PDA

View Full Version : Lower: Palmetto State or Spike's Tactical?

m4brian
08-01-11, 11:35
Thinking on a build. Which lower is more desirable?

Also, I figure that a DD LPK is about the best VALUE/quality out there - true?

Thanks.

SomeOtherGuy
08-01-11, 12:58
I don't think there's a meaningful difference between those two brands of lowers, especially since both are apparently machined by Aero Precision. I would get either the PSA or the similarly priced Surplus Arms and Ammo stripped lower if you're just doing a basic build.

The DD LPK is one of the best options for quality and value, assuming you want a plain-jane GI style trigger. You may also want to compare the G&R LPK depending on the options you want.

Magic_Salad0892
08-01-11, 13:34
Hashbrowns or french fries?...

If you want a plain jane lower: DD, LMT, or Colt. Or something.

If you want a badass whiz bang lower: KAC, or ADAX.

Underwhere
08-01-11, 17:21
Thinking on a build. Which lower is more desirable?

Also, I figure that a DD LPK is about the best VALUE/quality out there - true?

Thanks.

I would look to see if PSA's lower has a flared magwell opening. The Spikes ones I just picked up didn't and I was a bit disappointed.

I'm very happy with my PSA lpk. A ton better than DPMS, and I find it on par with Armalite.

What I would do:
PSA lower if the magwell is flared.
PSA lpk kit with Geissele SSA trigger (This is a significant discount)
or PSA lower build kits are well priced too and you can choose your furniture and color etc.

osiris32
08-01-11, 17:34
I am very pleased with the PSA lowers I got. They offer them for $50 every once in a while and are of very good quality. PSA is also a pleasure to deal with.

GTifosi
08-01-11, 17:43
I would look to see if PSA's lower has a flared magwell opening

>clickme< (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1046592&postcount=11) to jump to a post that has several very good pix of the PSA pictogram lower receiver.

See rest of that thread for other reciever pix, including Spike's

bsmith_shoot
08-01-11, 19:17
Go with the cheapest of the 2. Both are made by the same company. I have no hands on experience on palmeto state lowers, but I own a spikes with over 2,000 rds. that is SBR'd and it's been flawless. Both will serve you well.

SA80Dan
08-01-11, 20:58
Go with the cheapest of the 2. Both are made by the same company. I have no hands on experience on palmeto state lowers, but I own a spikes with over 2,000 rds. that is SBR'd and it's been flawless. Both will serve you well.

From the pics from the link supplied by GTIFosi above, I am thinking that Palmetto have changed suppliers on the pictogram lower....in addition to the subtle differences pointed out by the poster in that thread, the Palmetto picto ones also used to be serial numbered starting "AP". In the pics from that link, its serial number starts "LW"....which is the same as my non picto "safe/fire" Palmetto lower. I am thinking that LW Schneider is the likely source.....(also heard it elsewhere, here and there, but can't confirm however). Of the two lowers in the pic, the Palmetto one looks better finished to me.

GTifosi
08-01-11, 21:19
FWIW, the pictogram receiver I got from them a few weeks back during one of the sales starts with AP (#'s in the 2100 range)

A few weeks before that even we did a group buy with half being pictogram and the other half being words.
All the pictograms were AP, all the words were LW (#'s in the 500 range)

At the time we didn't think much of it and instead of putting it down to a different shop source, we simply took it as 'LW' meant 'Long Words' and 'AP' meant 'All Pictures'

Though there are differences in the LW and AP recievers beyond the iconography/labelling.

The AP pictogram I'm holding in my hand right now has a raised full/unbroken keyhole forge mark on the right side of the magwell just below the tip of the vertical fence wall around the magazine release button hole.

08-01-11, 21:59
The nice thing about the Spikes is they have the full-auto marking. It's a fun ploy to play on people.

If I was to get another LPK, I'd try to get one that has the selector lever which has a large divot on the opposing side so people can tell easily (rangemasters, shoot bosses, instructors etc) what state it is in. (It can also be another point that Pat Rogers can curse you out for and hand you a "THAT GUY" hat for. :))

EDIT: This is mine for reference. P.S. Get a MOE grip at least. (I have the insert that carries two 123A batteries, bringing my total to 4 spare batteries for the TLR-1, and there's two spare batteries for the H-1 inside the A2 stock.)

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/Starofire/Random/th_f0117d50.jpg (http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/Starofire/Random/f0117d50.jpg)

EDIT 2: That LPK is a DPMS.

EDIT 3: The first Spikes lower I had, which was identical to this one (bullet icons colored) had the proper height for the icons relative to the center of the selector hole. This one has a different serial number prefix (the first was SARxxxxxx I think) and this one is different.

m4brian
08-02-11, 08:01
http://palmettostatearmory.com/1560.php

Palmetto State seems to have a "new" model, and offer at least 3/4 models. Don't know all the differences.

Anodizing completeness and mag well flare DO influence me also. But... who knows what you would get, as PSA has various models, and who knows just what supplier Spike's is using at this time? I suppose in the end it wouldn't matter, but would be nice to know.

Colt guy
08-02-11, 18:34
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu290/rgerh913/Firearms/AR%2015/PalmettoStateLowers004.jpg
I would look to see if PSA's lower has a flared magwell opening. The Spikes ones I just picked up didn't and I was a bit disappointed.

I'm very happy with my PSA lpk. A ton better than DPMS, and I find it on par with Armalite.

