PDA

View Full Version : Drop-in rail for mounting optics

pinepig2
08-01-11, 04:06
I'm developing options for a purchase request for drop-in carbine rails. This is for gov't-issued Colt 6520's (the model with the integral carry handle). A key requirement is total stability to maintain zero of an attached 1X optic.

I know there is a list of reasons why replacing the upper (one with a railed receiver) would be far superior. I and others have tried and failed to convince management.

The two rails I know of that meet the criteria are the GG&G rail (which some of our officers in other areas are already using) and the Daniel Defense Omega. Is there anything similar out there that does not have fully-railed sides, but rather just forward sections or detachable side-rail pieces?

GTifosi
08-01-11, 04:28
I'm guessing a Z mount probably isn't of interest?
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-67725737814612_2161_15271844

Picture is example only.
As with everything else, there are different levels of quality, fit, finish, etc.

pinepig2
08-01-11, 04:34
No thanks on that.

GTifosi
08-01-11, 05:34
Thought so but had to ask just the same.

aaron_c
08-01-11, 10:34
I don't know of anything, but do keep this in mind- the DD Omega is probably lighter than a Troy/VTAC once you add a rail or two to them if it's weight you're concerned about.

fixit69
08-01-11, 10:40
I'm thinking you've already purchased this? The rifle I mean.

ra2bach
08-01-11, 12:37
I don't know of anything, but do keep this in mind- the DD Omega is probably lighter than a Troy/VTAC once you add a rail or two to them if it's weight you're concerned about.

if I understand the OP, he is not asking about FF rails. he is asking about drop-in rails that mount using the HG cap and Delta ring/spring.

I have no experience with the Omega but in the pre-Obama frenzy I did buy the GG&G modular forearm rail http://www.gggaz.com/ar-15-tactical-forearm.html. it locks onto the fore end very securely without modifications to the rifle. it attaches in 2 pieces with screws that clamp tightly and allow no discernible movement.

it is also modular in that allows you to place rails chunks (including a 45* angled one and two "rail covers") where you need/want them. it can also be run "slick sided" with just the 12 o'clock rail like some of the newer trend rails.

theoretically, it is very innovative. it is also not a lightweight if you use all the supplied rail chunks but again, it is very sturdy...

if your dept. is limited to A2/grabrail receivers and you are looking to mount optics on the forward rail, my choice would be whichever one gives the most secure lockup regardless of other considerations. I would get an example of both and test...

msstate56
08-01-11, 12:50
I would not trust any non free float handguard to hold zero with an optic. It only takes a fraction of an inch to throw off your zero. That said, I wouldn't trust the Omega rail as an optic mount either. In your situation, I think the "gooseneck" mount with an aimpoint would be your best bet. It may not look the coolest, but it will hold zero much better.

pinepig2
08-01-11, 19:34
aaron - Weight is something to keep an eye on, as these rifles sometimes have to get lugged up and down mountains. It doesn't look like Troy or VTAC have drop-in versions of their modular rails anyway, at least not on their websites. Is there anything missing from their websites?

fixit - Yes, the rifles are currently in service.

ra2bach - Great response, thanks. As I'd mentioned, I know some guys in our region use the GG&G rail. I hadn't looked at one up close and didn't realize it was modular until you mentioned it. This is what I'll request unless another great option comes up.

msstate56 - I've got a gooseneck now, and honestly I trust it less than the rails that index and lock to the barrel nut. That big, unsupported platform hanging out there can be tweaked/bent if hit, and there is only the one screw holding it in place. However, I agree that no option is as secure as receiver rail mounting.

pinepig2
08-01-11, 19:53
In a Discovery Channel commercial for an upcoming episode of Sons of Guns, there was an AR seen briefly sporting a slick looking modular rail. The delta ring was still in place, but the front of the rail was mounted over a low profile gas block. I paused the DVR to check it out.

I wonder who makes that one, and if there is a version that mounts with a standard front sight block?

fixit69
08-01-11, 21:18
Now dont take this wrong, butagain why did you go old school and want to mount an optic. I understand flex and all but I think either I'm not getting something or you need to get a flat top upper. That's why I asked, if you hadnt bought it I'd say don't.

pinepig2
08-01-11, 21:24
Now dont take this wrong, butagain why did you go old school and want to mount an optic. I understand flex and all but I think either I'm not getting something or you need to get a flat top upper. That's why I asked, if you hadnt bought it I'd say don't.

I work for a federal agency, and the AR's are selected/purchased by staff stationed at FLETC in Georgia. Many officers/agents working in the field have been asking to switch to flat tops to no avail (6520's apparantly cheaper than 6920's). I and others have already submitted requests to purchase flat top uppers at the local level and they were not approved. The joys of working for the feds (at least certain agencies).

fixit69
08-01-11, 21:38
Sorry pinepig. Reading you5x5 now. That blows cause I don't jaany idea of a sturdy mount for Old school uppers. Maybe ra's idea. I'm without a clue. Maybe acog on carry handle?

pinepig2
08-01-11, 22:53
Yeah, I think ra has the best idea.

ACOG's? Maybe folks in the DHS or DOJ have the funding to afford ACOG's, not us :(

justin_247
08-02-11, 16:42
The only thing that I can think of is the Versa Rail system by Diamondhead. I just don't know if it would be solid enough to maintain zero on an optic.

http://www.store-diamondhead-usa.com/Diamondhead_V_RS_Modular_Drop_In_Handguard_System_p/20001.htm

Best bet is probably the KAC RAS or DD Omega. Those are the only two drop-in systems I would be willing to mount an optic on.

pinepig2
08-03-11, 00:18
I've got it down to the Omega or the GG&G. The Omega's inclusion of a rotation-limited swivel mount is probably sealing the deal for me.