PDA

View Full Version : Kydex mag holster...

prime226
07-29-11, 22:00
BLUF : mags are stuck in my bravo concealment kydex mag pouches. STUCK I tell you, stuck! Any advice? On getting them out, or on life.

The meat and potatoes:
So I just received my light bearing kydex rig from Bravo Concealment for my sig 226 w/ tlr 1s with accompanying mag "pouches". I feel strange calling them pouches but it makes the most sense. Anyway, I put it all on and went to practice some magazine changes and noticed that one mag was stuck, so I went for the other one. That too was stuck. I double checked the order form and it said that the mag carriers were for sig 226 mags. Then I thought oh well maybe theirs too much tension because of the pancake wings on the mag pouch, loosened it up and nope mags wouldn't budge. I managed to get one loose with my mediocre muscle, made sure it was being inserted properly, put it back in and it's stuck again...

Final thought: I have one final mag, in my weapon and I live in one of those ten round only states... Let's hope 11 or more zombies don't come knocking on my door today...:help:

F-Trooper05
07-29-11, 22:29
Stick them in some boiling water for a quick second and you should be able to manipulate the Kydex.

prime226
07-29-11, 22:33
Tried machine oil. no go. No heat guns, blow dryers in this house. Definitely not baking a kydex holster with a stuck magazine holding live ammo so I gave in and tried hot water from the tap. This actually helped to loosen up the mag pouch. I slide the magazine back in, to the point where I heard the "click"and it would not budge to come out. Hot water again did the trick. So right now I slid my mag in to what I think is just above the "click" or retention point. It's snug enough to stay in when I turn the pouch upside down but loose enough that I'm able to grab the mag out with one hand. Hopefully after a couple range days with this rig the kydex will loosen up. Ironically the holster is absolutely wonderful, lots of retention (determined via the upside down earthquake test) but still a smooth clean draw from the 4 o'clock position.

Hopefully this helps some folks out. I'm a kydex newb and therefore still learning the ways of the wise. Have a great weekend friends.

Animal_Mother556
07-29-11, 22:35
I usually spread butter (land-o-lakes unsalted seems to be the best) on my mags before inserting them in Kydex. It's kind of messy once inserted into the pistol, but it smells great when it heats up.

Seriously...I guess I would contact the company, man.

prime226
07-29-11, 22:35
Thanks F-Trooper 05. I'm going to try that boiling water. I appreciate your advice.