PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P 15 VTAC hand-guard off center?

Barnaby
07-31-11, 09:57
I have this exact problem.
VTAC hand-guard and barrel not lining up? (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=790259#post790259)

My offset is 14.8 MM on the right side and 16.8 MM on the left side.

This causes a bunch of windage adjustment with my BUIS. I have the one piece tube with a rail mounted front sight.

Should I contact S&W and have them attempt to correct this? Can this be corrected? Or is this the best I can get from this system?

I had planned on running an Aimpoint T1 with a 1/3 co-witness. I've read that the iron sights should stay up for instant use if needed. Would this be an awkward setup with so much windage on the rear sight?

Thanks,

An Undocumented Worker
07-31-11, 14:39
Which rail? the troy style tube, or the jp style tube?

If you are using the JP style Vtac tube you can position the top rail piece to one side or the other before you tighten the screws to counteract any offset.

I've got a M&P15 VTac with the JP style tubular forend and that is what I did for my buis, and yes there is approximately a 2mm offset to one side or the other, Smith has seen it and apparently it just seems to be the nature of the beast. After 2500+ rounds down the pipe It hasn't caused any issues

Barnaby
08-01-11, 07:35
Which rail? the troy style tube, or the jp style tube?

If you are using the JP style Vtac tube you can position the top rail piece to one side or the other before you tighten the screws to counteract any offset.

I've got a M&P15 VTac with the JP style tubular forend and that is what I did for my buis, and yes there is approximately a 2mm offset to one side or the other, Smith has seen it and apparently it just seems to be the nature of the beast. After 2500+ rounds down the pipe It hasn't caused any issues

It is the JP style VTAC tube. I've moved the top rail piece to compensate, thanks. I may need to file the rail a bit to achieve more correction.

Any more info this being the 'nature of the beast'. I'd think that a consistent 2 mm off-set would be something that could be corrected.

An Undocumented Worker
08-01-11, 17:46
If you reread the thread you posted the link to, you'll find I covered this issue in more detail.

Barnaby
08-01-11, 23:31
Thanks, I didn't build this AR and don't have the expertise or tools to take it apart and correct stuff. Bought it in one piece from S&W and was asking if I should just live with it.. or contact S&W.

I'm gonna move the front sight back, mount a light forward of it. Live with the off-set and shoot the damn thing.

Thanks again.