PDA

View Full Version : Facepalm worthy moments in CCW...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Nephrology
08-01-11, 16:06
So the following event inspired me to post this thread-

I was running some standards drill with a buddy (who has already done some cringeworthy inducing things with his carry guns, including buying a long slide setup for his G32 explicitly for carry... the longer sight radius is apparently super important to him) when his kel-tec PF9 had an interesting malfunction. While shooting his PF9, he did not let his trigger out long enough for the reset and when he pulled it to shoot the target, the firingpin went forward but did not have the force to pierce the primer and he was left with a dead trigger.

His reaction? " OH not a big deal! I'll just learn to make sure to let the trigger all the way out! " When I asked him if he thought he would remember that with somebody shooting at him, he seemed a little upset.

This was the same range trip where he debuted his draw from his new ThunderWear/Smartcarry setup. With the same PF9.

My favorite moment, though, was the smug look on his face when he told me that he got the gun at a steal. Only $200! I smiled and kept shooting.

Anybody else have any buddies who carry and don't *quite* get it?

QuietShootr
08-01-11, 16:33
So the following event inspired me to post this thread-

I was running some standards drill with a buddy (who has already done some cringeworthy inducing things with his carry guns, including buying a long slide setup for his G32 explicitly for carry... the longer sight radius is apparently super important to him) when his kel-tec PF9 had an interesting malfunction. While shooting his PF9, he did not let his trigger out long enough for the reset and when he pulled it to shoot the target, the firingpin went forward but did not have the force to pierce the primer and he was left with a dead trigger.

His reaction? " OH not a big deal! I'll just learn to make sure to let the trigger all the way out! " When I asked him if he thought he would remember that with somebody shooting at him, he seemed a little upset.

This was the same range trip where he debuted his draw from his new ThunderWear/Smartcarry setup. With the same PF9.

My favorite moment, though, was the smug look on his face when he told me that he got the gun at a steal. Only $200! I smiled and kept shooting.

No.

Perhaps it's a bad thing. Once I decide someone's an idiot about something important, it's hard for me to want to be around them. That's why I have so much trouble understanding these "My brother-in-law says Tasco is the Navy Delta Force scope they use in asscrackistan! how can I convince him otherwise??" Who gives a ****? Shine him on down the road.

:-)

Nephrology
08-01-11, 16:34
No.

Perhaps it's a bad thing. Once I decide someone's an idiot about something important, it's hard for me to want to be around them. That's why I have so much trouble understanding these "My brother-in-law says Tasco is the Navy Delta Force scope they use in asscrackistan! how can I convince him otherwise??" Who gives a ****? Shine him on down the road.

believe me it is not the kind of friendship that is destined to last....

Magic_Salad0892
08-01-11, 16:35
A dude I used to work with carried a 10mm 1911 of some sort with a 6'' barrel, and fiber optic sights, and claimed that it was in case he was engaged at a target 200 yards away...

I asked how that would be self defence, and he replied something awesome:

''The Japanese army ****ed with us in Pearl Harbor... So we nuked 'em. That was thousands of miles away, and it was self defence.''

Nephrology
08-01-11, 16:37
A dude I used to work with carried a 10mm 1911 of some sort with a 6'' barrel, and fiber optic sights, and claimed that it was in case he was engaged at a target 200 yards away...

''The Japanese army ****ed with us in Pearl Harbor... So we nuked 'em. That was thousands of miles away, and it was self defence.''

Yeah, I should add that this was more or less his justification for the G32 + long slide monstrosity he is building for himself. He wants a "carbine in a holster." He has developed an antipathy for any cartridge that fails to go 1600FPS out the barrel, which is why he splurged and dropped nearly 700 dollars on the 32 with all that crap to go with it.

BCmJUnKie
08-01-11, 16:47
I sold an XD .40 about a month ago.
Around a week later my regular shooting buddy and I went to the range, he shows up about an hour later with the pistol on his hip, I asked him how it was workin for him...

He replies with "The only time I got to shoot it was the other day when I dropped the slide at home and it went off!!" He exclaimed like it was funny

I said "well keep your stupid finger off the trigger when you chamber a round" He argued up and down that it was....I owned the gun for 2 years without a single AD/ND

The rest of the range trip sucked due to paranoia of being hit with anothe ND. Needless to say I havent been to the range with hime since

Sry0fcr
08-01-11, 17:34
Gentlemen, lead your horses to water. If [When?] one of these boneheads "makes the news" it'll be ammunition to be used against the rest of us.

misanthropist
08-01-11, 17:52
Well, up here in Canada CCW is effectively non-existent. But we have no shortage of guys one puck short of a hockey game.

There are still people here that are 100% convinced that, for example, the 1911 is still the premiere issue pistol for all the best LE and Mil units, and that "plastic guns" are popular for the sole reason that they're cheap.

As a matter of fact, I have often suspected that the lack of a CCW option for most Canadians means that even stupider beliefs are held on to longer, because few guns other than hunting rifles and shotguns get used anywhere other than a range, and it would be illegal to do otherwise. (Canadians, please do not jump in here and start explaining about Sig Classic Greens or CZ858s...I'm well aware but you know what I mean.)

Since nobody outside of LE etc will use their pistols anywhere off a range, ever, what exactly IS the difference between an STI and a Colt? What IS the advantage of a P30 over an XD9? Many of the differences are almost moot, because the most we're going to do is lose a stage in competition. Nobody is defending their life with a pistol up here.

People buy cheap guns, or just plain lousy guns, because they can't tell the difference, and the stakes are lower as well. So whatever dumb things you hear...we may hear even worse up here.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-01-11, 18:02
Currently in a CCW class designed for Marines getting out. Its by far the scariest thing Ive ever seen. We havent even got to the live fire portions and already the Marines are pointing the blue guns in their mouths and at each other. Jesus.

QuietShootr
08-01-11, 18:23
Currently in a CCW class designed for Marines getting out. Its by far the scariest thing Ive ever seen. We havent even got to the live fire portions and already the Marines are pointing the blue guns in their mouths and at each other. Jesus.

I am Jack's total lack of surprise. I had to have a discussion that turned physical a couple of years ago with a newly-returned-from-Iraq Marine who thought it was funny to point his CCW at people. There is a subset of soldiers/Marines who think ****ing around with loaded weapons is either a)funny or b) a sign of machismo. Generally, this is a sign of abject failure on the part of their staff NCOs and leadership.

aaron_c
08-01-11, 19:15
Most of the scariest people/things I've seen in the firearm industry are from current and former LEO/military personnel.

Here's the thing. The ratio of firearm-related idiots on this board is probably FAR FAR lower than that of a police department or group of military personnel. Why? Because it's our hobby and we enjoy guns. They have guns because it's their job to have guns. I know countless cops who never touch theirs unless they are required to train or something for it.

Nephrology
08-01-11, 19:30
Most of the scariest people/things I've seen in the firearm industry are from current and former LEO/military personnel.

Here's the thing. The ratio of firearm-related idiots on this board is probably FAR FAR lower than that of a police department or group of military personnel. Why? Because it's our hobby and we enjoy guns. They have guns because it's their job to have guns. I know countless cops who never touch theirs unless they are required to train or something for it.

The buddy of mine from my stories is an interesting breed in that he is a civilian (and based on his political bent, will be for his whole life) and he is generally a very safe shooter, which I totally respect him for.

Most of his, um, more colorful opinions have to do with which guns/ammo are appropriate for self defense and what kind of scenarios exactly constitutes self defense.

I have witnessed the following things from him in the past few months -

1. Has told me that a Glock 21 with a .45 Super barrel is the ULTIMATE HOME DEFENSE WEAPON and he will probably buy such a setup soon.

2. ".223/9mm is a poodle shooter". We've all heard that one before

3. Seen him practice transitions from handgun to Keltec Sub2000 (9mm Carbine) from his backpack. G18 mag zip-tied to the fore end for a quick reload :ph34r:)

4. .357 SIG is a LETHAL MAN STOPPER because of HYDROSTATIC SHOCK. He also refuses to buy jhps from anybody but Doubletap for this reason even though better ammo (Federal, Winchester, Speer...) are available for 1/2 the price and with far better components.

5. Bought a knockoff cheapo Bi-Pod and a 8 dollar 100 lumen flashlight from DealExtreme and mounted it on his Ruger Mini 14 in an ATI stock (mount for the light, of course, also from DealExtreme)

6. Seen him spend 1g on Keltec products in 1 day (2PF9s and aforementioned Keltec Sub2000s).

7. Sings the praises of the "extremely accurate" DPMS AR-10 his dad owns.

8. Built a "G17XL" or a g17 with the longest slide/barrel combo possible from Lone wolf. Was confused when he couldnt get it to run (Hint: there is a reason that slide weight and recoil spring weight are carefully calibrated...). Absolutely convinced he'll sell the whole setup online again for basically as much as he paid for it.

I could go on. Cops and .mil are certainly vulnerable to a certain kind of gun retardation but at least it isnt plain embarrassing like some of the hillbilly folk BS I am occasionally subjected to...

BCmJUnKie
08-01-11, 19:35

I can VOUCH and PROVE that. Your statement is 100% correct, and actually its the majority of LE/MIL. I have quite a few cop buddies that either
A) Only shot when they have to qualify
B) carry off duty when they travel out of town.

There is one guy (LEO), that carries 6 extra mags on the front of his duty belt, (hes one of my favorite people to talk to). But he carries all the extra mags because of lack of practice and he's a bad shot.

I always thought he was just joking when he said "I cant hit shit! Why you think I carry so many mags!" Until a couple other people told me that he barely qualifies. Hes a good guy though.

I used to think that cops were amazing at shooting...till I started shooting with them. Its a common myth

mtdawg169
08-01-11, 20:36
My former stepfather's ccw choices were a .22 mag derringer and a Taurus Judge. How's that for facepalm! He was such a lunatic, that I wouldn't even try to convince him otherwise.

Alpha Sierra
08-01-11, 20:56
but at least it isnt plain embarrassing like some of the hillbilly folk BS I am occasionally subjected to...
There is one such 'tard at my local gun club. He always wants to tell everyone how his POS russian guns are superior to everything else. Him and his inbred son.

As soon as he opens his mouth I pull the trigger.

TOrrock
08-01-11, 21:05
No.

I've gotten to this camp as well. Over 20 years of trying to help, and then having people get butt hurt when I make suggestions, has lead me to let most people fair for themselves unless it's someone I know and who I think will understand that I'm not insulting them, but that they need to put down the "Cheaper than Dirt" catalogue and stop taking what they read in the gun press as gospel.

Black Jeep
08-01-11, 21:37
Having a buddy that you decide to quit shooting with is one thing, family is an altogether different bird. I have some family like that and while I would like to send them on their merry way, you bite your tongue, smile and nod and then keep one eye on them while at the range in order to keep the peace. I do make every excuse under the sun to avoid going to the range with them, but have to go at least once a year. When I'm at their house and they want to show me their most recent purchase, I tell them it's not my speed, but if they like it carry on.

Sry0fcr
08-01-11, 22:36
Having a buddy that you decide to quit shooting with is one thing, family is an altogether different bird. I have some family like that and while I would like to send them on their merry way, you bite your tongue, smile and nod and then keep one eye on them while at the range in order to keep the peace. I do make every excuse under the sun to avoid going to the range with them, but have to go at least once a year. When I'm at their house and they want to show me their most recent purchase, I tell them it's not my speed, but if they like it carry on.

I do a safety brief before we shoot if I'm going to be around new shooters or someone that might not be the safest handling weapons. Sometimes it's good to remind myself as well.

mkmckinley
08-02-11, 06:54
This thread reminds me of a guy in my unit. Stellar individual but a moron when it comes to CCW. He was all hot to get a Taurus 24/7 and then a subcompact Kel-tec of some flavor. When I told him that I used to work in a pawn shop that sold Kel-Tec and that they are crap his response was "yeah, but they're so small!" He's the kind of guy that has like a dozen shitty guns but thinks a Glock is too indulgent. The thing that really gets me is he's quite competent. I've seen this guy make a first round hit on a Larue popper at 75m with his M9.

QuietShootr
08-02-11, 07:25
This thread reminds me of a guy in my unit. Stellar individual but a moron when it comes to CCW. He was all hot to get a Taurus 24/7 and then a subcompact Kel-tec of some flavor. When I told him that I used to work in a pawn shop that sold Kel-Tec and that they are crap his response was "yeah, but they're so small!" He's the kind of guy that has like a dozen shitty guns but thinks a Glock is too indulgent. The thing that really gets me is he's quite competent. I've seen this guy make a first round hit on a Larue popper at 75m with his M9.

And stories like these are exactly why when someone says "I was in the (fill in the blank), I know about guns!" I just roll my eyes.

The Cat
08-02-11, 07:58
And stories like these are exactly why when someone says "I was in the (fill in the blank), I know about guns!" I just roll my eyes.

In my experience, they usually add the tag, "and I was an armorer, too".

Littlelebowski
08-02-11, 07:59
My boss bought a Judge. He also has a Taurus.

QuietShootr
08-02-11, 08:26
In my experience, they usually add the tag, "and I was an armorer, too".

Which, if true, usually further identifies them as the company ****up or limp dick who couldn't be trusted to do whatever his PMOS was, so they stuck him in the arms room trading cards for weapons so he wouldn't be an impediment to people who were actually doing work:lol:

jhs1969
08-02-11, 09:28
A former friend of mine related a story of his which, for some reason, he was firing a .22 rifle up into a tree. The problem was a neighbors house was about 300yrds down range, they quickly put a stop to his plinking when bullets started impacting their roof.

Same guy, first hand experience. While doing some targeting shooting years ago we walked down range to inspect the targets. I was about a half step ahead of him and had removed my earpro while inspecting the targets. At which point he rasies a .38 snub and fires at the target at near contact range. Not only is my earpro off but I was also peppered down the right side of my face from the cylinder gap.

He is now with the State Police.:rolleyes:

mkmckinley
08-02-11, 09:33

Hehe yeah totally. I recently had an MP checking out my Glock 19 ask me "where's the safety". His buddy said "it doesn't have one, its like the SIG" and give me a knowing glance. I just don't know what to say to that kind of stuff.

outrider627
08-02-11, 10:20
Sometimes I wish my friends were into guns and we could go shooting, but then I read threads like this. Maybe I'm lucky I don't have to deal with terminal amounts of the stupid. :D

QuietShootr
08-02-11, 10:23
Sometimes I wish my friends were into guns and we could go shooting, but then I read threads like this. Maybe I'm lucky I don't have to deal with terminal amounts of the stupid. :D

I look at it as a good litmus test of who I want to hang around with. If someone's too dumb to handle a weapon safely, or to WANT to, I don't have a lot of use for them out side of work.

okie john
08-02-11, 11:25
This thread is making me sad.

Okie John

BullittBoy
08-02-11, 11:59
I went to the local range here in Houston and watched a guy sit at the 50 yard line with a new M4 flat top with NO ****ING SIGHTS in front or rear that he had just purchased at the gun show.
Instead of putting some sort of cheap buis set or optic he chose to shoot it with his girlie frind for OVER AN HOUR while I sat and waited to get a bench to shoot off of. He shot at least 200 rounds and girlie friend too.
Showing off how much fun it was to just blast off into the dirt.

Then the guy next to him shooting a 1890's lever gun with EXACTLY 10 bullets to shoot in it and he took an HOUR to shoot them, yes TWO 30 minute sessions and THEN he waited until AFTER the cease fire to move off the line and open the bench so I had to wait another 30 minutes to get to shoot.
This was in one day out there....

товарищ
08-02-11, 12:13
I was trashed one night and came back to my barracks to get some sleep. I clocked out instantly and woke up not too longer after that to what sounded like a gunshot. I was completely inebriated, so I figured that I was imagining things. I went back to sleep.

I woke up the next morning and found out that my friend living across the hall managed to shoot himself in the leg with a 9mm Hi-Point that he had bought that day. I think he was holstering it or "cleaning" it, I can't remember. Apparently his Hi-Point was going to be his carry piece once his CCW got approved. The ND didn't cause any serious damage to his leg and an ambulance carted him off to the base hospital. He made a great string of choices that night.

I can't disagree with the belief that most military personnel/veterans are generally idiots when it comes to guns. On the same note, being on a forum doesn't mean that you've magically surmounted your retardation.

QuietShootr
08-02-11, 12:22
I was trashed one night and came back to my barracks to get some sleep. I clocked out instantly and woke up not too longer after that to what sounded like a gunshot. I was completely inebriated, so I figured that I was imagining things. I went back to sleep.

I woke up the next morning and found out that my friend living across the hall managed to shoot himself in the leg with a 9mm Hi-Point that he had bought that day. I think he was holstering it or "cleaning" it, I can't remember. Apparently his Hi-Point was going to be his carry piece once his CCW got approved. The ND didn't cause any serious damage to his leg and an ambulance carted him off to the base hospital. He made a great string of choices that night.

I can't disagree with the belief that most military personnel/veterans are generally idiots when it comes to guns. On the same note, being on a forum doesn't mean that you've magically surmounted your retardation.

Oh, no...it certainly doesn't. However, I think what we're discussing here is the propensity for people to think they know something because they were in (.......). Or for people to think people who are (......) are gun experts. If some retard on a forum does something stupid, nobody is surprised...it's when a Professional Soldier or cop decides he's the only one in da room pofesshunul enuff to handa a glock fotay, that hilarity ensues.

aaron_c
08-02-11, 12:30

Yeah I've no longer got anyone to go to the range/go camping with around here, all my friends have graduated and moved off pretty much. Maybe, like you said, that's not such a bad thing lol (though I've never gone shooting with anyone that was irresponsible with guns, even new shooters).

Nephrology
08-02-11, 12:36
Yeah I've no longer got anyone to go to the range/go camping with around here, all my friends have graduated and moved off pretty much. Maybe, like you said, that's not such a bad thing lol (though I've never gone shooting with anyone that was irresponsible with guns, even new shooters).

I am certainly happy to say I do not go shooting with unsafe shooters. Just not the the brightest ones.

Vegas
08-02-11, 14:19
I am fortunate to have one buddy I shoot with that is completely clued up on safety and takes it very seriously. I did my CCW class recently and would not want to be around a couple of the people there if they had to pull their weapon and use it. Think big calibers without the skills to handle them.

