PDA

View Full Version : RMR vs. MRDS

seb5
07-30-11, 18:42
I've tried a few of the mini RDS but found them lacking as far battery changing, non adjustable brightness and so forth. I'm considering trying one of the newer designs and have been looking at the Trijicon RMR and Insight MRDS. They appear to have fixed some of the issues I had with previous entries. This would be mounted on a Larue mount on an M4 type carbine. Can anyone tell me if there is much to choose between the 2 other than the Trijicon seem harder to find with the 3.5 MOA red dot currently. Thanks in advance.

Brother Rat
07-30-11, 19:28
I've had some serious durability issues with mine and am currently on MRDS number 5. That being said, Insight has taken care of me every time one goes south on me. For what it's worth, they've been mounted to various pistols, and the recurring problem per Insight is a "bad battery contact." My understanding is that others have had much better luck than I have with the MRDS but my experience is contrary to theirs. #2, which was mounted to my M&P9, lasted 1598 rounds, and I had its replacement mounted to an FN FNP45 for ~250 rounds before it gave up the ghost.

seb5
07-30-11, 19:36
Thanks for the reply, that's what I need to know before dropping dollars pretty much equal to an Aimpoint T-1 on one.

Singlestack Wonder
07-30-11, 21:06
For the money, go with an Aimpoint H1 or T1. You won't be sorry.

seb5
07-30-11, 21:57
I've got 3 T-1's already and am notting getting rid of them. I'm just thinking of trying out an MRDS on a project I'm planning.