 2 piece base. I'm fine with Leupold 2 piece. If you go 1 piece and everyone will tell you $35 EGW, consider they use softer aluminum at that price. They also have "heavy duty" bases for $70 which are more comparable to others in composition. Glass like SWFA SS or Vortex would be my top 2 at that $.

For tactical sniping, I require a spotter on a KAC SR with a short dot, range finding 20x binos, etc. :help: Be sure to update with your decisions :D

ETA: oh, and stay away from the dumb triangle barrels. On the Millet glass, I keep getting tempted on that, too, but am blessed to have said "no" so far. Still saving pennies for Vortex.

kymudder08
07-31-11, 19:14
Only reason I called it a tactical sniper instead of precision rifle is bc to me a precision rifle is an ar spr. And yes I have about a 3000 meter/yard field behind my house so 800 is just fine. And before someone asks if I have permission, no I don't bc it's my land. I shoot alot, at least once a week several hundred rounds a piece on my 1911 and g17 as well as my bcm ar so finding time to shoot and learn the bolt gun wouldn't be an issue. The SS scope someone posted looks like a good buy so that's prolly what I'd end up getting. And I already settled with .308 win so caliber is decided. Now I'll prolly go for a model 700 of some kind now

Travis B
07-31-11, 19:16
Only reason I called it a tactical sniper instead of precision rifle is bc to me a precision rifle is an ar spr. And yes I have about a 3000 meter/yard field behind my house so 800 is just fine. And before someone asks if I have permission, no I don't bc it's my land. I shoot alot, at least once a week several hundred rounds a piece on my 1911 and g17 as well as my bcm ar so finding time to shoot and learn the bolt gun wouldn't be an issue. The SS scope someone posted looks like a good buy so that's prolly what I'd end up getting. And I already settled with .308 win so caliber is decided. Now I'll prolly go for a model 700 of some kind now

That's PROBABLY going to be a great set up. Good luck.

cheaptrick
07-31-11, 19:23
Group:

The OP can go with a 700 SPS .308 and get a aftermarket stock.
Good idea...bad?

arizona98tj
07-31-11, 19:42
I mean what did tactical sniper imply to you? And how far does a sniper shoot with a .308 bolt gun? Usually within 800 meters correct?

It is not uncommon for a urban/city LEO who fills the role of sniper to shoot from 50 to 200 yards. Typically....one of those across the street from another building to take out a hostage taker, etc. In contrast to this, a military sniper could be doing 50 yds out to 1500+ yards.

As was mentioned, using descriptive writing, the first time around, will go a long way in helping others understand what you want without wasted exchanges trying to figure out what you actually meant to say.

FWIW, your Savage being 10 years old is a little long in the tooth, compared to what Savage is putting out today. They might very well be the most accurate out of the box rifle being mass produced today. Certainly worth taking a look at. The 10 series have some nice ones available in a number of various configurations.

orkan
07-31-11, 23:07
Group:

Good idea...bad?

Well, if he goes with the 20" tactical version he'll certainly learn a lot about wind. ;)

I'd go with the AAC model instead. Still learn a lot about wind, but it has a 1:10 twist which handles the heavier pills better, and comes threaded in case the OP want's to use a brake or can at some point. It will still benefit from a re-stock and timney trigger though.

Alaskapopo
07-31-11, 23:20
It is not uncommon for a urban/city LEO who fills the role of sniper to shoot from 50 to 200 yards. Typically....one of those across the street from another building to take out a hostage taker, etc. In contrast to this, a military sniper could be doing 50 yds out to 1500+ yards.

As was mentioned, using descriptive writing, the first time around, will go a long way in helping others understand what you want without wasted exchanges trying to figure out what you actually meant to say.

FWIW, your Savage being 10 years old is a little long in the tooth, compared to what Savage is putting out today. They might very well be the most accurate out of the box rifle being mass produced today. Certainly worth taking a look at. The 10 series have some nice ones available in a number of various configurations.

When I went through my basic leo sniper course in 2007 the number they threw out for the average LEO sniper shot was 55 yards.
Pat

Travis B
08-01-11, 07:37
Group:

Good idea...bad?