Mauser KAR98K
08-02-11, 14:52
My dear neighbor, on day, decided he wanted to take out a condor/vulture (whatever the road kill munchers are called here in TN). Mind you, he has a carry permit. So, he proceeds to unholster and start at his target...in the air. Needless to say I was beside him--and now beside myself at this point--with no ear protection. He missed...:help: Good thing we are in the country.

Some years later, with alcohol on board, he was twirling around his .38 and shot himself in the foot.

But he is one of the best neighbors to have. Takes me fishing (due to I'm on time and I don't bitch and moan), and we bring home big suckers.

To add another gem, but really not a bone headed move but a prevention. My mom (college student at home--keeps it cheap for me) happen to tell me that a certain cousin was coming over and that my aunt wanted me to show him my weapons collection and teach him how to shoot. The same cousin that nine years ago hit me upside the head with a baseball bate, and he was the brat. I think he is 15 now and he is still a brat. I asked my dad that if he could find me something to do at his work on that particular day. He said no, I don't think there is really anything he could have me do. Then I told him who was coming over and what the plan for me was, citing that that is some who does not need to acquire my particular skill set: "Oh, wow, I think I need a repeater moved to the truck. Need a strong back to help."

The subject came up with my dear mom again, and I flat told her I was going to be conspicuously absent that day and the door shut. She asked why, it is your aunt and cousins coming over, and I reminded her which cousin was coming. Long story short, my mom conspicuously needed to do something that day.

Part of being a responsible gun owner--that, and I don't want to train the next Charles Whitman.

BCmJUnKie
08-02-11, 14:59
I am certainly happy to say I do not go shooting with unsafe shooters. Just not the the brightest ones.

+1... this nails it. I completely agree. There is a difference between being new and being a dumbass

Mauser KAR98K
08-02-11, 15:03
+1... this nails it. I completely agree. There is a difference between being new and being a dumbass

There are shooters with bad habits, and shooters yet to acquire them.

bubba04
08-02-11, 15:08
That sounds like american shooting center, or at least that kind of crap happens to me there.

I went to the local range here in Houston and watched a guy sit at the 50 yard line with a new M4 flat top with NO ****ING SIGHTS in front or rear that he had just purchased at the gun show.
Instead of putting some sort of cheap buis set or optic he chose to shoot it with his girlie frind for OVER AN HOUR while I sat and waited to get a bench to shoot off of. He shot at least 200 rounds and girlie friend too.
Showing off how much fun it was to just blast off into the dirt.

Then the guy next to him shooting a 1890's lever gun with EXACTLY 10 bullets to shoot in it and he took an HOUR to shoot them, yes TWO 30 minute sessions and THEN he waited until AFTER the cease fire to move off the line and open the bench so I had to wait another 30 minutes to get to shoot.
This was in one day out there....

WillBrink
08-02-11, 15:55

My actual buddies I shoot with regular are generally all squared away, but a buddy of a buddy came along with us one day, and he put his hand over the barrel of his gun to do a press check!!! My buddy, and the guy he brought, both LEOs.

My buddy, very squared away with firearms. His buddy, not so much. :eek:

I took my buddy aside and told him he really needed to have a talk with his friend about that.

Shawn.L
08-02-11, 16:01
I had "uncle so and so" , you know, the guy your related to somehow but dont know how try to show off his new Ruger SR9 to me.

Hes waving it about in the yard (out country where we can shoot) and Im trying to tell him to watch his muzzle and he says
" Its not loaded..... well, I mean, its loaded, but its not loaded, ya know? Its loaded unloaded."
The proceeds to pull the trigger with it pointed at the ground between us.
I took it off him.
Seems "loaded, unloaded" means its loaded with the safety on :help:
I asked if that was all the ammo he had.... yes. I then actually unloaded it right into the hillside and gave him back his gun.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-02-11, 16:06
My ongoing saga of this USMC CCW class continues. Today was our weapon familiarization day where we handled all sorts of different, but real, pistols. A young black lcpl from 3/5 picked up a GP100 that we all knew was unloaded and began sweeping the entire classroom. When I called him out, he gave me that standard dumbass response of, "Mayn, shut up. Its unloaded, who gives a shit mayn?"

But, it continues...The instructor (a former Msgt and a current SD Sheriff Dep.) flagged the class nearly 10 times with his unloaded CC piece that he pulled from his holster to show us what a "real" 45 looks like.

But wait, there's more! The Marine's discussed weapons in one of their many side convos. One went on to say that the $1000+ AR's on the market are all trash, and that the only way to get a quality one is to build one yourself. His build components consist of a $300 upper and $200 lower, thus proving that all $1k+ AR's are garbage. One went on to explain that rails on a rifle are for Military only and are illegal for civi use. One proclaimed that anything less than a .44 Magnum is a pussy gun.

I've hated most Marines (not the Corps) since day 2 off boot camp, but this takes the cake. Tomorrow is live fire day, and I will be wearing soft armor and a concealed G26 for my safety.

akfortynine
08-02-11, 16:37
At one point during my academy, one of the students tells the classmate to her right (who is a former marine and pistol instructor) that sometimes she closes both her eyes when she shoots.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-02-11, 16:45
At one point during my academy, one of the students tells the classmate to her right (who is a former marine and pistol instructor) that sometimes she closes both her eyes when she shoots.

Ive seen this A LOT on the KD range for rifle. Ive even heard PMI's instruct Marines to do it because of the NPOA. Maybe Im crazy, but looking at my front sight has always helped me...

Alpha Sierra
08-02-11, 17:58
My ongoing saga of this USMC CCW class continues. Today was our weapon familiarization day where we handled all sorts of different, but real, pistols. A young black lcpl from 3/5 picked up a GP100 that we all knew was unloaded and began sweeping the entire classroom. When I called him out, he gave me that standard dumbass response of, "Mayn, shut up. Its unloaded, who gives a shit mayn?"

But, it continues...The instructor (a former Msgt and a current SD Sheriff Dep.) flagged the class nearly 10 times with his unloaded CC piece that he pulled from his holster to show us what a "real" 45 looks like.

But wait, there's more! The Marine's discussed weapons in one of their many side convos. One went on to say that the $1000+ AR's on the market are all trash, and that the only way to get a quality one is to build one yourself. His build components consist of a $300 upper and $200 lower, thus proving that all $1k+ AR's are garbage. One went on to explain that rails on a rifle are for Military only and are illegal for civi use. One proclaimed that anything less than a .44 Magnum is a pussy gun.

I've hated most Marines (not the Corps) since day 2 off boot camp, but this takes the cake. Tomorrow is live fire day, and I will be wearing soft armor and a concealed G26 for my safety.

Why do you do this?

I'm genuinely curious. I would have beat feet out of there.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-02-11, 18:12
Why do you do this?

I'm genuinely curious. I would have beat feet out of there.

The USMC paid $2000 for this and put me on orders after I applied. Its far too late to get out now. I have 2 weeks left of the course, and the rest will be EP and Guard Certs, so tom is the last day of firing. I applied under the assumption that it would be people like me attending...I was wrong.

misanthropist
08-02-11, 18:47
My mom reminded me during a phone call this afternoon that I have an uncle who, after a "bump in the night" house check with his recently purchased G22, cleared the gun by racking the slide, then removing the mag.

He has now got a freshly installed 1cm ventilation hole from his bedroom to the living room downstairs. So the benefits really outweigh the drawbacks, if you think about it. Very hot in the upstairs bedroom before the ventilation was installed.

BCmJUnKie
08-02-11, 19:14
A friend that lives in AZ was driving and talking to his girlfriend, he was going to pick up his son and didnt want a loaded gun in the truck.

He racks the slide to unchamber the round and drops the magazine, he goes to reset the striker (dont ask me why) and a BIG FAT OOPS! shoots his stupid hand. I love the kid but come on...HELLO McFLY! Think!

http://youtu.be/LdWbrulSXkw

aaron_c
08-02-11, 19:50
A friend that lives in AZ was driving and talking to his girlfriend, he was going to pick up his son and didnt want a loaded gun in the truck.

He racks the slide to unchamber the round and drops the magazine, he goes to reset the striker (dont ask me why) and a BIG FAT OOPS! shoots his stupid hand. I love the kid but come on...HELLO McFLY! Think!

I'll never understand how people shoot themselves doing this (though I know many do). Why would you point a weapon, loaded or unloaded or broken or nonfunctional, at yourself and pull the trigger?

Mauser KAR98K
08-02-11, 19:52
My mom reminded me during a phone call this afternoon that I have an uncle who, after a "bump in the night" house check with his recently purchased G22, cleared the gun by racking the slide, then removing the mag.

He has now got a freshly installed 1cm ventilation hole from his bedroom to the living room downstairs. So the benefits really outweigh the drawbacks, if you think about it. Very hot in the upstairs bedroom before the ventilation was installed.

Why bother even clearing the weapon.

BCmJUnKie
08-02-11, 19:58
I'll never understand how people shoot themselves doing this (though I know many do). Why would you point a weapon, loaded or unloaded or broken or nonfunctional, at yourself and pull the trigger?

I would like to know the same thing. Why....why would you do that.

QuietShootr
08-02-11, 20:33
Sadly, I have come to the conclusion that we win wars mostly not because we're hot shit, but because we suck less than everybody else. Our AVERAGE private doesn't have to be told not to wipe his ass with his hand, which is a step up from most of the people we fight.

jc75754
08-02-11, 20:35
I took a CC class in Highpoint NC and I was terrified. The instructor writes articles for the sporting section and used to shoot competitively. I am not a tier one operator but shoot regularly. There were people that had never shot in this class before. Gun safety was covered but it became evident quickly who had experience.

One told me that his Taurus TCP was the best CCW and it came with an “inconspicuous” holster like a cell phone holder. He swore that he would be able to draw and shoot faster that the Comp-Tac that I used for the class.

I shot and qualified with ease. Total we only shot 30 rds. I think as long as 19 hit the target you passed the shooting test. One guy shot with a .22 revolver that the instructor provided and he did not know how to operate the gun. He was shown how to load the gun and was told to only load 3 rds. He apparently loaded more and at the cease fire was displeased with his performance and decided to dump the rest of his cylinder into the dirt. Scared the shit out of me and other guys behind him. The instructor told him in a very calm voice, “you have two options. One leave and do not come back or apply to redo the class, or two, me and the other two guys behind you will disarm you and beat the shit out of your ignorant ass.”

He laid the pistol down on the bench and left. There was a woman there that shot skeet competitively and put many men to shame.

LHS
08-02-11, 20:56
Where to start...

I took my first CCW class at Gunsite, and overall it was an excellent program for the type. However, the clientele ranged from competent to moronic. There were some just-turned-21 college students there who only wanted to know when they could legally 'bust a cap in someone's ass'. One of them was carrying a cheap 1911 clone in an equally cheap shoulder rig, and had to be put at the far left of the line to prevent him sweeping anyone.

One lady had a Sig P232 and seemed to be doing okay until it had a failure to feed, at which point she did a 180 with the weapon leveled, sweeping half the class, and said "My gun jammed." The smart half of the class hit the gravel, the other half either didn't notice or didn't care. The instructor quickly pointed her back downrange and admonished her against doing that ever again. Then he looked at the weapon, realized it was drier than a popcorn fart, and asked when she had last lubed it. She gave him a deer-in-the-headlights look and said, "Lubed?" Turns out she'd bought the gun two days earlier and had never lubed, cleaned or shot it prior to the class.

Another mental giant had a cheap Taurus 92 clone, which he fired strong-hand-only, with the dust cover lying on the palm of his support hand. I don't know how he didn't burn himself with muzzle blast. When I mentioned this to the instructor, he just shrugged and said "When he blows a finger or two off, then he'll learn." At least that guy knew not to sweep the class.

But the creme de la creme happened when I took a co-worker out shooting. He had a Walther P22 in a cheap nylon holster, and wanted to switch the holster from left-hand to right-hand so his wife could use it. So he takes the holster, with the gun still in it, cocked and unlocked, and proceeds to press it muzzle-first against his stomach while he cuts at the webbing with a pocketknife. The other three guys there (all of us are fairly switched on) were aghast, and we tried to tell him he was going to get himself shot, but he just shrugged and said "It's in the holster." We tried to tell him that the bullet would easily go through the holster and into his guts, but he just refused to listen. We have refused to take him out shooting again.

Alpha Sierra
08-02-11, 20:57
I took a CC class in Highpoint NC and I was terrified. There were people that had never shot in this class before. Gun safety was covered but it became evident quickly who had experience.
That sounds like my CHL class. Most there couldn't shoot worth a shit

There was a woman there that shot skeet competitively and put many men to shame.
That had to be an ego crusher :D

LHS
08-02-11, 21:02
There was a woman there that shot skeet competitively and put many men to shame.

I took a BUG class from 10-8 consulting a few years back, and a female Phoenix PD officer out-shot a good chunk of the other students, much to the surprise of many. The other Phoenix PD guys were not surprised at all, nor were anyone who was active in IDPA and had seen her shoot before.

TOrrock
08-02-11, 21:04
Implied Facepalm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Funny%20stuff/implied-facepalm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Videos/th_deacopshootsself.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Videos/?action=view&current=deacopshootsself.mp4)

C-grunt
08-02-11, 21:40
I took a BUG class from 10-8 consulting a few years back, and a female Phoenix PD officer out-shot a good chunk of the other students, much to the surprise of many. The other Phoenix PD guys were not surprised at all, nor were anyone who was active in IDPA and had seen her shoot before.

I work for Phx PD and one of our shooting instructors is a woman and is one of the best shots on the department. Was her name Sarah?

TapRackBang20
08-02-11, 21:47
My CCW class was quite interesting. There was the guy who had brought his wife to get a permit with him. During the classroom portion, the instructor, an FTO with the local police, had made a statement about how 9mm and .38 were two of the most common CCW calibers. He very loudly snorted a laugh and stated that nobody in their right mind would carry anything less than a .45. At the range, they were both using some type of sub-compact 1911. His wife mentioned that she had never shot a gun before. Well, her first shot about knocked her down. I mean, she literally took about 5 steps back, waving the gun around the whole time. He wasn't much better, as he was unable to handle the recoil well. To pass, you had to get 32 of 50 rounds in a man-sized target from a range of 2-15 yards. They both had to re-shoot, on which he passed with a 32. His wife didn't. The instructor had compassion on her and let her do her third qualification with his G19. She finally passed.

Of course, this was in addition to the typical occurrences of muzzling by students, the lady who brought .38 Special rounds for her .380, and the guy bragging about the Hi-Point he got for $150. Oh, and the gentleman who had gotten a brand new XDM, the set that comes with a holster and dual mag carrier. Had his mag carrier literally directly in front of the holster. It was quite funny watching him twist and turn, trying to get another magazine out with his left hand while still holding the gun. :rolleyes:

Mauser KAR98K
08-02-11, 22:18
You know, in hindsight, if you all think these incidents are bad and worry about said folks walking around with loaded firearms, nothing in my mind could compare to the trucking academy I went to, and the folks who could not drive worth a damn got passed so the company could get their government kick-back. What is worse: a loaded firearm in a semi-competent at best permit holder, or folks with sub-standard training in a 80,000lb rig that hinges a quarter of its length?

RagweedZulu
08-02-11, 22:22
At a rcent CCW class I observed, the instructor told the class to fire while walking forward toward the targets. I guess this was tactical movement. Of course the inexperienced shooters could not stay in a line and walked right in front of other shooters' angles of fire.

An officer I work with recently went to Las Vegas with friends. Decided to leave his .32 Tomcat in the car instead of carrying it in the restaurant (stupid mistake #1). To prevent theft, he took the slide with him and left the frame in the car. (#2). After dinner he is reassembling the pistol, NOT using the tip up barrel(#3), and he's forcing the slide back on the frame, with the muzzle shoved into his left hand(#4). He then hears a loud pop, and notices that he has one more hole in him than he started with. Left ring finger perforated. LV Metro PD called out, my agency notified. Embarrassing. He is now working the front desk with a huge wrapped hand and can't be cleared to work the road again for months. Same guy once scratched his head at the range WITH THE MUZZLE OF HIS DUTY PISTOL when it failed to fire. Darwinism lives.

RagweedZulu
08-02-11, 22:27
Almost forgot! Just tonight as I'm changing out, a fellow officer tells me he only carries off duty during the holidays "cuz that's when people get weird.".

Honestly. I shit you not.

GIJew766
08-02-11, 22:50
Almost forgot! Just tonight as I'm changing out, a fellow officer tells me he only carries off duty during the holidays "cuz that's when people get weird.".

Honestly. I shit you not.

One of the guys I used to work with said the same thing.

I took a one day defensive pistol class back when I was still living in South Carolina with the youngest son of one of my neighbors. Now, his two older brothers and his father were squared away, so I was running under the assumption that this kid wasn't going to do anything stupid. I was wrong.

Standing next to him on the line was probably the least safe place on the range. His Para (that he swore by) jammed consistently and every time it did, he turned to be and flagged everyone to his left. He did the same thing when he got a good hit where he aimed his shot. As soon as the course ended, I rushed to the truck after cleaning up my gear an apologizing to the host and instructor for not being able to stick around to clean up, and left his ass there. I went to my neighbor, explained why I left his moron of a son at the range, and he just chuckled and said "Yup, I was afraid of that. I'm sorry."

And I too find that a lot of my friends from the Fleet are pretty dumb when it comes to firearms. Makes me sad.

H

LHS
08-02-11, 23:29
I work for Phx PD and one of our shooting instructors is a woman and is one of the best shots on the department. Was her name Sarah?

PM inbound.

jumpthestack
08-03-11, 01:22
I was once at a Pistol 1 class and I was seated at a table during a break, when a female student put her cocked and locked Wilson Combat 1911, in its nylon Uncle Mike's holster, on the table pointed directly at me. "It's okay, it's cleared, in case you're wondering", she announced.

Shiz
08-03-11, 06:36
This is a me story. I was new to CC. I bought a neet Uncle Mike's fabric "small of the back" holster. I went to a movie, I sat down, realized how uncomfortable the gun was in my back, started wiggling, and...pop, it came out right onto the floor. LOL i didn't know what to do...so I got on my hands and knees and started feeling around for it, muttering obscenities.

