PDA

View Full Version : .22 plinker pistol

kh86
07-30-11, 21:07
I am looking to get one. $300 give or take. Not a fan of the Ruger's grip angle. Like the S&W 22A. Anyone got one or have reliable info on them? If they are g2g what barrel length is recommended? Not a fan of the 4" version.

Also, looking for a .22 rifle. $300 again. I've found a Henry Survival Rifle locally. Any good or should I go w/a regular stlye .22 semi?

mjgonzo
07-30-11, 21:43
I picked up a 5.5" 22A last year from a guy a work for $200. He said he would have a FTF once or twice every mag. I polished the feed ramp and the slide rails and have had no problems with it. It is by no means a target pistol but it is a fun plinker.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv58/mjgonzo/DSCN1176.jpg

payj
07-30-11, 22:52
Ruger 22/45 (1911 grip angle. not the Mkiii you are most likely thinking of), Browning Buckmark. Those would be what I would narrow it down to.

Rifle: Ruger 10/22 for a semi. Cz 455 for a bolt.

Black Jeep
07-30-11, 23:31
Pistol: Walther P22. It's a fun little gun to shoot. I also like the Ruger 22-45.

Rifle: Ruger 10-22 is a classic as is the Marlin Model 60.

sgtjosh
07-31-11, 00:16
+1 on the 10/22 rifle

I would really like to shoot one of the Walthers.

An Undocumented Worker
07-31-11, 07:40
I finally settled on a Browning Buckmark. Owned a S&W 22a1 and it was an unreliable and frustrating pistol. The slide on it also peened a nice deep gouge in the feed ramp.

I traded it in on a Beretta U22 Neos. I couldn't shoot it accurately, it also had a tendancy to make you bleed when cleaning it, and the cross pin for the rear sight liked to back out of the rail. I don't recall any reliability problems with it, but ultimately the grip was too small for my hands and there were no options available for replacing it.

I traded that in for a Kadet conversion kit for my CZ 75b, the kit is accurate but can be finicky at times, I've won a few 22 pistol league competitions with it, and still have it.

Later on I had the chance to shoot my friends Browning Buckmark and was smitten by it. I searched high and low for months for a buckmark with a rail, but apparently the buckmark market dried up at that time (funny how that works) I finally stumbled across one at a pawn shop, it has wood grips a slab side barrel and no rail. It fit my hand great and I finally bought it a few weeks later. Then put a TacSol rail with integrated rear sight on it.

It has been super reliable, accurate, and has the best trigger I've found on a factory .22 pistol (outside of rediculously expensive competition pistols of course). It also fits my hand better than any other style of .22lr pistol I've run across.
And now that I'm not looking for one I've found em all over the place.:o They also seem to hold their value better than many of the other production .22's out there.

chaotik
07-31-11, 10:41
I have a 22A 5.5 inch barrel, and have over 1000 rounds though it.
It shoots well and has been reliable for the most part. No lead bullets, however. And I clean it after every range visit.

Frailer
07-31-11, 13:24
Since you eliminated the Rugers, I'd cast my vote for the Buckmark.

With regard to the rifle, in addition to the 10/22 I'd also take a look at the Marlin 795. There aren't nearly as many after market accessories available for the latter, but it's a perfectly serviceable rifle, and (with Marlin's current $25 rebate) it's roughly half the price.

FWIW my current "plinker" .22 is a Henry H001T. I went with a lever action rather than a semi largely due to my desire for flexibility with regards to ammo. I shoot a wide variety of .22 rounds, from CBs to shorts to Stingers, so this was the best choice for me.

kh86
07-31-11, 21:13
Thx all for the input. Looks like I can get something decent w/o breaking the bank. Usually these things go "well for a hundred dollars or so more you can get..." :)

Oh, and it was the MK3's grip. Thx payj.

RagweedZulu
07-31-11, 22:30
Another vote for the Ruger 22/45. Love mine. It has been super reliable.

I am also a fan of their 10/22 for a rifle. So many aftermarket upgrades that it'd be crazy not to pick up one of these little guys.

A couple days ago I had the chance to shoot a guy's Walther G22 bull pup rifle in .22. Amazingly accurate and easy to handle. The bull pup design makes it a VERY short rifle.

thopkins22
07-31-11, 22:33
The Ruger pistols and Browning Buckmarks are the most reliable(at least across a broad spectrum of ammunition) that I've seen. The downside of course is that the triggers are going to be different from most non-1911 defensive guns.

skyugo
08-01-11, 00:42
i had a ruger MKII that was basically as reliable as a glock. any ammo... i did put a tool steel extractor in it. before that it was about on par with most 22 automatics. with the good extractor though.. damn.