That recommendation is VERY vague. What brand stock? Is he bedding the receiver? What about optics? Etc, etc.

carbinero
08-01-11, 11:01
I think unless you have lots of money, it's better to buy MarineTex or Devcon 10110 and bed whatever you got. I would spend more money on glass before a new stock (for the under $1,000 crowd, like myself). And yes I like the 1:10 twist part of the AAC suggestion.

cheaptrick
08-01-11, 11:36
That recommendation is VERY vague. What brand stock? Is he bedding the receiver? What about optics? Etc, etc.

I realize that. I was merely suggesting he get the basic rifle and go from there.
I believe it was you, Sir who thought that "Some kind of .308 Remington 700 with a 3-9x SS" would PROBABLY be a great set up, so your comment was at least as VAGUE as mine is, I would think.

Stock?? Well, there again, I could hardly recommend one kind of stock to someone, who has no clue of what he really wants, or know what he can afford.
AI, McMillian, B&C, etc???

I was just trying to help, as I think you were. Regards.

Littlelebowski
08-01-11, 11:50
How about....."glass, gun, class" recommendations instead of a tangent on bedding?

carbinero
08-01-11, 12:00
If you're thinking an AAC 700 with a $700 budget, there's no room for an aftermarket stock. Likewise calculus applies for $500 glass, assuming a minimum requirement for solid mounting.

longball
08-02-11, 10:43
Thanks guys. Mels builds look sick! And that ss looks like something worth while. Only thing is I've never used a scope with knobs like that and have yet to understand how they work

I posted these videos just before I read this thread. This might be a good start for your search on understanding the functions of whichever optic you choose. Best of luck.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=86153

orkan
08-02-11, 11:26
http://www.primalrights.com/forum/article.php?a=2562

http://www.primalrights.com/forum/article.php?a=2607

Rifle sighting systems part 1 and 2 will help you understand how those turrets work. :)

kymudder08
08-08-11, 19:45
Thanks guys. Does the gun accept magazine kit fromthe factory or do I need to buy an aftermarket stock such as Aic?

maximus83
08-11-11, 14:29
Out of the box the SPS would have to be fitted with an aftermarket mag. There are Remington factory mags but they're generally not reliable. There is the Wyatt system (http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-473/Wyatt's-Outdoor-Detachable-Magazine/Detail) that is used on Les Baer rifles and is available for the 700. But I wouldn't personally trust that for now, I'd lean toward the AI mags as they are the most proven. To be able run AI mags on your 700, if you don't get the AI stock you'll need something aftermarket like a Badger, Surgeon, CDI, Seekins, or other bottom metal add-on to your 700.

However, before you even think about getting a fancy aftermarket stock or bottom metal, I'd focus on just shooting your new rifle a while, and getting good with it. Even with the cheap Hogue stock, it'll shoot sub MOA for most people out of the box, and the AI stock won't improve your practical accuracy that much. Save your money for some good glass.

kymudder08
08-11-11, 15:20
Thanks man, now I understand what the websites meant when they were talking about bottom metal lol. So basically the bdl bottom metal will be removed and replaced with a bottom metal that accepts mags. That makes sense to me now. And all I really plan to do is like u said, just shoot. I'll prolly start off with a cheap ncstar or bushnel scope then prolly upgrade to the swfa scope that was mentioned. If I could afford it of have a leupold mark IV or nightforce but that'd be a while

crossgun
08-11-11, 20:42
Dont do anything until you can afford to do it a little better. Your just waisting your time and money.

GLASS is worth all the money you have to throw at it especially if you can shoot to 800 behind the house. You dont need bottom metal and AICS mags at this point. Hell if its cheaper get something used that you can learn with.

If you want to go the long range route dont be cheap or try to learn it half ass.

Take a class! Take a class! Take a class!

