PDA

View Full Version : Bases & Rings for Rem 700 in 308

BobM
08-04-11, 16:25
I've used Dual Dovetails and Mark 4 mounts from Leupold and currently have a Seekins set of base and rings on my LTR. They have all worked well, although the Dual Dovetail looks like it would probably be less rugged than the others.

Pappabear
08-04-11, 16:52
I asked this in another post and it got buried.

What rings and bases?
Also, my scope is a 1 inch tube.
Any thoughts appreciated?

carbinero
08-04-11, 18:21
I am happy with Leupold 2 piece bases and Warne rings. It was the least expensive, good quality mounting I could find. There are 100s of quality and more expensive set-ups...you will need to consider 1 or 2 piece bases. If you shoot long range, you may want a built-in elevation, like 10-20 MOA. Badger's website is helpful.

longball
08-04-11, 20:05
I'm also a fan of the leupold mounts. I have a set on a Savage 10fp .308 that have worked well. I've heard the Burris Xtreme rings are solid as well but haven't used a set. If I remember correctly Mel at sniper central uses them often to test rifles.

orkan
08-04-11, 21:19
In no particular order, different ones chosen for different rifles for different tasks.

Base:
Seekins
Nightforce
Badger

Rings:
IOR Vtac
Nightforce
Badger

I don't like the seekins rings because they have torx 25 screws instead of the nice big 1/2" nut.

ucrt
08-04-11, 21:35

I started using Burris Xtreme Mounts (LINK (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=965194)) with Leupold PRW Rings (LINK (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=122288)) and they are both steel and have been very solid.

The Burris mounts give you more than one adjustment slot and the Leupold rings clamp the scope in kind of a "cinch". Both very well thought out.

Just a note: On the rings, use a new dollar bill under the top ring to keep from scratching your scope as you snap it on the scope. They are very tight.

But maybe it's just me...

cheaptrick
08-05-11, 03:49
I like TPS rings, I have several sets, but have never used their bases. I assume they too are good to go.

As stated, there's a plethora of good to great quality rings and bases out there today.

CoryCop25
08-05-11, 04:46
EGW Bases
Burris rings

markm
08-05-11, 08:59
Warne 1 piece Steel Base is on my gun. Don't get that extra 20 MOA base. You can reach out to a thousand without it assuming your scope hase the adjustment.

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/ScopeMountSelection.asp

Pappabear
08-05-11, 09:38
Good info guys thanks. Looking at bases,

8X40 screws
6X48screws.

Would you use screws in gun or screws that come with bases?

Rem 700 308, SS, mil spec..bla bla

markm
08-05-11, 10:42
The base will come with the appropriate screws. There should just be headless screws in the receiver.

markm
08-05-11, 11:33
Suppose he wants to shoot farther than 1000 some day for the fun of it? Then he's restricted to hold overs.

We can't even get somewhere to shoot out to 5 hundo at this point. ;)

orkan
08-05-11, 12:15
Don't get that extra 20 MOA base. You can reach out to a thousand without it assuming your scope hase the adjustment.

I don't like assumptions. Secondly, even if it does have the adjustment, it will be nearly maxed out to get there. Lots of optics look like crap when maxed in either direction. With a 20MOA base, the 100yd zero is still usually 5-8 mils above bottoming out, and on a 20 mil optic will have the ability to get to well beyond 1000yds with a 18 or 20" 308. Farther still for a longer barrel. As a result, whether shooting at 100yds or 800yds, you'll be operating in the middle of the adjustment available in the scope as opposed to the max.

Take a 20 mil adjustment scope for instance. It will typically zero on a flat base around the center of the adjustment... leaving roughly 10 mils of elevation. (or less) My 18" 308 needs 11.8 mils to get to 1000yds most days. At the very least, 11.0 on the hottest of days. With a flat base, and 10 mils available, there is no way I'm getting to 1k without holding over. Longer barrels, sure, you can get there with 9.5 or so... and less if you are using 155's going upward of 2950fps. Point being you are still maxed out on elevation. Why? Why deal with that problem when a sloped base will solve it and allow you to utilize ALL or most of your scopes internal adjustment?

Suppose he wants to shoot farther than 1000 some day for the fun of it? Then he's restricted to hold overs.

I can find NO reasons not to have a sloped base, and A LOT of reasons to have one.

So why not have it, and not need it... as oppose to need it, and not have it? What detriment is there to having it?

d90king
08-05-11, 12:31
I don't like assumptions. Secondly, even if it does have the adjustment, it will be nearly maxed out to get there. Lots of optics look like crap when maxed in either direction. With a 20MOA base, the 100yd zero is still usually 5-8 mils above bottoming out, and on a 20 mil optic will have the ability to get to well beyond 1000yds with a 18 or 20" 308. Farther still for a longer barrel. As a result, whether shooting at 100yds or 800yds, you'll be operating in the middle of the adjustment available in the scope as opposed to the max.

