PDA

View Full Version : Why is the scope mounted so far back?

TXBob
08-05-11, 18:30
Lower power scopes generally have more eye relief. I think if it interferes with function of your iron sites I'd definitely moving forward couple of rails.

In the end it's your rifle so do with it which want and set it up to your preference

hedp
08-05-11, 18:43
I received my patrol rifle from the local shop and they mounted the scope on it for me. My department then asked to have it brought in so they could go over it.

When I got it back I noticed they had moved scope to the rear about 3 gaps on the Picatanny rail. I'm assuming this has to do with eye relief. However, it is now so close to the back up iron sights that I cannot mount my flip up scope cover. The scope is in fact almost touching the iron sights with less then an inch between them.

I should note it's a Leupold Prismatic 1X4.

Was moving the sight so far back really worth it? Or can I move it forward 1-2 gaps on the Picatanny rail and be fine and not effect the eye relief?

Quiet-Matt
08-05-11, 19:20
Scope placement and eye relief is for you to determine, not the shop or your department. Try different positions with both the scope and your stock to determine the optimal position for you.

Scoby
08-05-11, 19:42
Scope placement and eye relief is for you to determine, not the shop or your department. Try different positions with both the scope and your stock to determine the optimal position for you.

No doubt.

On my recce I have a magnified optic and BUIS. I cannot deploy the BUIS with the optic mounted. The optic is mounted in a LaRue OQ mount where if anything happened to the optic, I could snatch it off and go BUIS.

Have you tried adjusting it yourself? It is afterall, your life we're talking about here.

Blowby
08-05-11, 20:04
Personal preference on placement based on your ability to view properly. Like Scoby posted above, my recce with magnified will be in a different location than a non magnified red dot. Adjust at the range your position until you have a shadow of the body and can see clearly from your cheekweld on a red dot. Zero and your GTG.