Check out Sean at Vapor Trail Tactical

kymudder08
08-11-11, 21:01
I'm not saying I need bottom metal now, just going over my options. Plus the cheap glass is no big deal bc it'll go on my 22lr or dads .270 after i buy nice glass. And I'd like to get a rifle before deer season bc I'll be hunting with this gun as well. Ik how to shoot a bolt action rifle well In the 200 yard and less range. I'm also a consistent shooter. I would just need to learn how to work a scope with tac knobs

Travis B
08-11-11, 21:05
I'm not saying I need bottom metal now, just going over my options. Plus the cheap glass is no big deal bc it'll go on my 22lr or dads .270 after i buy nice glass. And I'd like to get a rifle before deer season bc I'll be hunting with this gun as well. Ik how to shoot a bolt action rifle well In the 200 yard and less range. I'm also a consistent shooter. I would just need to learn how to work a scope with tac knobs

Could you spell out words? This isn't middle school, it's a place for professional discussions.

Also, listen to the experts and save up for good glass. Use your .270 to train for your "tactical sniper" and when you can afford it, buy good glass; Barska optics would be a horrible waste of money if you want to legitimately consider precision shooting.

carbinero
08-11-11, 21:08
There is no point to trying to learn tac knobs if they don't work right, which is what you are in for, if you buy cheap. You are talking to a bunch of guys who have been there, or who have learned from others who have. Buying cheap detachable mag system, funded by the savings of buying cheap glass, is a recipe for wasted money. You have been warned plenty.

ETA: and you have even been warned again while I was warning!

kymudder08
08-11-11, 21:51
Then I'll just buy a bushnel without tac knobs and use it as a hunting rifle till I get 600 for a scope. I've had a cheap $40 scope on my .270 and .22 for 10 years and no trouble yet so for hunting it's fine. And I never said I'd get cheap bottom metal and mags... Id get a nice cdi kit

crossgun
08-12-11, 05:09
What the hell is it that you have to learn about tac knobs? Allow me to save you the time and money.

The big one on top, in the middle of the scope goes up and down. Like wheels on the bus go round and round. That big tac knob turns lefty and righty. Also clockwise and counter clockwise. Hope that’s not to advanced. The one that should be on the right hand side when you look through the coke bottle turns forward and back.

You shouldn't need any tools to turn them and you should feel some little bumps that go click, click, and clickity click. But don’t worry ,some of the less expensive ones come with high speed stealth clicks that are very very quiet and inconsistent in their spacing to throw off the enemy sniper should he acquire your stick in battle field pick up.

Only other thing you will need is a big Sharpie marker to mark where your zero is on your tac knob. This way after you spin the thing totally around a few times it will act as a clue on how to get back home or to your zero.

You might also want to brush up on your density altitude and wind call.

Now your good to go! Dont forget to press the triger to the rear.

QuietShootr
08-12-11, 06:00
This is embarrassing. Irv, Cleanup on Aisle Six.

kymudder08
08-12-11, 08:14
Alrighty there smartass.. I shoulda explained what I meant when I said learn the tac knobs. If I zero in at 100 yards and I turn the knobs to adjust for distance and windage, idk how to get back to zero without sighting it back in

QuietShootr
08-12-11, 08:23
Alrighty there smartass.. I shoulda explained what I meant when I said learn the tac knobs. If I zero in at 100 yards and I turn the knobs to adjust for distance and windage, idk how to get back to zero without sighting it back in

Jesus H. Christ. PLEASE go back to Arfcom. I'm begging you.

markm
08-12-11, 08:51
Jesus H. Christ. PLEASE go back to Arfcom. I'm begging you.

I'll second that. :eek:

DJK
08-12-11, 10:12

What the hell does "idk" mean?:confused:

ForTehNguyen
08-12-11, 10:36
Once you find zero, you can undo a set screw usually which lets you spin the turret knobs without changing the scope settings. Then for your zero you just turn the turret knobs to 0. Then from there you can do whatever adjustments then at the end of the day you turn the turrets back to 0.

Of course you have to get a scope that has external turrets

militarymoron
08-12-11, 10:57
locking this thread because the OP's original question has been answered. OP - please do a google search, or check out manufacturer's websites for information on how to use tac knobs etc.