PDA

View Full Version : Movies that could never be remade today...

Slater
07-31-11, 16:24
Some of you younger folks probably don't remember "Blazing Saddles". This was back when society could laugh at itself without taking offense (too much, anyway). How things have changed in the span of a few decades. A classic scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upvZdVK913I

variablebinary
07-31-11, 16:51
That is exactly the movie I was thinking when I saw this thread title.

ssracer
07-31-11, 17:01
That will always be one of my all time favorite movies.

LHS
07-31-11, 17:34
That is exactly the movie I was thinking when I saw this thread title.

Same here, too. Only Mel Brooks could have done it then. Now... I don't think even he could get away with it. Interestingly, the sheriff's part was apparently written for Richard Pryor, but the studio refused to greenlight it.

ucrt
07-31-11, 17:35

Last year a local Gun Shop had the Weaver Rep with their demo trailer setup. The rep was 26-27 and knew very little about Weaver. I started jacking with him and asked him if he knew who Weaver's most famous national rep was? He didn't, I told him it was Slim Pickens, the movie star and he said he never saw or heard of him.

I asked him if he ever saw Blazing Saddles and laughing he said he had. I asked him if he remembered the "farting around the campfire" scene where the old cowboy foreman came up to the campfire fanning himself to get some good air? He remembered that and I told him that was Slim Pickens.

LINK to that scene. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs)

I agree, they'll never remake that movie. Good ol' Mel Brooks insulted every race and ethnicity.

But maybe it's just me...

LHS
07-31-11, 17:37
Twelve is my limit on schnitzengruben, baby.

GermanSynergy
07-31-11, 18:27
It's a Wonderful Life. Would have to be made uber PC today.

SteveL
07-31-11, 18:56
Blazing Saddles is one of my all time favorites. I can't even stand to watch it on TV because it's so heavily edited. Usually after trying to watch 5 or 10 minutes of it on TV I end up putting the blu-ray in and watching it the way it's supposed to be.

I also feel someone should mention Walt Disney's Song of the South. If you're lucky you might be able to find an old worn out copy on VHS. I think I still have a VHS player in a closet.....

Heavy Metal
07-31-11, 19:00
Blazine Saddles was the first thing that came to mind too.

07-31-11, 19:56
I also feel someone should mention Walt Disney's Song of the South. If you're lucky you might be able to find an old worn out copy on VHS. I think I still have a VHS player in a closet.....

Thanks Steve! You reminded me I had been on a quest to get a copy. Two minutes of searching and I now have a DVD on the way. I plan on acquiring a nice DVD collection for our nine month old daughter, and future kids, since TV these days is full of sex, violence, drugs, and morals that I do not share. I've spent a ton on Mr. Rogers videos.:) Hell, I need to buy stock in the company that produces the Baby Einstein vids. Little Rascals, anyone? Three Stooges?

Back to the OP's original thought. PC has killed much of what I grew up with.

ucrt
07-31-11, 21:00
...I plan on acquiring a nice DVD collection for our nine month old daughter, and future kids, since TV these days is full of sex, violence, drugs, and morals that I do not share. ...

=================================

Be sure to get her (them) Princess Bride and the Goonies for when they are a little older.
Old radio programs are great too. Makes them use their imagination.

polymorpheous
07-31-11, 21:17
Kentucky Fried Movie.

SteveL
07-31-11, 21:20
Thanks Steve! You reminded me I had been on a quest to get a copy. Two minutes of searching and I now have a DVD on the way. I plan on acquiring a nice DVD collection for our nine month old daughter, and future kids, since TV these days is full of sex, violence, drugs, and morals that I do not share. I've spent a ton on Mr. Rogers videos.:) Hell, I need to buy stock in the company that produces the Baby Einstein vids. Little Rascals, anyone? Three Stooges?

Back to the OP's original thought. PC has killed much of what I grew up with.

Glad to be helpful. I never searched for it, but I didn't realize Song of the South was ever released on DVD. Good job finding one.

variablebinary
07-31-11, 21:34
=================================

Be sure to get her (them) Princess Bride and the Goonies for when they are a little older.
Old radio programs are great too. Makes them use their imagination.

Actually that kind of film still exists.

I just saw Super 8, and it really reminded me of the Goonies, but then again both were produced by Spielberg

Also, this scene in Blazing Saddles is hysterical to me even to this day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJkHykGRXrw

120mm
07-31-11, 21:53
Kentucky Fried Movie.

Def my #2.

Especially the "Thrill Seekers" vignette...

Or maybe "Cleopatra Jones".

ssracer
07-31-11, 22:55

I love netflix....I've actually got my 4 year old into the cartoons I grew up with like He-Man....Back when every episode of a show taught some sort of life lesson and explained it at the end.

He even likes the old school super hero cartoons....like superman from the 60's and 70's

SteyrAUG
08-01-11, 00:06
Salute to the Marines (1943)

Bataan (1943)

Hitler's Madman (1943)

Or any other war film where we show the savages we are fighting for what they truly are.

DTHN2LGS
08-01-11, 13:18
Shaft???

Spiffums
08-01-11, 16:45
Just from a paycheck stand point think about making movies like The Breakfast Club, Red Dawn, The Outsiders even Top Gun. Movies today have 2 maybe 3 high dollar actors and then scale actors after that. The amount of people to remake the bigger movies with mainstream major actors would kill the movies.

Sure you can point out that Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings are the exceptions to this idea but for Harry there was only 2 or 3 known actors in that movie and they weren't really on screen a lot till the last few movies.

BrianS
08-01-11, 16:49
Just from a paycheck stand point think about making movies like The Breakfast Club, Red Dawn, The Outsiders even Top Gun.

All those movies involved young up and coming actors, not already established big names.

chadbag
08-01-11, 18:01
Just from a paycheck stand point think about making movies like The Breakfast Club, Red Dawn, The Outsiders even Top Gun. Movies today have 2 maybe 3 high dollar actors and then scale actors after that. The amount of people to remake the bigger movies with mainstream major actors would kill the movies.

Sure you can point out that Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings are the exceptions to this idea but for Harry there was only 2 or 3 known actors in that movie and they weren't really on screen a lot till the last few movies.

"A Bridge Too Far"

Most of the big names (and there were a lot) were big at the time the film was made

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075784/fullcredits#cast

Just a small selection

Dirk Bogarde
Sean Connery
Ryan O'Neal
Gene Hackman
Edward Fox
Michael Caine
Anthony Hopkins
James Caan
Maximilian Schell
Liv Ullmann
Elliot Gould
Laurence Olivier
Robert Redford
John Ratzenberger (this is pre Cliff Claven so probably not famous at the time)

Directed by (and bit part): Richard Attenborough

-----

The movie was made with all these famous people because it was not about the actor, but the story. Not a big "gimme" contract.

SteyrAUG
08-01-11, 18:26
The Longest Day would be another.

BrianS
08-01-11, 19:01
The Longest Day would be another.

Yeah they had that on a few stations on D-Day this year and I watched it, not having seen it in a long time, and was amazed at how many stars were in it.