Looking back, I am hoping people thought i was just one of those rude people playing with their really heavy cell phone. I should have held it up and showed them, "not a cell, don't worry!":D

RagweedZulu
08-03-11, 06:43
We used to check out AR-15s from a cabinet for road patrol and take em in and out of the office before and after shift. One dipshit walked in one day, clumsily drops a rifle on the table in front of me and the bolt slammed home chambering a round from the mag. The muzzle was pointed at my very important (to me) chest cavity. I reached over and grabbed it by the forend as DS was reaching down to grab it by the pistol grip. He's the same AssHat that once deployed a Remington 870 over a duffle bag in the prone position at a 5150 call. He went over the air designating himself the call sign "Sniper One" and telling a nearby officer he'd be Sniper Two. The 5150 was an old man, unarmed tottering around a freeway rest area talking to himself. FacePalm.

The_Count
08-03-11, 08:10
On a recent range trip my shooting partner exclaimed, "Now that's scary.". Following his stare I noticed several beams on roof of the pistol bay had been peppered by 410 shot. That deserves a faceplam for several reasons.

On another occasion a guy shows up with is wife. He has a Glock 19, and seems to be shooting it well. He noticed me noticing him. (When new shooters arrive I always take a step back to see how they handle their firearms.) He offered to let me shoot it, stating that he had just had some work done on the trigger. I obliged, and the gun damn near went full auto on the recoil from the first shot. The trigger was so light I I pulled the trigger twice and fired five shots. I handed it back, and went to the rifle bay. His parting comment, " This setup should be perfect for home defense." That gun scared the shit out of me.

TC

RRVII
08-03-11, 08:20
I was once at a funeral, sitting beside my brother-in-law, who is a detective for a local police department. Not only is he a police officer, but grew up with guns and hunting. I noticed that he was sitting with his leg crossed, and his g27 in an ankle holster is pointing directly at me. At least he had the sense to put his feet back on the floor when I pointed it out to him. I think in some cases, people that know better let them selves get lax and are just unaware. Maybe discussions like this can remind us to stay alert and vigilant.

RRVII

RepeatDefender
08-03-11, 09:17
My facepalm moment came with a new gun/holster combo. I had never carried with the particular gun and holster.

I went about my business that day with no issues. Later when I got home and was removing the pistol from the holster, I discovered that the magazine release had been pushed. The mag was just hanging there in the magwell. If I'd had need of the gun, I'd have had only one round to use...

Ever since then, I check the fit of my holsters better and every so often while carrying, I check to make sure the mag is seated.

So a facepalm moment and learning experience.

Nephrology
08-03-11, 10:19
My facepalm moment came with a new gun/holster combo. I had never carried with the particular gun and holster.

I went about my business that day with no issues. Later when I got home and was removing the pistol from the holster, I discovered that the magazine release had been pushed. The mag was just hanging there in the magwell. If I'd had need of the gun, I'd have had only one round to use...

Ever since then, I check the fit of my holsters better and every so often while carrying, I check to make sure the mag is seated.

That's not all that abnormal. I tried the extended mag releases in my G19/G17 until i realized they were often depressed when placing them on the table/ sitting down if they were IWB. Took a file to them and now they're great. Learning needs to happen at some point. Some people, though, are just born retarded.

CDDM416
08-03-11, 11:30
" and take that gun otta your mouth"

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110109051225/mayberry/images/thumb/2/23/TheBigHouse5.jpg/649px-TheBigHouse5.jpg (http://mayberry.wikia.com/index.php?title=The_Big_House&image=TheBigHouse5-jpg)

sammage
08-03-11, 11:54
That's not all that abnormal. I tried the extended mag releases in my G19/G17 until i realized they were often depressed when placing them on the table/ sitting down if they were IWB. Took a file to them and now they're great. Learning needs to happen at some point. Some people, though, are just born retarded.

Same thing I used to do, until I started using the Vickers/TD mag release...perfect length, good texturing.

BCmJUnKie
08-03-11, 11:56

Was it a Smith M&P? Mine does that when sitting in a hard chair or if I lean against a wall. Im aware of it and check after.

lloydkristmas
08-03-11, 12:33
I was dating a girl whose brother was a COMPLETE dumbass, reminded me of something out of the Jersey Shore shows. One night her and I were out, when she gets this call....:

He's (her brother) driving down the freeway minding his own business when another driver cuts him off. He flips the bird, other driver reciprocates by swerving the vehicle toward him. Thats when this guy decides that the only logical solution is to wave around his Glock 23 in full view of the other driver, and probably at least a few other people on the road. Of course, the other driver quickly drops the issue (and probably called police)

He's laughing as he tells the story (on speakerphone at this point), convinced that his badass posturing and machismo has scared a would-be road rager back into whatever hole he came from. I explain to him in the simplest possible way that what he did was not only moronic, but highly illegal, and was not even remotely justified.

Now here's the best part - I told him in as serious of a tone as possible "The police have probably already been called by multiple drivers, so I'd suggest you get off the freeway asap and hope this doesnt turn into a VERY costly lesson for you" and hung up. I ran into him about 2 weeks later (at church, of all places) and said something along the lines of "well youre here, so I guess youre not in jail".

Thats when I get this gem:

"As soon as I got off the phone with you, I pulled over and took the gun apart. I tossed the magazine out the window, and threw the barrel in a pond on the way home"

So not only does this guy pull his 'fotay' during a petty traffic incident, he thinks that somehow tossing the loaded mag and barrel (but keeping the slide and frame) will absolve him of any guilt should he get caught. I literally laughed in his face. I suppose thats the best thing that could have happened, since this slimy piece of shit didnt need or deserve to own a weapon in the first place.

Last I heard, he sold the slide and frame to a guy for $150.

Nephrology
08-03-11, 12:39
I was dating a girl whose brother was a COMPLETE dumbass, reminded me of something out of the Jersey Shore shows. One night her and I were out, when she gets this call....:

He's (her brother) driving down the freeway minding his own business when another driver cuts him off. He flips the bird, other driver reciprocates by swerving the vehicle toward him. Thats when this guy decides that the only logical solution is to wave around his Glock 23 in full view of the other driver, and probably at least a few other people on the road. Of course, the other driver quickly drops the issue (and probably called police)

He's laughing as he tells the story (on speakerphone at this point), convinced that his badass posturing and machismo has scared a would-be road rager back into whatever hole he came from. I explain to him in the simplest possible way that what he did was not only moronic, but highly illegal, and was not even remotely justified.

Now here's the best part - I told him in as serious of a tone as possible "The police have probably already been called by multiple drivers, so I'd suggest you get off the freeway asap and hope this doesnt turn into a VERY costly lesson for you" and hung up. I ran into him about 2 weeks later (at church, of all places) and said something along the lines of "well youre here, so I guess youre not in jail".

Thats when I get this gem:

"As soon as I got off the phone with you, I pulled over and took the gun apart. I tossed the magazine out the window, and threw the barrel in a pond on the way home"

So not only does this guy pull his 'fotay' during a petty traffic incident, he thinks that somehow tossing the loaded mag and barrel (but keeping the slide and frame) will absolve him of any guilt should he get caught. I literally laughed in his face. I suppose thats the best thing that could have happened, since this slimy piece of shit didnt need or deserve to own a weapon in the first place.

Last I heard, he sold the slide and frame to a guy for $150.

LOL. He probably watched too much CSI and thought the police could trace his bullets to the barrel of his pistol :lol:

Stangman
08-03-11, 12:40
Was it a Smith M&P? Mine does that when sitting in a hard chair or if I lean against a wall. Im aware of it and check after.

Don't know about him, but I had one that did that. It was traded off shortly afterwards.

lloydkristmas
08-03-11, 12:56
LOL. He probably watched too much CSI and thought the police could trace his bullets to the barrel of his pistol :lol:

Who knows. Even more ridiculous is that no shots were fired, so I have no clue where that misguided train of logic even came from.

BCmJUnKie
08-03-11, 12:58
Don't know about him, but I had one that did that. It was traded off shortly afterwards.

I love my M&P, Im more cautious when I lean against something and check

I would buy a new holster before selling off a good shooting pistol

SteveL
08-03-11, 13:19
This has happened twice with my M&P. Both times were while I was sitting in a foldiing metal chair.

BCmJUnKie
08-03-11, 13:29
This has happened twice with my M&P. Both times were while I was sitting in a foldiing metal chair.

Ya the mag release is sensitive and it sticks out alot. The mag wont fall out though, even if its parallel to the floor. (after its been pushed and released)

You just gotta pay attention to it or get a different holster.

ST911
08-03-11, 13:35

http://images.buddytv.com/articles/jersey-shore-ronnie.jpg

Corey
08-03-11, 13:41
I taught CCW classes for several years in AZ. Had a student one time on the range load up his gun to get ready and shoot. After his pistol was loaded and chambered he realizes his ear muffs are hanging around his neck. He goes to put them on but does it while keeping the pistol in his hand! Scared the shit out of me when I saw it. Once I got him to point the gun downrange, I had him unload and he was done with the class at that point.

Stangman
08-03-11, 13:49
I love my M&P, Im more cautious when I lean against something and check

I would buy a new holster before selling off a good shooting pistol

Well at the time I had tunnel vision on another pistol & that just helped give me an excuse, lol. Although after I had the mag come loose a few times, I didn't fully trust it which kept me from carrying it. Same boat as a 1911 that hasn't been broken in & had a certain number of trouble free rounds through it. I just won't carry it if it's not reliable...

BCmJUnKie
08-03-11, 14:09
Well at the time I had tunnel vision on another pistol & that just helped give me an excuse, lol. Although after I had the mag come loose a few times, I didn't fully trust it which kept me from carrying it. Same boat as a 1911 that hasn't been broken in & had a certain number of trouble free rounds through it. I just won't carry it if it's not reliable...

Lol ya you forgot to mention that.

Its probably better then if you didnt trust it...you should feel comfortable with something you trust your life with, otherwise whats the point

jmreagan
08-03-11, 18:26
A brother of mine wanted to buy the Taurus Judge because he thought it was the ultimate anti-car jacking pistol. Thankfully, he listened to reason and went for a .45acp. When it is family or a close friend you tend to go the extra mile that you wouldn't care to do otherwise because they mean something to you. He is a good shot too so I don't know what he was thinking. I think he has a penchant for weird firearms/calibers but I've cured him of that.

MJLman
08-03-11, 18:54
First; was at my local sheriff’s range which is open twice a month to the public for 4 hours each time. You have to sign in and they check ID's. Sure enough midway into my session and a guy shows up in head to toe black getup doing his best impression of a LEO ninja and i move down two stalls to gain distance. Sure enough he pulls out a flattop with no sights and a green laser mounted up high. Proceeds to pull out his boresighter and goes through the process of repeatedly attempting to zero his laser to his POI. Continues for a few minutes, when BAM, i am peppered by the yellow paint from the shooting lanes support poles, pieces of his birdcage, and undoubtedly bits of his boresighter.
In the seconds that ensue shortly after the guy between me and the moron yells COLD, and i turn to him assuming he has had some sort of a kaboom with his hunting setup. The moron is now proceeding to pack his stuff, and we figure out that our rigs are all clear when we turn to the guy packing his stuff, and he admits to his malfunction. I bolt towards the RO and play the blame game asking him to promptly exit this hazard from the range. His info was taking by the RO and i was told he was blacklisted. ALWAYS wear eye and ear pro gentleman.
Second, the first time I took my CC course I made the nearly fatal mistake of sitting in the first row, on the first day, and sure enough...there were several individuals who showed up to class with loaded weapons in a class where we were all clearly instructed not to bring ANY ammunition.
NEVER trust those with firearms you don’t commonly associate with.

CaptainDooley
08-03-11, 19:07
I work at a large church as the video director and used to be part of a small group in which nearly half the people carried regularly - two of which were police officers.

One day, as I'm wrapping up service in the auditorium - switching things off and whatnot - the wife of our small group leader walks up to me and real quietly says, "Ummm... Kevin... if a firearm discharges in class, do we have to report it to the church?"

Of course I say yes. I verify that no one has been hurt and call our security team immediately to let them know what's going on. I meet our head of security and the uniformed police officers that were on grounds there at the class. I asked the group leader's wife who's gun discharged so I can quietly go in and get them so they can talk to the officers (since class decided to just continue on as normal). Turns out it's one of the police officers that's a member of our group.

He comes out and explains that he was carrying his Keltec P32 and during service it became uncomfortable in his holster, so he pulled it out and used the clip to attach it to his shorts in the small of his back. Then, once in class he decided to transition it back to the holster. He swears up and down that his finger was nowhere near the trigger, but before he cleared his pants, he'd blown a hole in them and sent a .32 round into the carpet.

The uniformed police officers were from a different department and older. They scolded him and basically told him to quit laughing about it because it was a dumb ass move and made them all look bad.

Two weeks later I run into him and ask him how things are going. He then proceeds to tell me that the officers on the scene filed a report with his department - whom he had neglected to notify about the incident. Once they started asking him about it, they realized that he had not qualified on the P32 to carry it off duty and that it was in fact, not even an approved firearm. He was (at the time) on a month of leave while they wrapped the investigation. At the end of the month he was fired.

Best part is, he and his wife blame me for him getting fired because I was the one who said it needed to be reported (not realizing I would have been fired if someone else found out about it and that I hadn't reported it). Whatever. He was a know-it-all douche bag anyway.

The first time I hung out with this guy he told me he carries the P32 off duty because it's impossible to successfully hide a larger gun. I asked him if I was carrying. When he said no, I smiled and lifted up my shirt to show off my M&P FS, Surefire 6p, and spare mags.

iCarbine
08-03-11, 22:24
These two stories aren't specifically CCW, but rather handguns in general.

I live near a large Army post. On one visit to a local gun shop, a soldier in uniform is buying an XD9. While the clerk calls in the instant check, the soldier is fondling his new gun. When the clerk returns, the soldier asks "What's this 9x19 mean? I see it a lot on Glocks." The clerk turns to his collegue behind the counter and asks the same question. This one responds that he doesn't really know but thinks it means 19 rounds of 9mm. At this point I decide to intervene and explain that 9x19 is 9mm Luger is 9mm Parabellum and that there are many different "9mm" cartridges ranging from 9x17 to 9x23. So he asks "So I can use all of those?" to which I replied "No. You can only use 9x19, as is clearly marked on your weapon." He gives me a glassy-eyed stare and goes back to fondling his new toy.

On two separate occasions in a different shop, I've seen a uniformed police officer checking out J-frames with no earthly idea on how to open the cylinder. Yet, in my state if you take your CHL test with a revolver, you are only licensed to carry a revolver whereas, if you pass with an auto, you can carry either.

I've also heard a gunshop owner tell a customer that Extreme Shock .380 is way better than anything in 9mm.

loupav
08-03-11, 23:33
Long story short, I go over to a friend's house to drive him to the airport. He wants to show me his .357 he uses for home defense. He gets it out of the night stand and opens the cylinder, dumps the rounds and whips the cylinder closed in a true Hollywood fashion. Points it at the wall, dry fires it and hands it over to me.

Now at the time I knew NOTHING about revolvers so I fiddle with it to get the cylinder open, once I do I see one round was stuck in the cylinder. I say: "You left one in here"
"You're joking?"
I pull out the round and show it to him. His face turned white. I didn't want to see any more guns after that. Which was probably a first for me.

Oh well.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-03-11, 23:43
Long story short, I go over to a friend's house to drive him to the airport. He wants to show me his .357 he uses for home defense. He gets it out of the night stand and opens the cylinder, dumps the rounds and whips the cylinder closed in a true Hollywood fashion. Points it at the wall, dry fires it and hands it over to me.

Now at the time I knew NOTHING about revolvers so I fiddle with it to get the cylinder open, once I do I see one round was stuck in the cylinder. I say: "You left one in here"
"You're joking?"
I pull out the round and show it to him. His face turned white. I didn't want to see any more guns after that. Which was probably a first for me.

Oh well.
That made my skin crawl. Good God.

LHS
08-04-11, 01:22
I had a friend pull out his grandfather's WWI-vintage M1917 Colt revolver, with the original leather belt and butt-forward holster, to show me. He pulled it from the holster, opened the cylinder, closed it again, and dry fired it. Ok, no big deal as of yet. Then after I fondled it and gave it back, he set it on the table pointing directly at me. When I objected to this, he scoffed and said in a condescending tone, "It's not loaded. I guess you're just not as comfortable around guns as I am."

The only time I went shooting with him, before the above incident, he was shooting dramatically low left with his XD-45. Convinced the gun was somehow to blame, he tried to drift the rear sight with a loaded AK mag for a hammer and an empty Wolf 7.62x39mm case for a punch. Before he could scar up his gun, I asked if I could try it. I put five rounds into the A-zone as fast as I could get the sights back on target and said, "The gun's fine, but your trigger control needs work." I then had him use his wife's G19 w/ CT grips and demonstrated just how horrendously El Snatcho was biting him. Strangely enough, he shot that M1917 Colt without any trigger snatch at all.

The worst part was he had no desire to learn any techniques from a 'mere civilian', as he had been 101st Airborne and thus knew everything.

QuietShootr
08-04-11, 07:38
Wow. Some of you guys hang around with ****ing retards.

Reagans Rascals
08-04-11, 08:18
Where to start...

I took my first CCW class at Gunsite, and overall it was an excellent program for the type. However, the clientele ranged from competent to moronic. There were some just-turned-21 college students there who only wanted to know when they could legally 'bust a cap in someone's ass'. One of them was carrying a cheap 1911 clone in an equally cheap shoulder rig, and had to be put at the far left of the line to prevent him sweeping anyone.

One lady had a Sig P232 and seemed to be doing okay until it had a failure to feed, at which point she did a 180 with the weapon leveled, sweeping half the class, and said "My gun jammed." The smart half of the class hit the gravel, the other half either didn't notice or didn't care. The instructor quickly pointed her back downrange and admonished her against doing that ever again. Then he looked at the weapon, realized it was drier than a popcorn fart, and asked when she had last lubed it. She gave him a deer-in-the-headlights look and said, "Lubed?" Turns out she'd bought the gun two days earlier and had never lubed, cleaned or shot it prior to the class.