Vegas
08-01-11, 01:08
I've shot my friends Browning Buckmark that he's had for many years, a very reliable gun and a lot of fun to shoot. I plan on getting one eventually. As for rifle, I just bought a 10/22 this week on the basis of there being more aftermarket replacement parts and upgrades. I considered the Marlin 795 and the Remington 597, both being cheaper but the opportunity to tinker sounded like fun.

PlatoCATM
08-01-11, 08:06
I think .22 pistols vary greatly, maybe due to QC or ammo or a number of other issues. I had a Browning Buckmark that would not feed reliably with any ammo, well lubricated and with several different magazines. I've now put a couple thousand through my Ruger 22/45 and it has been stone cold reliable. If you want something with a less extreme grip angle than the classic Ruger, look at the 22/45. The trigger on the buckmark was definitely crisp and lighter than the Ruger, but in the end I would rather have a reliable pistol.

okie john
08-01-11, 11:03
+1 on the Ruger semi-auto 22 pistol.

I worked on commercial ranges for several years, and Rugers held up about as well as the Glocks. Pop the bolt out and hit it with a toothbrush and Break Free every 1k rounds or so and it'll run forever.

Neglected specimens turn up in pawnshops for under $200 pretty often if you don't mind owning a beater. That would leave enough money in your budget for a Clark trigger, which will spoil you for anything else.

Okie John

glockeyed
08-01-11, 11:13
i prefer the rugers from all that are listed. (excluding the S&W, i have only held one of those.)

but if you stick to a ruger of buckmark, you can use the greatest gun invention in the world.

the "ultimate clip loader"

Team Chuck Norris
08-01-11, 11:49
I have the Ruger 22/45 and I can recommend it. Mine functions extremely well with bulk Federal ammunition.

For the price you are seeking, however, one option would be to get a .22 conversion kit. For the Glock, two seem to be reliable: (1) Advantage Arms

http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AASOS&Category_Code=GLK

and (2) the TSG-22

http://www.tacticalsol.com/tsg22-glock-ad

bnanaphone
08-01-11, 11:58
My sample of 1 S&W 22A with 5.5" bull barrel and laminate wood grip has been great.
Not mine but identical, with far less wear.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/detail_md/107431_01_md.jpg

It has held up for the past 13 years and ~3,000 rounds of cheap bulk ammo. I have had my share of FTF and FTE (casings stuck between barrel and slide) and I attribute that to a dirty gun, but could be other things. It has eaten up a few buffers but one call to S&W will get you a few sent in the mail quickly.

Accuracy has been all I could expect out to 25 yards (1" or less), my maximum attempt to date (no proof, just dead cans and squirrels). I just have a cheapo $50 red dot on it and it works great. Gun is also really easy to break down for cleaning and reassembly with the push of a button.

My brother has a buckmark and that is nice too. It has far fewer rounds through it and I don't think it had many/any issues with ammo. The best part is that if you get a Ruger or Buckmark, you can get a new barrel assembly from Tac Sol in various lengths and ready for a suppressor.

jamaicanj
08-01-11, 13:46
If you happen to own a Glock, then pick up an Advantage Arms conv kit for $300. I have one and I love it.

Noodle
08-01-11, 14:05
Another vote for the P22. I have the 5" target version and it has been flawless.

levi333
08-01-11, 18:07
I'm a big fan of the GSG1911. Picked it up for just under $300, thread adapter for another $35.

It runs great with bulk pack plated Federal, suppressed or not.
No issues in approx 4k rounds.

goneshootin88
08-01-11, 18:15
but if you stick to a ruger of buckmark, you can use the greatest gun invention in the world.

the "ultimate clip loader"

The "Ultimate clip loader" is the best/worst invention in the world. It feeds the mags so fast that you burn through ammo like it is nothing. The girlfriend and I both ran through 3- 325rd boxes of federal automatch a piece a few weekends ago. We both have Mark 2's (mine is a MK 2 22/45) that run very well. I have a Pac-lite upper on mine that makes it weigh next to nothing. If you have any intention on putting a threaded upper on the gun you may want to go with the Buckmark because on the Rugers, the upper has the serial number so it is the firearm. On the Buckmarks the serial number is somewhere on the frame.