Take a 20 mil adjustment scope for instance. It will typically zero on a flat base around the center of the adjustment... leaving roughly 10 mils of elevation. (or less) My 18" 308 needs 11.8 mils to get to 1000yds most days. At the very least, 11.0 on the hottest of days. With a flat base, and 10 mils available, there is no way I'm getting to 1k without holding over. Longer barrels, sure, you can get there with 9.5 or so... and less if you are using 155's going upward of 2950fps. Point being you are still maxed out on elevation. Why? Why deal with that problem when a sloped base will solve it and allow you to utilize ALL or most of your scopes internal adjustment?

I can find NO reasons not to have a sloped base, and A LOT of reasons to have one.

So why not have it, and not need it... as oppose to need it, and not have it? What detriment is there to having it?

Your post have stuck out to me over the last month or so as being very authoritative and final. Can you share your background and expertise with us so that it will give us perspective when reading your confrontational posts.

I went to your blog but I cant find any bio that would give you any type of credibility over many of the posters you are calling out who are very knowledgeable and dialed in dudes.

You seem to always speak with authority on these subjects but I cant find anything that would justify such a strong stance. Also do you have any affiliation with Liberty? You seem to recommend them any chance you can and I see that you have them in your blog. Who is Scott to you? Do you get free items from them? Do they sponsor your blog?

d90king
08-05-11, 12:33
I have had very good success on a couple of bolt guns with NF rings. I also understand George at EGW is doing a great job on his new line of bases and rings.

I prefer LT mounts whenever I can use them...

markm
08-05-11, 12:35

We can't even get out to 500 at this point. For the type of shooting we're doing... I defer to the link and stand by the recommendation for a flat base.

Of course if the Mechanical Zero on the scope he mounts only leaves him 8 MOA of elevation adjustment, I'll buy him the 20 MOA base.

cheaptrick
08-05-11, 12:47
I agree with orkan.
No reason NOT to have a tapered base, that I'm aware of.
I've had probably 20 different scopes on a Badger 20 MOA rail and have yet to see one that I couldn't get a 100 yd zero on.

Scopes will come and go, at least for me. The rail stays with the rifle.

markm
08-05-11, 13:23
Read the link above. :rolleyes:

There's several reasons NOT to have a tapered base. There are also reasons for having one. The idea is to pick the right one for your shooting.

Unless you NEED a taper base, it's best NOT to run one.

sgtbutt
08-05-11, 13:27
Yeah this is one heck of a confusing post to read but anyways my two scents.
For mine and my wife's 700s we have the Leupy Mark 4 1 piece rail and their Med Mark 4 Rings (30mm). I love the set up since its a rock solid set up, fits great, heck I just duracoated my rifle and took the rings and base off completely and was decently close. I like the quality that Leupold has to offer. The 1 piece has either 15 or 20 MOA milled into it. I can't remember off the top of my head but I've been quoted both figures.
Now, the real question to the OP, what is your intended purpose? And are you constrained to a budget?
As it has been stated above having a rail with MOA built in allows you options. On the flip side, since 500 is max range you should be able to manage fine with a 0 MOA set up.
The biggest draw back that I can see from having a rail is that it raises the rear of your scope up. Not a problem for some but I had to use a padded Cheek Rest. Going with a 0 MOA typically allows for lower mounting, but it all depends on your objective bell and clearance.
Whatever your choice, be it a 1 piece rail or standard Leupy with dovetails do your research and try to figure out what works for you. And check what your buddies have on their rifles.

d90king
08-05-11, 13:34
Why are my post showing up ahead of posts that were posted long before mine?

cheaptrick
08-05-11, 13:38
Oh OK then.

orkan
08-05-11, 14:30
Yes something is very wrong with the forum. It was markm that disagree'd on the sloped bases. Sorry about that D90king.

I'm a nobody from South Dakota... I fired over 1000rnds of 308 alone last month. I stayed at a holiday inn express last week. :) If you want to know about my experience, PM me.

I word my posts strongly so it is impossible for anyone to misunderstand what I'm saying. This is America.

orkan
08-05-11, 14:31
Holy shit... it put my latest post about 3 posts above the last one that was made.

I think I'll stop posting until they figure this shit out. :dance3:

orkan
08-05-11, 14:45
D90king, I will not be baited into a personal conflict. I'm sick of people coming at me in a personal fashion on these forums, so I'm not going to even acknowledge it any more. I disagree with you so you try to single me out and claim I have no experience? The mods have made it quite clear that it isn't to be tolerated. So, if you want to debate my experience, do so in a PM. You want to attack ME, do so in a PM. You want to attack my stance on this issue, do it here.