Another mental giant had a cheap Taurus 92 clone, which he fired strong-hand-only, with the dust cover lying on the palm of his support hand. I don't know how he didn't burn himself with muzzle blast. When I mentioned this to the instructor, he just shrugged and said "When he blows a finger or two off, then he'll learn." At least that guy knew not to sweep the class.

But the creme de la creme happened when I took a co-worker out shooting. He had a Walther P22 in a cheap nylon holster, and wanted to switch the holster from left-hand to right-hand so his wife could use it. So he takes the holster, with the gun still in it, cocked and unlocked, and proceeds to press it muzzle-first against his stomach while he cuts at the webbing with a pocketknife. The other three guys there (all of us are fairly switched on) were aghast, and we tried to tell him he was going to get himself shot, but he just shrugged and said "It's in the holster." We tried to tell him that the bullet would easily go through the holster and into his guts, but he just refused to listen. We have refused to take him out shooting again.

the best descriptive captions thus far... popcorn fart had me rolling for about 5 minutes... kudos my kind sir.. kudos

Drew78
08-04-11, 08:39
Heres one from earlier this week...

I am at my range doing my drills with my Glock 26 and .38 snub. I get there a tad late and there is a guy on one of the lanes already shooting a .22lr rifle. I get all my eye/ear pro on and proceed into the range. I start with my .38 snubby at 21' with hammered pair drills. Doing quite well, so much in fact, I notice the guy on the other end of the lanes talking to me. I usually try to put as much distance between me and other shooters I dont know.

So, I look over at this guy and he asks if I am shooting a .45 b/c of, as he put it "the manly sound of the gun firing". WTF I think to myself... I say "nope its a .38 snubby". He asks if I am .mil and I say no just your average guy. He says I should have been in the Marines b/c I can shoot. OK I say, not knowing what to make of this guy. While staring at this guy, I notice he is not wearing ANY ear pro. Now keelp in mind we are indoors, solid concrete and steel everywhere. I wear plugs AND muffs and it is still quite noticable. So I say to this guy, where is your hearing pro? He goes on to say the following...and I shit you not....

"I was in the Marines, I dont need any ear protection"

I think, holy shit this guy somehow has magical powers. I ask, are you deaf already? He says, "No I am tough, I am a Marine" all while giving me this really creepy smirk. I say to him, ok Marine well I am going to keep shooting as I need to get back to work.

Finish up my snubby drills and move to the Glock 26. Again I am running a variety of drills and Mr. Miracle ears approaches me and complements my shooting. Great, its always nice to get a compliment and I thank him. Now he is about 5' from me and it is awkward. I am clearly just trying to get on with my shit, and he is just standing there with that creepy smirk. So I run a string and turn to him and ask if he needs something. He proceeds to point to his hip and tells me about his awsome CCW rig.

I look at it and have no idea what the hell it is, and I am a gun nerd. He goes on to tell me that it is a SIG in .22lr. What I do notice is that his holster is the kind that carrys the spare mag as part of the holster, located just in front of the pistol. I ask him how the heck he reloads if he needs to access his spare mag with his strong hand. He says he just switches hands get the mag, then switches everything back over again then loads. My brain acutually twitched trying to figure out ANY way this could work let alone be useful in a gun fight. Then he proceeds to tell me why his Sig in .22lr is the cats ass for CCW. The kicker is that he tells me that all the "classified operatives" (his words!) use .22lr for their "missions" and b/c of his Marine training he could easily "kill a man" with his .22 due to his training.

I ask what he did in the Marines, and he told me he was in the reserves (?)

WTF :confused:

The only positive is he gave me a bunch of targets when he left. I asked why dont you just keep them, and he asked me what for? So I kept them, save me a few bucks!

-Drew

QuietShootr
08-04-11, 08:56

I am at my range doing my drills with my Glock 26 and .38 snub. I get there a tad late and there is a guy on one of the lanes already shooting a .22lr rifle. I get all my eye/ear pro on and proceed into the range. I start with my .38 snubby at 21' with hammered pair drills. Doing quite well, so much in fact, I notice the guy on the other end of the lanes talking to me. I usually try to put as much distance between me and other shooters I dont know.

So, I look over at this guy and he asks if I am shooting a .45 b/c of, as he put it "the manly sound of the gun firing". WTF I think to myself... I say "nope its a .38 snubby". He asks if I am .mil and I say no just your average guy. He says I should have been in the Marines b/c I can shoot. OK I say, not knowing what to make of this guy. While staring at this guy, I notice he is not wearing ANY ear pro. Now keelp in mind we are indoors, solid concrete and steel everywhere. I wear plugs AND muffs and it is still quite noticable. So I say to this guy, where is your hearing pro? He goes on to say the following...and I shit you not....

I think, holy shit this guy somehow has magical powers. I ask, are you deaf already? He says, "No I am tough, I am a Marine" all while giving me this really creepy smirk. I say to him, ok Marine well I am going to keep shooting as I need to get back to work.

Finish up my snubby drills and move to the Glock 26. Again I am running a variety of drills and Mr. Miracle ears approaches me and complements my shooting. Great, its always nice to get a compliment and I thank him. Now he is about 5' from me and it is awkward. I am clearly just trying to get on with my shit, and he is just standing there with that creepy smirk. So I run a string and turn to him and ask if he needs something. He proceeds to point to his hip and tells me about his awsome CCW rig.

I look at it and have no idea what the hell it is, and I am a gun nerd. He goes on to tell me that it is a SIG in .22lr. What I do notice is that his holster is the kind that carrys the spare mag as part of the holster, located just in front of the pistol. I ask him how the heck he reloads if he needs to access his spare mag with his strong hand. He says he just switches hands get the mag, then switches everything back over again then loads. My brain acutually twitched trying to figure out ANY way this could work let alone be useful in a gun fight. Then he proceeds to tell me why his Sig in .22lr is the cats ass for CCW. The kicker is that he tells me that all the "classified operatives" (his words!) use .22lr for their "missions" and b/c of his Marine training he could easily "kill a man" with his .22 due to his training.

The only positive is he gave me a bunch of targets when he left. I asked why dont you just keep them, and he asked me what for? So I kept them, save me a few bucks!

-Drew

There's a guy like that (or there used to be) at the public range in Indianapolis. He worked there - was this longhair dirtbag looking guy who wore a big gold "Special Forces" signet ring and used to tell people he was SF.

I checked him out on SOCnet and of course he was a bullshitter. He actually got into the range's files, got my home address, and sent me a quasi-threatening letter telling me I'd better stop telling people he wasn't SF or else he'd sue me and then kick my ass. :rolleyes: The local range dweebs worshiped the ground this guy walked on.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-04-11, 10:13

I lost my hearing in the Marines. I wear low-pro inner ear hearing aides and everything sounds like im standing in a windy cave. When I got to the range Ive got 2 forms of ear pro on at all times because I cant afford to lose any more. This guy sounds like a giant douche.

lloydkristmas
08-04-11, 11:04

-Drew

Sounds like this guy was:

A) a poser
B) interested in sexing your butt

Drew78
08-04-11, 11:35
There's a guy like that (or there used to be) at the public range in Indianapolis. He worked there - was this longhair dirtbag looking guy who wore a big gold "Special Forces" signet ring and used to tell people he was SF.

I checked him out on SOCnet and of course he was a bullshitter. He actually got into the range's files, got my home address, and sent me a quasi-threatening letter telling me I'd better stop telling people he wasn't SF or else he'd sue me and then kick my ass. :rolleyes: The local range dweebs worshiped the ground this guy walked on.

I had never seen this "Special OP" guy before and I am at the range quite a bit. He was in his mid 50's ish, clean cut, and had a very thick Eastern European accent... everything about it was odd...

Alpha Sierra
08-04-11, 11:37

Alpha Sierra
08-04-11, 11:40

A) a poser

C) A window licker

D) A rider of this:
http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/page/shortbus-46967.jpg

Drew78
08-04-11, 11:40

A) a poser

A) The guy was most certainly a douche, poser, full r-tard, ect...

B) This is just a revolting thought :bad:

Drew78
08-04-11, 11:42
So now we have the following in the same thread:

-Dry as a popcorn fart

-and-

-window licker

Both have me rollin!!!

LHS
08-04-11, 13:14
So now we have the following in the same thread:

-Dry as a popcorn fart

-and-

-window licker

Both have me rollin!!!

I can't take credit for the popcorn fart thing, it's something Hackathorn said at the range all the time when I was growing up.

Mauser KAR98K
08-04-11, 14:03
How 'bout some visual references?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwdP__LQ8ms

The Cat
08-04-11, 14:51

My. God. the stupidity of some people.

Reagans Rascals
08-04-11, 15:59

I like when the secondary motor fails to fire on the Javelin... that's a real shit the pants kinda moment..

Nephrology
08-04-11, 15:59
Have you noticed that the vast majority of the asshattery on there involved pistol-grip shotguns and fat dudes with their shirt sleeves cut off?

ETA: what the **** was that bolt gun at the end? I've shot a .460 Weatherby Magnum and it didn't jump out of my HANDS, FFS.

I believe it was a .700 Nitro Express.

Stangman
08-04-11, 16:02
Have you noticed that the vast majority of the asshattery on there involved pistol-grip shotguns and fat dudes with their shirt sleeves cut off?

ETA: what the **** was that bolt gun at the end? I've shot a .460 Weatherby Magnum and it didn't jump out of my HANDS, FFS.

iirc,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.700_Nitro_Express

QuietShootr
08-04-11, 16:39
I like when the secondary motor fails to fire on the Javelin... that's a real shit the pants kinda moment..

Mauser KAR98K
08-04-11, 17:11
No problem. Figure I post this for any CCW instructors to bookmark and show in classes of what NOT to do.

Hootiewho
08-04-11, 17:15
Speaking of pistol grip shotguns.... I have a buddy (sheriff's deputy & a know-it-all from NYC) whom went shooting with us at a public range one day back 7 years ago. It was 2 girls, me, another LE buddy and THE God's Gift to 1. Women 2. Guns 3. Anything else imaginable. This guy was literally a mix of George Clooney in O Brother Where Art Thou & Jersey Shore. As vein as they come too. We all 3 were room mates at the time. I made the mistake of bringing a pistol grip mossberg 500 as the other squared away buddy of mine is a shotgun lover.

So we get to the public range to find we have it to ourselves. Me & the squared away buddy are about 3 tables away from the know-it-all sighting in a new Marlin .22, when I happen to look over and see said know-it-all sighting down the mossberg like a shoulder fired gun, just a millisecond before he fires. I swear it was in slow motion, the sound Nooooooooo muffled out from me by the blast. See he was showing the girls "This is how you shoot a pump shotgun!!!" without us paying him any attention, loads it up with 3" mag 000 buck and gives himself an artificial hair lip. He flares out, slings the shotgun, grabs a girls jacket and stuffs it to his mouth, freaking blood everywhere....and what's his 1st words??? "How do I look??, did it mess up my goid looks???" So my squared away buddy rushes him to the emergency room and I pack up the gear/girls & head bach to our apt. I'm sitting there waiting for them to get back, after a couple Jack & Cokes, the lightbulb in my head flickers. So I have the girls make a huge sign out of cardboard that reads.."ABSOLUTELY NO HAIR LIPS (NATURAL OR MAN MADE) ALLOWED IN THIS APARTMENT BY ORDER OF RESIDENITAL CODE 000 BUCK" & hang it out on the front door. By the time he got home I had Already had half his working shift come by to see it, tell of the incident, make photos of the sign to spread throughout the rest of the department. The look on his face when he walked up was classic!!! He'll never live it down.

SteveL
08-04-11, 17:48

Thanks for posting that. I especially enjoyed seeing one of the idiots fire a shotgun with the stock against his sack.

ache_d
08-04-11, 18:00
I don't know how you guys stand on others shooting your firearms let alone USING them but I was shooting sporting clay at a nice course in PA. I was all set and fired up to go and started out really hot until one of the guys I went with, not my closest friend ever, was finished with his older 12 GA ammo and reached into his pack for the recently purchased reminding 75 shells when he realizes that they were 20 GA so I reluctantly had to let him borrow mine for the rest of the day. I was wincing each and every time he broke it down to load it as he almost busted against the stand window. EKKKKK! My percentage took a hit because I was more worried about my walnut stock.... So, check the damn box!!

Mauser KAR98K
08-04-11, 18:20
Speaking of pistol grip shotguns.... I have a buddy (sheriff's deputy & a know-it-all from NYC) whom went shooting with us at a public range one day back 7 years ago. It was 2 girls, me, another LE buddy and THE God's Gift to 1. Women 2. Guns 3. Anything else imaginable. This guy was literally a mix of George Clooney in O Brother Where Art Thou & Jersey Shore. As vein as they come too. We all 3 were room mates at the time. I made the mistake of bringing a pistol grip mossberg 500 as the other squared away buddy of mine is a shotgun lover.

So we get to the public range to find we have it to ourselves. Me & the squared away buddy are about 3 tables away from the know-it-all sighting in a new Marlin .22, when I happen to look over and see said know-it-all sighting down the mossberg like a shoulder fired gun, just a millisecond before he fires. I swear it was in slow motion, the sound Nooooooooo muffled out from me by the blast. See he was showing the girls "This is how you shoot a pump shotgun!!!" without us paying him any attention, loads it up with 3" mag 000 buck and gives himself an artificial hair lip. He flares out, slings the shotgun, grabs a girls jacket and stuffs it to his mouth, freaking blood everywhere....and what's his 1st words??? "How do I look??, did it mess up my goid looks???" So my squared away buddy rushes him to the emergency room and I pack up the gear/girls & head bach to our apt. I'm sitting there waiting for them to get back, after a couple Jack & Cokes, the lightbulb in my head flickers. So I have the girls make a huge sign out of cardboard that reads.."ABSOLUTELY NO HAIR LIPS (NATURAL OR MAN MADE) ALLOWED IN THIS APARTMENT BY ORDER OF RESIDENITAL CODE 000 BUCK" & hang it out on the front door. By the time he got home I had Already had half his working shift come by to see it, tell of the incident, make photos of the sign to spread throughout the rest of the department. The look on his face when he walked up was classic!!! He'll never live it down.

:jester::jester::p:p:D:D:D

Too damn funny.

LHS
08-04-11, 18:27

The kid gut-shooting his dad at what looked like a wedding reception was terrifying.

Hootiewho
08-04-11, 18:29
I know it's totally off topic, but the one guys post about the mid-50's ex Marine Man Lover at the range reminded me of something. Same 2 buddies in the above story, same range, yet this time trying out a new Safety Harbor .50 BMG upper my squared away buddy got. We get there and there is one guy there, mid 50's, claiming to be an ex Navy Delta Sniper...(you know the type). Anyway, we go to the far end of where he was. One of my buddies had a Sheriff's Dept jacket on, so this older guy decides to move his stuff down to the table by us to give us his insight. Mind you, we are shooting a .50 BMG with an angle to the rear muzzle brake. This man wont shut up, we can't shoot for his constant rambling of his Mosin Nugget Sniper Rifle & how he has to wait 15 mins between shots for that "Cold Bore Shot". Finally, an hour later we have fired 0 rounds cause this man wont leave us alone, despite several STFU hints. My squared away buddy tells to us to put out ear plugs in, then very quickly plops down behind the .50 and lets off a round before that old F*er had a chance to know what happened, much less get his 1952 model ear muffs on. The blast from the break blew his hat clean off as he occupued the bench immediately to the right of us. Needless to say he STFU & moved back to the other end. So if you have a weirdo messing with you at the range, now you know an effective way to ward them off:)

jc75754
08-04-11, 18:52
That had to be an ego crusher :D[/QUOTE]

She blew me away but was very humble about the whole thing. When she fired her first mag (5 shots) it looked like two or mayble three they were grouped so close. By the way she was shooting a Colt Gold Cup Thophy.

Lost River
08-04-11, 19:44
A number of years back I was helping teach as one of the firearms instructors at the local college LE academy.

It was a rather cool spring day and we had a number of students on the line.
During a break, one of the young female cadets notices my Peltor hearing protectors and asks me if they are the type that take batteries.

To which I reply "Yes they are."

She then says " Ooh, I bet they keep your ears warm!"

:blink:

I knew she was going to get promoted quickly....

BaronFitz
08-04-11, 20:52
After shooting at the NRA HQ range for several years, I've grown to understand why some of the guys behind the counter look so sour. All it takes is a look up at the ceiling above some of the shooting booths to see holes that look like someone was celebrating Christmas in Beirut.

Had some guys come in one day and set up on the lane next to me with an assortment of low-end crap guns that seemed to all be rolled together in a single gun rug. They proceeded to run the target a few feet down, and print groups that looked like someone had flung two fistfuls of gravel at the target, shooting as fast as they could. In the meantime, their Jersey Shore clone buddies are banging on the window of the observation area with every mag dump and hollering like monkeys on speed.

I started getting seriously concerned when one dumped a mag to slide lock, then turned the weapon directly at me and studied it with the puzzled expression of a hog studying a wristwatch. I stepped back out of line, and the second one fortunately urged his friend to point it back downrange. I had a hard time concentrating after that.

I swear, if people that shot there spent more money on decent weapons, and less on cool-looking fatigue pants, they might spend more time shooting and less time clearing malfunctions.

Mauser KAR98K
08-04-11, 21:10
That had to be an ego crusher :D

She blew me away but was very humble about the whole thing. When she fired her first mag (5 shots) it looked like two or mayble three they were grouped so close. By the way she was shooting a Colt Gold Cup Thophy.[/QUOTE]

I got thrown off a police range when I was ten thanks to that particular pistol. Out shot the department's Sgt. who was the firearms instructor. Kept taughting his Glock was better. Still have, still is a tack driver.

DacoRoman
08-04-11, 21:24
I started getting seriously concerned when one dumped a mag to slide lock, then turned the weapon directly at me and studied it with the puzzled expression of a hog studying a wristwatch.

Brilliant line..

Thanks for that story...I laughed my ass off :D

mkmckinley
08-04-11, 21:28
So if you have a weirdo messing with you at the range, now you know an effective way to ward them off:)

I have a ported S&W 629 that I bring to the pistol range for that exact reason.

CaptainDooley
08-04-11, 23:46
I had nearly forgotten this one:

Several years ago I drove from the Chicago suburb I lived in to a state park range in Indiana with a friend of mine. I didn't know much about guns at the time, but I knew proper safety and handling.

