PDA

View Full Version : Considering my optic options

Kfgk14
08-04-11, 22:03
Here is what I want in an optic:

-easily mountable on the AR-15
-capable of magnification in the 4-6x range
-has zero-magnification option
-compatible with LMT fixed rear sight (mounting will not interfere with LMT sight)
-Sub-2MOA dot/aiming point/reticle

Here are the optic setups I'm considering and would like to learn more about:
-4x32 ACOG, LaRue Mount, Docter optic on top
-Vortex Viper 1-4x in LaRue Mount
-EOTech with Primary Arms 7x Magnifier and flip-to-side mount
-Another variable-power optic in the 1-5x or 1-6x range...?

Thoughts? positives and negatives of the different systems?
I guess I'm looking for a second opinion on what I should get. I really haven't decided on which I want. And no, I can't get all of them.

Thanks

nimdabew
08-05-11, 00:54
Good luck trying to get any kind of magnification with a fixed LMT rear unless you go with a pistol scope.

Wiggity
08-05-11, 14:13
You may want to look at an aimpoint and a magnifier.

aaron_c
08-05-11, 18:22
You may want to look at an aimpoint and a magnifier.

I think he'd still have to get a folding BUIS for that setup as well, because the magnifier swings over the rear sight. Even if he ran it far enough forward for it to be totally in front of the rear sight, he'd have severe eye relief issues probably.

Magnification pretty much excludes the use of fixed rear sights unfortunately, at least to my knowledge.

Scoby
08-05-11, 19:54
I have a 1.5x5 Leupold Mk4 optic mounted in a LaRue QD mount. Also have Troy/Noveske BUIS. If needed, I'm prepared to remove the optic and go BUIS.

I'm not aware of a fixed rear BUIS that can be used with a magnified optic.

The ACOG with the doctor sight would accomplish the same thing seems to me.

Alaskapopo
08-05-11, 23:49

-compatible with LMT fixed rear sight (mounting will not interfere with LMT sight)

I guess I'm looking for a second opinion on what I should get. I really haven't decided on which I want. And no, I can't get all of them.

Dude get ride of the damn fixed LMT sight. The 1-6 Swarovski is perfect but expensive.
Pat

sgtjosh
08-06-11, 14:25
Your rear sight will certainly impede you when dealing with magnification. there are plenty of good BUIS on the market that will not get in the way of variable magnification...if they flip down. If you are so wedded to an iron sight, it sounds like your primary means of sighting and you might not really need magnification.

Kfgk14
08-06-11, 16:28
Are there folding BUIS that offer elevation adjustment? I haven't seen any, and really I want elevation adjustment on the rear sight. If I can't get both a magnified optic and a fixed rear sight, I'd be willing to spend the extra dough on a folding rear sight with elevation adjustment.

Thanks again.

aaron_c
08-06-11, 18:14
I believe the KAC 300m does.

opmike
08-06-11, 18:25
I'm not sure why you're so hung up on having an elevation-adjustable BUIS, but the KAC 200-600 units are the only ones that come to mind.

They start at ~$150.

Kfgk14
08-06-11, 19:21
I guess I'm just stubborn really...raised on rear elevation adjustment, that's what I want on my AR :)

totenkopf_u64
08-06-11, 19:31
Don't forget about the Matech BUIS. Elevation adjustment and they fold down.

Whether or not they fold low enough to clear an optic when not deployed... I have no idea.

Edit: They are pretty inexpensive too!

Kfgk14
08-06-11, 21:18
Totenkopf, thanks.

Alaskapopo
08-06-11, 23:22
Your front sight is for elevation adjustments. Its a simple matter of moving it up and down with a tool or a bullet tip to get the desired point of impact. What you think is an elevation adjustment on your LMT is a bullet drop compensator being used improperly.
Pat

aaron_c
08-07-11, 12:49
Your front sight is for elevation adjustments. Its a simple matter of moving it up and down with a tool or a bullet tip to get the desired point of impact. What you think is an elevation adjustment on your LMT is a bullet drop compensator being used improperly.
Pat

I thought that's what he was saying, just with improper terminology maybe...that he wants to be able to adjust for elevation on a longer range shot, etc.

Kfgk14
08-07-11, 12:54
I know it's used for BDC, I just didn't know the proper term to apply.

Thanks for explaining the terminology, pat.

totenkopf_u64
08-07-11, 17:55
My mistake. I did mean that it had a BDC. Given the context, I'm sure you all understood what I meant. I'll make sure to use proper terminology next time... Because that's why its there.

