PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather have.... (fun poll)

Shiz
07-31-11, 15:19
A BFH carbine (7inch gas system) CL or a standard 4150 midlength CL(9 inch GS) If you had to choose between the two.

Brand doesn't matter, say its BCM.

And...WHY?

Inuvik
07-31-11, 17:31
The hand position gained by having a middy is a way bigger advantage than the possible accuracy or longer lifespan of the CHF barrel for me. I would be super stoked to be able to shoot enough to wear out my regular CL barrel.

An Undocumented Worker
07-31-11, 18:07
Why choose between the two when you can have exactly what you want? Sounds like you want hammer forged and a middy.

seb5
07-31-11, 18:38
With the exception of my SBR, all my carbines are mid lengths. 2 14.5's, 1 14.7, and 2 16'S. The rail space is not a big deal to me as only one of my carbines had a fixed front site base. I bought into the middie's years ago and just prefer them. The only finicky one I have is a 14.5 with a smaller gas port I believe that needs an "H" with 5.56 and a standard buffer with weak ammo. Other than that one, they are all well proven over the years. FWIW my finicky carbine will occasionally (1 or 2 per 500 rounds) fil to lock back if the above mentioned buffers are not used. I just shoot 5.56 in it and don't look back. With 5.56 it's as reliable as any of the others and is my favorite go to carbine. They appear to be a little softer shooting but that's not a big deal to me. I just like them. I may build a carbine gassed gun in the future but am happy with my current crop of paper punchers.

saddlerocker
07-31-11, 20:43
Midlength just makes more sense to me for alot of reasons.
And CHF is a luxury imo, majority of people will never see the benefit of hammer forged

crusader377
07-31-11, 21:25
For me I voted the opposite of most here. I opted for the carbine with the CHF barrel. I would rather opt for the better barrel over the midlength gas system because I have fired middy's several times and was not able to detect much difference in recoil between the carbine and midlength gas system. Myself I would rather get the carbine with the better barrel. That said, why not get the best of both and get a CHF with a midlength gas system.

boomhower
07-31-11, 21:41
The midlength for me. I like fixed front posts and would rather have the extended length that a barrel that I can't afford enough ammo to make use of the extended life in any reasonable amount of time.

jet80tv
07-31-11, 22:00
I had a carbine length YHM barrel that was 4140 and no malfunctions, I now have a carbine length gp DD CHF M4 barrel;) and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! and through few rnds to this point(just recently installed) no malfunctions do to carbine gp, I like the carbine gp

nimdabew
07-31-11, 23:18
I saw this on ADCO and thought it was probably the best explanation about barrels I could think of, and it was already typed out.

A cheap barrel with good ammo, will out shoot a good barrel with cheap ammo every time

The trigger puller is the most important factor.

What "wears out" a barrel?

Number 1 - improper cleaning
Number 2 - throat erosion

Number 1 can be taken care of by cleaning from the breech out, and use of a coated cleaning rod.

Number 2 - happens every time you pull the trigger, and the higher the round count the more longer range accuracy degrades. A chrome chamber will slow this down, but the throat area is still burning away with each shot. In CMP competition shooting, a "worn out" barrel will no longer group well at 600yds between 5-6000rds. That same barrel will still shoot MOA at 300yds for 2000more rounds, and MOA at 100yds, for another 10,000rds. As a barrel wears, the longer range accuracy drops off. If you don't do much shooting beyond 300yds, it will take a long time to notice any degradation in performance.

The chrome lining in barrels doesn't know if its over CHF barrel, CM-V, or 4140 or any other barrel steel. In regards to rifling, the chrome lining in the bore/lands and grooves doesnt wear out either. You will never end up with a smooth bore from shooting too much. So if you think you are getting any measurable extended life with "thicker chrome", think again.

Just get whatever brand name barrel you want and you cant go wrong. You'll never know the difference between a 4140 RRA barrel and a uber expensive CHF barrel.

How long will an average AR barrel last?

Having a good view of the "average" gun owner, here is how I do the math:

If you are getting 1K rounds for $350, you are probably buying some steel cased crap. Most serious shooters, who shoot a lot/train, don't shoot that crap so figure at least $400 per K.

If you want to be realistic, 99% of ARs sold will never shoot 1K rounds in the owners lifetime, so why "barrel life" comes up so often is another puzzle. I consider myself a high round count, serious shooter and I shoot about 300rds a month. When practicing/training real drills, and marksmenship, 300rds goes a long way.

So lets say I shoot 3600 rounds a year, at a cost of $1440.00, or $120 a month. I'm sure I can get 20K rounds out of my barrels, so I'm replacing my barrel every 5 years at after spending $7200 on ammo.

If my training ammo wasn't a business expense, there is no way I would be able to afford $120 a month out of my living budget for shooting.

Id say the average AR owner shoots 300 rounds a year max, of which 75% of that shooting is done under 100yds. So basically the average AR owner, with 1 AR, will spend a lifetime to "wear out" his barrel.

- Steve

http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/Barrel_Thoughts.cfm

Shiz
08-01-11, 09:06
If you are getting 1K rounds for $350

probably meant 250?, or during obamascare 2008.

One of the reasons I have asked is, at times, some of the uppers I have wanted from BCM(standard middy)have been sold out, and I saw some BFH carbines that appealed to me.

Another reason, With PSA getting into the mix, they don't offer a middy BFH in middy yet, but have one available in carbine.

ra2bach
08-01-11, 12:44
with 16" barrel, I would get a midlength/9", regardless of the material. in 14.5", I would get carbine/7" gas. cold hammer forged or standard, is your call with discussions on both sides.

decide if your use warrants the increased price of the BHF, or choose the available options depending on your need/impatience...