The range was empty except for us for the first couple hours. Then a carload of real young guys show up - barely old enough to be at the range by themselves. Of course they set up right next to us. They have some Kalashnikov variant that they're all excited about. They fire off a few rounds and set the rifle down, still loaded. Sideways. Pointed at us. My buddy yells at them and they turn it down range. A few minutes later, I finish a string of fire on my friend's M1 and reload when I hear him talking to them again. I look over and see the muzzle pointed right at my head - and they're not moving it, they're arguing that it's unloaded. To which I reply, "Mine isn't. Point your rifle elsewhere before I point mine at you." Five minutes later, we had the range to ourselves again.

Facejackets
08-05-11, 00:47
Man....some of these are funnier than hell!

I have one that isn't...

I had a friend who picked up his first AR. He asked to come over my place so I can show him how to break it down, clean it, etc. He brought his XD40 over as well to "show me". He was trying to convince me to go shooting the following day. I kept saying "I am not sure, it depends how work goes". He started getting louder and louder saying "you ARE going shooting tomorrow". I said again "I'm not sure dude, we'll see".

Then, this bag of dicks grabs his XD, racks it and points it right at my face with the muzzle about six inches from me. At the same time, he yells "MOTHER****ER, I SAID WE ARE GOING SHOOTING TOMORROW". I had his LMT upper in my right hand, so with my left hands I grabbed the gun, pushed it down and twisted it so he wuld drop it. I held it there because he didn't try to "fight back" and he said "damn bro, calm down it was a joke!!!!" I got right into his face and said "I don't give a shit if you were joking or not, if you EVER do that again, I will shoot you. This isn't a joke, and THAT wasn't funny, do not EVER do it again".

What neither of us knew, was that my fiance heard him getting louder, so she came down down the hallway to see what was happening. When he pointed the gun at me, she drew down on him.

I should have told him to leave right there, but I didn't. It got worse.

We were talking a short while later, and he picked up his XD, puts a mag in it, racks it, then pops the mag out. He has his finger ON the trigger. He covers my dogs and I a few times and I say "Dan, is that loaded?" "Of course it isn't!!!!" he says back.

He racks the slide and a Speer Gold Dot comes flying out of the ejection port ontop my dining room table. "oh, oops, sorry".

I ended the night right there, and haven't talked to the guy since.

lloydkristmas
08-05-11, 01:08
Man....some of these are funnier than hell!

I have one that isn't...

I had a friend who picked up his first AR. He asked to come over my place so I can show him how to break it down, clean it, etc. He brought his XD40 over as well to "show me". He was trying to convince me to go shooting the following day. I kept saying "I am not sure, it depends how work goes". He started getting louder and louder saying "you ARE going shooting tomorrow". I said again "I'm not sure dude, we'll see".

Then, this bag of dicks grabs his XD, racks it and points it right at my face with the muzzle about six inches from me. At the same time, he yells "MOTHER****ER, I SAID WE ARE GOING SHOOTING TOMORROW". I had his LMT upper in my right hand, so with my left hands I grabbed the gun, pushed it down and twisted it so he wuld drop it. I held it there because he didn't try to "fight back" and he said "damn bro, calm down it was a joke!!!!" I got right into his face and said "I don't give a shit if you were joking or not, if you EVER do that again, I will shoot you. This isn't a joke, and THAT wasn't funny, do not EVER do it again".

What neither of us knew, was that my fiance heard him getting louder, so she came down down the hallway to see what was happening. When he pointed the gun at me, she drew down on him.

I should have told him to leave right there, but I didn't. It got worse.

We were talking a short while later, and he picked up his XD, puts a mag in it, racks it, then pops the mag out. He has his finger ON the trigger. He covers my dogs and I a few times and I say "Dan, is that loaded?" "Of course it isn't!!!!" he says back.

He racks the slide and a Speer Gold Dot comes flying out of the ejection port ontop my dining room table. "oh, oops, sorry".

I watched an older gentleman THROW some punk kid's WASR (or maybe SKS, I dont know) downrange after he got muzzle swept for the 3rd or 4th time. He didnt stop yelling until the kid was in his car and driving away. I bet the guy had a skid mark in his pants the size of the nile river

DocH
08-05-11, 05:49
Great moments in gun shop history.
Ole' boy wore nothing but overalls and always hung out at a local gunshop and wanted to sit behind the counter all the time. He was always waving guns around in all directions.My friend, the owner had a talk with him about it after several complaints from customers including myself.
The owner passed away from cancer a few years ago,his son took over and when the hillbilly got laid off he gave him a job.Running the gun store.
I walked in one day and he wanted to show me his 10mm. Some kind of off brand,big heavy steel pistol. He carefully dropped the mag and cleared the chamber ,and wanted me to try the trigger,said he had a good gunsmith slick it up for him.
I declined,and he reinserted the mag,had the pistol pointed toward the floor and racked the slide to chamber a round. BANG!
It fired and the round went through the rubber mat behind the counter and hit the concrete floor underneath.A piece of the Silvertip jacket landed on the counter and another piece apparently went past my face,as I found it on the floor as I started to leave.
My first reaction was to shoot him and I was halfway cleared from the holster before I caught myself.
He just stood there with a stupid dumbfounded look on his face.
I walked out and havn't retured to that shop. Been about two years.

AMMOTECH
08-05-11, 07:39
:p

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_southeast_valley/chandler/chandler-man-accidentally-shoots-himself-in-penis

CHANDLER, AZ - Chandler police say a 27-year-old man accidentally shot himself in the groin outside a grocery store Tuesday night.

According to the police report, the man had his fiancee's pink pistol tucked in the front waistband of his pants when the gun accidentally fired.

The bullet hit the man's penis and then went through one of his legs.

:jester:

The_Count
08-05-11, 07:45

Hogsgunwild
08-05-11, 10:13
The kid gut-shooting his dad at what looked like a wedding reception was terrifying.

That was my favorite shot. If he was dumb enough to let his two-year-old get his loaded gun after setting such a bright example (firing into the air) in front of him, then, I believe that he deserved the "self gene pool chlorination" that the son performed on him.

dougwg
08-05-11, 10:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj6FQc3ciKs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7W2oaS0IUc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Iv3vitAck

JSantoro
08-05-11, 11:15
After shooting at the NRA HQ range for several years, I've grown to understand why some of the guys behind the counter look so sour. All it takes is a look up at the ceiling above some of the shooting booths to see holes that look like someone was celebrating Christmas in Beirut.

FACT. I imagine a significant percentage of those have appeared on the weekends when the Dulles goon-show is going on, and you have a stadium's worth of gun owners so new that they squeak when they turn quickly descend on the range like a biblical horde of locusts...

Too many stories....but one related to CCW...sorta...

March/April of this year, at NRA HQ, I noticed a guy in a shoot-me-first vest in the lane to my right that took it upon himself to ignore the "no shoulder holsters" rule. Like with the "wait until the first door is closed before exiting the range" rule, seeing that one ignored just makes something in my head go SNAP, but worse, because it took me at least 4 draws of his to notice that he'd been muzzling me the whole time. Bad on me for over-focusing on what I was doing.

I HAD to have had my blindly-enraged-NCO look on my face (beetled brows, teeth bared, nose scrunched up like somebody was holding a fresh dog turd under my nose...) when -- having stepped behind him and waited until he was done with his 6-round Death Blossom group to tap him on the shoulder -- he turned around.

Hey (explitive), didja MISS the "no shoulder holsters" brief, or ignore it? You've flagged me on every draw you've done!
DON'T! POINT! THAT THING! AT ANYBODY ELSE! AGAIN!!!!

Turn and stalk off to let the range staff know. Needn't have bothered, one was already on the way out, so I went back to my lane and just glared through the glass as the staffer told the guy to leave; I just wanted him to stop drawing from that damned holster, but hey... Heard a snippet from the douche: "He *BANG*BANG* to KILL me...*BOOM*!" (shotgun)

Backstory: I'd just come from work at a range aboard Quantico, and was practicing pistol transitions, using a bluegun carbine. Muddied knees & elbows, hands all dinged-up from messing with machine guns, wearing my well-used 1st-line belt with it's dirty "Hey, F**k Face" pach...I was a mess. A visibly pissed-off mess. So, when I'd stepped to the idiot, I'd put my left hand over the RE of the rubber ducky to stabilize it while moving (habit, my carbine never just hangs), and rested my right atop my pistol holster....because that's what you DO with that hand when you have a gun on your hip. :p

So...yeah...I can see why he'd interpret that the way he did.

I've been going there almost weekly for the last 3 years, and people notice trends, so I barked a terse chunk of laughter when the staffer said "That guy? If he'd *BANGBANG* to shoot you, *BANGBANGBANG* leaving in the ambulance I'd have had to call, *BANG*stead of walking!"

Classic me, immaturity....once he'd gathered his stuff to leave, I motioned for him to stop as he turned away, put up a "wait a moment" index finger while I stuck my left hand in my thigh pocket, pretended to fish around in it, pulled out my hand and flipped him off while hamming up extreme surprise at having found an obscene gesture in my pocket (Ooohh, THAT'S where I left it!).

LHS
08-05-11, 11:40
That was my favorite shot. If he was dumb enough to let his two-year-old get his loaded gun after setting such a bright example (firing into the air) in front of him, then, I believe that he deserved the "self gene pool chlorination" that the son performed on him.

Oh I have zero pity for the window licker, but that kid is going to be messed up for life.

Hogsgunwild
08-05-11, 12:13

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_southeast_valley/chandler/chandler-man-accidentally-shoots-himself-in-penis

CHANDLER, AZ - Chandler police say a 27-year-old man accidentally shot himself in the groin outside a grocery store Tuesday night.

According to the police report, the man had his fiancee's pink pistol tucked in the front waistband of his pants when the gun accidentally fired.

Ooooh, Man Card REVOKED!

Note to self: Do not attempt to Mexican Appendix Carry, especially with a pink pistol.

I use to live two miles from there. I hope this isn't my renter...

And how on earth did that LEO keep a straight face while stating on camera that the guy shot himself in the penis?
A consummate professional no-less.

Hogsgunwild
08-05-11, 12:21
Oh I have zero pity for the window licker, but that kid is going to be messed up for life.

Truly, that is the sad part. Hopefully the boy is too young to remember it like, perhaps, a five-year-old would. Sad as it is for the boy, at least the dad took the bullet and not the child.

Austerity
08-05-11, 15:44

I think I just peed on myself a little.

GIJew766
08-05-11, 16:55
He covers my dogs and I a few times and I say "Dan, is that loaded?" "Of course it isn't!!!!" he says back.

Had one like that a while back. My pup came walking in from the house while my former friend and I were cleaning some pretty fouled firearms after a weekend full of shooting. Roxxy started snipping at the ankles of his pants (she was about 8 months old at this point) and he dropped the slide on the pistol and pointed it at my dog. Next thing I knew, my roommate was coming through the door with his gun because he heard "sounds of a struggle" in the garage. What he heard was me snap-kicking him off of his stool at the workbench and into my toolbox, which tipped over.

Haven't seen that piece of crap since, and I have no intention of it either.

H

Palmguy
08-05-11, 18:19
...snip...

I've been going there almost weekly for the last 3 years, and people notice trends, so I barked a terse chunk of laughter when the staffer said "That guy? If he'd *BANGBANG* to shoot you, *BANGBANGBANG* leaving in the ambulance I'd have had to call, *BANG*stead of walking!"

Classic me, immaturity....once he'd gathered his stuff to leave, I motioned for him to stop as he turned away, put up a "wait a moment" index finger while I stuck my left hand in my thigh pocket, pretended to fish around in it, pulled out my hand and flipped him off while hamming up extreme surprise at having found an obscene gesture in my pocket (Ooohh, THAT'S where I left it!).

You, sir, win the internet today.

Freaking awesome.

Hogsgunwild
08-05-11, 18:53
You, sir, win the internet today.

Freaking awesome.

+1

One gomer successfully defused with style.

That would have been a great example for one of those job interview questions like: "Tell me about a time when you had a dispute, problem or negative encounter and changed it into something positive?"

goodoleboy
08-05-11, 19:16
When considering a handgun for self defense, don't consider any caliber that doesn't start with a .4 (salesman at a local gunshop) :rolleyes:

goodoleboy
08-05-11, 20:29
Ooooh, Man Card REVOKED!

Note to self: Do not attempt to Mexican Appendix Carry, especially with a pink pistol.

I use to live two miles from there. I hope this isn't my renter...

And how on earth did that LEO keep a straight face while stating on camera that the guy shot himself in the penis?
A consummate professional no-less.

I think any man carrying a pink pistol deserves to be shot in the penis, in the hopes that he will no longer be able to pass on his genes and further contaminate our gene pool.

RancidSumo
08-05-11, 21:58
What scares me is that several of the CC courses you guys have mentioned only require you to hit slightly more than 50% of the time at pretty close distances with, I'm assuming, little to no time pressure....and people still fail it. I don't think those people should be banned from carrying a gun but I think they should be smart enough to figure out what the sights are for before they start carrying a pistol.

williejc
08-05-11, 22:20
Hearing that young Marines and soldiers display careless and downright dangerous weapons handling dismays me. As a retired teacher, I'm aware that many kids and young adults do not or can not follow directions. Many are angered when told what to do or not to do. Quite a few are hyper-active and have an attention-deficit disorder.

Idiots who mishandle guns have been allowed to do so from day 1 of instruction all the way up to the point where you see them at ranges. Perhaps Bill Ruger was right when he wrote in 1973 that today's consumerism has allowed the untrained and the unfamiliar(gun-wise)to buy firearms and that many of these folks have unsafe habits. Ruger's point was that he was changing the old model single actions to a new model which would allow this revolver to be safely carried with 6 rounds. With the old model, some shooters were having AD's if dropping it or banging against the hammer with a round under the hammer.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-05-11, 22:40
Hearing that young Marines and soldiers display careless and downright dangerous weapons handling dismays me. As a retired teacher, I'm aware that many kids and young adults do not or can not follow directions. Many are angered when told what to do or not to do. Quite a few are hyper-active and have an attention-deficit disorder.

Idiots who mishandle guns have been allowed to do so from day 1 of instruction all the way up to the point where you see them at ranges. Perhaps Bill Ruger was right when he wrote in 1973 that today's consumerism has allowed the untrained and the unfamiliar(gun-wise)to buy firearms and that many of these folks have unsafe habits. Ruger's point was that he was changing the old model single actions to a new model which would allow this revolver to be safely carried with 6 rounds. With the old model, some shooters were having AD's if dropping it or banging against the hammer with a round under the hammer.

We dont all behave that like, just the idiot minority. Have no fear.

Alpha Sierra
08-06-11, 08:17
. As a retired teacher, I'm aware that many kids and young adults do not or can not follow directions. Many are angered when told what to do or not to do. Quite a few are hyper-active and have an attention-deficit disorder.
And the rest of society does not give a crap why they can't or won't follow directions.

When they cross the line they will get thumped, either by the legal system, by the person they trespass against, or both.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-06-11, 16:01
No.

I've gotten to this camp as well. Over 20 years of trying to help, and then having people get butt hurt when I make suggestions, has lead me to let most people fair for themselves unless it's someone I know and who I think will understand that I'm not insulting them, but that they need to put down the "Cheaper than Dirt" catalogue and stop taking what they read in the gun press as gospel.

This. I work in a gun shop. My management is good to me and so is the company so, I'm good to them. We sell a variety of firearms and accessories and thus, when some retard walks in with his inbred sister and son with three eyes wanting to buy a raging judge because it offers "superior stopping power" and you "ain't even gotta aim it." I grab the gun, a 4473 and as many boxes of PDX1 as I can sell them; because there's absolutely no hope whatsoever of saving them from their own stupidity, plus it's just not worth my time. Same thing goes if some idiot wants to spend $1500.00 on a DPMS. If they ask me what I would recommend, I'll always point to the SR-25 or the MWS but 99 out of 100 times I'll get an "oh well I don't want to spend $4,000 on the rifle an another $2,000 on optics, DPMS is just as good." Then they see that DPMS for $1500 and that ginormas Bushnell scope for $250 and their eyes just light up. I just write them off at that point. I tried. I'm selling guns which makes my employer happy, which makes me happy.

I love nice guns and I get really excited when I get a customer that knows there stuff or is willing to listen, I'll go the extra mile for that person. I've given up on trying to convert people, it's a waste of my time, my air and my energy. I just write idiots off. I've got plenty of friends as it is. Something I've learned from working in the gun business..."There's an ass for every seat" and "a fool and his money will soon be parted."

Nephrology
08-06-11, 16:19
This. I work in a gun shop. My management is good to me and so is the company so, I'm good to them. We sell a variety of firearms and accessories and thus, when some retard walks in with his inbred sister and son with three eyes wanting to buy a raging judge because it offers "superior stopping power" and you "ain't even gotta aim it." I grab the gun, a 4473 and as many boxes of PDX1 as I can sell them; because there's absolutely no hope whatsoever of saving them from their own stupidity, plus it's just not worth my time. Same thing goes if some idiot wants to spend $1500.00 on a DPMS. If they ask me what I would recommend, I'll always point to the SR-25 or the MWS but 99 out of 100 times I'll get an "oh well I don't want to spend $4,000 on the rifle an another $2,000 on optics, DPMS is just as good." Then they see that DPMS for $1500 and that ginormas Bushnell scope for $250 and their eyes just light up. I just write them off at that point. I tried. I'm selling guns which makes my employer happy, which makes me happy.

I love nice guns and I get really excited when I get a customer that knows there stuff or is willing to listen, I'll go the extra mile for that person. I've given up on trying to convert people, it's a waste of my time, my air and my energy. I just write idiots off. I've got plenty of friends as it is. Something I've learned from working in the gun business..."There's an ass for every seat" and "a fool and his money will soon be parted."

My friend who inspired this thread once bought over $1000 dollars in a single day on Kel-tec products. 2 PF9s and one of their abominable Sub2000s. I mean they aren't a Jennings or anything but christ, I have seen SuperSoakers better built than kel-tec handguns.

edit: He also LOVES DPMS. Says they are the most accurate .308 out there.

LHS
08-06-11, 17:14
I once heard a gun shop owner say that he stocked and sold hi-points so that he could afford to stock things like DD and HK.

