PDA

View Full Version : Is It Just Me?

Evil Bert
08-03-11, 09:17
Is it just me or does nobody want to pay for a quality rifle? I mean, why is it that so many people feel they have to learn the hard way? For example, I have a quality built M4 (BCM) rifle, with all the quality parts one would ever want. I mean this rifle has battlcomp 2.0, VLTOR A5, DD Omega rail, FA BCM BCG, gunfighter, DD LPK, etc. All quality. I am trying to sell it for nearly $350 less than it would cost to build it retail, in other words I am losing money. Which is fine with me. But I don't want to give it away.

What kills me is people are buying DPMS, RRA, Stag, et al; for just as much or more in some cases. A friend of mine was telling me that he works with a guy who spent over $2k on a DPMS and has nothing but trouble with it and is trying to return it to get his money back. I hope he does, cause then he can buy mine for $1400 and afford a nice optic for it.

I just don't get it. Honestly, I think the fact that most have never heard of BCM, it what is hurting me. If it was a Noveske, DD, KAC, etc, it would be much easier to sell. I go to gun shows and talk to people and they say they have never heard of BCM. Dealers as well as so called enthusiasts.

I have seen BCM ads in gun rags, etc, but I see the same kind of ads for Noveske, but people are more familiar with Noveske.

What is the deal?

C4IGrant
08-03-11, 09:26
Is it just me or does nobody want to pay for a quality rifle? I mean, why is it that so many people feel they have to learn the hard way? For example, I have a quality built M4 (BCM) rifle, with all the quality parts one would ever want. I mean this rifle has battlcomp 2.0, VLTOR A5, DD Omega rail, FA BCM BCG, gunfighter, DD LPK, etc. All quality. I am trying to sell it for nearly $350 less than it would cost to build it retail, in other words I am losing money. Which is fine with me. But I don't want to give it away.

What kills me is people are buying DPMS, RRA, Stag, et al; for just as much or more in some cases. A friend of mine was telling me that he works with a guy who spent over $2k on a DPMS and has nothing but trouble with it and is trying to return it to get his money back. I hope he does, cause then he can buy mine for $1400 and afford a nice optic for it.

I just don't get it. Honestly, I think the fact that most have never heard of BCM, it what is hurting me. If it was a Noveske, DD, KAC, etc, it would be much easier to sell. I go to gun shows and talk to people and they say they have never heard of BCM. Dealers as well as so called enthusiasts.

I have seen BCM ads in gun rags, etc, but I see the same kind of ads for Noveske, but people are more familiar with Noveske.

What is the deal?

Hard to say. My guess is that many shooters have no idea who BCM is.

C4

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-03-11, 09:40
Why on earth would you sell a BCM? ;)

Just have them watch an episode of Tac TV, more BCM mentions than you can shake a stick at.

Most people think a Rolex is better than an Audemars Piguet, JLC, Parmigiani, Patek Phillipe, Ulysse Nardin, or Vacheron Constantin watch. What can you do about it?

Evil Bert
08-03-11, 10:38
But on forums where all they talk about is the AR, people should know about BCM. I don't expect people on the street or in the average shop to know about BCM, but people who are on forums that discuss nothing but the likes of BCM and others, should know about the quality of BCM and jump (I would think) at a deal like this. I never expected to have such a difficult time selling a rifle like this.

I know what you are saying. Why am I selling her? My wife has us on the Financial Peace plan and I have no financial peace. I have no budget anymore for guns and I have to sell one to buy another. I will not sell my SR15 before I sell any other AR.

I mean this carbine shoots like a middy between the BC 2.0 and the A5 RE.

Oh well.

P.S. I do not know why it always puts "Evil Bert" in the subject line despite putting something else in there. Admins, please feel free to change the subject to "Is it just me?"

rob_s
08-03-11, 11:07
Because the economy is in the shitter?

On used gun stuff, figure on getting AT BEST 75% of actual retail for something that is practically NIB. and that is for factory built parts. Cobble something together, and I don't care if you're Eugene Stoner, you're talking about more like 65% of actual retail at best. And when I say "actual retail" I'm talking about the best price someone can find searching on google shopping, not whatever it is you happened to pay for it. Factor in outdated parts (M4 barrel, for example) and you're even more screwed. So let's do some math.

