PDA

View Full Version : New Glock 17 RSA; 0-2-4

Redberens
08-05-11, 17:23
On Tuesday, the Glock LE rep for the WY, CO & NM area met with me. I had contacted him to discuss the weak ejection issues of my gen 4 model 17, and stove pipe malfunctions I encountered. My G17 with RSU prefix came with the 0-2 RSA. He brought several 0-2-1 RSA's to try as an interim fix, as well as the new 'dot' connectors.

He told me that before coming over, he called Georgia to see if there were any more updates he should know about. He was told a brand new RSA had just arrived from Austria that morning, and that they would ship them out ASAP.

We did test fire with the interim 0-2-1 RSA. Usually, I don't hope a weapon will fail, but that morning I did. You know how it is when you call the IT guy or mechanic to fix a problem that happens to you, only to watch the item perform flawlessly when they try it themselves? This time, it did stovepipe for him when he shot it. Our practice ammo is the American eagle 115gr fmj. We both noted that when shooting, the brass seemed to trickle out, landing at our feet, or just a foot or two to the side. With our duty +P 124gr Gold Dots, ejection was not an issue. the cases landed 8-12 feet to my 4:00 without issue. We both agree this appears to be an ammo+oversprung RSA problem, and that with +P ammo, the issue disappears. He took photos of the malfuction, and said his supervisor was expecting his report on it.

This morning, the package from Glock arrived. The RSA looks just like the 0-2-1, but is marked 0-2-4. It feels slightly easier to pull back the slide, but only time will tell if Glock has finally fixed the RSA/ejection issues.

Alpha Sierra
08-05-11, 19:42
Does it have the metal cup containing the first coil of the large spring like the 0-2-1 RSA does?

Timbonez
08-05-11, 23:43
I thought the problems with ejection and extraction extended beyond what was once thought as too heavy of a RSA. Haven't people been discussing issues with the extractor and the extractor's depressor/plunger assembly?

Alpha Sierra, I would assume the 0-2-4 is visually identical to the 0-2-1 like the OP said... meaning it's for the non-counterbored slides.

Magic_Salad0892
08-05-11, 23:48
I'd rather have a heavier spring. Standard O-2-1 is better, IMHO.

Alpha Sierra
08-06-11, 07:04
I thought the problems with ejection and extraction extended beyond what was once thought as too heavy of a RSA. Haven't people been discussing issues with the extractor and the extractor's depressor/plunger assembly?

Alpha Sierra, I would assume the 0-2-4 is visually identical to the 0-2-1 like the OP said... meaning it's for the non-counterbored slides.
It is possible that even the 0-2-1 spring is still too strong when all the design tolerances of the pistol are taken into account. That probably explains why it works in some guns beautifully (like in mine) but not in others.

Not having any other choice of spring then leaves people fiddling with ejectors and extractors.

Timbonez
08-06-11, 09:02
It is possible that even the 0-2-1 spring is still too strong when all the design tolerances of the pistol are taken into account. That probably explains why it works in some guns beautifully (like in mine) but not in others.

Not having any other choice of spring then leaves people fiddling with ejectors and extractors.

Fair enough and valid put. Tolerance stacking may be the issue so I understand what you're saying.

fuse
08-06-11, 09:07
Check out the white sound defense HRED. its fixed some problem glocks, though not all.

Redberens
08-06-11, 11:43
Does it have the metal cup containing the first coil of the large spring like the 0-2-1 RSA does?

It looks exactly the same. I counted the same number of large outer coils as well.

Alpha Sierra
08-06-11, 18:03
It looks exactly the same. I counted the same number of large outer coils as well.
Thanks.

While I am happy with the 0-2-1 (no malfs since installation 1K rounds ago) I may get a -4 to test and see if the ejection pattern is a little more consistent.