QuietShootr
08-06-11, 22:07
My old man has a friend like that. Guy has an SKS with one of those fake grenade launchers on it, NcStar scope and laser with about three feet of tape switch cord hanging off the side, bayonet... all sitting in a nice Tapco stock. It makes me sick just thinking about it. The guy thinks it's the coolest ****ing rifle ever, along with.... His Keltec Sub 2000. Claims that they are both way better than that pos M4 carbine Colt makes.

Cheap guns are where most of the sales are. You, me, and all the other people on this board with common sense and an IQ above 3.5 like to buy nice stuff and will save up for it, but the vast majority of guns that sell are cheap guns. Handguns are what sell the most and of those the ones we sell the most of are Hi Points, Sigmas, Taurus, Sig P250's and SP2022's, LCP's, Bodyguards, LC 9's and SR9's/40. Also lots of Glock, M&P and XD's.

It seems to me that we sell more Hi Points, Sigmas, LCP's and Bodyguards than anything else, with Sigmas and LCP's probably being close to king.

The things that we sell the least of are HK followed by the Sig classic line and Beretta. The cheap guns are what keep things going and allow us to buy nice guns to sell to the few people that will actually appreciate them. Unfortunately it seems as though people like us who buy quality guns for serious purposes, or really just quality guns, are in the minority.

Most people are cheap as all get out. They will walk out the front door because Buds is selling a gun for $20.00 cheaper and we wont match it.... Do you really expect these people to spend another $100 and buy a colt because it has a superior barrel steel as well as being HP and MPI? 99% of the people I talk to don't even know what the **** milspec means, they think Bushmaster and DPMS make guns for the military, that 1/9 is a better twist rate, AR-15's need to be meticulously cleaned (as they aren't very reliable) and that gas piston guns are superior. They think that we should dump the M4 and go back to the M14 or the ACR, SCAR.. you name it. How the hell do you expect an idiot like that to pay all this extra money for a nice rifle? Much less put nice optics on it. I can count the number of truely nice AR's or other tactical rifles that have been brought into the store on one hand over the past 6 months.

Truth be told the only people who are really willing to spend the money for a nice gun are those (like us) who have come to places like this and done their research; people who know what they are getting and are serious about their weapons. The crowed that frequents here, attends shooting courses by legitimate instructors/schools and takes shooting/training/weapons seriously accounts for probably less than 5% of gun owners.

There are shops out there that cater to that demographic. This is one of the best, no shit.

http://www.elmoresfirearms.com/why_were_different

Mauser KAR98K
08-06-11, 22:45
Where I live, I would jizz in my pants if I saw any Magpul, DD, or even Noveske. Always shit salesman with mouth a full of samples pushing Bushamster, DPMS and RRA at my local gun shops.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-06-11, 22:56
My friend who inspired this thread once bought over $1000 dollars in a single day on Kel-tec products. 2 PF9s and one of their abominable Sub2000s. I mean they aren't a Jennings or anything but christ, I have seen SuperSoakers better built than kel-tec handguns.

edit: He also LOVES DPMS. Says they are the most accurate .308 out there.

My old man has a friend like that. Guy has an SKS with one of those fake grenade launchers on it, NcStar scope and laser with about three feet of tape switch cord hanging off the side, bayonet... all sitting in a nice Tapco stock. It makes me sick just thinking about it. The guy thinks it's the coolest ****ing rifle ever, along with.... His Keltec Sub 2000. Claims that they are both way better than that pos M4 carbine Colt makes.

I once heard a gun shop owner say that he stocked and sold hi-points so that he could afford to stock things like DD and HK.

Cheap guns are where most of the sales are. You, me, and all the other people on this board with common sense and an IQ above 3.5 like to buy nice stuff and will save up for it, but the vast majority of guns that sell are cheap guns. Handguns are what sell the most and of those the ones we sell the most of are Hi Points, Sigmas, Taurus, Sig P250's and SP2022's, LCP's, Bodyguards, LC 9's and SR9's/40. Also lots of Glock, M&P and XD's.

It seems to me that we sell more Hi Points, Sigmas, LCP's and Bodyguards than anything else, with Sigmas and LCP's probably being close to king.

The things that we sell the least of are HK followed by the Sig classic line and Beretta. The cheap guns are what keep things going and allow us to buy nice guns to sell to the few people that will actually appreciate them. Unfortunately it seems as though people like us who buy quality guns for serious purposes, or really just quality guns, are in the minority.

Most people are cheap as all get out. They will walk out the front door because Buds is selling a gun for $20.00 cheaper and we wont match it.... Do you really expect these people to spend another $100 and buy a colt because it has a superior barrel steel as well as being HP and MPI? 99% of the people I talk to don't even know what the **** milspec means, they think Bushmaster and DPMS make guns for the military, that 1/9 is a better twist rate, AR-15's need to be meticulously cleaned (as they aren't very reliable) and that gas piston guns are superior. They think that we should dump the M4 and go back to the M14 or the ACR, SCAR.. you name it. How the hell do you expect an idiot like that to pay all this extra money for a nice rifle? Much less put nice optics on it. I can count the number of truely nice AR's or other tactical rifles that have been brought into the store on one hand over the past 6 months.

Truth be told the only people who are really willing to spend the money for a nice gun are those (like us) who have come to places like this and done their research; people who know what they are getting and are serious about their weapons. The crowed that frequents here, attends shooting courses by legitimate instructors/schools and takes shooting/training/weapons seriously accounts for probably less than 5% of gun owners.

jc75754
08-07-11, 08:59

I know exactley what you mean. This is my third year teaching and the thought of some of the kids even handling a gun scares me. On the other hand there are a few that can handle a gun. I have taken two or three students shooting. The smile on their face was worth every penny. The parents even joined in on a later date.

ST911
08-08-11, 16:14

Margin is sometimes better on junk. Manufacturer incentives to the shop and employees are frequent on several models.

Six Feet Under
08-08-11, 22:55
NEVER trust those with firearms you don’t commonly associate with.

And to add on to this, make sure that those you commonly associate with around firearms are actually SAFE.

The fact that I had never seen one of my friends do anything unsafe prior to him shooting me in the elbow from a foot away did not actually keep him from shooting me in the elbow from a foot away, it just added to the surprise when he did it.

polydeuces
08-09-11, 01:14
Facepalm moment:
During Basic Safety introduction I spent about 15-20 minutes discussing "muzzle awareness and direction".
First student is given a "blue" pistol. And he proceeds to sweep me, as well as every other student in the class. As I expected he would - as bad as this was, it was a "wonderful teaching moment":alcoholic:, clearly showing the difference between me blabbering about something, and them actual putting in practice of it.

All these stories convinced me I'm not paranoid and will keep teaching CWP classes the way I've been:
Operating from the basic assumption that most novice/untrained shooters will do every stupid thing possible which will result in (bad) themselves, (worse) other students (horrific) me getting shot I keep these few simple rules without any exceptions:
No More than 4 students.
Student's guns (if they have them) stay at home. Or in their car. Never in class room.
No live ammo in class-room. Ever. (basic stuff)
Safety rules will be drilled ALL DAY LONG - no one will pass unless they demonstrate they have full and complete grasp of them. (no money back - don't punish me if you're stupid or dangerous...).
If you're safe - you pass. Don't give a flying **** if you can't hit the broad side of a barn - i am teaching you how to be safe, not to be a MarksMan (Person?) Which would be a completely different class:"Learning how to shoot like a Pro in 3 easy steps", (Crazy Mad Trigger Skills, Super Duper Sight Picture, Have All the Right Accessories), if you desire to.
The only time a student handles a loaded gun, on the range, is one at a a time, following my commands, while being in their immediate presence. As per basic assumption.
And my favorite: never teach at an indoor public range - there's too many idiots that are NOT your students, and therefore you have no control over their limitless stupidity.
This so far has kept the entire teaching-thing pleasant and safe. So far.....;):alcoholic:

okie john
08-09-11, 09:54
And my favorite: never teach at an indoor public range

I'd amend that to never even GO to an indoor public range. I worked on them for years, and you can see people's IQ drop as they walk in the door.

Okie John

slustan
08-09-11, 11:53
I'd amend that to never even GO to an indoor public range. I worked on them for years, and you can see people's IQ drop as they walk in the door.

Okie John

Wholeheartedly agree. I've been muzzle swept and seen more moronic things at a public indoor range than I've ever thought was humanly possible. The indoor range by me is what prompted me to purchase some soft armor, so I could go there. Now if I need to go I do so when I know no one else is going to be there. They will let you shoot anything in there as well. I've seen .375 H&H and .416 rigbys being touched off. It is not fun.

Sorry didn't mean for the thread drift, just kind of goes hand and hand with facepalm worthy moments I've experienced.

okie john
08-09-11, 11:57
The indoor range by me is what prompted me to purchase some soft armor, so I could go there.

You wanna see stupid, wait until the tour bus full of Japanese tourists pulls up out front every other Tuesday night.

I'll be in my bunker if you need me.

Okie John

JSantoro
08-09-11, 13:42
Wholeheartedly agree. I've been muzzle swept and seen more moronic things at a public indoor range than I've ever thought was humanly possible.

Hell, that's any public range, but I'll admit to feeling some ineffible quality to the hijinks people pull at an indoor one.

Maybe because they're more often than not climate-controlled, the sisies that shudder at the thought of an outdoor range and get all of their gun-handling training by beating off to the BS Antonio Banderas pulls in "Desperado" are far more likely to show up at the indoor ones.

Whatever it is, I'll go the NRA and SEG because they're available, but I'm way more likely to go between 1800-2200 IOT spend more time shooting, and less time suffused with the desire to Falcon Punch the people around me.

okie john
08-09-11, 14:00
Whatever it is, I'll go the NRA and SEG because they're available, but I'm way more likely to go between 1800-2200 IOT spend more time shooting, and less time suffused with the desire to Falcon Punch the people around me.

I'm lucky enough to live where I can go into the woods and get serious about things. I HATE public ranges.

OK, yeah, so the Green River Killer did leave some bodies up there back in the day, but I'd rather take my chances there than on a public indoor range.

Okie John

tbaker
08-09-11, 14:02
E-mail right after lunch from a co-worker who will be taking his CCW/CHL this weekend. Not really sure why I kept the email going. *Note: the smiley faces are from his email, not my adding of them
-----
Him: (notice the lack of a 'please') Hey, can you do me a favor and bring me your safety goggles and earphones tomorrow. The CHL class has been rescheduled for this weekend, and I’d like to borrow your gear. Thanks.

Me: (trying to be polite) OK, um sure, I will bring you those items tomorrow. Need anything else? Or just what is mentioned?

Him: Any .380 ammo, or a holster. :) I’ve attached what we need, check it out. Other than that, I think I’m good bro.

Me: I don’t own any .380 pistols, so my holsters would do you no good. As for the ammunition, guess you could try Academy ... or Wal-Mart.

Him: No prob. I’m just gonna have to get off my cheap ass and buy some. I hate to buy ammo that I’m putting in targets, and not someone’s ass. :) :) Thanks for the hookup bro. I appreciate cha. I’ll have it back to you on Monday morning.

Me: Maybe you should re-think your taking of a CHL class and re-evaluate why you want to carry in the first place.

Him: (notice his reply in no way shows concern) Yeah, all I need is 50 rounds. I’ll hit it up tonight. I have half a box, plus two clips loaded already at the house. No worries. I was gonna hit Academy, or Gander Mountain, I didn’t think about Walmart.
-----
At this point I quit reading his email. I hate my co-workers. :suicide:

turdbocharged
08-09-11, 14:30
At this point I quit reading his email. I hate my co-workers.

I have met many people with this mentality lately. I can also spot them from a mile away at the gun shows. I always go on rants about how damned cheap,careless,ignorant, and unsafe people are in general. Usually it falls on deaf ears.

If I can't afford something I just don't buy it. Or I'll put it on layaway up at my local FFL. I think I'm the only customer there who has ever asked them to find me a Colt.

One thing I've noticed about the masses is that they would rather have five gazillion El Cheapo handguns/ rifles, instead of a small stable of quality grade weapons. They don't understand that weapons are tools, not some conversation piece to brag about with Bubba, or his son who plays COD.

bubba04
08-09-11, 14:50
http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/2011/08/07/20110807cr-penisshot0811.html

how about this. Dude shoots his penis with a pink gun.

Reagans Rascals
08-09-11, 14:55
What scares me is that several of the CC courses you guys have mentioned only require you to hit slightly more than 50% of the time at pretty close distances with, I'm assuming, little to no time pressure....and people still fail it. I don't think those people should be banned from carrying a gun but I think they should be smart enough to figure out what the sights are for before they start carrying a pistol.

In PA, there is no class requirement to get your CCW permit. Just go in, pay $20 and fill out a form, they send you a post card in the mail when its ready, you go back and pay another $5 and you are free to rule the streets as Judge Dread..... HOW DO YOU PLEAD?

PaulL
08-09-11, 14:59
The pink penis pistol reminded me of this... Dude shows up to the local range with a pink P22 in his pants and proceeds to get busy with his big box of cheap .22. I ignored him after the initial "that guy is actually carrying a PINK P22" moment. After a while I hear "click-click-click-click-click-click" from down the line. When I look, this mouth-breather is covering me and actually PULLING THE TRIGGER. While I'm backpedaling off the line he ejects a live round from the chamber, still pointing the weapon to his left. Apparently, he thought this was the proper way to diagnose and rectify a FTF. I "corrected" him and left. In retrospect, I should have shot him twice in the face. Hindsight is 20/20.

I fear this type of person is becoming a typical example of the modern CHL holder. I have met a frightening number of people who shouldn't be allowed to drive or reproduce that carry a gun on their person or in their vehicle every day. My biggest fear is that I will have to use my weapon one day and one of these imbeciles will shoot me from the sidelines.

Mauser KAR98K
08-09-11, 15:04
E-mail right after lunch from a co-worker who will be taking his CCW/CHL this weekend. Not really sure why I kept the email going. *Note: the smiley faces are from his email, not my adding of them
-----
Him: (notice the lack of a 'please') Hey, can you do me a favor and bring me your safety goggles and earphones tomorrow. The CHL class has been rescheduled for this weekend, and I’d like to borrow your gear. Thanks.

Me: (trying to be polite) OK, um sure, I will bring you those items tomorrow. Need anything else? Or just what is mentioned?

Him: Any .380 ammo, or a holster. :) I’ve attached what we need, check it out. Other than that, I think I’m good bro.

Me: I don’t own any .380 pistols, so my holsters would do you no good. As for the ammunition, guess you could try Academy ... or Wal-Mart.

Him: No prob. I’m just gonna have to get off my cheap ass and buy some. I hate to buy ammo that I’m putting in targets, and not someone’s ass. :) :) Thanks for the hookup bro. I appreciate cha. I’ll have it back to you on Monday morning.

Me: Maybe you should re-think your taking of a CHL class and re-evaluate why you want to carry in the first place.

Him: (notice his reply in no way shows concern) Yeah, all I need is 50 rounds. I’ll hit it up tonight. I have half a box, plus two clips loaded already at the house. No worries. I was gonna hit Academy, or Gander Mountain, I didn’t think about Walmart.
-----
At this point I quit reading his email. I hate my co-workers. :suicide:

Maybe you should post this in the training thread and tie it into: "How to distance yourself from idiot shooters.":alcoholic:

turdbocharged
08-09-11, 15:10
I fear this type of person is becoming a typical example of the modern CHL holder. I have met a frightening number of people who shouldn't be allowed to drive or reproduce that carry a gun on their person or in their vehicle every day. My biggest fear is that I will have to use my weapon one day and one of these imbeciles will shoot me from the sidelines.

I agree wholeheartedly. My wife holds a philosophy that you should pass a test before anyone can have kids. There are far too many stupid individuals in society. You want to see a funny and scary example of stupid infecting the world, watch the movie Idiocracy. It's like the Wal Mart people have taken over!

okie john
08-09-11, 15:17
One thing I've noticed about the masses is that they would rather have five gazillion El Cheapo handguns/ rifles, instead of a small stable of quality grade weapons.

Troof.

Posers buy guns. Shooters buy ammo.

Okie John

CQC.45
08-09-11, 15:37
I think it's important to point out that these individuals are in the vast minority. Most of the firearm owners I know and associate myself with are intelligent, safe, and professional.

The only thing I can think of when I see this thread is that it would be the anti-gunner's dream to run across something like this...

Just something to think about.

QuietShootr
08-09-11, 16:37
I think it's important to point out that these individuals are in the vast minority. Most of the firearm owners I know and associate myself with are intelligent, safe, and professional.

The only thing I can think of when I see this thread is that it would be the anti-gunner's dream to run across something like this...

Just something to think about.

Yeah - well, the answer to that is this: Even if every one of these assclowns mentioned in this thread has a thousand children just like him, that has Jack and Shit to do with my right to own, carry, and bear arms. Freedom isn't free - one of the costs is that even the asswipes who don't deserve it have it too - otherwise it's not freedom.

brian704
08-09-11, 17:03
i normally dont post here, but i love this thread.... i use to go to the range with friends but after alot of reading and learning my self i wont go with anyone, but one and he is a fire arms instructor for the sheriffs dept.

i had one friend his father and i where taking him shooting and my friend kept saying he knew all about guns and his father thought him all this shit.

we go to the range and he has his finger all over the trigger and i say something to him and show him the ways. he did not want to hear it and he knew what he was doing. so i told him i had to go and i have never talked to him again. if he does not want help then i am not going to risk my life.

brian704
08-09-11, 17:04
also if my friends just want to go to the range. i wont take them. the only way i will take them is if they say hey i want to buy a gun can you teach me. then i will help out ever bit i can

Nephrology
08-09-11, 17:51
So I suggest that you back off with your superiority complex a bit.

Thanks for the presumption, but frankly people who cannot safely handle firearms deserve derision until they learn how to do so. There is nothing super-human about safe gun handling and quite frankly I wish everyone with a license to carry a firearm took the choice as seriously as the posters here on M4c do.

QuietShootr
08-09-11, 17:58

Hi, new guy. Read more, post less.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-09-11, 18:12

Stop making excuses for people that kill others with their lack of safety.

