PDA

View Full Version : Developing: Possible Gunman at Virginia Tech

Travis B
08-04-11, 11:52
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/04/virginia-tech-on-lockdown-after-reports-gunman-near-campus/

The children told police they saw the man walking fast toward the volleyball courts, carrying what might have been a handgun covered by some type of cloth. Police swarmed the area but said they could not find a gunman matching their description. The university said on its website that no one else has reported a person with a gun or anything suspicious.

This is a bit concerning to me.

1. Given their past how do they decide to take these claims, by children, seriously or let them slide?

2. Is their heightened awareness worth scaring everyone there?

3. What if they don't respond and there is a gunman?

Tough time to be VT law enforcement. I hope they get this one straightened out.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-04-11, 13:51
I mean its about the same as calling in a rapist sighting because you saw a male walking down the street.

Some feminists would scratch their heads at that one, seeing no problem with it.

If they are clearing every building, I wonder how many weapons they will find from people that will never be put into that position again.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-04-11, 13:52
Belmont

I own you! I know what you are going to write before you do!

Weird time warp in the thread.

BrianS
08-04-11, 14:01
Here's a crazy idea: Let people who are allowed to legally own and carry firearms nearly everywhere else also carry them on the VT Campus. Then if somebody thinks they saw a gun it doesn't really matter. It would be just like a guy with a gun call anywhere else, probably not a violation of the law, and if it is some psycho probably plenty of people in the area able to to defend themselves. Not that big a deal.

Belmont31R
08-04-11, 14:28
It was all over the news, and all of it stemming from one person saying they might have seen someone carrying a gun under a cloth.

WTF is wrong when that type of report turns into national news with a gunman loose on campus, and the police are clearing every building?

I mean its about the same as calling in a rapist sighting because you saw a male walking down the street.

Smuckatelli
08-04-11, 14:58
Here's a crazy idea: Let people who are allowed to legally own and carry firearms nearly everywhere else also carry them on the VT Campus. Then if somebody thinks they saw a gun it doesn't really matter. It would be just like a guy with a gun call anywhere else, probably not a violation of the law, and if it is some psycho probably plenty of people in the area able to to defend themselves. Not that big a deal.

A Virginia CCW holder that is not an employee or student can conceal carry on VT's campus.

BrianS
08-04-11, 15:16
A Virginia CCW holder that is not an employee or student can conceal carry on VT's campus.

What does Virginia have against employees and students? Seems weird they changed the law to allow carry but still forbid the people most likely to be there? WTF?

:confused:

Smuckatelli
08-04-11, 15:36
Wait, what? In NC, it's a felony to get too close to campus with a weapon, concealed or otherwise.

Felony if you are a student, misdemeanor if you are not :confused:

http://concealedcampus.org/stateinfo.php?sid=68&fd=lpcc&name=North Carolina

Travis B
08-04-11, 16:19

Wait, what? In NC, it's a felony to get too close to campus with a weapon, concealed or otherwise.

Smuckatelli
08-04-11, 16:30
What does Virginia have against employees and students?

:confused:

It's Virginia Tech, not Virginia ;)

Virginia says that state schools can not ban valid CCW but they can ban employees & students.

Consistent with his recent opinion stating that self-defense is a valid reason for permit holders to carry in church, this most recent action enforces the fact that state agencies, such as public universities, do not have the authority to establish “policy” in direct violation of state law. Virginia does not expressly prohibit permit holders from carrying concealed for self-defense on university or college campuses.

While this opinion is good news for permit holders, the university or college still has authority over students and staff and actions could be taken to expel students or fire staff, should they violate the school’s policy. Should the school want to make their policy law, they would then be forced to go through the complete administrative process to have an official regulation added to the Virginia Administrative Code.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6976

BrianS
08-04-11, 16:34
It's Virginia Tech, not Virginia ;)

Virginia says that state schools can not ban valid CCW but they can ban employees & students.

Ah ok you didn't make it clear that was school policy. That is similar to the way it is in WA from my understanding of the RCW and WAC sections that apply.

When I go to school (college) I don't carry weapons because I could be expelled, and there might be applicable sections of the WAC that prohibit it as well. K-12 public education is different and still prohibited by law.

All that said it still seems like a huge over reaction to lock down the whole school because of a suspicious person.

CarlosDJackal
08-05-11, 08:24
a sighting of a man possibly carrying a gun by three teenage girls, led to a massive, precautionary reaction by Virginia Tech and law enforcement on Thursday.

The girls were at a camp on campus being run by Higher Achievement out of Washington D.C.

I'm willing to bet that this is an over reaction from people who are not aware that ALL law-abiding citizens have the right to keep and bear arms and to be able to defend themselves from the sum that roams out society. The guy probably had a hammer or a pair of pliers and was on his way to repair something. Even the description they provided is pretty generic:

* White
* 6 ft. tall
* Light brown hair
* Wearing blue and white vertical striped shirt
* Gray shorts
* Brown sandals
* No facial hair or glasses

Can anyone specify anything unique about these traits?

VooDoo6Actual
08-05-11, 08:40
I'm willing to bet that this is an over reaction from people who are not aware that ALL law-abiding citizens have the right to keep and bear arms and to be able to defend themselves from the sum that roams out society. The guy probably had a hammer or a pair of pliers and was on his way to repair something. Even the description they provided is pretty generic:

* White
* 6 ft. tall
* Light brown hair
* Gray shorts
* Brown sandals

Sounds like a minority & racial profiling to me.

Travis B
08-05-11, 08:41

* White
* 6 ft. tall
* Light brown hair
* Gray shorts
* Brown sandals

That almost fits me to a t. I better watch out for door kickers...

Jellybean
08-05-11, 08:56
It was all over the news, and all of it stemming from one person saying they might have seen someone carrying a gun under a cloth.

WTF is wrong when that type of report turns into national news with a gunman loose on campus, and the police are clearing every building?

Word.:cool:

This is just stupid.
And another prime example of the way the media overhypes things, which spurs people to even greater hights of paranoia.