PDA

View Full Version : need help with gear choices.

silviacrazed
07-29-11, 21:43
I would like some input from fellow members that have been deployed. My girlfriend's brother is deploying to Afghanistan in December. He is infantry in the Army. He has completed two tours in Iraq and this is his first deployment to Afghanistan. I would like to get him a few new items before he leaves. I was thinking about buying him a new fixed blade knife (have been considering one of the zero tolerance knives) and a new pair of assault gloves (looking at the Oakley ones or the VTAC ones). I would like some real world input from anyone who has been deployed and tried different gear. He has become a good friend and I'd like to equip him with something that will help bring him home safely, as well as giving him something personal that will remind him there are loved ones at home who care about him. Thanks for any advice.

Sent from HTC EVO using taptalk

Dave L.
07-30-11, 09:16
You would be better off posting this in the GD forum (when you can) or the Tactical Gear Forum.

One thing about fixed blade knives, anything over 4" blade in A-stan is just extra weight. Oakley gloves suck; Outdoor Research Overlord (short) are about the best gloves on the market and the price reflects that. ZT knives are great. I currently have Benchmade Nim Cub II (non-serrated) on my kit but it never gets used. My EDC knives over here are Spyderco Native and the Benchmade Griptillian lock blade.

BearClaw Bigsby
07-30-11, 09:32
I enjoy the Mechanix Tactical M-Pact. They are very lightweight and breathable and allow for much more dexterity than the Oakley gloves. I wouldn't get him an expensive knife because chances are it will either get lost or stolen. Is he allowed to wear non standard boots? If so, a nice pair of assault boots (Asolo, Salomon, Kayland) would be a nice gift. Maybe a nice watch like Suunto or High Gear or Under Armour moisture wicking tshirts for those hot summer days.

Pretty much the only things I ever felt the need to buy, that wasn't issued was:
Pouches
Gloves
Boots
Under Armour T-Shirts

Just some Ideas. I wouldn't worry about getting him things that you think will bring him back safely, just get him things that will make his year over there a little easier or more enjoyable. Hell, get him a Kindle loaded up with some good reading, like Green Eyes Black Rifles. That may help him come back alive.

Just some suggestions/ranting.

BcB

silviacrazed
07-30-11, 10:09
Thanks for the replies guys, I will look at what has been recommended so far.

P.S. If a mod sees this and doesn't mind moving it over to the gear section, I would appreciate it (I didn't notice the gear section when I was posting from my phone last night, my apologies).

J8127
07-30-11, 10:28
A nice folding knife will see far more use than a fixed blade. He's probably been issued most of the gear he is going to need, the things that are always great are the care packages full of good food and men's magazines.

Frailer
07-30-11, 10:33
I wouldn't want anyone to buy gloves for me. I have unusually long, thin fingers, and I have to try gloves on before I buy.

FWIW, I'd agree that "comfort" items generally make better deployment gifts than "tactical" items. The Bose headphones my wife bought me prior to my last deployment saw a *lot* of use.

Nevertheless, I can fully understand your desire to give him something that would be more mission-oriented. Have you thought about a gift certificate? You could also tell him what you'd like to do for him and ask him what he wants.

Good luck!

zekus480
07-30-11, 13:36
+1 For the Kindle, it's an awesome peice of equipment. There are several of us over here that use them for medical reference and entertainment. The cover with the LED light incorporated into it has protected mine from a lot of abuse.

Travis B
07-30-11, 22:16
I also love my Mechanix MPact gloves. They come in camo colors so choices are endless.

I don't have combat experience (yet, I go before the OCS Board interview next week, hoping for a 11A spot if available in my class) but with all my shooting, training, etc, it has held up to a lot. My thumbs get a lot of abuse on these gloves and they are reinforced in this area, so no holes yet.

docsherm
07-30-11, 23:04
Oakley gloves suck; Outdoor Research Overlord (short) are about the best gloves on the market and the price reflects that.

The OR Gloves ROCK!!! I would look at getting a very nice folder over a fixed blade knife. The Zero Tolerance knives are very good. I like CRKT. They are great knives and do not cost so much that you are worried about using them hard. I use the Razel Folder over in the Stan on this trip and it is a great knife, very versatile.

Here it is:

http://www.crkt.com/Graham