PDA

View Full Version : US Optics New 2 Reticle 1-4X Scope-One Reticle in Each Focal Plane

ucrt
08-04-11, 16:58

FWIW, I saw a video last week about a tour of the US Optics Plant. Pretty interesting. At the end of the video, a USO guy mentioned a new two reticle dual focal-plane scope from US Optics was coming out shortly.

I called US Optics to get more information on their new scope and this is what I was told:
It is a new 1-4X scope that will have one reticle in the FFP and the other reticle in the SFP.

The SFP Reticle will be an illuminated 22 moa circle with a 1 moa dot in the center at 4X. I was told the illumination will be daylight bright against a dark background but will washout against a white bright background.

The FFP Reticle will be Mil Dot and it will too fine a crosshair to easily notice on 1X.

This illuminated scope is supposed to be available in October for around $1600. I hope I got all of this right … but this is all I know at this point.

Sounds interesting, if only USO can make it weigh less than the rifle.

I have a few questions:
Is this a new idea or has another maker made a dual-reticle scope like this?

How practical do you think this "dual reticle scope" will be from USO?

Potomus
08-05-11, 21:40

FWIW, I saw a video last week about a tour of the US Optics Plant. Pretty interesting. At the end of the video, a USO guy mentioned a new two reticle dual focal-plane scope from US Optics was coming out shortly.

I called US Optics to get more information on their new scope and this is what I was told:
It is a new 1-4X scope that will have one reticle in the FFP and the other reticle in the SFP.

The SFP Reticle will be an illuminated 22 moa circle with a 1 moa dot in the center at 4X. I was told the illumination will be daylight bright against a dark background but will washout against a white bright background.

The FFP Reticle will be Mil Dot and it will too fine a crosshair to easily notice on 1X.

This illuminated scope is supposed to be available in October for around $1600. I hope I got all of this right … but this is all I know at this point.

Sounds interesting, if only USO can make it weigh less than the rifle.

I have a few questions:
Is this a new idea or has another maker made a dual-reticle scope like this?

How practical do you think this "dual reticle scope" will be from USO?

That's interesting. I called them a while back also and I am almost certain they told me the prototype had a circle dot, however, the production model would have an illuminated circle but not a dot. Maybe they meant not an illuminated dot?

They did say the illumination would be brighter than the previous SN 4 1-4X, but not aimpoint bright. It does sound like an interesting scope.

Stormrider
08-06-11, 11:14
Shepherd Scopes made the first FFP/SFP reticle that I know of years ago. I bought one for a 22lr and have been very happy with it. The URL:

http://www.shepherdscopes.com/company.asp

ra2bach
08-06-11, 13:29
doublefap...

ra2bach
08-06-11, 13:30
I seem to remember discussion here about this before. I tried but couldn't find it...

anyway, it's a very interesting concept but the question remains in its execution. there is a lot of discussion on the role of FFP and SFP in a 1-4 optic with high end swaying toward FFP. the fly in the ointment is if you have a large enough aiming point at low power, it grows unacceptably large as you zoom up in magnification. or vice versa...

I don't doubt they'll be able to make it work but it's almost certain to be bigger, more complex, and definitely heavier which goes against the direction I'd like to see in the low power variables. I'm eagerly waiting to see the first production units...

mattj
08-06-11, 16:13
If you have a few hours, I believe this thread on Sniper's Hide recounts the whole saga:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=82868

This 1-4 is sort of a proof-of-concept for what was proposed in this thread.

Has taken a long long time to come around to becoming reality... but it has been kind of cool watching it slowly inch towards reality.

A 17x power "full power scope" version is being worked on now. The idea is to have thin SFP style crosshair, with FFP markings for ranging and holdoffs.

chad
08-06-11, 17:43
This was one of the prototypes built back in February by using reticles that were available in the shop. Several new reticles have been designed and should be out in a few months.

4x at 10yds
http://images45.fotki.com/v148/photos/8/867328/9639621/DFP4x10yds-vi.jpg

1x at 10yds
http://images58.fotki.com/v511/photos/8/867328/9639621/DFP1x10yds-vi.jpg

4x at 100yds
http://images47.fotki.com/v1474/photos/8/867328/9639621/DFP4x100yds-vi.jpg

1x at 100yds
http://images55.fotki.com/v509/photos/8/867328/9639621/DFP1x100yds-vi.jpg

Singlestack Wonder
08-06-11, 21:12
Chad:

Has the illumination been improved to the point that it will be daylight visible?

ucrt
08-06-11, 22:37
This was one of the prototypes built back in February by using reticles that were available in the shop. Several new reticles have been designed and should be out in a few months.

=====================================

Thanks for the pics!

Just double checking...did I get the info I posted about the scope correct?

Thanks again.

chad
08-07-11, 13:02
Just double checking...did I get the info I posted about the scope correct?

Close enough.

shootist~
09-18-11, 14:35
I'm looking hard at the USO 1.5-6 right now. I think the dual focus reticle is now available on both the 1-4 and the 1-6. This could complicate things.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-18-11, 15:13
I'm looking hard at the USO 1.5-6 right now. I think the dual focus reticle is now available on both the 1-4 and the 1-6. This could complicate things.

1-6, or do you mean the 1.5-6? A 1-6 I think would be a great compromise since the 1-4 could use some more range and the 1-8 seems to be a technological issue- especially when you get these reticle systems involved.

A 1-6 under $2k with daylight SFP/FFP reticle would rule the 3-gun world, I think.

shootist~
09-18-11, 15:56
1.5-6 for sure since that's what they have available with 6x on the high end. Our 3 gun matches are split between a long range match that can run well over 400 meters (6x trumps 4x), and another match that's CQB in a 90 yd berm. 1.0 is nice on the short stuff, and that's a reason to have different rifles.

chad
09-19-11, 21:21
I have the 1-4x but the reticles were not in for the 1.5-6x last I checked. When I get one I will let you know and we can see about a link up if you want to try them.

docsherm
09-20-11, 04:38
Does anyone know if the 1.5-6X is day time visible?

chad
09-20-11, 19:18
Does anyone know if the 1.5-6X is day time visible?

The illumination won't be.

shootist~
09-20-11, 22:33
I have the 1-4x but the reticles were not in for the 1.5-6x last I checked. When I get one I will let you know and we can see about a link up if you want to try them.

Chad,

I would love to check one out in case you are passing through or near ABQ. I already have the 1st production run of the 1-6 DFP on order and expect it to arrive around Christmas.

I was told the only FFP reticle available right now is the #138 Mil Scale. I picked the segmented circle / dot for the SPF.

Is there anything you like or dislike about the #138? One Mil spacing seems reasonable on a 6X scope - hopefully the hash marks will be easy to pick up.

Joe

Singlestack Wonder
10-11-11, 21:20
The 1.5-6 is now listed at SWFA:

http://swfa.com/US-Optics-15-6x28-SN-4-30mm-Riflescope-P51368.aspx