In regard to my opinion on a sloped base. You have not answered my question. What detriment is there to having one?

Cheek weld? Stock packs and adjustable cheek stocks have solved that problem long ago. Many stocks you can't get a proper cheek weld on even with a flat base, and that has been the solution.

Running 20moa, 30moa, and 40moa bases have not stopped me from making hits to past a mile. So if sloped bases are so bad, why do they work for me and virtually everyone I shoot with?

Bottom line is that I believe you'll find yourself in the minority on this issue, with the exception of Mike Rescigno (Tac Ops), who's opinion on single-piece bases is well documented, yet still doesn't stop them from putting them on at the customers request or on some of their newer production rifles.

So, in closing I don't care about your experience, and I don't care if you know about mine. I care about your opinion. Please do debate the ISSUE AT HAND, as my mind is open. If you can present an intelligent argument that punches holes in mine, I'll concede.

d90king
08-05-11, 15:06
D90king, I will not be baited into a personal conflict. I'm sick of people coming at me in a personal fashion on these forums, so I'm not going to even acknowledge it any more. I disagree with you so you try to single me out and claim I have no experience? The mods have made it quite clear that it isn't to be tolerated. So, if you want to debate my experience, do so in a PM. You want to attack ME, do so in a PM. You want to attack my stance on this issue, do it here.

In regard to my opinion on a sloped base. You have not answered my question. What detriment is there to having one?

Cheek weld? Stock packs and adjustable cheek stocks have solved that problem long ago. Many stocks you can't get a proper cheek weld on even with a flat base, and that has been the solution.

Running 20moa, 30moa, and 40moa bases have not stopped me from making hits to past a mile. So if sloped bases are so bad, why do they work for me and virtually everyone I shoot with?

Bottom line is that I believe you'll find yourself in the minority on this issue, with the exception of Mike Rescigno (Tac Ops), who's opinion on single-piece bases is well documented, yet still doesn't stop them from putting them on at the customers request or on some of their newer production rifles.

So, in closing I don't care about your experience, and I don't care if you know about mine. I care about your opinion. Please do debate the ISSUE AT HAND, as my mind is open. If you can present an intelligent argument that punches holes in mine, I'll concede.

Dude, I think because the forum is jacked up with posts that maybe you have me confused with someone else.

I simply asked if you could tell us about your experience because of the way you come off in your posts. That was all, and I think you are reading waaaaay to much into simple questions. By knowing more about your bio, blog and affiliations it allows us to weigh your experience with your strongly worded posts. Nothing more.

For the record I wasn't the one who disagreed with you. I simply quoted a post of yours. I am interested in where you draw your opinions from though.

I very rarely waste time arguing on the internet unless its simply idiotic info being spouted.

d90king
08-05-11, 15:30
Holy shit... it put my latest post about 3 posts above the last one that was made.

I think I'll stop posting until they figure this shit out. :dance3:

:jester::haha::lol: Told ya it was all jacked up.

cheaptrick
08-05-11, 16:14
and offers advice based on what he reads on the web. :cool:

Me too. ;)

d90king
08-05-11, 16:32
Yes something is very wrong with the forum. It was markm that disagree'd on the sloped bases. Sorry about that D90king.

I'm a nobody from South Dakota... I fired over 1000rnds of 308 alone last month. I stayed at a holiday inn express last week. :) If you want to know about my experience, PM me.

I word my posts strongly so it is impossible for anyone to misunderstand what I'm saying. This is America.

No worries! I prefer a strong opinion based upon experience rather than someone who pussy foots around and offers advice based on what he reads on the web. :cool:

Hmmm, I wonder where this post will end up. :ph34r:

BobM
08-05-11, 19:04
Part of the reason I traded my Leupold M4 base/rings for the Seekins was that the Seekins had the 20moa slope. I didn't think I needed it when I bought the M4 base but started shooting at a venue out to and beyond 1000 yards. (also went from a 1" to a 30mm scope and the guy with the Seekins set needed 1" rings).

orkan
08-05-11, 20:50
No worries! I prefer a strong opinion based upon experience rather than someone who pussy foots around and offers advice based on what he reads on the web. :cool:

Hmmm, I wonder where this post will end up. :ph34r:

You and I will get along perfectly then! I don't open my mouth unless I have personal experience with the subject matter. ... and if I don't I will always preface the comments with something like "I don't know for sure" or "I read somewhere" or something similar.

/action: Orkan spins the roulette wheel to see where his post will land.