PDA

View Full Version : EOTech lense covers?

ARPATRIOT
08-01-11, 20:24
What's the thought on these,worth looking at?

nimdabew
08-01-11, 22:04
Meh. Never really saw the use for lens covers myself for any optic except long range glass.

aaron_c
08-01-11, 22:25
Really? I disagree. I'd get them in a heartbeat if I had an EOTech, and I had them on my Aimpoint too. If you're moving in the woods or whatever and you get mud on them, for example, you may be done until you stop and clean them. same with snow, and rain can probably make an optic difficult to use as well, just like looking through a car windshield with no wipers. I'd run quality flip-up covers on any optic. I do assume you mean the GG&G ones.

nimdabew
08-01-11, 22:33
Really? I disagree. I'd get them in a heartbeat if I had an EOTech, and I had them on my Aimpoint too. If you're moving in the woods or whatever and you get mud on them, for example, you may be done until you stop and clean them. same with snow, and rain can probably make an optic difficult to use as well, just like looking through a car windshield with no wipers. I'd run quality flip-up covers on any optic. I do assume you mean the GG&G ones.

Yeah, really. With opaque flip lens covers, you are going to have to flip them out of the way to use the sight before taking a shot anyways. Even when I had flips on my aimpoint, I never kept them down. The only reason I have a flip cover on my ACOG is because of having the ability to fire occluded. I guess it is personal preference then.

aaron_c
08-02-11, 00:05
Yeah, really. With opaque flip lens covers, you are going to have to flip them out of the way to use the sight before taking a shot anyways. Even when I had flips on my aimpoint, I never kept them down. The only reason I have a flip cover on my ACOG is because of having the ability to fire occluded. I guess it is personal preference then.

Yeah, I do agree that it's personal preference. I suppose it's also your method of operation- if you're in a relatively clean urban environment, you have no real need for them. Other than filling a home defense role, my AR15 goes drudging through the woods and what not with me and the lens covers have been pretty dirty/muddy a couple times. Now if I felt like I may need to shoot at any instant, they'd be open, but that often wasn't the case for me.

kmrtnsn
08-02-11, 00:53
No. You don't need them, this is not a scope. In fact, you could tape over the front of your Eotech and still make all your shots. Mud, dirt, fog, fingerprints, whatever, none of it will affect your shooting with a red dot like an Eotech, just keep BOTH eyes open.