Alaskapopo
08-07-11, 19:25
I thought that's what he was saying, just with improper terminology maybe...that he wants to be able to adjust for elevation on a longer range shot, etc.

Sorry I just have seen a lot of new shooters using the BDC on the carry handle to adjust elevation during sight in.
Pat

aaron_c
08-07-11, 21:31
Sorry I just have seen a lot of new shooters using the BDC on the carry handle to adjust elevation during sight in.
Pat

No problem at all, it's good to point things like that out IMO, just to be sure!

rob_s
08-07-11, 21:37
Wow, talk about the tail wagging the dog...

You might be able to make a 3x Compact ACOG work, one of the TA33 models that has slightly longer eye relief. But the LMT is not only a fixed rear sight, it's a BIG fixed rear sight.

Were it me I'd use the irons correctly and make my BACKUP irons work around my PRIMARY sighting system in the optic.

NWPilgrim
08-07-11, 23:49
For one thing, once you have an optic then the iron sights are for backup use, i.e., secondary. Second, even a lower power scope on high rings will not clear the LMT fixed rear sight.

For another, you can sight in the irons for 200 yds and still be good for most needs out to 250 yds at least with NO adjustment to sight elevation. If you can hit well with irons past 250 then adjusting the front sight with a bullet tip ought not to be a big deal for you. I doubt you will be in such a hurry with a target at 300+ yds that you can't spare 10 seconds to lower the front sight.

Option 1: Put the LMT rear sight in the pistol grip for emergency use and rely on your primary optic (get a good enough quality that you can rely on it).

Option 2: Get a folding rear sight. I have a Troy BUIS on one carbine and it is very low when folded (about $120). Right now the Troy is the primary sight for that rifle but I plan to put an optic on it someday so being a folding one is nice. I have a Magpul BUIS on another rifle and it is easily low enough when folded for a 1-3x Weaver on a Wilson Combat hi-rise mount. I think the $50 Magpul sight is plenty good for backup sights.

JSantoro
08-08-11, 08:38
Option 1: Put the LMT rear sight in the pistol grip for emergency use...

http://www.lmtstore.com/accessories/sights.html

Take a look at these, and tell us: put the LMT rear sight in the pistol grip before or after using the shrink ray from Despicable Me?

Go to your room and think about what you've done. :no: :happy:

Scoby
08-08-11, 09:46
Option 1: Put the LMT rear sight in the pistol grip for emergency use and rely on your primary optic (get a good enough quality that you can rely on it).

Not too bad of an idea in theory I guess.
I don't know of a rear BUIS small enough to stuff in a pistol grip. I KNOW that the LMT will not fit in one.

You may want to think about this again.

NWPilgrim
08-10-11, 01:05
http://www.lmtstore.com/accessories/sights.html

Take a look at these, and tell us: put the LMT rear sight in the pistol grip before or after using the shrink ray from Despicable Me?

Go to your room and think about what you've done. :no: :happy:

:haha: OK I didn't know how big the LMT rear BUIS is. I am used to much smaller ones, but the LMT does look pretty huge compared to the pistol grip cavity. I guess that is why we have pockets, bags and such!

Seriously though, if the carbine is just for range use and home defense, how likely is it your optic would fail and would most SD engagements last long enough to remove an optic and replace it with a fixed BUIS? If you have a fixed BUIS I think you have to accept you will rely on the primary optic and it would take time to replace it with a fixed BUIS.

If you anticipate needing to switch to BUIS faster than this (carbine class, comat) then you really should get a folding BUIS that fits underthe primary optic.

ryr8828
08-10-11, 05:59

Thanks

On my sig 556ER I have a matech 600 meter folding rear sight, a primary arms 5x magnifier in a flip to side mount, and an eotech 3-0.
The magnifier clears the sight just fine.

I haven't seen a primary arms 7x magnifier so I don't how how much bigger it is than the 5x.
An eotech adjusting tool will fit between the 5x magnifier and the range adjustment on the matech sight loosely, but the stalk of a q tip won't fit (just to give you an idea using stuff I had handy laying on my desk).

The set up looks like this
http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz284/ryr8828/sig556004.jpg

Fr0ntal0b0t0my
08-11-11, 00:22
Matech on duty M4 behind Eotech, no problems to speak of. Agree with others that fixed LMT will no doubt impede. Otherwise I believe you are relegating yourself to the need for unlimited eye relief or non-magnified optic. Reference your optic dilemma; I so far am very pleased with my Viper PST 1 x 4 with Larue mount I have atop my 6.8 SPC. I have an Aimpoint Pro on my 5.56 with Troy BUIS. Good luck, because finding a do all optic is far more labor intensive than picking your AR.