PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell do you go for new music?

rob_s
10-29-07, 18:43
I finally broke down and bought an ipod. Thought it would be cool to put all my old Napster stuff in one place, and that itunes would be a cool way to buy new music. I had gotten tired of the XM radio playing the same 200 songs over and over.

So I've spent the last hour surfing around and bought not one thing. Everything I look for I either already have, or at least already have all the good songs from that album/band.

I have also come to the conclusion that all of my favorite bands/artists are either dead, no longer together, or now suck. Cases in point would be (in that order) Johnny Cash, Minor Threat, and Metallica.

Surely there have to be bands that are in the same vein as my defunct favorites, but how on earth do you find them?

John_Wayne777
10-29-07, 18:49
Try Pandora. Program it with some artists you like and it will make suggestions for other songs by other artists you haven't heard of....

But be prepared to deal with some stuff you don't like. I programmed a station for the band Heart, and Pandora turned it into friggin' Lillith Fair. I kept getting sad songs by some hippie chick lamenting something about her summer dress.

So I programmed in Ted Nugent....

Then it started playing Judas Priest. Gak.

It's gotten better now.

rob_s
10-29-07, 18:50
Good call, I had forgotten about Pandora since my connection went to hell.

55Kingpin
10-29-07, 18:53
I've got around 20 music "channels" that come through my cable.

They don't play the videos, but they show random pictures of the bands. I've found a lot of great bands that way. My taste in music is very diverse, so I love having the ability to switch between metal, classical, jazz, rock, 50s, 60s, 70s, etc...at will.

R1pper
10-29-07, 18:54
Try purevolume.com

DBautista
10-29-07, 19:59
Pandora is probably the best internet "radio" site that has the best price: FREE.

List all your favorites, then the player will stay in that "genre". I hear something interesting... I write it down... Find it on it ITunes and put it on my IPod.

Awesome stuff.

Lumpy196
10-29-07, 20:35
Cases in point would be (in that order) Johnny Cash, Minor Threat, and Metallica.

Minor Threat? Dont tell me you're straight edge :cool:

I rarely find any new music I like these days. I have a network of friend that hook me up with obscure CDs from years ago that are of my liking.

Ive actually found a couple bands I liked from listening to XM too.

steve2071
10-30-07, 05:38
Nevermind misread your original post...

5POINT56
10-30-07, 08:32
Go to Amazon.

Go to "Music".

Search for "Down - NOLA"

Buy it.

JimmyB62
10-31-07, 12:19
Go to Amazon.

Go to "Music".

Search for "Down - NOLA"

Buy it.

Ouch.............my head hurts

graffex
10-31-07, 13:25
I just rip all my CD's using Easy CD-DA Extractor (www.poikosoft.com) and save them on my computer in mp3 form and import them into iTunes. For new music I just borrow CD's from people and do the same thing. I don't like the quality of downloaded music so I like having awesome control of the file output when I rip the CD's with Easy CD-DA Extractor (www.poikosoft.com). It's a awesome program, I've been using it since I started.