PDA

View Full Version : slide not locking back

tb-av
08-01-11, 22:36
I detailed stripped my Kimber Gold Match ( Gen 1 ).

Unless it get's really dirty is has worked flawlessly for years.

I took it down and frogLubed it. Which is great so far. Still very smooth.

But.... I think I screwed something up. the slide will often not lock back. these are good mags and the same ones I always use. Chip Mccormick I believe.

I do recall the first time I tried to install a mag it hung like something was blocking it. then finally went in. Now they all go in fine and eject fine.

I did one other really stupid thing. I was reloading and it had been a while so I for some reason decided to place a round in the chamber and let the slide down. The round had no powder or primer.

Anyway, it feeds, ejects, fires fine and I have no reason to suspect the mags. what exactly should I look at to figure where the problem is?

Bracken
08-08-11, 00:33
By any chance do you have a extened slide stop? Maybe your riding the slide stop?

I had this issue as well with my 1911. I just trained myself to move my thumb silghtly over. Hope this helps.

tb-av
08-08-11, 09:27
Thanks guys, yes it looks like Bracken has nailed it.

I went back to range and had a model 52 with me as well. First mag I emptied the slide didn't lock back. That's when I got the what the hell is going here moment.

I had been shooting a PPS a lot and when I switched to the larger guns my thumb was too far back riding the release. I moved it forward a bit and actually realized I get the better and proper forward/downward cant of my weak hand now and my thumb sits on the flat of the slide release.

@7PI

(2) At which point was the mag hanging up? At the mag catch level or higher? If at the mag catch level, now worries. Besides, it sounds like it has not happened since. You have to beat 1911s into submission or else they will run you.

Yes, it seemed to stop right at that mag catch level and whatever happened it's normal now. No more issues with that.

7PI
08-08-11, 09:57
I detailed stripped my Kimber Gold Match ( Gen 1 ).

Unless it get's really dirty is has worked flawlessly for years.

I took it down and frogLubed it. Which is great so far. Still very smooth.

But.... I think I screwed something up. the slide will often not lock back. (1) these are good mags and the same ones I always use. Chip Mccormick I believe.

(2) I do recall the first time I tried to install a mag it hung like something was blocking it. then finally went in. Now they all go in fine and eject fine.

(3) I did one other really stupid thing. I was reloading and it had been a while so I for some reason decided to place a round in the chamber and let the slide down. The round had no powder or primer.

Anyway, it feeds, ejects, fires fine and I have no reason to suspect the mags. (4) what exactly should I look at to figure where the problem is?

(1) Even high quality mags need maintenance and will wear out.

(2) At which point was the mag hanging up? At the mag catch level or higher? If at the mag catch level, now worries. Besides, it sounds like it has not happened since. You have to beat 1911s into submission or else they will run you.

(3) Ill-advised...Yes. However, one time does not destroy your extractor and it would not likely have anything to do with your slide not locking to the rear on and empty mag. If that one time damaged your extractor you needed to replace that extractor anyways. Easy fix here. Don't do it again.:o

(4) Your Grip. The slide catch lever. The magazine followers. The magazine lips and edges. The plunger tube. The plunger tube spring. The plunger detent pin that interacts with the slide catch lever. The magazine springs. The recoil spring.

There may be more or I may be off base. Others certainly know more that I do. Those are a good place to start. It is what I would look at first. Especially the followers and mag lips.

Bracken
08-08-11, 10:40
That's when I got the what the hell is going here moment.

Lol Yea I was freaking out cause I had this happen to me on a number of range session's. Then one day it just dawned on me! lol I just changed the slide stop back to the stock slide stop and adujsted my grip a little and bam sloved!

Glad you were able to get this issued sloved.