PDA

View Full Version : Fixed v/s Folding FSB

triburst1
07-29-11, 22:35
My go to AR is a 16" DD middy w/ Omega 9.0, EOTech 516 and X300 w/XT07 mounted on the 3:00 rail. The BUIS are an ARMS #40 and a standard FSB.

I've thought seriously about swapping out the FSB for the ARMS #41 folding FSB. This would allow me to move the X300 to the 12:00 rail giving the weapon a slimmer profile, get rid of the barrel shadow at 9:00 and make it easier to shoot use the light over and around cover. The folding sight would also clean up my sight picture with the EOTech although the sight doesn't really interfere with using the optic.

From what I've read, the ARMS 41 seems to be the most solid design available in regards to the folding mechanism. My only real concern is replacing a pinned gas block with a clamp on.

So, will the advanatges likely be worth the swap?

BSWilson
07-29-11, 22:57
Meh, not really.

If you're going to put the light @ 12:00, you might as well pick up a 12" rail and do it right.

Personally, I'd leave well enough alone.

ETA: The barrel shadow from having your light mounted at 9:00 is insignificant.

thehun
07-29-11, 23:19
I prefer fixed sights...one less thing to not worry about not working because of a moving part

GTifosi
07-30-11, 00:14
Have you tried the light on the 12 o'clock rail yet?

I actually did a few hours ago on mine just for amusement and totally unrelated to this thread. Just happened to have a wild hair to tug is all.
Fit good, was out of the way, switch was accessable, and offered absolutely zero visibility through the optic.

Well, unless having a red dot on the back end of a flashlight 2" away is the goal anyway.

Of course the optic could be raised to a height to clear a light housing, but depending on a few variables, it could end up so high as to be relatively worthless in regard to any type of co~witness (lower 3rd or absolute) and would certainly wreck any sort of stockweld available.

BSWilson
07-30-11, 00:54
What light were you using? The SF X300 is remarkably low.

texag
07-30-11, 02:21
What light were you using? The SF X300 is remarkably low.

True. I've had an X300 on the top rail for a couple years now and it leaves a good 4/5 of the front sight post unobstructed.

For the OP: I hope you never need to use your irons and light at the same time. You can get a small rail that attached inside the triangle of the FSB. Should give you most of the benefits of a 12:00 mount while keeping the benefits of a fixed FSB.

mkmckinley
07-30-11, 02:57
Texag makes a good point. If I'm picturing your proposed setup correctly I don't think you'll be able to use the BUIS and light at the same time. Your needs might be different from mine but I've been using an M4 with insights M3X mounted at 3:00 for years and in actual use the shadow is a non issue.

If you want to try mounting at 12:00 you could get one of the rails that leaves a cutout for the standard fixed FSB or get a low-pro gas block and a rail that covers it with a flip up front BUIS. Either that or keep your current setup which happens to be excellent. If the shadow at 9:00 bothers you during actual training you could try moving the light to more of a 1:30 position which moves the shadow lower in your field of viewhttp://www.gearsector.com/browse/category/mounts/flashlight-mounts/. I love my X300 and it's ideal for a 12:00 mount. For a 1:30 offset mount you can further tweak the shadow size by getting a longer, Surefire 6P-size light which places the bulb closer to the muzzle and reduces shadow.

GTifosi
07-30-11, 05:51
Obivously one that is too large for that particular application (Surefire M952XM07 W/P61 lamp) but I was curious and tried anyway to see if it would at least allow the front post to be visible. (carbine KAS RIS w/standard fixed front sight tower)

Not... Even... Close.

As there was no mention of actually trying the 300 on the top rail before seeking info regarding front sight druthers, and coupled with what I've gathered around these parts that rather than assume *cough* its seemingly better to go under the impression that if it wasn't mentioned, described or defined, it didn't happen and so should be asked about for better clarity of response :)

chamber143
07-30-11, 06:13
Just my lowly experience but i thought i didnt want my fixed fsb and took it off for a yhm flip up fsb and absolutly hate the thing. its not that i hate the sight it is the fact that i cant seem to get it perfectly square with rail and its just something i worry about all the time. plus i lost the f fsb and so im stuck. did buy a 14.5 middy and will be leaving that sucker on...to each his own though

Greyman
07-30-11, 20:33

So, will the advanatges likely be worth the swap?

My friend when the batteries die, and your skills shine its with a fixed iron sight. Reliable and justly true when you need it.;)