What I would do:
PSA lower if the magwell is flared.
PSA lpk kit with Geissele SSA trigger (This is a significant discount)
or PSA lower build kits are well priced too and you can choose your furniture and color etc.

the three I received last month from Palmetto State for $50 each

Oh look for a Labor Day Sale on lowers again

flynshoot
08-02-11, 23:14
Both are good.

PSA has better pricing. Can't go wrong either way.

m4brian
08-03-11, 08:12

Have a pick of the Spike's? Flared magwell would do it for me. I also kinda like the PSA logo. Now, if they put the Gadsden on sale...

rob_s
08-03-11, 08:31
The one with the logo you like the best (or hate the least) or whichever is less expensive.

Jellybean
08-03-11, 09:46
One other thing that my or may not have any bearing on this for you, is resale demand/value.
For example, I was recently helping out a couple family members put together their first ARs. It came down to a tossup between Spikes and PSA. If it was ME, I would have had no problem getting a PSA as I plan on keeping my rifle. But as there is still a high probability that, being their first AR they might not take a liking to it like I did, it might get sold sometime down the road. So I had them go with Spikes, as it seems they are more well known than PSA, and might re-sell easier (ie, when was the last time you came across a PSA fanboy? :p).

And then of course, as soon as they got their lowers, PSA promptly had a sale.:mad: Could kick myself....

Scoby
08-03-11, 10:59
Handled a PSA lower for the first time this week in a local shop.
It "looked" good to go. Don't have any real use experience with them though.

An interesting thing about this lower was that the serial number started with YOU LIE. In reference to SC Senator Wilsons' outburst during Obamas' State of the Union address.

I have no idea how many have been made like this and it may interest some people.

GTifosi
08-03-11, 12:16
The YOU LIE versions are practically collectors pieces at this stage.

They made them for the reason you describe, then had to take them off the market because apparently it gave someone with pull a case of the ass.
They may have some left over that they're letting go, but I don't believe they are making any new ones with that particular serial # code on them.

At least that's my understanding of it anyway which carries the actual trade in cash value of these words.

Scoby
08-06-11, 09:03
Well, you guys got me thinking about a PSA lower to incorporate into a M4 profile KISS rifle I'm putting together for a truck/farm gun.

Had a .22 mag rifle that I rarely shoot any longer so I worked up a trade with the local shop for this lower and some ammo.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/YOULIELower.jpg

Put it on one of my uppers last night and shot about 60 rds through it. 60 rds is no real indication of performance I know but it functioned without any problems. PMags insert and drop free. Saftey is smooth. Milspec receiver extension. I have no idea what LPK is in this lower. Gonna try to find that out. Trigger has play and is gritty. TriggerWorks.net will be seeing this soon.

So far I like it.

MistWolf
08-06-11, 16:11
Get an LRB lower as they have the more desirable "5.56" caliber marking

AMMOTECH
08-06-11, 16:29
PSA with a Daniel Defense LPK and BCM stock kit would be a good combo.

Scoby
08-06-11, 21:42
Get an LRB lower as they have the more desirable "5.56" caliber marking

What does this mean exactly?

SA80Dan
08-06-11, 22:52
What does this mean exactly?

http://www.lrbarms.com/m15sareceivers.html

- Unless I am mistaken its merely a brand of lower that says 5.56 on it rather than the more common Multi Cal. Whether that's more desirable or not is debatable IMHO...I personally don't care so long as it works as its supposed to. Guess it might have some curb appeal to the masses.

That said, they look like reasonably priced lowers that are built to spec and work as advertized, so I'd have no hesitation about picking one up at the right price, either.

MistWolf
08-06-11, 23:02
The "5.56" caliber markings are more desirable than the "Multi" caliber markings when it comes to choosing a lower and just as important as picking the right logo

Underwhere
08-06-11, 23:31
Have a pick of the Spike's? Flared magwell would do it for me. I also kinda like the PSA logo. Now, if they put the Gadsden on sale...

Here is a pic of my Spiles lower compared to my Stag Arms lower.

The spikes is very square compared to the beveled edge of the Stag.
http://i55.tinypic.com/2dszk0.jpghttp://i52.tinypic.com/50g79.jpg

AmericanGunWorks
08-07-11, 00:34
I have three PSA lowers and a PSA upper and they all seem fine to me. I have a more expensive MP15 and I don't see much difference between the two.

MGD
08-07-11, 00:57
http://www.lrbarms.com/m15sareceivers.html

for what it's worth, wideners has LRB lowers for $69

http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8913&dir=700|863

Scoby
08-07-11, 06:14
The "5.56" caliber markings are more desirable than the "Multi" caliber markings when it comes to choosing a lower and just as important as picking the right logo

The LRB is nice and at a good price as long as they're made properly and most likely are.

Rollmarks are personal preference. Function first, then looks, if looks matter to you.

rob_s
08-07-11, 08:14
The problem with picking a lower based solely on brand is that almost no "stampers" (since they aren't manufacturing anything) buy from the same supplier every time, and that even if they do those that are not required to hold to a standard rarely do, creating deviations from day to day, month to month.

A "things to look for in a stripped lower" might be good, but it's also a crapshoot anyway for those buying online because as soon as you think you found what you want they buy from a different source and you get something completely different.

MistWolf
08-07-11, 09:10
The LRB is nice and at a good price as long as they're made properly and most likely are.

Rollmarks are personal preference. Function first, then looks, if looks matter to you.

Exactly my point. Between the Spikes & Palmetto (or LRB), it's strictly personal preference

I do like the LRB and while I prefer the "5.56" caliber marking, I don't think it's any better than the Palmetto or the Spikes.

A well written "Choosing a Lower" sticky would be useful