PDA

View Full Version : BCM vs. Noveske Upper

WS6
08-03-11, 23:33
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-BFH-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-LaRue-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20lt12.htm

vs.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lrlp-556&cat=138&page=1&search=&since=&status=

In fact, are BCM barrels Noveske Barrels? They are hammer forged and sans M203 cut-out notch.

Does BCM pin the gas-block on the upper I linked to, or do they use set-screws? What gas-block is used? (LaRue?)

I think the LaRue rail is better than the SWS rail, but if my thinking is wrong, feel free to inform me how.

Since this barrel is not very heavy (not a 24" heavy setup or something) I don't think the MUR is necessary, even though it's nice.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-03-11, 23:38
Rumor has it that BCM uses FN barrels so I suppose it's possible they are at least similar. I'd go BCM just because I don't really care to pay the extra chunk of change for a MUR upper, which I could care less about for a standard general purpose rifle or SBR.

WS6
08-03-11, 23:41
Rumor has it that BCM uses FN barrels so I suppose it's possible they are at least similar. I'd go BCM just because I don't really care to pay the extra chunk of change for a MUR upper, which I could care less about for a standard general purpose rifle or SBR.

Why would FN produce an M4 barrel sans M203 cutout notch? That's the only part that makes me question that.

spamsammich
08-04-11, 03:27
FN will hammer out barrels to whatever the customer specs. If Noveske doesn't want that stupid M203 notch, they don't get it. It's no secret that FN was supplying Centurion, Noveske and BCM with barrels as recently as last year. I don't know if the CHF scene has changed much now that DD has their forge up and running.

At one point BCM would dimple and set screw gas blocks with loctite to keep the set screw in place. With a protected gas block, that is really all that is necessary. I think they put a single pin in now if memory serves me correctly.

I've built 3 uppers with dimpled, set screw gas blocks and not a one has ever had issues with movement. In fact I had to tear one apart recently and it took a map gas torch, a punch, and a lot of swearing to disassemble as I had staked my set screws in place on top of using red loctite.