CQC.45
08-09-11, 19:04
Yeah - well, the answer to that is this: Even if every one of these assclowns mentioned in this thread has a thousand children just like him, that has Jack and Shit to do with my right to own, carry, and bear arms. Freedom isn't free - one of the costs is that even the asswipes who don't deserve it have it too - otherwise it's not freedom.
Trust me, I realize there are stupid people in the world...in all facets of life.

I agree with you 100% from a theoretical standpoint. However, the reality is that whatever the majority of people believe is "right" is generally what dictates what can happen on Capitol Hill. The majority of people generally operate under assumption and ignorance of the "stupid redneck" gun owner stereotype. Thus, one of the biggest mistakes we can make is believing that our rights are immune from such threats. This thread is ammunition (no pun intended) on the open internet for any anti-gun oriented individual who runs across it and wishes to supplement the above stereotype. I personally see this thread as counterproductive to what this board stands for in that sense.

So as not to derail the thread any further I will now gracefully bow out :).

QuietShootr
08-09-11, 19:16
Trust me, I realize there are stupid people in the world...in all facets of life.

I agree with you 100% from a theoretical standpoint. However, the reality is that whatever the majority of people believe is "right" is generally what dictates what can happen on Capitol Hill. The majority of people generally operate under assumption and ignorance of the "stupid redneck" gun owner stereotype. Thus, one of the biggest mistakes we can make is believing that our rights are immune from such threats. This thread is ammunition (no pun intended) on the open internet for any anti-gun oriented individual who runs across it and wishes to supplement the above stereotype. I personally see this thread as counterproductive to what this board stands for in that sense.

So as not to derail the thread any further I will now gracefully bow out :).

Well, I think it's a good argument for a closed members-only section that isn't viewable, but your point is well taken. Perhaps it's time to lock and trash.

GIJew766
08-09-11, 20:58
So, went to the range/fun store the other night to decide if I want to buy the HK45C to go with my full size. They let me shoot one of their demo guns (rather than charge me rental fees and all, considering I brought my own eye and ear pro, plus ammo). I'm a frequent customer here and they do my transfers for a reasonable fee if I ask. Well, while shooting, I notice the guy next to me trying to impress his girlfriend (about half his age) by shooting "gangsta style" with his daily carry M92A1. Well, I finish shooting a box of ammo through the 45C about the same time he and his lady finished and cleared and made safe the pistol, while he walked out behind me (damn my lack of SA at this point) with gun in hand, slide closed, magazine in the pistol finger in the trigger guard. The staff at this range/shop is a lot of former or current LEOs from the area, and as soon as I saw their reaction, I knew there was trouble. The guy brought his hands up behind me, finger still in the trigger of a weapon that was hot in our opinions. Needless to say, he and lady friend nearly shit themselves and then flipped out that there was yelling and a few pistols cleared from holsters once he raised his unloaded pistol. He was rather sternly notified of the big board of rules saying "ALL FIREARMS MUST SHOW CLEAR BEFORE LEAVING RANGE." Then he was told to GTFO and not come back.

Needless to say, being caught between the two at first was not where I wanted to be. As Reagans Rascals put it, there is no class required to get your CCW permit, and it sometimes shows in these retards. This moron was lucky he didn't get shot...

H

polydeuces
08-09-11, 20:59
Naaaah... we need more entertaining Darwin award moments. Life's too serious as it is.:jester:

mtdawg169
08-10-11, 08:20
A couple of years ago, there was an incident at my local gun store. The employees were your typical know it all, but really don't know jack sort of crew and they all open carried in the store. One evening while closing up, an employee was bringing in some items from the sidewalk to secure them for the night. When he was done, he decided to play a little joke on one of his coworkers. The second guy was towards the back of the showroom with his back to the door. The jokester walked up behind his coworker and goosed him. The second guy spun around, drew his handgun and shot his friend in the chest, puncturing a lung and sending him to the hospital for an extended stay. The victim recovered thankfully. The astounding part was that our small town PD did their best to sweep the whole thing under the rug and no charges were filed against the shooter. AND he was still allowed to continue working in the store, still toting his pistol on his belt. I didn't frequent the store often before this all went down because of the typical LGS attitude and never returned after that incident.

Jellybean
08-10-11, 14:33

:haha:
That was brilliant.
Although the kid at #9 was kind of scary...

You wanna see stupid, wait until the tour bus full of Japanese tourists pulls up out front every other Tuesday night.

Oh- it gets better. Keep an eye out for the minivan full of Indian tourists. That was a truly shocking experience- if I was the guy in charge of range rentals I would never leave them all alone with even a bb gun.

There are shops out there that cater to that demographic. This is one of the best, no shit.

http://www.elmoresfirearms.com/why_were_different

Nice! Wish we could get one of those here....

JonnyVain
08-10-11, 15:15

I've done exactly this once. What I've learned from it:

I will never handle a gun when I'm tired. I treat being tired like being drunk when it comes to firearms now.

Gun safety rules WORK. Yes, an unfortunate accident to patch a hole in a wall, but I had the gun pointed in a safe direction, so no one had a chance of getting hurt.

If I ever get up for a bump in the night, the pistol will simply go into a holster until I'm aware enough to clear it.

Don't reset the striker unless you're breaking it down.

MistWolf
08-10-11, 16:37
2. ".223 is a poodle shooter"

Damn straight it is. One hit in the amidships with a 45 gr Nosler and it's poodle pate all over the countryside! (Just don't tell my ex-wife about this. Her mother still thinks Fluffy eloped with a dashing young coyote during that ill-fated family camping trip)

adrenaline151
08-10-11, 21:06
My brother saw a guy in his ccw class scratch his head with the front sight of his pistol. It was loaded. No joke.

mkmckinley
08-10-11, 22:41
I was shooting with a buddy at McKellar's Lodge on Ft Bragg which is like the public range for people stationed there. It's usually pretty safe, but we were doing our thing and one of the range officers ran over and said "the range is cold, there's been an accident". We walked back to the office and found a guy laying on a couch with blood pooling around his calf. Most of you can probably guess exactly what happened. He was practicing with his 1911 from the holster and managed to shoot himself in the leg just below his left knee. We put pressure on the entrance wound and got hemostasis but couldn't find the exit. We pulled off his boot and found the exit in his heal with the slug stuck in the boot itself. At least he'll have a souvenir.

The funny thing was is that that .45 slug went through his entire lower leg and deposited almost all of its energy. It didn't even have enough left over to go through the boot sole. The guy was able to walk about 20 meters to the range office and lay down on the couch. Really puts all the ".45 ACP will blow a man's arm clean off" myths out of the water. Another lesson is that the range staff, one guy, was too busy calling the ambulance to render aid. If you have the money to shoot you have the money to buy or make a fist aid kit and learn how to use it.

one
08-10-11, 23:09
If you have the money to shoot you have the money to buy or make a fist aid kit and learn how to use it.

I take your post to heart and 100% seriously. But next time I double up my fist I'm going to tell someone it's my "Fist aid kit".

And just to contribute something legit to this thread. A few years ago we had a Reserve Deputy have an ND at the feet of the range master during a qualification. That went less than well. Fortunately no one was hurt other than gravel splatter.

viperashes
08-11-11, 05:52

http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/2011/08/07/20110807cr-penisshot0811.html

how about this. Dude shoots his penis with a pink gun.
The round that this guy shot himself with actually ricocheted off the concrete and put a second hole in his junk. This guy should get an award for shooting himself in the c*ck twice with the same round!:haha:

I take your post to heart and 100% seriously. But next time I double up my fist I'm going to tell someone it's my "Fist aid kit".
That's pretty good. I might have to steal that too.

We dont all behave that like, just the idiot minority. Have no fear.
As much as I'd like to think that most of us are safe, my story adds a bit of contradictory evidence.

If I remember correctly, this happened some time in '08. The arms room custodian, against policy, would load up magazines, and sometimes would even pass weapons off in condition 1. There's a reason why safety rules are in place, and here's a prime example of why: The custodian handed off a condition 1 weapon to person A, who grabbed the weapon (which was condition 1 with the safety off) and for whatever reason, pulled the trigger. The custodian was shot by person a in the chest, person A was shot in the chest (soft armor) by person B because person B only cleared the corner to see person A pulling away from the arms room with a now hammer back, safety off, finger still on the trigger Beretta.

Two people were shot that day for one person's stupidity (well, two people's stupidity) and disregard for weapons safety. Never point a weapon at yourself, never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to destroy, keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fireand keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. We hear these and know them, yet somehow they get disregarded every day. Don't become a statistic.

Alpha Sierra
08-11-11, 09:50
Most of you can probably guess exactly what happened. He was practicing with his 1911 from the holster and managed to shoot himself in the leg just below his left knee.

Was he wearing a cowboy hat?

jbo723
08-11-11, 11:35
Troof.

Posers buy guns. Shooters buy ammo.

Okie John

That's quote worthy material..Mind if I use it in my Sig line?

JSantoro
08-11-11, 12:33
Was he wearing a cowboy hat?

...and had no sleeves, and looked like he was freshly-bathed in olive oil and graphite?

okie john
08-11-11, 17:15
That's quote worthy material..Mind if I use it in my Sig line?

Go right ahead. I'd consider it an honor.

Okie John

jamaicanj
08-12-11, 07:56

Thanks for the laugh

jmreagan
08-12-11, 20:58
He was practicing with his 1911 from the holster and managed to shoot himself in the leg just below his left knee. We put pressure on the entrance wound and got hemostasis but couldn't find the exit. We pulled off his boot and found the exit in his heal with the slug stuck in the boot itself. At least he'll have a souvenir.

The funny thing was is that that .45 slug went through his entire lower leg and deposited almost all of its energy. It didn't even have enough left over to go through the boot sole. The guy was able to walk about 20 meters to the range office and lay down on the couch. Really puts all the ".45 ACP will blow a man's arm clean off" myths out of the water.

That's about 18 inches of human tissue that bullet traveled. Pretty impressive for a pistol round if you ask me.

viperashes
08-22-11, 10:28
Three words. American. Defense. Enterprises. Not so much a CCW facepalm, but holy baby jesus. I think it was kind of eluded to earlier in the thread or elsewhere. I just saw part of a video. No thanks.

PdxMotoxer
08-22-11, 10:45
I get to add to this thread now...

In my recent post about looking for a good .22 auto plinker (low cost and just fun to shoot)

I've been doing a lot of asking around and reading and while at the gun show (anyone surprised??) I was talking to a very nice elderly
guy with a table that had a few nice but over priced weapons and
one was a Walther P22. i asked a few Q's about it and that's when
he lifted his shirt and showed me his daily CCW carry was a P.22 auto!!

Went on to tell me how he read the mob used to use .22 for their "hits"
and how in a Self Defense situation you would NEVER need anything
more than a .22 lr!!!

I just couldn't help but stand in total awe of this and listen to him go and on and on how the .22lr round was the best round ever created
other than if you needed to hunt wild game.
About that time someone overheard and had to start TRYING to explain to him better calibers and why so i took that as my cue to
take a drink of my small $4 water bottle and move along.

Nephrology
08-22-11, 11:04
Three words. American. Defense. Enterprises. Not so much a CCW facepalm, but holy baby jesus. I think it was kind of eluded to earlier in the thread or elsewhere. I just saw part of a video. No thanks.

Yeah that shit was HILARIOUS.

viperashes
08-22-11, 11:21
"We've trained CIA, FBI, SEALS, even Victoria Secret models." Yeah, ok. You trained them how NOT to train. :rolleyes:

I've got another one... *sigh* I had to go into the admin office today. Some dumbshit PFC was sitting there doing quick draw drills SITTING DOWN, aiming in at his computer and pulling the trigger with an M9. I lost my shit. I think the General had to have heard me. I wanted to snatch this kid's heart through his ass.

mtdawg169
08-22-11, 11:24
Yeah that shit was HILARIOUS.

No, that actually scared the crap out of me! Especially after seeing the neophytes run to their defense on the Calguns forum. They are taking inexperienced shooters and making them believe that they are instantaneously tier 1 operators by taking a class from the numbnuts at ADE. Those jackasses are going to get someone killed, either on their range or on the street when one of them goes all commando during a purse snatching.

viperashes
08-22-11, 11:38
No, that actually scared the crap out of me! Especially after seeing the neophytes run to their defense on the Calguns forum. They are taking inexperienced shooters and making them believe that they are instantaneously tier 1 operators by taking a class from the numbnuts at ADE. Those jackasses are going to get someone killed, either on their range or on the street when one of them goes all commando during a purse snatching.

I was thinking the same thing. They're shouting commands at people that have no shooting experience. All I watched was the video on the main page of their website. There's one older woman on there that BLATANTLY says she's never shot before. :facepalm:

Then the drill with 8 targets where the guy spins around real fast shooting. Oh my God. Wow.

munch520
08-22-11, 12:02

I love the beginning. 'we do...dangerous things'
http://www.youtube.com/user/AmericanDefenseEnt#p/u/18/xGjBPBJ8CVs

edit: wait...Spencer Pratt (the reality TV douche) was/is an investor for ADE and is head of their cyber-security division? :suicide: he has got to be the reason they think it's a good idea to dual-wield knives.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.popeater.com/media/2010/03/spencerprattade.jpg

Nephrology
08-22-11, 14:27
It is kind of crazy to watch how defensive firearms instruction went from Jeff Cooper's original dusty ranch in AZ, Gunsite, to a multimillion dollar industry chock full of both incredibly talented instructors and window licking scam artists alike. Would make a great topic for a social science PhD, if one were inclined to do such things...

Smuckatelli
08-22-11, 15:15
My facepalm moment OC:

I was stationed at the Embassy in Prague for 7 months as a watch stander. I was promoted to SSgt, they sent me back to Quantico to attend the course all over again...but as a Detachment Commander.

At that time in the program we had S&W Model 19 for OC and CCW if operationally required. We had to qualify on the FBI quick reaction course before we left Quantico.

The Battalion had just received a new shoot/no shoot trailer that was right next to the building. The instructors were talking about how they planned on using it and what Marines were required to do when they had a 'Mikey' moment. The instructor looked at me and said "SSgt, you are already qualified, care to demo?"

I put my gear on assumed the interview stance and began double tapping with wad cutters. 6th round went down, I immediately emptied the cylinder and uploaded within the required 4 seconds and got back into the interview stance.

The other students were amazed at how quickly I reloaded a revolver. The instructors were happy....then we looked at the video. It took us 4 runs before we finally realized what I had done wrong.

Only badguys were hit, no innocents, no wasted rounds....

As soon as the 6th round went down range I immediately assumed the 'proper clearing barrel stance' as I had been doing for the past 7 months everytime I came on or off duty. There was a nice piece of cover right next to me..........

Mauser KAR98K
08-22-11, 15:29

edit: wait...Spencer Pratt (the reality TV douche) was/is an investor for ADE and is head of their cyber-security division? :suicide: he has got to be the reason they think it's a good idea to dual-wield knives.

"ADE: Taking the Mall Ninja to the next tier."

Wounder if they think it is tacitcool to wear ear protection everyday, everywhere?

munch520
08-22-11, 15:58
"ADE: Taking the Mall Ninja to the next tier."

Wounder if they think it is tacitcool to wear ear protection everyday, everywhere?

Got to..it goes with the all black outfits. :rolleyes:

okie john
08-22-11, 16:19
Got to..it goes with the all black outfits. :rolleyes:

It also gives them a reason to yell all the time.

Okie John

infidelprodigy
08-22-11, 16:44

The only good thing about ADE is the majority of their students will never obtain a carry permit because of the state they live in. I think they came to that realization and decided to mall ninja it up to draw bored people with money.

Mauser KAR98K
08-22-11, 17:42
Doesn't ADE know that black is out and coyote tan is the new black. I mean, c'mon. They're just old school Mall Ninjas. I'm saving my money until they really dress like they're tier one and shit.

viperashes
08-23-11, 01:45
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/AmericanDefenseEnt#p/u/18/xGjBPBJ8CVs[url]

If you notice the bottom corner of that picture, it says TwitPic. I understand that it is twitter, but the tag as it reads, is also appropriate. ****ing twit.

CaptainDooley
08-23-11, 07:58
Wow - ADE must have gotten too much grief over their Wear Haix video... it's gone. It was classic buffoonery.

viperashes
08-23-11, 08:12
If it's gone. The shooting community as a whole is a better place because of it.

samuse
08-23-11, 09:22
Not really a CC story, but...

A guy I work with has son who is into guns, so I've been working to save him from the CoD mall-ninja crowd and trying to teach him some useful skills. We went to the range recently and I've shot with him a few times and thought he was pretty level-headed so I went with a hot range that day. Bad idea.

I had him doing a few drills and was doing pretty good then all of sudden he started pulling shots way low and left.

I had him holster his gun and we walked down range to check out the targets. I was standing beside a target and explaining a press-out when he pulls his G-17 and starts to unload on the target I was standing right next to.

Blew my mind! He's shot two matches with me, been to the range several times and knows how I stress safety. But for some unknown reason he goes full-retard and scares the shit out of me.

I guess the heat got to him and maybe he was flustered or something, I don't know. :confused: I think I made it to the top of the berm and all the way up range in 3 steps!

Bad Medicine
08-23-11, 09:35
Alright my CCW face plam.....

