PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in mid-late 50's S&W model 29

rjacobs
07-31-11, 09:05
I am looking at a mid-late 50's S&W model 29 that has been sitting in a drawer for the past 35 years(this is all according to the guy selling it). He says its in good shape with a few minor blemishes from sitting in said drawer. The pictures show it to be in pretty good shape as well.

What specifically should I be looking at on a gun of this vintage(and this model)? I dont know much about wheel guns, especially older ones and I just want to make sure everything is legit and in good working order(will probably have a smith go over the gun after I get it anyway).

Thirdly, the gun is located in Houston, TX and I am in St. Louis. Are there any good shops(or individuals) down there somebody could recommend to take a peak at the gun before I send my hard earned money down range.

okie john
07-31-11, 19:46
That sounds like a nice old Smith 44. Aside from the typical issues with a used revolver, lot of variables can affect the price of a vintage Model 29.

Early Model 29's weren't heat-treated the way Smiths are today and they don't have the Endurance package that's current on N-frames. If it was shot a bunch with hot loads it may need a tune-up to be usable again. If I owned it, I'd feed it cast bullets no heavier than 240 grains and move them no faster than 1,200 fps.

The biggest variable in terms of value is barrel length. 4", 6 1/2" and 8 3/8" were standard, but anything is possible with Smith, and they built plenty of Model 29's on special order. They were a curiosity back then, often built custom for people with lots of money, and they've been documented with barrels of 3.5", 5", and 7 1/2". I've even seen pictures of one with fixed sights.

The next most important variables are whether it has an "S" prefix serial number, followed by the type and condition of the grips, then whether it has the presentation case and tools, and which variations those are. That stuff can affect price dramatically for collectors.

Send me a PM if you have more questions.

Okie John