M4 (BCM) $400 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-16-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-16.htm)
battlcomp 2.0 $155 (http://www.operationparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCE2.0BX&click=2)
VLTOR A5 $225 (http://www.operationparts.com/Basic_Combo_Kit_Milspec_Diameter_A5_Conversion_p/aebk-a5-t.htm)
DD Omega rail $220 (http://www.tacticaloutpost.com/servlet/the-39063/Daniel-Defense-Omega-Rail/Detail)
FA BCM BCG $140 (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm)
gunfighter $42 (http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item/434877_Brownells_Parts_BCM_CHARGING_HNDL_5_56MM_223_MOD4_BK.aspx)
DD LPK $67 (http://www.tacticaloutpost.com/servlet/the-39082/Daniel-Defense-Part-Lower/Detail)

$1,249 Total
$935 @ 75% ($314 loss)
$810 @ 65% ($439 loss)

and even then you have to hope that someone wants your exact configuration.

Jellybean
08-03-11, 13:36
Because the economy is in the shitter?

......and even then you have to hope that someone wants your exact configuration.

That^.

About a year ago when I started down the road of re-doing my gun purchases, it took me 6 months to sell my first AR- a basic Stag with a drop-in rail; nothing special. Eventually I parted it out to sell it. I spent $950+ on it and made about $700. Not to bad, but still less than I had hoped (or was led to believe) I could get.

As far as people not knowing about BCM, or not jumping to buy it over other well known brands, who can say?
My guess would be, regardless of the quality, everyone has their own pet brand. Trying to persuade them otherwise will just result in them closing their eyes, clapping their hands over their ears, and shouting la-la-la-la until you go away.

wahoo95
08-03-11, 13:55
Its always hard to get what you want out of your "customized" set up. I always tell people that you'll fair much better is your break an AR down and sell because most people don't want "your" configration.

13MPG
08-03-11, 18:20
I am NOT trying to bust your chops but you might be able to get the close to the $1,400 if it was a factory built rifle. The $194 that you have the Bushmaster stripped lower listed for is high IMO as is $425 for the BCM upper when it’s $412 shipped from BCM.

Newbs will pay silly prices for dumb stuff in gun stores or at gun shows in the heat of the moment but I think that people that are really into the platform shop around for the best prices and will just look right over something that is not priced right.

I am in the market for a carbine and when I saw your thread on TOS I clicked on it to check it out. When I saw the price I clicked right back out. The price turned me off and I do not care for the Omega rail. As others have said the parts you like are not always the parts everyone else is going to like (other than the rail it looks like a darn nice carbine!) so you might be better off parting it out to make back the most money.

Once again I am NOT trying to bust your chops over what you want to get for the carbine but just letting you know what I thought as a potential buyer when I read your thread.

GermanSynergy
08-03-11, 19:02
A friend of mine was telling me that he works with a guy who spent over $2k on a DPMS and has nothing but trouble with it and is trying to return it to get his money back. I hope he does, cause then he can buy mine for $1400 and afford a nice optic for it.

$2,000 for a DPMS? And people kvetch about dropping $1100 on a Colt 6920....:help:

Iraqgunz
08-04-11, 01:00
I can feel your pain. Last month I sold a BCM Midlength that was more than a standard weapon. Granted it was painted, but it was built up and only test fired for functionality and to zero. I let it go for a song.

The other thing to consider is that there are plenty of people who do not look at theit AR as an implement of destruction. Instead they want to use their 870 loaded with #90 birdshot or what have you.

These are the same people who have allowed DPMS, BM, etc... to stay in business all these years.

ThirdWatcher
08-04-11, 05:10
I think it's ignorance. Growing up somewhat poor, I hate wasting money so I'm a Consumer Reports kinda guy (online & monthly subscriptions). I'm not afraid to spend money, I just don't like getting screwed. I have done a ton of research on this forum and I've emailed Grant on more than one occasion and I now have some very good weaponry. I really don't think I could be happier with my BCM4 middy...that carbine goes to work with me every night. Only a rich guy can afford to buy it twice.

SteyrAUG
08-04-11, 10:52
It takes a special buyer to buy special things.

Anytime something requires some for of education to be appreciated for what it is, the pool of potential interested parties gets smaller.

Add in the economy and specific configuration issues mentioned by others and there you go.

CarlosDJackal
08-05-11, 08:08
Because BCM, Noveske, etc. had never been mentions on the "Sons of Guns" or any such show. Like it or not, those morons in that show and others like it are the ones who are shaping the popular misconceptions on what makes a quality AR.

But it's not just limited to ARs. I have a KT PF-9 that I probably ran less than 50-rounds through and I had a guy decide to buy a new one for about $280 just because he thought I was asking too much for mine. Never mind the fact that mine came with 4 mags, 2 boxes of GDHPs, and a Kydex IWB. For some reason, he thought that I should sell him all of that for less than what he paid for a new one.

Does it make any sense? Nope. But it is what it is.

Evil Bert
08-06-11, 14:54
Yeah. I just wanted to sell it so I could buy a Kimber Ultra TLE II with the Laser Grips. The wife removed my gun budget so in order to buy something I have to sell something. Like most people I guess.