I had just finished a long day at work and had beat my wife home, we were currently remodeling our bathroom with paint and fixtures. We don't have any kids and it is just my wife and I, so I took my XDM 9mm out of my waistband and set it on the kitchen counter to go paint in the b-room. While I was painting away a Marine from my unit called and asked to come over and talk about some personal problems, being one of the unit Corpsman I was more than willing to listen. So he talked things out while I painted away, finished that up about the time my wife returned home. We were all in the kitchen talking ( remember the handgun on the counter) the Marine was sitting on the counter top my wife was on the otherside of the far counter and I was 5 feet away from the Marine washing out a paint brush. All of the sudden I heard a loud bang, and immediately thought it was our damn water heater which a friend who is a plumber warned me about. I started looking around and noticed a heavy amount of smoke in the air and saw the Marine holding my handgun. I yelled "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!" Initially thinking that he had shot it at my wife on accindent, instead I realized he had shot himself in the left hand and the round had impacted in a cubbard not more than 1 1/2' from my head. We don't speak to each other anymore and his screw up not only ruined his reputation around the unit but also did some major damage to mine.

munch520
08-23-11, 09:45
he goes full-retard and scares the shit out of me.

http://www.monologuedb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Robert-Downey-Jr.-Kirk-Lazarus-Tropic-Thunder-150x150.jpg

NEVER go full retard :sarcastic:

KTR03
08-23-11, 10:50
Was working at a gun shop in the late nineties. Stockton PD had informed us that their gang intelligence unit has heard chatter about knocking off a gun store. We all carried side arms and based on this news we loaded 2 long guns (an 11000 and a Valmet 76). It was near closing time. I was behind the counter cleaning rental guns and my partner was at the other side of the store stacking 4473s. A suzuki samurai drives up at a high rate of speed. and parks right in front of the front door. The guy bails out and approaches the door at a high rate of speed. As he comes through the door he pulls a stainless steel revolver from his pocket. I yelled "gun" and moved behind the cash register (better cover than the glass case), while I grabbed the Valmet 76. My partner lept to his feet, Glock 17 in hand. The guy dropped the revolver as if it was molten hot, and screamed "I just wanted to buy a holster". Scared and pissed, I said "what are you a f***ing moron?". He got irrate and objected to my tone. After a brief shouting match, he informed me that he was going to talk to the owner the following morning. I responded that this was fine with me. I left a short note for the boss that night with my side of the story. Sure enough, the guy shows up and starts complaining that he has been insulted. Bear, the boss, says, "well sir, I'm actually really suprised that Damien didn't shoot you. You got off pretty light".

Bad Medicine
08-23-11, 11:46
Was working at a gun shop in the late nineties. Stockton PD had informed us that their gang intelligence unit has heard chatter about knocking off a gun store. We all carried side arms and based on this news we loaded 2 long guns (an 11000 and a Valmet 76). It was near closing time. I was behind the counter cleaning rental guns and my partner was at the other side of the store stacking 4473s. A suzuki samurai drives up at a high rate of speed. and parks right in front of the front door. The guy bails out and approaches the door at a high rate of speed. As he comes through the door he pulls a stainless steel revolver from his pocket. I yelled "gun" and moved behind the cash register (better cover than the glass case), while I grabbed the Valmet 76. My partner lept to his feet, Glock 17 in hand. The guy dropped the revolver as if it was molten hot, and screamed "I just wanted to buy a holster". Scared and pissed, I said "what are you a f***ing moron?". He got irrate and objected to my tone. After a brief shouting match, he informed me that he was going to talk to the owner the following morning. I responded that this was fine with me. I left a short note for the boss that night with my side of the story. Sure enough, the guy shows up and starts complaining that he has been insulted. Bear, the boss, says, "well sir, I'm actually really suprised that Damien didn't shoot you. You got off pretty light".

If you had shot this "hotshot" he would have deserved it.

Mauser KAR98K
08-23-11, 13:17
This thread has become the first place I read before I go and train with others.

viperashes
08-23-11, 13:39
This thread is purely more entertaining than the other 99% of the internet. I've reread this thread more times than I've checked the news in the last week.

William B.
08-23-11, 19:37
Alright my CCW face plam.....

I had just finished a long day at work and had beat my wife home, we were currently remodeling our bathroom with paint and fixtures. We don't have any kids and it is just my wife and I, so I took my XDM 9mm out of my waistband and set it on the kitchen counter to go paint in the b-room. While I was painting away a Marine from my unit called and asked to come over and talk about some personal problems, being one of the unit Corpsman I was more than willing to listen. So he talked things out while I painted away, finished that up about the time my wife returned home. We were all in the kitchen talking ( remember the handgun on the counter) the Marine was sitting on the counter top my wife was on the otherside of the far counter and I was 5 feet away from the Marine washing out a paint brush. All of the sudden I heard a loud bang, and immediately thought it was our damn water heater which a friend who is a plumber warned me about. I started looking around and noticed a heavy amount of smoke in the air and saw the Marine holding my handgun. I yelled "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!" Initially thinking that he had shot it at my wife on accindent, instead I realized he had shot himself in the left hand and the round had impacted in a cubbard not more than 1 1/2' from my head. We don't speak to each other anymore and his screw up not only ruined his reputation around the unit but also did some major damage to mine.

When was this? The reason I ask is that earlier this year there was a safety bulletin posted in the head in my building that related to safety with personally owned firearms. It included several true-life examples and pictures. One example was very similar to this.

Travelingchild
08-23-11, 20:29
This thread is purely more entertaining than the other 99% of the internet.

Not exactly a face palm moment, but while camping around cookie city mt. my city girlfriend asked why a lot of locals were openly carrying. Like was it hunting season? I replied cause they can & that the nearest LEO were at least an hour away. She kept asking about it, I finally told her I was armed the entire trip, She was shocked, never noticed.

Later that night she asked what I had, roll over shine the flash light in the corner of the tent on my still holstered firearm/attached to belt pants.
She Exclaims at the top of her lungs
"THAT'S HUGE""I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING THAT BIG":D
I'm sure the niegboring campers were amused...:haha:

TapRackBang20
08-24-11, 00:31
Not exactly a face palm moment, but while camping around cookie city mt. my city girlfriend asked why a lot of locals were openly carrying. Like was it hunting season? I replied cause they can & that the nearest LEO were at least an hour away. She kept asking about it, I finally told her I was armed the entire trip, She was shocked, never noticed.

Later that night she asked what I had, roll over shine the flash light in the corner of the tent on my still holstered firearm/attached to belt pants.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That is brilliant!

viperashes
08-24-11, 01:30

That's pretty good. Here's another funny one, not a CCW facepalm necessarily but it's related.

I'm coming home from Afghanistan here in a few weeks and have a couple of buddies coming down to shoot with me, so I've been ordering quite a bit of ammo lately, a couple holsters, about 6 magazines for my G19, and some other random bits and pieces. I shopped around to find good prices on everything I wanted.

Boxes have been showing up randomly at my house and I had told my mom to look through them and tell me what was there so I could make sure I got the right thing. She has absolutely ZERO experience with firearms other than me taking her to the range a couple times to show her the basics.

A box showed up last night with 4 Glock 19 mags in it, when I called, I had the funniest conversation I can remember having with my mom, probably ever.

Me: Hey mom, there should be some more boxes showing up.
Her: I just brought one inside, want me to open it?
Me: Yeah what is it?
Her: (opening the box) It looks like handles.
Me: Handles?
Her: Yeah, it looks like gun handles.
Me: :rolleyes: No mom, they're magazines, they're for my pistol. You put the ammo in them.
Her: Oh.... I thought you put the ammo in your gun?
Me: :rolleyes: Mom, I have to put the ammo in the magazines and the magazines in the pistol. That's how it works.
Her: Oh... Well why do you need so many then?
Me: :rolleyes:

The conversation went on a little bit. I think I was purple in the face from all of the tactical facepalming that I was doing. I thought it was a funny conversation, but it kind of scares me that she literally knows NOTHING about firearms other than not to screw around with them. I guess that's the most important thing if anything, is safety.

Bad Medicine
08-24-11, 06:21
When was this? The reason I ask is that earlier this year there was a safety bulletin posted in the head in my building that related to safety with personally owned firearms. It included several true-life examples and pictures. One example was very similar to this.

I believe it was October of last year, and it wouldn't surprise me if you heard about this because our command said they were going to use it as a Marine wide training lesson or some crap.

300WM
08-24-11, 14:09
Gentlemen, lead your horses to water. If [When?] one of these boneheads "makes the news" it'll be ammunition to be used against the rest of us.

Hell, there are a number of the mf's out there doing it to us now.

okie john
08-24-11, 14:40
I thought it was a funny conversation, but it kind of scares me that she literally knows NOTHING about firearms other than not to screw around with them.

If everyone was as well trained as your mother, then this thread would not exist.

Okie John

William B.
08-24-11, 19:54
I believe it was October of last year, and it wouldn't surprise me if you heard about this because our command said they were going to use it as a Marine wide training lesson or some crap.

That's great. Let your boy know that he's famous. I think that's him on Aug 2010...

http://www.marines.mil/unit/safety/Documents/Neg_Discharges_Jan_2010.pdf

viperashes
08-25-11, 00:43
If everyone was as well trained as your mother, then this thread would not exist.

Okie John

That is true. At the very least, she has that going for her.

nutnless220
08-25-11, 00:46

It sounds like my father in law is in your unit...

GermanSynergy
08-25-11, 00:54
Wow... They went full retard and jumped the shark in that video.... What a joke.

TapRackBang20
08-27-11, 23:58
Can't believe I almost forgot this one.

I am lucky enough to have a local gun shop filled with knowledgeable guys who aren't complete numbnuts. As they are not complete numbnuts, they have a policy (probably like most shops) that if you are going to try out a holster for your gun, you clear it outside and have an employee check it before trying it out. It's posted all over the store, on the website, it's pretty hard to miss. A while back, I was in the store talking to the employee I usually go to for help/advice (for anonymity's sake, we'll call him Joe). Me and Joe were discussing the pro's and con's of a fixed front site vs. a folding front sight for an AR when a guy walked up to the counter. I glanced over at him and watch as this genius pulls a .380 out of his pocket while walking up to the counter, finger on the trigger, pointed right at Joe's midsection. In his other hand is a boxed holster which he sets on the counter. I glance back at Joe and his G17 is about to clear his holster. At this point, the idiot sets the pistol down on the counter (muzzling me at this point) and proceeds to open the box. Realizing that this guy, while a couple rounds short of a full mag, wasn't intent on killing him, Joe sternly informed him that he had to clear any weapon that was not holstered. Then this guy tells Joe in the most condescending of tones "Calm down, it's empty" and grabs it, most likely to try the fit of the holster. At this point Joe, hellfire in his eyes, grabs it out of the guys hand and says, with acid in his voice, "I have to clear it!" which he did. It was empty, thank goodness. But i thought Joe was going to shoot him right then and there.

Feel bad for those guys sometimes, and the idiots they have to deal with.

Mauser KAR98K
08-28-11, 00:54
There are days that I have to wonder if I need to take any relaxers before I go into a gun shop for anything. Why? I know some one there is going to flag me and I need to control myself for A) not have a stroke, or B) not kill the guy, slash girl.

In fact, had a girl the other day do a muzzle sweep with a shotgun very close to me. Her boyfriend didn't seem to care either as he looked dead on at me while she did it. If I were that guy, either it wouldn't have happened for I teach my girlfriend where I really wanted it pointed, or be, she wouldn't be my girlfriend anymore after that giant fight in front of everyone, me being the most vocal.

Alas, southern sensibilities keep me from grilling people at gun shops in public.

товарищ
08-28-11, 01:31
There are days that I have to wonder if I need to take any relaxers before I go into a gun shop for anything. Why? I know some one there is going to flag me and I need to control myself for A) not have a stroke, or B) not kill the guy, slash girl.

In fact, had a girl the other day do a muzzle sweep with a shotgun very close to me. Her boyfriend didn't seem to care either as he looked dead on at me while she did it. If I were that guy, either it wouldn't have happened for I teach my girlfriend where I really wanted it pointed, or be, she wouldn't be my girlfriend anymore after that giant fight in front of everyone, me being the most vocal.

Alas, southern sensibilities keep me from grilling people at gun shops in public.

You honestly should have brought it up. Venting about it later isn't going to do anything for anyone. A random person going off on her (especially in a public place) would fix her issue with a quickness. Nothing teaches a lesson better than embarrassment.

abanks8245
08-28-11, 01:50
first the disclaimer: There are a lot of gun-shops that have a myriad of retards that work there, and gives decent gunshops and their employees a bad name, i have the privilege of working at one with a pretty squared away bunch of men and women. So the first incident i have remembered was told to me second hand: one of my co workers was doing some work on a glock and one of the guys that frequents the shop offered his "assistance" and proceeds to try to hammer out one of the pins on the glock with a loaded 1911, to say the rest of my angry would be putting it mildly, gentleman has not been back since. Only major issue i have seen recently was as i was ringing up a customer , we had a pretty packed store, the door opens, as i look up to greet whoever the next customer is , i notice that it is a gentlemen holding a ar 15 and basically buy the barrel, but it has a magazine in it, first red flag, im rather soft spoken, but i speak so everyone could hear me, "Sir can you remove your magazine and bring me that weapon so i can clear it", no response, second red flag , by this time i have cleared my shirt (carried concealed) for holstered glock 19 and about to clear holster, at this time I am waiting for the worst as i make it around the counter by this time to grab the weapon from the gentleman, and forcibly remove the magazine, and clear the weapon, which i wanted to smash and throw the guy out of the store with for being a dumb ass, gun was cleared and business resumed as normal but mag in ar into a gun store sent me immediately into conditioned red, the guy proved to be a none threat just really silly/stupid. as well as other stories too many to name, Stay safe people

Suwannee Tim
08-28-11, 08:32
This is why I don't go much in gun shops. I spend a lot of time on the range and when someone points a gun at someone else it is a big deal. That's the way I am wired. When I go into a gun shop I have to steel myself for the inevitable look down muzzles, fingers on the triggers and so on. I go in, get done, get out. As far as educating people, it isn't my job to save the world.

BCmJUnKie
08-28-11, 09:57
Its not just gun shops. In town we have a supply store for LEO and Gaurds that work at the prisons. Its got alot of 5.11 stuff and holsters knives.

A cop friend of mine was in there showing off his new 556, another afriend that works there told me he was sweeping everyone in the store.

I have witnessed him doing some pretty stupid shit, including putting the muzzle on his foot so the muzzle didnt get scraped, while he "switches stocks", right after spending a half a magazine worth if ammo...the weapon was not "Safe" and it was not clear.

I dont go shooting with him anymore

Doxiedad
08-28-11, 21:49
GIJEW766 pm inbound

Bad Medicine
08-29-11, 06:31
That's great. Let your boy know that he's famous. I think that's him on Aug 2010...

http://www.marines.mil/unit/safety/Documents/Neg_Discharges_Jan_2010.pdf

You would be correct sir! If I still talked to him I probably would let him know.

Bad Medicine
08-29-11, 14:55
This is hillarious! Warning language is colorful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ_v-uEZFvU

SteveL
08-29-11, 15:20
This is hillarious! Warning language is colorful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ_v-uEZFvU

That one's been going around a while. He was also using a Serpa holster.

okie john
08-29-11, 16:12
This is hillarious!

I'm not quite with you on "hilarious."

It's still a human being (albeit one that probably should be removed from the gene pool) suffering a gunshot wound.

Okie John

Stangman
08-29-11, 16:17
someone did a remix to the old tex grebner vid & I couldn't help but crack up at it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGmTrQXrwg

QuietShootr
08-29-11, 16:20
I'm not quite with you on "hilarious."

It's still a human being (albeit one that probably should be removed from the gene pool) suffering a gunshot wound.

Okie John

And sometimes, that's funny. When it happens to someone who was shit-talking or bragging first, that's one of those times.

Stangman
08-29-11, 16:33
And sometimes, that's funny. When it happens to someone who was shit-talking or bragging first, that's one of those times.

And also when one states his training is to call his parents if suffering from a gunshot wound.

QuietShootr
08-29-11, 16:54
And also when one states his training is to call his parents if suffering from a gunshot wound.

This, too.

Mauser KAR98K
08-29-11, 19:34
Why you need to have any weapon pointed in a safe direction and the finger off the trigger.

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_4ed885c6-92b3-11e0-b7b5-001cc4c002e0.html

Mauser KAR98K
08-29-11, 19:49
Okay, since the thread has kinda gone to gun shop handling facepalms, how do most of you handle a new weapon at a gunshop while obeying the 4 golden rules?

For me, I hope that the weapon is passed to me while the slide/action/cylinder is open. I hate these pop the mag, rack the slide, look inside, close slide and insert magazine hand overs. After weapon is in my hand, I do my safety check, laying the magazine on the counter.

Checking sights and feel, I pick a place high on the wall and in a direction that no one is going to pass across the muzzle without me seeing them coming a long way off. And I will never dry fire a weapon unless I am REALLY, REALLY interested in it so I know that I'm not buying an expensive hammer for nails.

I repeat my safety check before I hand back the pistol, and return it slide locked back; or cylinder or action.

Smuckatelli
08-29-11, 21:31
For me, I hope that the weapon is passed to me while the slide/action/cylinder is open. I hate these pop the mag, rack the slide, look inside, close slide and insert magazine hand overs. After weapon is in my hand, I do my safety check, laying the magazine on the counter.

I'm much more comfortable if the weapon is handed to me in condition 4 instead of a modified weapon condition. It took me a while to break Marines of the bolt/slide locked to the rear in the units that I was in. IMO handing a weapon to someone that is in a modified condition could teach them that there is a time when you don't have to treat every weapon as though it was loaded.

Just my opinion ;)

longball
08-29-11, 21:49
Okay, since the thread has kinda gone to gun shop handling facepalms, how do most of you handle a new weapon at a gunshop while obeying the 4 golden rules?

They don't but oh how I wish people would. I can't count the number of times the last 4 months, since I started working at a gun store, that I've been dancing side to side and ducking trying to avoid muzzles with fingers on the trigger. It drives me bat shit crazy even thoight I check EVERY gun before I hand it to somebody and after I get it back.

LHS
08-29-11, 22:30

I take the weapon pointing at the floor, I immediately remove magazine and check chamber both visually and physically, then close the bolt/slide. At that point, with the weapon in position sul, I ask the shop worker if I can dry-fire it. I do all my manipulations with the weapon pointed at the ground in front of me. When I'm done, I lock the bolt back (if possible) and hand it back, muzzle straight down.

One thing I hate about gun shows and gun shops is the propensity of people to go full retard with regards to sweeping/flagging other people. SHOT is particularly bad about this, as everyone 'knows' the weapons are unloaded and inoperable.

LockenLoad
08-30-11, 08:55

very well said

Mauser KAR98K
08-30-11, 10:03
Get a load of this ABC crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLN6_s66wTg&feature=related

ABC lives in a dream world.

Stangman
08-30-11, 11:48
Get a load of this ABC crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLN6_s66wTg&feature=related

ABC lives in a dream world.

Aside from the obvious bias with those vids, it still has some valid points. imo, most people that carry lack training & think having a gun is enough in my experience. In that vid the people that were carrying did some dumb things. However, they were also put at an immediate disadvantage because the people who came in the room shooting knew who the ccw'er was & headed straight to them.