PDA

View Full Version : ANone measure a Glock 5.5lb connector with an 6lb Trigger Spring?

rauchman
08-05-11, 08:12
I've got a Gen3 G19 w/ a standard 5.5lb using the 6lb trigger spring. It's my favorite setup of the various trigger combo's I've tried. It retains the relative crispness of the stock trigger w/ a lighter feel, no mushyness.

I've tried a variety of connectors w/ and w/out the NY1 trigger spring. All the 3.5lb connectors I've tried (Lone Wolf and Glock) do produce a lighter pull (upside) that leave the triggers feeling mushy, especially on reset (downside). The NY1 trigger spring w/ 3.5lb connector is interesting, but not for me. It dramatically changes the feel of the trigger giving it a very revolver type feel.

ETA: I have no idea how my post is above the OP's post????

mkmckinley
08-05-11, 08:23
Thanks for the reply. What you describe is basically what I'm looking for. I don't want to give up the relative crispness of the stock setup. Even if I did like the NY1/3.5lb combo I don't want to change the feel of my personal weapon drastically from that of my issued one. Also, one could theoretically replace a stock 5.5lb spring with a visually identical Wolff 6lb spring into a work gun but adding a big green NY1 spring is out of the question. I wish I had easy access to spare parts so I could just try it myself but I'm OCONUS at the moment.

mkmckinley
08-05-11, 08:57
I know, the last thing we need is another Glock trigger thread but I've searched and can't find a definitive answer from people I trust. I've been issued a Glock 19 to carry at work. I'm switching my training from my personal M&P9 for CCW and issued M9 for duty to "all Glock 19 all the time". I grew up shooting stock Glock 5.5lb and Beretta M9 triggers. I don't have any huge issues using either but I've noticed that I shoot my M&P9FS/DCAEK/RAM quite a bit better than either of those. I think part of that is due to the slightly lighter trigger provided by Apex. Yes, I've become spoiled, but I'm wondering if an extra power (i.e. Wolff 6lb) trigger spring would turn a stock 5.5 lb Glock trigger into something close to the M&P w/DCAEK. Has anyone actually measured this setup?

FWIW I've tried the 3.5lb connector with NY1 spring and decided it's just not for me. I like the reset but it's a combination of heavy and mushy that I'm having a hard time training through. I don't see how simply using an extra power trigger spring would be any detriment to reliability and, hell, might even enhance it. Also, it's my understanding that the stock trigger setup is actually a bit more than 5.5lb. What are the chances the 6lb trigger spring would result in about a 5lb actual pull weight with a similar break and reset to the stock setup?

I found this but it doesn't list the combo I'm describing: http://www.glockmeister.com/EvaluationofTriggerPulls.asp

outrider627
08-05-11, 11:07
I recently tried out the Glockmeister 6lb trigger spring with three different connectors. It didn't work out for me, but that may be the result of something else and not the fault of the trigger spring.

I installed the GM spring in my dad's Gen 1 G17. I found that the 6lb trigger spring did reduce the trigger pull weight, but it was negatively affecting the reset. During the reset, the trigger would not move forward all the way. It would only reset to the point where the trigger would break. I found this strange because many people praised the GM spring online and never wrote of something like that.

I'm not a glock expert, but I think it could be the striker spring that's causing this problem for me. Since the striker is supposed to catch the trigger bar and bring it back to firing position, I think it could be that the striker spring that is not strong enough to overpower the GM spring's increased strength. This G17 is 25 years old, and Grant recently posted about replacing springs in a Gen 2 G19 as preventative maintenance. With the exception of the recoil spring, all the springs are still the original in my G17. I guess it's possible that the striker spring has lost some strength over time, but again I'm not a glock expert. Maybe it'll work better for you with newer Glock.

I did measure some trigger pull weights with various connector and trigger spring combos. This is what I recorded for the stock connector:

5.5 Connector/Stock Spring: 6 lbs
5.5 Connector/GM Spring: 5.5lbs

I tried a new connector that I did end up liking more than stock and 3.5 connectors. Its the Ghost 4.5 Ranger. It's lighter than the stock 5.5, but does not add the increased mushiness and creep of the 3.5 connector. With 4.5 Ranger installed I got these trigger pull weights:

4.5 Ghost Ranger/ Stock Spring: 5.0 lbs
4.5 Ghost Ranger/ GM Spring: 4.5lbs

Because of the reset problems with the GM spring, I currently have the Ranger and stock trigger spring installed. If I could solve the reset problem, I would definitely go with the Ranger/GM setup.

mkmckinley
08-05-11, 18:44
Outstanding, thank you.

samuse
08-06-11, 19:23
I installed the GM spring in my dad's Gen 1 G17. I found that the 6lb trigger spring did reduce the trigger pull weight, but it was negatively affecting the reset. During the reset, the trigger would not move forward all the way. It would only reset to the point where the trigger would break. .

I had the same result in a Gen 3 Glock 17.

I put in the spring kit, went to the range, then went and shot a match with it. Something wasn't "right", so I went through all the safety checks and there it was.... I'd been using a gun in a VERY unsafe condition.

If I had dropped the gun and it landed on the back, it would have fired. More than likely at me or someone in the vicinity. I felt like such an ass.

Now I never dick with my Glock springs and just use the gun the way it came.

BufordTJustice
08-07-11, 03:43
I've used the GM XP trigger spring and the Wolff XP trigger spring. If they are installed with the end of the spring not properly seated on the bottom of the cruciform, you'll experience binding. I installed incorrectly like this and experienced a lack of full reset.

Upon disassembly and proper installation, problem was solved. If you're using a stock striker spring and the addition of an XP trigger spring causes the trigger to fail to reset, another issue (usually friction) is at work. The XP spring is a 6lb spring. I once had a Glock rep tell me that the spring could theoretically be 8lbs and still work with the stock striker spring if the gun were relatively clean...so the added spring strength alone will not cause a failure.

I've heard that some gen4 and late gen3 trigger housings do not allow the trigger XP springs to properly move about. I have not seen one in person yet. I run a 6lb wolff trigger spring in my gen4 G26 and I am very pleased with it. No issues whatsoever.

Hope this info helps.