PDA

View Full Version : Meprolight reflex sight learning experience...

TOrrock
08-05-11, 05:36
Sometimes you have to spend your own money to find out why people say to bypass these things....

The XPS should serve you very well, and as I'm sure you've seen here, the Aimpoint Micro's are a favorite as well.

ShipWreck
08-05-11, 06:29
I have been wanting to get a Meprolight reflex sight for a while... To replace the XPS Eotech on my PS90...

I have looked at them several times. And in the gun store, or even standing outside the gun store, they always seem nice... The idea of a decent battery free optic...

Someone let me borrow the Trijicon reflex sight over a year ago, but it washed WAY out too easily, and the small "dot" was always hard to find. I didn't like it at all...

The meprolight seemed to washout less, and it has a bullseye reticle... Easier to find... Larger than just a plain "dot"

I bought one at a gunshop yesterday and took it home.

I mounted it initially on a side rail and played with it a while - before I unmounted my eotech. I finally decided I would keep it. It did suffer from some washout, but it was not totally unusable. But, as you cross white walls with it (inside), sometimes the reticle gets VERY faint.

But, if you use a flashlight in a dark room, THEN you totally lose the bullseye on white colored objects/walls (it washes out in the flashlight's hotspot). I was gonna still keep it despite this, and possibly get a flashlight not quite as bright....

However, what made me change my mind totally (to not keep it)... After I took my eotech off, I tried to zero the Meporlight using my lasermax laser (already zeroed, and I know what distance to zero an eotech using it) as a guide.... Well, I noticed that as you turn the wheels to adjust the zero... If you actually push the whole optic on the right side, the entire thing moves on the base rails. Presumably, it bounces back to the same spot everytime. But, I just wondered if it would hold zero if it ever got knocked hard... It sorta freaked me out after using other optics before...I'd never seen an optic do that before....

Also, there is a bluish tint to the glass. However, with the way the PS90 is, it forces ya to have the optic fairly close to your face. Well, when it sits this close to your face, you end up seeing a something like the internals of the optic or something... You can actually see a line where the bluish tint meets an area with orange colored tint. It's rather bizarre. And, the dividing line is like at 30 degrees or something... Not perfectly horizontal....

If the optic was down the quadrail of a Ar, you probably wouldn't see this. But up close to your face on a PS90, it is rather strange.

Anyway, between these two things, I decided it wasn't worth the cost. I much preferred the eotech. Never an issue. I hate having to press a button a few times before the gun is ready to go (turning on the eotech and bringing up the brightness), but I just couldn't live with the meprolight.

I am so lucky they took the return back. Otherwise, I would have lost about $50 reselling it myself... But, now I've gotten over the lusting for the optic everytime I see it in a catalog..

ShipWreck
08-05-11, 21:49
Sometimes you have to spend your own money to find out why people say to bypass these things....

The XPS should serve you very well, and as I'm sure you've seen here, the Aimpoint Micro's are a favorite as well.

Well, I had tried the trijicon. The meprolight is better.

Tomac since told me that the trijicon and the meprolight both move to the right when you push on the optic. I never zeroed the trijicon when he loaned it to me. I just mounted it and played with it for a while.

Anyway, I was willing to make some concessions to be battery free. But in the end, I just couldn't live with it. Oh well...