PDA

View Full Version : Homemade sling question

Bauer C
08-03-11, 15:08
Where do you guys buy the spring hooks to attach the sling? I have searched everywhere with no luck, probably because I don't know the technical term for the "hooks".

reccerecon
08-03-11, 15:10
Try HK snap hook.

Pax
08-03-11, 15:34
1" ITW Nexus MASH Hooks, 1.25" MASH Hooks and 1" elastic-sleeved HK Hooks are in my opinion most easily available through MilSpec Monkey's online store:

http://milspecmonkey.com/store/tactical-gear

Emdom USA also sells 1" elastic-sleeved HK Hooks but I believe theyre a little more expensive and you dont want HK Hooks to begin with. Insecure compared to alternative options.

QD Swivels, while available from MilSpec Monkey's store, always ought to be sourced from reputable manufacturers such as Daniel Defense. Just about anything you might need for QD Swivel attachment is available on this page:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Tactical-Slings-Mounts-s/22.htm

24mm Cobra Buckles can be sourced from Para-Gear USA if youre interested. I dont like them, some people do. Expensive, tacticool and unnecessary:

http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=34&level=1

Google image each of their names if youre interested in what they look like. Like I said, avoid HK Hooks for sling use. QD Swivels are fine so long as they feature rotation-limited swivel cups, that will be a feature listed in the Swivel mount, not the QD Swivel itself. Theyre very easy to operate with a single hand while you hold your weapon with your other hand, but if they ever do break youre rather shit out of luck as few QD Swivel cups are compatible with just loops of webbing. In my humble opinion, MASH hooks are the way to go but everybody has their own preference. To MASH hooks' credit, there is no mechanism to break and they are extremely secure. Slightly more difficult to operate single handed, but you get used to it. Measure your sling webbing's width, you probably want 1" hardware but some slings have weird specs..

Good luck.

Bauer C
08-03-11, 16:36
Anything available locally? Like from home depot or lowes?

reccerecon
08-03-11, 16:48
I've never seen any hooks but I think they have Fastex buckles, it's not high speed but it would work. There's always the old way of doing things with 550 cord and metal cloths hangers, it's cheap, easy to replace and last forever.

Lincoln7
08-03-11, 16:51
I picked up a set of HK type hooks from Midway and they are holding up fine. Not an amazing piece but they are working fine. Attached them to the ends of a stock nylon web sling.

Pax
08-03-11, 18:34
Most REIs generally stock or can special order REI branded Side Release Buckles and ladder locks. Some of their climbing webbing is also fine for slings, not the best but it works. Most of it is thick and difficult to thread through ladder locks made for 1" 17337 webbing. Unless you're using a Front Sight Block-mounted sling mount and simply routing the webbing through a slot on a stock in order to attach the sling, ladder locks and SRBs will be useless to you in creating a sling without aid from some sort of attachment hardware that is not available at any local shop. If you've got a great local gunshop, they might stock some QD Swivel attachments. Generally youve gotta order stuff to get good stuff.