glockeyed
08-01-11, 20:11
The "Ultimate clip loader" is the best/worst invention in the world. It feeds the mags so fast that you burn through ammo like it is nothing. The girlfriend and I both ran through 3- 325rd boxes of federal automatch a piece a few weekends ago. We both have Mark 2's (mine is a MK 2 22/45) that run very well. I have a Pac-lite upper on mine that makes it weigh next to nothing. If you have any intention on putting a threaded upper on the gun you may want to go with the Buckmark because on the Rugers, the upper has the serial number so it is the firearm. On the Buckmarks the serial number is somewhere on the frame.

lol isn't that the truth.

i hate it because i want one for every gun

QuietShootr
08-01-11, 20:17
I am looking to get one. $300 give or take. Not a fan of the Ruger's grip angle. Like the S&W 22A. Anyone got one or have reliable info on them? If they are g2g what barrel length is recommended? Not a fan of the 4" version.

Also, looking for a .22 rifle. $300 again. I've found a Henry Survival Rifle locally. Any good or should I go w/a regular stlye .22 semi?

I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but I just got an Advantage Arms G17 .22 conversion, and that thing is just neater than hell. So far, 100% reliable, and as accurate as I am.

Wildcat
08-02-11, 22:58
I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but I just got an Advantage Arms G17 .22 conversion, and that thing is just neater than hell. So far, 100% reliable, and as accurate as I am.

100%?!
What are you feeding it?

Seraph
08-02-11, 23:47
I can recommend the Browning Buckmark Camper. Mine has exhibited outstanding accuracy, even with cheap fodder. The trigger was gritty when I first bought it. I took it apart, and found that there was a LOT of factory/warehouse grit inside. With that cleaned out, the trigger action was much smoother, and it has broken in very nicely, such that I've abandoned the impulse to do any tweaking. I'm going to have to get another one to dink around with (Tactical Solutions parts, you know). This one's gotta stay just the way it is. I shoot it a little bit every time I go to the range.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/Buckmark_01.jpg

QuietShootr
08-03-11, 10:19
100%?!
What are you feeding it?

Remington Golden Bullet value pack, which is what the instruction manual says to use. It also cycled with CCI Standard Velocity and subsonics, as well as (not recommended) Winchester HV.

DocH
08-03-11, 11:38
I can recommend the Browning Buckmark Camper. Mine has exhibited outstanding accuracy, even with cheap fodder. The trigger was gritty when I first bought it. I took it apart, and found that there was a LOT of factory/warehouse grit inside. With that cleaned out, the trigger action was much smoother, and it has broken in very nicely, such that I've abandoned the impulse to do any tweaking. I'm going to have to get another one to dink around with (Tactical Solutions parts, you know). This one's gotta stay just the way it is. I shoot it a little bit every time I go to the range.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/Buckmark_01.jpg Really sweet looking Buckmark,Seraph.

Wildcat
08-03-11, 21:42
Remington Golden Bullet value pack, which is what the instruction manual says to use. It also cycled with CCI Standard Velocity and subsonics, as well as (not recommended) Winchester HV.

Glad that's working so well for you. I've not known Remington rimfire ammunition to be 100% in any pistol.

Lost River
08-04-11, 08:59
Since Ruger MkIIs are not an option for you, another consideration from the used market is the Colt Woodsman and Huntsman series.

Mine are old and very well worn but are excellent trail guns and plinkers. CDNN has mags for $19.99.

They have narrow profile a truly excellent balance that once most pick one up, they really like them. Highly underated pistols.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/012-4.jpg

Lost River
08-04-11, 09:10
I do not know if you are a 1911 person or not, but the Marvel conversions are exceptionally accurate. Mine came with a test target at 50 yards that was in the .81s :

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/042.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/0082.jpg

It may be a bit over budget, but worthy of consideration if you have already invested in a good 1911.

Kool Aid
08-04-11, 09:15
Browning Buck Mark. Excellent trigger, great ergonomics, easy to clean and extremely accurate. Mine made it through the 2,000 round test with only one ammo-related missfire.

Lost River
08-04-11, 09:21
In regards to rifles, a rifle that I have found to be a true bargain is the Marlin 795. I bought two. One I scoped, one I put a set of Tech sights, which are similar to M14 iron sights on for practice. Both are amazingly accurate.

I have a custom barreled 10-22 and a CZ bolt gun that are both good shooters and these $100 Marlins shoot about as well as the guns that cost 5x as much.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/013-4.jpg

Tech sights

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/021-1.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/022-1.jpg

Lost River
08-04-11, 09:23
The sights made a worls of differencein regards to iron sight shooting accuracy.

For an inexpensive plinker, for the person who shoots ARs, they make sense. They are also a super light rifle.

Side profile.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/023-1.jpg